• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since Phil Spencer became the top guy of Xbox he has taken the brand in the direction the fans have been begging for. Since his arrival Xbox is now the most powerful console now and future, the leader in backwards compatibility, completely overhauled their first party and is helping keep e3 relevant....I honestly don't know how anyone doesn't love him
don't forget all his work for cross-platform gaming.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
For me it's simply because ge doesn't seems like a person raised in a board room with a fancy Rolex on his wrist. That goes a long way, at least for me...

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
People are weird and tribalist, and having a figurehead they can praise is part of that. Cults of personality are a very real thing.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I don't think he has a cult of personality as much as some people are trying to make it seem like he does. But he's well respected, and for good reasons - he doesn't really talk shit about Microsoft's competitors, he has a good history of following through on his promises, he's opening up both the Xbox platform and gaming in general to more people, and he seems like a genuine and nice guy.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of the guy but I assume people like the direction he's taking Xbox in. If I did, I'd like him too. Pretty simple really.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's good-looking, charismatic and personable, a non-Mattrick.

giphy.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Longevity
Social Media activity
Presence/Charisma
Turning around a poorly steered ship

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Xbox fan's believe that Phil is the right man to lead xbox in the right direction. Nothing wrong with that.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
He's a cool guy. Everytime I see him talk outside of nerve wracking stages, the guy comes off human. Just an overall kind dude I guess

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I like him, but I feel like he's lacking some killer instinct. He needs to start being more aggressive with 3rd party exclusives. Like he did Tomb Raider. And if people don't like it, then let them complain.

Let's all be happy Microsoft doesn't do these kind of deals.. Look at what's happening with the Epic Store.

Gross.

I'm glad Microsoft doesn't do these deals anymore.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Phil's fans are waaaay better than the creepy Cerny following.

He's not flawless because who the fuck is, but listening to Phil talk compared to the average exec (like Layden) is so much better and it seems like he has a passion for gaming.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Because gamers are weirdly susceptible to marketing, to the point where the highlights of their year are literal commercials and presentations by corporate executives.
Essentially, this. Cult of personality has been observed in many scenarios of human culture (music, academy, politics, sports, etc.), and videogames are no exception.

That said, at least Spencer is generally considered to be a significant upgrade over his infamous predecessor and IMHO there are several more baffling examples. Just to mention some notable cases, I have never really understood the widespread adoration / positive memeification behind Gabe Newell, Reggie Fils-Aime, Satoru Iwata, Kaz Hirai, Mark Cerny, Shuhei Yoshida, Shawn Layden ‎and Geoff Keighley.

Gaming even has some personalities which seem to have been almost devoured by their ego, rock-star like. Hideo Kojima would be a prime example. Cliffy B would be another.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Phil's the only person at Xbox who's changed my mind on the brand's reputation for being the console for 12 year old closeted homophobe douche-bags obsessed with homoerotic muscular marine types, to one which doesn't believe in console wars and shitty fanyboy behaviour. I've gained more respect for the Xbox brand since Phil came about than any other person before him.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Dude has that surfer charisma combined with a billionaire nerd background... a winning formula with gamers around the globe!

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
He's popular and he seems to do his work competently. It's normal in an industry where the executives are like superstars.

Even thinking like that, the only that I'll never understand is Kaz Hirai, maybe apart from the fake twitter. That position should be for Shuhei Yoshida, because at least he's charismatic.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I mean he doesn't come off as corporate. And seems like a legit cool dude like Jack Tretton and Shu. Can't say the same for Shawn Layden or Jim Ryan.

Really? He comes off as the most corporate of the lot to me - the way he talks so deliberately, the relatable "fellow kids" clothing, every script he has to follow..

Jim Ryan is corporate too I guess, though he comes across more like an awkward dad.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Phil's the only person at Xbox who's changed my mind on the brand's reputation for being the console for 12 year old closeted homophobe douche-bags obsessed with homoerotic muscular marine types, to one which doesn't believe in console wars and shitty fanyboy behaviour. I've gained more respect for the Xbox brand since Phil came about than any other person before him.

This is rather strange for a few reasons; the main one being that Xbox demo has always skewed older, not younger. Some weird stereotyping going on either way in your post lol

Oct 27, 2017
His Giant Bomb interviews go a long way.

But, yeah, he took over after Don Mattrick. Just changing the direction of the Xbox after the disastrous launch of Xbox One helped push him as the saviour.

It's a fun narrative and he plays the part well.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think it's because he's passionate about the industry and has a good guy persona.

He's also made some really good decisions for the Xbox brand

Status
Not open for further replies.