• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would also like to add most people do think he does what he says, re: crossplay and recently with PC support starting with MCC on Steam, so he at least seems to try to act on what he says/promises.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Because gamers are weirdly susceptible to marketing, to the point where the highlights of their year are literal commercials and presentations by corporate executives.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Phil is a cool, likable guy who has started steering the Xbox brand back in the right direction since he took the helm.

Seeing him on Giant Bomb's E3 streams drew me towards him

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand it either. My interest in the Xbox brand dropped off a cliff this generation after playing exclusively on 360 before. I think he's had a positive impact on the service and hardware side but I'm not seeing any positives on the game side.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Don Mattrick was so terrible that the next guy only had to show up.

For Phil to show up and seem to listen and be a human being made it easy for people to want to follow him. I think it also helps that he isn't one of those figures that acts like Sony or Nintendo are hated enemies and he should only play MS games.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
People see him as the person responsible for the turn around (at least when it comes to perception) for Xbox. You gotta look at Don who people see as the person who almost sunk Xbox and then look at Phil. He represents a positive shift in the way Xbox did business just like Kaz represented it during the PS3 days when they had to rebuild the brand. Same for Reggie who came out on stage for one of the most conservative video game companies and with one sentence, gave Nintendo a breath of fresh air that they needed.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Question is why does it bother you so much, you created your name and avatar to mock him?

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Also, to add to my Giant Bomb comment. I also think Spencer acts on what he says. He's keeping it real.

Sure, he had his missteps (Chrome add-ons? What the fuck, Phil), but overall he keeps his promises and says the right things.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
For Phil to show up and seem to listen and be a human being made it easy for people to want to follow him. I think it also helps that he isn't one of those figures that acts like Sony or Nintendo are hated enemies and he should only play MS games.

It's easy to be magnanimous when you are not on top

GazzaScotland

Oct 27, 2017
I guess its because he just comes across as a fairly good guy. Yeah, that me be part of his role as such but its something. For me, I've always enjoyed his stuff at E3 with Giant Bomb.

I assume most people have seen them, but if you haven't I'd atleast suggest checking them out.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the first to mention these but it cannot be understated how good his interviews are with Giant Bomb during E3. It's incredibly refreshing when a video game executive is that transparent and genuinely enthusiastic about video games. Is it all an act? Maybe, but it is, he's a great actor and I'm convinced.

Feb 4, 2018
As someone who is not an Xbox person, he seems like a super sweet and likeable guy. That's all you need, really.

I also think that any public facing game head will have some weird cult following, even if it's just ironic. It's less about their actual performance and more about the memes.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
He's been a fairly personable executive at a time where the Xbox division has made many pro-consumer moves, coupled with others from Sony and Nintendo no longer there.

Also, as always, it's partly memes.
Is it genuine adoration? I always thought it was a running joke.

(And he's better than Kirsty Allsopp anyway)
phil-spencer-question-tim-001.jpg

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
you know for such influential people in the industry. Why don't alot of people talk about the Houser brothers as much as Reggie or Phil or Neil Druckmann, Cory Barlog, Kojima, Kamiya, Miyazaki etc.

bc9a3249d547040ae85fe9b9c0b5ef7b.png

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He just seeks like a genuinely sound guy. I love watching him on giant bomb. He is corporate enough to run the show but doesnt come across as a suit. Like I would genuinely enjoy having a beer with him and shooting the shit about gaming and where it could go.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
why are you singling Phil out? loads of devs, studios and execs get the same attention, especially here

not really sure the point of this

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I like him enough, but it can be a bit much. In 2019, I still see people trying to pin all of xbox's issues on Don Mattrick, the boogie man of Microsoft.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Why does Reggie, why do Shuhei, why does Kaz, why does Gabe, etc. Etc.

In short because he's righted the ship so far and been saying many of the right things. Plus he seems like a likeable

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
LOOK IN MY EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYEEESSSS WHAT DO YOU SEE?

SOME BIG THINGS UP ON EEEE THREEEEEE

Oct 25, 2017
Like many have said, he's a likable personality and there's a bunch of others that fit into the boat you describe in the OP. The only time I really take issue with things is that there are many who absolve him of all the shortcomings of the Xbox One when it was originally talked about. People say he was juts forced to do this and that because of leadership, but then they praise him for all these decisions like leadership doesn't have a say. It's a really strange thing to see.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
why are you singling Phil out? loads of devs, studios and execs get the same attention, especially here

not really sure the point of this

I'm starting a Joe Neate cult.

Who is joining me?

Like many have said, he's a likable personality and there's a bunch of others that fit into the boat you describe in the OP. The only time I really take issue with things is that there are many who absolve him of all the shortcomings of the Xbox One when it was originally talked about. People say he was juts forced to do this and that because of leadership, but then they praise him for all these decisions like leadership doesn't have a say. It's a really strange thing to see.

Phil is part of the leadership team now.. in contrast to two years ago. So those comments aren't completely strange to me.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
He made the Xbox One actually worth owning, with features like Backwards Compatibilty, Play Anywhere, game pass, and more, and with the beast of a console named the Xbox One X.
He also got promoted to the MS board of directors, reports directly to Nadella now, and (presumably) convinced them to splash some cash on a dozen studios.

With the last piece piece of the puzzle, high-quality first party exclusives, is looking to fit in not too far in the future.

edit: Also comes off like genuine person like Shu and Reggie, not a corporate suit like Shawn Layden.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems like a nice guy and people think he's done a good job leading Xbox.

Lots of other execs and devs have "cults" too. Cerny, Kaz, Reggie, Naughty Dog, etc.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I imagine people like his approach and want to spread his message even further.

Remember, apart from games, the Xbox One family is a great product.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I like guys who say very little with all action. Phil is quite the opposite. First party has been pretty below average the whole gen and how many years in row did he say they were fixing the windows store? Yet he takes interviews every month. Not my guy.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I like guys who say very little with all action. Phil is quite the opposite. First party has been pretty below average the whole gen and how many years in row did he say they were fixing the windows store? Yet he takes interviews every month. Not my guy

The total mess that's called the Microsoft Store is also my biggest problem with Phil. He has been saying he's fixing it for 4 years. And only now it seems they are taking action.

Way too slow. And if you can't hold onto your promise, don't make said promise.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
He's genuine and has done good things for xbox. No different than reasons I like Kaz and Reggie.

It's no different than any other higher up person in a corporation being hailed like a god like you see with Nintendo and Sony.

Although Phil's talks with Jeff Gerstmann during E3 are really good to listen to.

Guarantee you the OP hasn't cared to watch one of these interviews.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think he has a weird cult, it's just that he's 10x more likeable than Mattick, that's really what it comes down to

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's competent at his job, and the previous guy was horrendous. That's more than enough to earn you hero worship from fans of the company.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ever since Phil Spencer became the top guy of Xbox he has taken the brand in the direction the fans have been begging for. Since his arrival Xbox is now the most powerful console now and future, the leader in backwards compatibility, completely overhauled their first party and is helping keep e3 relevant....I honestly don't know how anyone doesn't love him

Status
Not open for further replies.