• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like another poster said, it's growth formula for babies. I'm sure it's not death for adult mammals, but it seems intuitive that it wouldn't be necessary or even particularly healthy, if we're not going through some kind of infant growth spurt.

OP
OP
Ryaaan14

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
As a doctor i don't think milk nutrition changed much in the last 10 years. It is one of the best and most complete food, specially for those that don't have the money or the time to make a decent varied meal.

There is a small caveat, some part of the population is lactose intolerant which does mean that normal milk should be avoided. Nowadays you can buy milk without lactose and thus most people can/should eat milk.

Hell yeah good lookin out doc

Oct 25, 2017
Milk is fucking gross.

Think about it...

As a doctor i don't think milk nutrition changed much in the last 10 years. It is one of the best and most complete food, specially for those that don't have the money or the time to make a decent varied meal.

There is a small caveat, some part of the population is lactose intolerant which does mean that normal milk should be avoided. Nowadays you can buy milk without lactose and thus most people can/should eat milk.

Keep in mind, doctors know little to nothing about nutrition.

Source - family of 7 doctors (who are all fat, if that matters).

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Mom would discourage us from drinking milk when we were growing up. I can understand why.

Still don't drink it and I really don't care for the taste.

I'll probably discourage my future kids from drinking it as well.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's a great ingredient and is also good on cereal or as chocolate milk with donuts.

No milk = no butter = no baked goods worth eating

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The logic people use regarding "we are the only animal who drinks another animals milk" is a silly one when you consider all the other outrageous things humans eat and do that other animals don't do. Like most produce that we have is literally modified beyond belief over hundreds of years. Our ancestors have been trying to breed better produce for years, the only difference now is we have way more understanding of how to do it even better.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the sheer number of people who enjoy tea with milk, stating that the planet collectively keeps flip-flopping on milk is a bit of a stretch.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The logic people use regarding "we are the only animal who drinks another animals milk" is a silly one when you consider all the other outrageous things humans eat and do that other animals don't do. Like most produce that we have is literally modified beyond belief over hundreds of years. Our ancestors have been trying to breed better produce for years, the only difference now is we have way more understanding of how to do it even better.

No other animal cooks their food! Think about it!

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
That ad about milk being so good the cows want it back that had cows stalking people to their homes fucked me up as a kid.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milk is the only reason I'm not 100 pounds soaking wet anymore. Drink of the gods.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Studies lol. I'm with you but I am over "studies" lol.
Be careful whom you distrust. It is through studies specially RCT that medicine advances with some degree of certainty.

Milk is actually bad for you. Most of the "positive " studies and promotions are dairy funded

Correction. Milk is recommended for all people that like it, it is a very good and complete food. Obviously positive studies can be dairy funded just like negatives studies can be "alternative milks" funded; this doesn't make the non funded by does industries fake.

If you think that's bad wait until you see the flip flopping on eggs and wine.
I don't think wine changed much. egg did change a bit due to precaution. Here is a black and white resume on what changed in the last few years, it is a bit simplified but i think:

Wine- Most studies correlate wine with good effects and bad effects. You can easily understand why: wine is made of grapes and alcohol. Alcohol is always bad for your health while most of the grape is good for you (it is a fruit after all). SO the studies that focus on endpoints that are caused by alcohol will show wine as "bad" (like hepatic cancer and myocardiopathy) while studies that focus on the fruit benefits will show that wine is "good".

Egg - a few decades ago we found that people got cardiovascular disease (CVD) due to cholesterol. At the time most doctors assumed that any food that raised cholesterol would probably be bad for you, After all a drug that reduces cholesterol decreases the risk of a CVD. As our understanding of how cholesterol is "absorbed" into the vascular walls we began to question that knowledge, as such studies began comparing people with high cholesterol intake with those that have low cholesterol intake. The result was that most cholesterol rich foods like eggs raise both the LDL cholesterol and the HDL cholesterol in the same proportion; which meant that the risk of CVD didn't change significantly from the diet. We now know that it is the change of ratio on the LDL VS HDL cholesterol that increases the risk, and not just high values of cholesterol.

Milk is fucking gross.
Think about it...

Depends on our interest of area. You don't expect a cardiologist to understand the urinary track, do you? why would you expect other non- nutrition doctors to know nutrition?
I 'm a doctor so my view might be skewed but you sound like a video game engineer should know how to build a bridge. And since they don't know how to build a bridge no engineer can build a bridge.

Also just because a doctor knows how to have a healthy diet doesn't mean he follows it. I am certain you have seen doctors smoking... do you think they don't know it is bad for their health? doctors are people too and thus are fallible to the pleasures of live, even the unhealthy ones.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Soy and almond drinks that bill themselves as "milk" may need to consider alternative language after a top regulator suggested the agency may start cracking down on use of the term.

The Food and Drug Administration signaled plans to start enforcing a federal standard that defines "milk" as coming from the "milking of one or more healthy cows." That would be a change for the agency, which has not aggressively gone after the proliferation of plant-based drinks labeled as "milk."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/soon-your-soy-milk-may-not-be-called-milk

I hope this becomes a thing globally, so that people who peddle fake milk can't call it by that name anymore. Let them call it juice, and watch the appeal drop like a rock.

Almond juice...

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F578909%2F534903f7-7c58-4140-bd0c-544facd62597.gif

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Animal milk is fine, it's just annoying listening to people say it's an essential part of the human diet and that your bones are going to dissolve if you don't drink a gallon a day.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/soon-your-soy-milk-may-not-be-called-milk

I hope this becomes a thing globally, so that people who peddle fake milk can't call it by that name anymore.
I wish they changed the name. I'll still drink alternative "milks" as i enjoy them however some people do think these drinks are really alternatives to milk, which is not entirely correct. It always leads to me wasting quite a few mins to explain they are (fortified) drinks and not really milk.

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm very confident I'm lactose intolerant, but I'll never give up cheese and ice cream and more cheese.

Always disliked milk, but enjoyed chocolate milk just fine as a kiddo.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
If your stopping drinking milk cause of the environment don't start drinking almond-milk instead. Takes 920 gallons of water to make one gallon of almond-milk.

Nov 30, 2017
The nutrition industry thrives off of pseudo science. However when the dairy industry is manufacturing machine it makes things worse.

If the food industry was a non profit industry, super foods wouldn't exist at all.

Last edited:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Milk is great: high in protein and certain vitamins. All the "milk is terrible" attitude is perpetuated by fallacies of composition and generalization. For instance, "milk is full of mucous and blood," or ", babies drink milk so adults shouldn't."

It's just water, protein, fats, and sugars. Get the growth hormone free stuff if you're worried about chemicals. Get the ultra-filtered Fairlife stuff if you want it really pure. Also it's delicious.

Besides all the core science classes, such as learning how the body metabolizes proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, and creates energy, my medical school had several classes on nutrition and in the hospital I talk to patients often about it. I'm not a nutritionist but I know a decent enough amount. Also, I can be a smoker and if I tell you cigarettes cause cancer it's still the truth.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Milk Cheese Eggs Tomatoes Red Wine White Wine Soy Beans Almonds Chia Seeds Flax oil Fish Oil Vitamin D Iron Red Meat White Meat Wild Fish Fresh Fish Mercury Garbanzo beans Hummus Avocado Chipotle

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Don't like the taste of milk so weaned myself off it as soon as I was able to make my own decisions.

Good or bad? Dunno. Seems to me nature intended cows' milk for their calves. Moreover, with all the factory farms, the practice of keeping the cows always pregnant to ensure a steady supply of milk is inhumane to me.

You can read some scientific literature about milk and IGF-1 for starters (but as always, keep an eye for industry-sponsored research or authors with links to certain industries).