• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
Recently had soy milk for the first time. It was disgusting. Basically earth flavored water.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about cow milk is that....

1) It's falsely made to be this be-all-end-all drink that is necessary for human health if you listen to some sources. "Without milk your bones won't grow strong" is a sentiment that is spread by the dairy industry. Milk isn't all that good for calsium in absolute numbers nor does it absorb into your body as well as some plant sources.

2) Too much milk is/can be bad for people while not bringing any additional health benefits.

3) Producing one liter of cow milk takes about 1000 liters of water, in addition to a huge land area to produce their food and the space the animals themselves take plus all the other ways it pollutes the environment and contributes to climate change. It's a huge ecological stress for the environment. Cow milk is one of the most replacable things in a diet, so it should be one of the first things to go for anyone who cares about the future of this planet/humankind.

Recently had soy milk for the first time. It was disgusting. Basically earth flavored water.
There are tons of different soy milk products. They don't all taste the same. It might also require some time to get used to.

It's a great ingredient and is also good on cereal or as chocolate milk with donuts.

No milk = no butter = no baked goods worth eating
Butter isn't needed for good baked goods.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/soon-your-soy-milk-may-not-be-called-milk

I hope this becomes a thing globally, so that people who peddle fake milk can't call it by that name anymore. Let them call it juice, and watch the appeal drop like a rock.

Almond juice...
It's already a thing in Europe/EU. Stuff is called "soy drink", "almond drink", "oat drink" etc. instead of milks. I'll still continue calling plant milks as plant milks because that's the space they fill in a vegetarian/vegan diet. Official/commercial guidelines only govern how they can be called in marketing/branding, that matters fuck all to regular folks talking about food.

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use milk sometimes when cooking, but can't really stand drinking milk on its own. Plain, unflavored yoghurt though, that's some good shit right there. Filmjölk ain't bad either.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I enjoy soy milk and almond milk in moderation, usually with cereal. I never liked cow juice as a kid growing up.

Last edited:

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Milk is replaceable and not essential at all.

And more importantly cows are literally milked to death in the process and on a grander scale heavily contribute to climate change.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Milk is great and nutritious! But like everything in life, drink in moderation and balanced.

Just because something is nutritious doesn't mean you should consume them in truckloads.

I am looking at the average american eating their breakfast cereals and the portion that pour into that container they called a 'bowl' (more like a tub from my POB) is obnoxious. You don't drink milk like you drink water after you've grown out of your infant age!

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of the vegetarian 'milks' taste good compared to whole milk? Whenever I see them, they are advertised as low-calorie, fat-free etc. which sounds really disgusting to me as a skinny dude. I'd totally be willing to switch over though (to help cows/environment) to a version that's as nutritious as whole milk. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
What you're saying is: If I don't buy the milk 1000 litres of water were wasted for nothing?

;)
Herpyderpderp.

Do any of the vegetarian 'milks' taste good compared to whole milk? Whenever I see them, they are advertised as low-calorie, fat-free etc. which sounds really disgusting to me as a skinny dude. I'd totally be willing to switch over though (to help cows/environment) to a version that's as nutritious as whole milk. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Soy milk is generally the most nutritious. Taste varies even between soy milks, even more between other types (there's at least cashew, oat, coconut and almond, in addition to soy milk). There are often different types (sweetened, unsweetened, something in between) and different brands can taste different too. It's one of those things you have to test out and there might be a bit of an adjustment period where you need to get used to the taste if you want to make an effort to switch from cow milk to plant based milks.

Most plant based milks have stuff like D-vitamins, B12 and calsium added into them.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
milk sucks

I want to cut dairy out of my diet but cream cheese is so good

still gotta try though
Cream cheese is probably the most easily replacable by good plant alternatives. Easy to make yourself and plenty of tasty products to choose from as far as commercial alternatives go. It's the hard cheeses, aged cheeses, that still lack behind dairy cheeses when it comes to vegan alternatives.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Cream cheese is probably the most easily replacable by good plant alternatives. Easy to make yourself and plenty of tasty products to choose from as far as commercial alternatives go. It's the hard cheeses, aged cheeses, that still lack behind dairy cheeses when it comes to vegan alternatives.
Interesting, I will look into it

I don't think any of the places I go to get bagels would have something like that, I guess I could just buy my own bagels though

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I will look into it

I don't think any of the places I go to get bagels would have something like that, I guess I could just buy my own bagels though
Assuming it's not some big chain who require decisions from higher up/headquarters to change what they offer, you could always request your bagel places to add vegan cream cheeses to their bagel-filling offerings. Especially if you are a regular and they know that they won't waste money buying lots of vegan cream cheese that is only used by one person every 4 weeks, they might be open to it. And do remind them to advertise it. No one will use the alternative and/or vegans won't come to their place if it's hidden behind the counter with nothing showing that the option is available. :P

Also, you might want to explore the options yourself so that you can recommend them what is the best alternative in your opinion. They might not have anyone working for them who'd have any knowledge of these things so if you can go to them with suggestions in mind, that might lower the threshold of making the option available.

And be prepared to pay a bit of extra. Especially non-vegan places like to put 0,50-2$/€/£ extra to some vegan alternatives since there aren't necessarily always taken advantage by many people so they have to make a bit more profit out of a single person than with their more popular options.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
I drink a couple of glasses of chocolate milk, and eat a banana, after my workout.
Gives me a fast source to energy and building blocks for my recovery period.

Much cheaper than buying protein powder, like some rube.

And milk makes your body hold on to water, giving you a more steady supply.

So I like it.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Dairy is fine in low to moderate amounts in humans. It's a rich nutrient source, less intensive than meat production and a fantastic additive to meals.

Again, that crazy yo-yo effect of what is popular and being pushed. Almond farming is a huge drain on water resources, cows milk generates more greenhouses gasses.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lactose Intolerance is a thing
Prior to the mid-1960s, most American health professionals believed that these enzymes were present in nearly all adults as well. When researchers tested various ethnic groups for their ability to digest lactose, however, their findings proved otherwise. Approximately 70 percent of African Americans, 90 percent of Asian Americans, 53 percent of Mexican Americans, and 74 percent of Native Americans were lactose intolerant.
I'm apart of the 10% to not be lactose intolerant and have the enzymes to digest alcohol.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Humans weren't meant to drink bovine milk. There's also a good reason why women stop producing milk after a said period of time after child birth.
The fact that a lot of people are lactose intolerant, and the ones that aren't drink pasteurised milk, should also be enough to convince people.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Dairy is fine in low to moderate amounts in humans. It's a rich nutrient source, less intensive than meat production and a fantastic additive to meals.

Again, that crazy yo-yo effect of what is popular and being pushed. Almond farming is a huge drain on water resources, cows milk generates more greenhouses gasses.
Almond milk is nowhere near cow milk. Producing one liter of cow milk takes about 1000 liters of water. One liter of almond milk requires, IIRC, around 250 liters of water, plus it doesn't have the rest of dairy production's downsides (which are many, from ecological to animal abuse).

The only problematic aspect about almonds, especially in comparison to dairy, is that so much of it comes from California. Monocultures are bad. But ultimately pretty much anything meat and dairy is several times worse in pretty much every possible aspect.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
the vegans are here, OP

you've done it now
Yeah, how dare people care about the wellbeing of animals and not making Earth inhabitable mess for large portions of humankind for future generations. You sure showed us with your superiority of not giving a single iota of a fuck about anyone but yourself with your asinine, sarcastic crap.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, how dare people care about the wellbeing of animals and not making Earth inhabitable mess for large portions of humankind for future generations. You sure showed us with your superiority of not giving a single iota of a fuck about anyone but yourself with your asinine, sarcastic crap.
You happy now Ryaaan14 , you milk drinking earth destroying evil person?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Humans weren't meant to drink bovine milk. There's also a good reason why women stop producing milk after a said period of time after child birth.
The fact that a lot of people are lactose intolerant, and the ones that aren't drink pasteurised milk, should also be enough to convince people.

Pasteurized link has nothing to do with tolerance. Pasteurization is to eliminate dangerous bacteria. You think bacteria is good for you? As a kid I drank raw milk and developed tolerance to it, but on a large scale, it is still riskier.

We weren't "meant" to drink bovine milk, just like we weren't "meant" to build house, wear clothes and make fires. Do you think we were meant to drink Cola or Gatorade?
Europeans evolved to tolerate lactase thousands of years ago, which helped them survive when crop failed.

Oh yes some of them did get diarrhea but still better than actually dying of hunger...

If you tolerate it then milk is fine. If you don't, stop.

Oct 25, 2017
The "it's natural/unnatural" argument just needs to die. It's useless as an argument. Birth defects are natural, cancer is natural, animals raping each other is natural. That has no bearing on what we should or shouldn't be doing.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
The "it's natural/unnatural" argument just needs to die. It's useless as an argument. Birth defects are natural, cancer is natural, animals raping each other is natural. That has no bearing on what we should or shouldn't be doing.

Man that cobra venom I take everyday is tasty and natural

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You happy now Ryaaan14 , you milk drinking earth destroying evil person?
Yeah, because vegans can't ever participate in any discussions without assholes coming in and commenting negatively on us existing on this forum, as if we are the ones doing something wrong in trying to persuade people to live a more environmentally friendly life as we are facing a huge worldwide catastrophe based on all scientific consensus.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have just bought milk this week for the first time in a year. Too much dairy and I inflate with no end in sight.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
A little nutrient always helps.
Too much nutrient is always harmful.

I think this pretty much applies to everything we eat actually.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
Found this at a bridge post near my work place, the anti milk conspiracy is everywhere:

SAfRlZU.jpg

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
because its not good for you... there are a large amount of studies linking it to many of diseases ranging from cancer to cardiovascular disease.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • very sugary (bad for some, good for others)
  • high cholesterol
  • lactose intolerance increasing a ton (historically we were all lactose intolerant IIRC)
  • harder to process and less useful to your body the older you get
  • very bad for the environment (1,000 glasses of water to one glass of milk, lots of methane production, CO2 production, millions of tons of feed wasted just for the cows, etc)
  • absolutely heinous industrialised large-scale abuse of animals (keeping them pregnant all year round, tying them to machines, killing their babies, etc)