• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This seem to be a trending thing, like if you just start to cater to this crowd, your suscess rate will increase massivly. Why so? Or am I misstaken?

And this catering... is usualy how they focus on more liberal and left leaning sites/people (just went down a rabbit hole where the old place have a whole thread dedicated to this site and even a Twitter account with "hot takes" from this site).

Is there any truth to this? Or am I just imagine stuff?

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
It's easier to pump out content when you don't actually have to do any research or even know what the fuck you're talking about.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I think YouTube's shitty algorithm makes alt-right content seem more successful than it really is. Very few of these losers have successful Patreons or book tours or whatever. There's a reason why alt-right platforms like Gab (Nazi Twitter), Voat (Nazi Reddit), etc struggle so hard with building and retaining an active userbase.

Oct 25, 2017
Alt-right plays to emotions and is devoid of any sort of intellect. It's always been easy to play to the lowest common denominator.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean financially? People who are far too online will give money to other people if they think doing it pisses off people they dislike.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Appeal to anger without any actual research, duping people who feel like they need leaders, being completely un-self critical and thereby appearing "bold" etc.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Male outrage is a bottomless well that can be drawn from indefinitely across all genres/mediums/etc.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Aren't artists, actors etc often liberal and left leaning? If so it would give that the alt right crowd audience as such hasn't got as many heroes to choose from. Consequently any creator that starts to seek the admiration of that crowd will have an easier time than if trying to compete in the much more crowded liberal/left space.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that NeoGAF has a very small amount of users at any given time compared to here. So Evilore's catering didn't really work all that well for him.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Without clicking through on all of these, I'm not sure which, if any, are alt-right. At a glance though, there seems to be a lot of left-leaning content dominating that chart.

Edit: Oh I see Colin's Last Stand in there lol
Yeah I'm actually surprised at the left-leaning creators topping the list. Like holy shit at Chapo Trap House making $130k per month. Those dudes must be swimming in cash.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because you have more to offer your audience.

Confirming the reasoned beliefs of your audience has less of an appeal than providing a justification for ideas that come from an uglier, irrational, emotional place.

You look at 'Change my mind' videos and it isn't about debate, but 'If someone tries to make you feel bad about what you believe here's what you can say'.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
It's an easy way to feed angry masses what they want to hear. In a world where lots of people are tired of being told that they're racist/sexist/etc, anything that is fighting back against "PC" society is going to attract a lot of attention. And it thrives on that negative attention, giving viewers boogeymen to hate and offering plausible sounding conspiracies that make them double down on it. They keep coming for the dopamine rush.
It also helps that the people who spend the most time online are, well, nerds. Nerds are generally more likely to feel insecure and persecuted and are eager to eat that shit up.

Liberals have similar stuff, sure, but it's not quite the same.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
it's easier mentally to be on the right. you basically just turn your brain off or don't allow any critical thinking or self reflection. it's very attractive to people for that reason.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Easy answer, alt right people are super dumb and easy to make them think what you want them to think. Why else do you think they demonize any one that is not a "blue coller worker" I live in a red town in a blue state, you mention learning anything or gasp reading a book you get dirty looks.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Easy answer.

It's wrong to be alt right. They GENERALLY are not represented in mainstream media. Not at the movies. Not on regular TV. Not on Netflix shows.

Alt right videos on YouTube or elsewhere is the only place they have to view content that caters to them.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
I've always figured it's because when you make the kind of content that panders to that crowd, you're basically telling them that everybody but them is wrong and they don't have so expend any effort to change or grow as a person. I can see how that'd be an incredibly intoxicating prospect for viewers and why they'd flock to content that does it.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
quote-i-ll-tell-you-what-s-at-the-bottom-of-it-if-you-can-convince-the-lowest-white-man-he-lyndon-b-johnson-107-70-60.jpg

That last part is the key.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm not saying the left is full of geniuses or anything but hey are a bit more of s discerning audience in general, according to this guy who literally wrote fake news for a living, and I quote, "Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait."

It's a little bit like the sad truth behind most online scams, if you say stupid shit (like put typos in your scam email) you're not messing up you're actually optimizing your time by having targets self select as being dumb enough to fall for even the most absurd shit, the alt right online space is basically a scam and it just so happens that their niche is large enough to sustain them and craves bullshit on a regular basis.

Oct 26, 2017
Alt-right talking points are much easier to communicate with short slogans and click bait style titles. People gobble up these videos because they want their prejudices confirmed.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's money for Youtubers on any part of the political spectrum, there's a bunch of successful left and right wing channels, most likely because of the current climate.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I feel like there's money for Youtubers on any part of the political spectrum, there's a bunch of successful left and right wing channels, most likely because of the current climate.
This is true but proportionally the alt right is way over represented and their online personalities get far more traction than you'd think they should, I feel like that's what the op was trying to get at.

The "left" is a huge number of people, the "right" is a slightly smaller but still huge number of people (based on election results in the USA by sheer volume anyway), and the alt right is a smaller fraction of that right group yet they somehow have a fuckton of people with popular online presences.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
The alt right react to everything, and make a video about it therefore the political side of YouTube is clogged with this knee jerk reaction shit while the left drip feed well researched, and entertaining videos that educate their audience. As much as I love Contrapoints etc, they take forever releasing videos. In the time between videos, Paul Joseph Watson would have already released 30 videos about how pegging is the death of masculinity.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
outrage merchants are just one of many cottage industries on youtube. as for the alt right i'd like to think it's more of a zeitgeist thing, as the trump era peters out (hopefully sooner than later) those channels will be yesterday's news

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Without clicking through on all of these, I'm not sure which, if any, are alt-right. At a glance though, there seems to be a lot of left-leaning content dominating that chart.

Edit: Oh I see Colin's Last Stand in there lol
That's pretty much it there's a lot of benign YouTube channel like reaction channels and bunch of leftists stuff

At least from what I've seen

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Liberals and leftists aren't smart I say that as a left leaning person lol we can be just as dumb as everyone else

Buuuuuuuut

It's proven that left leaning people (including liberals) are way more discerning about fake news than the average alt right it's a bit harder to make fake news. It's probably way the left eat itself a lot

Their views aren't super mainstream so they congregate on YouTube to say shit you couldn't get away with on mainstream media besides Fox news getting untapped market

They pump a lot of videos reacting to everything so they dominate the algorithm. You're lucky to find a decent leftist that release more than one video a month because the ones on YouTube tends to do hours of research especially to debunk alt right videos that requires a lot of sources. A short Steven Crowder video on the crusades took a popular leftist historian channel an hour to debunk because he said a lot of crazy shit and likely hours of resources and finding the right sources to use.

A lot of them also compares to most leftist videos also from what I've seen don't require effort so it's easier to pump videos

Also not exclusive to right leaning stuff the algorithm loves outrage

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Because we know that as a group, alt right fuckers are one of the most "engaged" types of viewers on the planet. They will reliably like, share, retweet, post, sub, and turn on notifications for content that helps prop up the bubble they NEED to stave off cognitive dissonance.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Idk If it's easier to be successful but it's definitely less to make the content. Like just say a bunch of random crazy stuff like Alex Jones or something about censorship.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
It's because right-leaning incels don't have friends or social lives. They literally just sit on YouTube all day and complain.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If you're dumb enough to buy into alt-right bullshit, you're probably dumb enough to click on some ads.