• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I googled the word "youtube" on google, and found out there was a 14 years old teenager called "soph" who is described as a rising star of the alt right, claiming to be a "red pill" girl, sexist and islamophobic.

Youtube claims to protect children, but still won't lift a finger about banning contents like this in the name of freedom speech?It seems ratther dangerous to do this, because this sends a very wrong message to children. I also wonder who her parents are.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people who gave her these ideas in the first place.
I wish YouTube would go back to the days of funny videos, cute cats, music and movie trailers!

Whoever runs google and YouTube these days needs replacing. Google is impossible to trust, YouTube feels like it's ran by a bunch of teens who come up with ideas and take them to action without seeking adult advice.

I feel sorry for a lot of the old school creators on YouTube who have had there lifestyle stripped away over night with magical policy implementation

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There was that article a while back were YouTube whistleblowers were describing that they all bring it up to management but basically get shot down.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Remember when youtube did nothing about that channel where this stupid fucker was abusing his kids? They. Don't. Care.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Reporting this thread to the Trump free speech tool. Buckle up!

/s

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read, Silicon Valley is run by libertarian types who think that any kind of regulation is the devil and they run their platforms accordingly.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
They won't take any potentially drama inducing actions because they're risk averse and also don't care

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
They deleted a few of her videos and gave her "a strike".
I doubt many kids watch her stuff. As for most of the alt-right content on YouTube, the audience is 90% guys aged 16-35.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
giphy.gif

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
That's the same platform that age restricted a lot of content from LGBTQ+ creators and put anti gay marriage ads in front of their videos.
No surprises anymore.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I can't watch a single video, even my normal digest of primarily leftist video essays, without seeing ads for the Ben Shapiro Show and PragerU. They've gamed the algorithm and YouTube loves the hits.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's the same platform that age restricted a lot of content from LGBTQ+ creators and put anti gay marriage ads in front of their videos.
No surprises anymore.

Yep. I watch a few lesbian youtubers and they've lamented in the past that if they even mention being a lesbian or bisexual, that video gets demonitized. Strange which videos are allowed to make money and which ones aren't.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
The youtube employees who believe they're neutral are more afraid of being called biased liberals for banning bigotry than they are of the consequences of normalizing bigotry.
Any genuinely bigoted portion of the company just has to exhibit a bland businessy attitude to get away with enabling hate.

see also: twitter saying that it won't employ its harsh anti-ISIS strategies against white supremacy in the wake of domestic terrorist attacks because that would lead to banning republican officials.

the conservative victim complex has been working the refs for generations. Screaming about 'liberal bias' has led to theoretically-neutral business types acting with a right-wing bias instead and telling themselves they're in the middle.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We keep going round and round on the issue and trying to hope that ethics or morality will break through, or that technology will solve the issue. But fundamentally, in almost every case - from Jack to Youtube to Soph, the underlying problem is the invisible hand of the free market. That's a real force. It doesn't have to be an evil one. But it's invisible and it's what guides the markets and the economy and thanks to things like Citizens United, the political infrastructure too.

Youtube is not incentivized to create a long term, stable platform of growth and content that works in the national interest and helps build a global market of cool inventive content. It's not even solely invested in eyballs or engagement. And neither is Twitter.

Both are incentivized to grow, as fast as possible, every quarter. No other metric matters if that one can be achieved. The CEO, the company and trhe Shareholders are equally incentivized to push for that growth. It's irrational and unsustainable and bad for the companies in the long term, but it is mandated by LAW. That is the legal obligation to the shareholders in the US. And it's a toxic, vicious cycle. It's hurting drug research. It's hurting infrastructure. In short it's hurting every long term inmvestment in the nation.

And a macrocosm and weird inversion of it is term limits or lack thereof, and politicians who are incentivized to stay elected. No matter what. No matter how they do it. No matter how bad, or disingenuous, or corrossive or damaging that might be.

So the way to fix it properly is to look at new ways to regulate and incentivize company and political behavior that don't involve autocannibalization of their companies and country.

If I had one wish, one item that I could change, it would be to kill the underlying nature of quarterly reporting and replace it with something that incentivized the CEOs and the shareholders to do good, or at least not do all this fucking evil.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read, Silicon Valley is run by libertarian types who think that any kind of regulation is the devil and they run their platforms accordingly.

And yet the inverse of this type of content is routinely demonetized, given a strike, and generally suppressed. Like the dude who uploaded a video exposing child ASMR and how sexualized the channels involved were as well as the comments on those videos, and YouTube took down that video because it contained inappropriate content. They left the original shit up, but took down a video criticizing it because it included clips of the original content deemed "inappropriate".

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Youtube doesn't care as long as it makes them money. People like her and PDP bring money all the money in so they turn the other way. "Free peachez" as they say,

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Youtube doesn't care as long as it makes them money. People like her and PDP bring money all the money in so they turn the other way. "Free peachez" as they say,
if countries enforced legislations where they would have to pay a fine every time they don't remove a video after a set amount of time, maybe it could help? Huge fines with 4 or more zeros.