• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hello Era friends,

I was just wondering why the gaming industry - both fans of it and people involved in it, lean so far left politically? I would not consider myself conservative or even Republican, but the lack of even a semblance of these viewpoints in this industry is questionable. Sure, you have the 4chan browsing /g/ posters on that site, but thats a small minority. Also, when people do express more Right-leaning opinions, they are attacked (aka CM who shall not be named on this site). In my opinion, the hobby we love should be open to people of all shapes and sizes, and all political views and opinions. Please try to keep this discussion civil! I would just like some level-headed opinions.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I don't think this is an accurate interpretation of the reality of the gaming industry and communities, lol.

Also, saying it should be open to people of all opinions is kind of counter productive, considering people on the right tend to lean more towards NOT wanting to give all people voices.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming industry? Far left?

lmao those words should never be in the same sentence in the current climate.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hello Era friends,

I was just wondering why the gaming industry - both fans of it and people involved in it, lean so far left politically? I would not consider myself conservative or even Republican, but the lack of even a semblance of these viewpoints in this industry is questionable. Sure, you have the 4chan browsing /g/ posters on that site, but thats a small minority. Also, when people do express more Right-leaning opinions, they are attacked (aka CM who shall not be named on this site). In my opinion, the hobby we love should be open to people of all shapes and sizes, and all political views and opinions. Please try to keep this discussion civil! I would just like some level-headed opinions.
Right view points tend to leave out and demonize demographics so I can't say I feel bad.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the gaming industry is outside the US so what might be status quo where they're from is going to seem "far left" to the average American. The US is pretty extreme on the right, and even its liberals are unconsciously heavily prone to US-centrism.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
It's fairly balanced honestly, trending even more towards conservative.

You just see very vocal leftists in the industry more because of social media and this forum.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, those left leaners that formed the left movement gamergate and attacked those conservstive feminist and conservative journalist...

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I mean, I think it leans either way and not terribly strongly either way. I'm very neutral when it comes to politics and talking about politics. Most of the time I see ideas get shutdown in conversation about games, or in ideas about games it's flat people just being assholes, and I aint got nothing against that.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Aah yes, I sure hope for a better tomorrow when people can express their opinions about George Soros and the jewish cabal, which owns all central banks and wishes to genocide the god chosen Aryan race.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine a vast majority of gamers don't care either way and they just flat out ignore all political talk in gaming communities. I wouldn't say gamers are either extremely left or extremely right, I would say that a VAST majority of gamers are somewhere in the middle and flat out don't care enough to discuss any of this.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
all political views and opinions
no

also I don't know where you get the idea the industry, and most certainly the communities, lean far left??

industry maybe bc the tech industry is supposedly more progressive, but even that's a bit of a stretch, the communities most certainly not, seems like it just feels that way to you bc you hang around primarily left leaning communities

Jan 11, 2018
I feel like you need to specify what you're talking about here. There's more to the gaming industry than the USA. The Japanese side of the industry is pretty conservative.

Nov 1, 2017
I think the problem is less of a whole industry or fanbase being "left" and more conservative views (especially on the internet) gradually shifting towards hard nationalism and some pretty gross stuff that comes with it.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I would assume it's some combination of being a medium of artists who, historically, tend to be liberally minded individuals and the fact that most major games media are centralized in predominately liberal areas (California, New York, etc.) There are ideas all over the spectrum (left, right and center) to be found in video games, it seems to me that the left-leaning ones tend to be the ones given the most oxygen.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You probably don't even know what is far left, especially considering what some people in the US considers "far-left".

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gaming industry is sadly the most vitriolically far right leaning media industry there is, so I can't say I have any idea what you are talking about.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always heard that tech-based industries in general are more left leaning. Part of that is probably due to the fact that educated people tend to lean further left, and I would assume that many people working in tech or the games industry have some form of higher education.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Era friends,

This post is a troll. It has to be. You can't really pretend like the right-leaning gamers are a "small minority" when we know the alt-right uses gaming as a recruitment tool. You can't even look at gaming videos on YouTube without being led into a series of far right leaning foolishness.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Which right-leaning viewpoints do you want to see better represented in games, OP? A call for a smaller/more limited government? Because I can't think of any games that advocate big government.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
How are Resetera and the game blogosphere indicative of the industry? The industry and the fan community are two very separate things, and I'd argue that the Asian/Japanese game industry is very Conservative, if not in their politics than their business/economic decisions.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
The entire premise of this thread is wrong, and so I have nothing relevant to really say on the matter.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't lean far left, but a lot of vocal members of the gaming press certainly do, and this site certainly does as well. Outside of Gamergate circles, you're not as likely to see people on the right be vocal about their beliefs because said beliefs often involve both directly and indirectly making the lives of minority groups absolutely miserable, and they would very deservedly get a lot of shit.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Better watch out for those radical leftist corporations looking to push their communist agenda to sell their products to a wider range of demographics for more profits.

OP
OP
thebagel1

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe it's just the sites and people I follow. I've talked to other people about this and they agree with me

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Era leans very much left including the moderation team but I wouldn't say that the wider gaming community does. The only reason there is a somewhat large portion that do is because most in the community are millenials or younger and younger people are more likely to lean left compared to older generations.

Being on the left means you don't treat others, especially minorities, like shit. I would rather be on that side tbh.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I love it when someone comes in and says we should listen to racist and sexist "political views". Get the fuck out of here.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
United States college educated people under 40 are 'left' wing, so I guess going to uni and being under 40 is why.

left is in quotes because they are still American and by-in-large support a neo-con party, so left is relative here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In what bizzaro universe does the gaming industry lean left?

Its full of right wing wackos, both the devs and the fans.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
This forum leans left. The gaming industry (and much of its overall fanbase outside of this forum) does not.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I think game journalism and news sites lean left, but that may just be a function of media leaning left in general.

Jun 22, 2018
There's a wide range of people in the industry and communities. You may just only be seeing part of it based on where you spend your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.