Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it a free to play game, and will it be locked behind the Nintendo Online paywall soon? In the recent controversy regarding crossplay I haven't seen this issue tackled, yet I think it should to be a really big issue regarding consumer rights. F2P (free to play) games should not be locked behind a paywall, but they are on Xbox Live and possibly on Nintendo as well. What's your stance on this?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
We've had multiple topics about this already. I think paying for multiplayer is shit in any way. But I don't see why Fortnite players should be able to play online while Battlefield players should not.
Online is online.

Oct 25, 2017
It's embarrassing that they're fighting being pro consumer while at the same time doing this. It's also a reason why FFXIV won't come to the system either.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the fact a game is f2p has any bearing on it whatsoever. Why should you need to pay $60 for a game and also pay to play online? The distinction by Sony is completely arbitrary.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's more anti-consumer than Sony not allowing cross play and limits their potential revenue from Fortnite players to only those with a Gold subscription.

But I mean, they're main reason for keeping it like that is because they like the money.

Oct 26, 2017
We had this thread and was closed.

Short version: No one cares about the requirments and people are happy to pay XBL to play Fortnite on Xbox.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Why does any game that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo do not run the servers of require PS+/Xbox Live/Nintendo Switch Online?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's embarrassing that they're fighting being pro consumer while at the same time doing this. It's also a reason why FFXIV won't come to the system either.

Citation needed. This was never related to that issue.

Back on the topic, there have been multiple threads about this, and it's still what it's always been: f2p games shouldn't have the hidden cost of multiplayer fee. I'd rather not have to pay for multiplayer regardless, of course, but it is what it is.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

They're not fighting being "pro consumer". They are simply open to cross play. Phil Spencer's very mantra is to end the vitriol and competition and to work together as a whole to make gaming better.

zoltan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because between two shitty policies Microsofts is shittier, and Sony is as always less consistent, but also it makes sense because if you need subscription game isn't free to play

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

At least the policy is consistent: lock every multiplayer behind paywall or none. I forsee that due to F2P games requiring no PS+, developers separate the SP aspect from the MP aspect, offer MP for free that requires no PS+ and have it be riddled with microtransactions.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well the money for all of Microsofts great pro consumer initiatives has to come from somewhere.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Why does any game that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo do not run the servers of require PS+/Xbox Live/Nintendo Switch Online?

This, basically. The f2p vs full-priced (or even budget priced) title makes little sense as a distinction for what amounts to the same service. It would make far more sense if games with dedicated servers host on XBL or PSN required an online subscription, as that's actually a part of the service that would require a cost to keep running.

Shmunter

Banned
May 28, 2018
Sony has taken free to play to mean exactly that. Microsoft charges for free to play multiplayer....err, yes it's counterintuitive.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The issue is simple for me. You pay Xbox to play online. IF you accept that (and many don't) then I'm not convinced that one game should waive that fee over another. If I'm paying as a regular battlefield player to play the game online then why should a regular fortnite player not pay for the same service I am?

I get the whole F2P - hidden charge thing.

I think the bigger issue is ending the need to pay to play online and turning the XBL/PSN subs into something else. I mean, for example, paying to use certain online services such as larger parties or party voice chat or stuff where MS are actually providing servers and coding time to create. If I play BF on my own I'm not actually using an MS service at all.....

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Microsoft doesn't change its attitude, will you convert to the switch for next gen ?

weltalldx

Feb 23, 2018
This is an excellent point that somehow conveniently went uncovered by the media. How does a game that requires Xbox Live Gold (sold separately) on one platform get to take the high ground when Sony offer it truly free?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It is food for thought tho.. so a 'free to play' game filled with microtransactions, lootboxes, etc. that is played online shouldn't require the multiplayer fee, while a $60 game should? Only for the words 'free to play'?

Apart from the fact that the whole thing is shitty. You shouldn't be paying for online play. It's stupid.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
Paying to play online at all is the bigger question here. The fact that people bought into the notion of using your own internet behind an additional paywall is pretty disheartening. Even Nintendo wants a piece of that pie now.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
As a recent Xbox owner this concerns me more tan crossplay to be honest (which I dont really care about, especialy if that means getting destroyed by PC players or opens the door to cheaters).

Oct 25, 2017
Is this for all f2p games on Xbox? Kinda surprised this was swept under the rug

Yes.

Honestly this isnt really much of a problem since no one seems to care about it much like cross play. I find what nintendo is about to do even worse. Gating all their free online game right now under a paywall. I don't think we've ever seen a company do this before.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If Microsoft doesn't change its attitude, will you convert to the switch for next gen ?

Jokes aside, this is a valid point.

Why is the lack of crossplay on PS4 such a hot topic right now, yet the fact that you have to pay to play f2p titles on Xbox Live doesn't stir nearly the same kind of controversy. Of the two, I know which would inconvenience me more.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it a free to play game, and will it be locked behind the Nintendo Online paywall soon? In the recent controversy regarding crossplay I haven't seen this issue tackled, yet I think it should to be a really big issue regarding consumer rights. F2P (free to play) games should not be locked behind a paywall, but they are on Xbox Live and possibly on Nintendo as well. What's your stance on this?

To answer that second question, since no one else did, I think it was confirmed that on the Switch you would not need the online service to play Fortnite when it launches

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the fact a game is f2p has any bearing on it whatsoever. Why should you need to pay $60 for a game and also pay to play online? The distinction by Sony is completely arbitrary.
The original point was probably to make F2P games have the smallest possible barrier to entry so players will be more likely to pay for microtransactions in these games.

Now that we have paid games full of bullshit microtransactions (thanks Activision) the distinction is indeed much more arbitrary. But that was the policy at PS4 launch and it will probably stay this way until PS5

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Jokes aside, this is a valid point.

Why is the lack of crossplay on PS4 such a hot topic right now, yet the fact that you have to pay to play f2p titles on Xbox Live doesn't stir nearly the same kind of controversy. Of the two, I know which would inconvenience me more.
Some people are desperate to shit on Sony and considering how dominant they are this gen the're grasping for every little straw.

Oct 25, 2017
1. F2P is commonly early access which Sony often doesn't want to charge on.
2. F2P is extremely high in MTX Sony figures they'll make money from that.
3. F2P games often don't have a large audience so it hurts it by requiring it.
4. Sometimes F2P has BS like that Fuel system in Ace Combat Infinity that literally controlled how many matches you could play without buying fuel with actual money.

Better to just avoid it all together.