• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
What in the hell was this game doing, rendering-wise? Some kind of tricky field-rendering that doesn't play nice with de-interlacing? I have a fully backwards-compatible PS3 (original 60GB model), and even when outputting at 480p with the PS3's internal scaler turned off the game looks like a blurry mess. Strangely enough, none of the menus have this issue and the opening tutorial level (and I think one other level later on) don't either, but for the majority of the game the whole image looks like one giant de-interlacing artifact. I have never encountered this with any other PS2 game running on my PS3.

2_7_NEW_16.jpg

Fatal Shadows is typically janky for a PS2-era FromSoft game, but it does feature some surprising graphical flourishes at times.

Running it in an emulator on PC seems to avoid this, but that comes with other graphical issues as the game just isn't perfectly emulated even with an assortment of game-specific "fixes" selected in the emulator options.

I'd love to hear from someone who has some insight into what's going on under the hood of this game. Like I said originally, I suspect field rendering is to blame, but other field-rendered games (e.g. Tekken Tag Tournament) seem to look totally fine on my BC PS3.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
If it looks like deinterlacing artefacts, then it's probably is the deinterlacing screwing with the IQ. Deinterlacing algorithms generally don't play nice with videogames in general, though some games will always look worse than others (and it would seem Tenchu is one of those games).

TTT probably looks better because movement is generally horizontal, which is the type of motion deinterlacing is generally designed to deal with.

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I noticed that too years ago. I luckily still had a working ps2 available. This was on my 60gb ps3 which is now dead due to ylod.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
If it looks like deinterlacing artefacts, then it's probably is the deinterlacing screwing with the IQ. Deinterlacing algorithms generally don't play nice with videogames in general, though some games will always look worse than others (and it would seem Tenchu is one of those games).

TTT probably looks better because movement is generally horizontal, which is the type of motion deinterlacing is generally designed to deal with.
Yeah, but all PS2 games are being de-interlaced by my PS3 (unless I force progressive scan on a small few of them that allow it), and no game other than this has such messed up output. It's not like little artifacts here and there as things move. The entire screen looks like it has mis-matched scanlines alternating every other line. Like every horizontal line being rendered is slightly shifted from the ones above/below it, causing everything to look extremely blurry.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Running it in an emulator on PC seems to avoid this, but that comes with other graphical issues as the game just isn't perfectly emulated even with an assortment of game-specific "fixes" selected in the emulator options.
Did you try that emulator in software mode? It's suppose to have more accurate visual effects in software mode.