• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
And before you say, "He does,"... does he though? Yes, he takes on mob bosses and organized crime, but only in a punchy way. Even in The Dark Knight, where Batman was whittling down the mob, his contribution was busting up a drug deal and then kidnapping a guy out of a skyscraper. You could argue he funded Dent as Wayne as a way to enact sweeping changes, but you never see Batman going after money laundering schemes or corporate tax evasion unless they are also tied in with some supervillain-ass plot like they are using embezzled money to build a super laser.

You could argue that white collar crime is a boring premise for a Batman story, but I think it would be a nice change of pace and challenge Batman in new ways.

If I am completely talking out of my butt and there are tons of stories where Batman takes down criminals sans vigilante violence and the story ends with a CEO being done in by his illegal tax shelter please share.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that Batman takes on the criminals that GCPD cannot.

He's S-tier, whereas white collar thugs are B-tier at best.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Because he's a white collar criminal himself.
10935165.jpg

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Depending on the writer, Bruce Wayne seems to go to varying lengths to curtail such things in his capacity as a businessman. Batman, in his defense, does occasionally catch white-collar criminals (note that irl mob dealings and such are considered white collar), but often as a result of the violent crimes they carry out or order to sustain their other, less brutal criminal pursuits.

If his parents had been embezzled to death he would probably care more.

Because he's a white collar criminal himself.

2365627-tbs_black_mask.jpg

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Because batman beating the shit out of guy who is embezzling a fortune 500 company for their expenses is not a good look.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
In most versions of the character at his core Batman isn't really motivated by justice he's motivated by getting revenge for his parents (or as he'd probably put it making sure what happens to him doesn't happen to another child).

White collar criminals didn't kill his parents so he just isn't as motivated.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for that mini series where Batman teams up with the IRS and spends 5 issues looking through Lex Luthors tax returns.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I always imagine what you see in the comics/films/tv shows are the really noteworthy stories and inbetween the hero deals with the more grounded/mundane stuff.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because arresting some guy embezzling money isn't going to give that same rush that paralyzing mentally unstable people gives.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
This new trend of shitting on Batman is getting really tiring.

I know it's fantasy and to retroactively hate on Batman, especially now, is trite, but it's kinda fun to ask questions like this. I remember reading this one thread about how Batman IRL would be a conservative and Spiderman a Liberal.

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I know it's fantasy and to retroactively hate on Batman, especially now, is trite, but it's kinda fun to ask questions like this. I remember reading this one thread about how Batman IRL would be a conservative and Spiderman a Liberal.

I don't mind some fun analysis, but recently in other thread there was a guy saying that Batman is a racist white guy beating down on minoritites. It's just worthless garbage projecting

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
He leaves that to the Punisher.

Remember when Punisher blow up a boat full of share holders that were ok with their CEO increasing the price of energy through corporate espionage? Then shot them while they were in the sea and being eaten alive by killer sharks?