• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, revolution happens, billionaires are brought down. Now what? Who makes the decisions on how to achieve this economic utopia?
Have you heard of this neat invention called "democracy"?
What makes you think they'd be any less corrupt and self serving than the people making the decisions now?
Nothing, except that their corruption wouldn't be backed up by billions. I hope I don't need to explain how a corrupt person with $1 billion is more of a threat than a corrupt person with $1.
Has there been an example of a state run economy that thrived long term?
Nope. Great thing is, there doesn't need to be. There wasn't a democracy that thrived in the long term until people tried it.

And it's not like there weren't failures along the way. What's important is that the failures did not stop people from trying again.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole "seize the means" thing is the most extreme option. People need to understand we can't even do the minimum amount of legislative reform because of the power of corporate lobbying. Even if you believe in "ethical capitalism", or Nordic Style "democratic capitalism", you still have the contend with the overwhelming power of corporations and millionaires/billionaires, and their lobbying. How do you plan to do this without depriving them of their wealth, either with taxes or just by taking it? Gradual reform? Great, so you're basically racing against time and entropy. Let me show you what people "on the other side" are doing:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ho...o-save-themselves-after-the-apocalypse.98731/

Which region will be less affected by the coming climate crisis: New Zealand or Alaska? Is Google really building Ray Kurzweil a home for his brain, and will his consciousness live through the transition, or will it die and be reborn as a whole new one? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked: "How do I maintain authority over my security force after the Event?"

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed in time.
They're deliberating about how they will oppress you. If your reaction to this is "well that's their right as the ultra rich", I can't help you.

What about recruiting the billionaires' help? Well they have an answer to that as well.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/at...bal-elite-at-davos-burst-into-laughter.95314/
When billionaire chief executive Michael Dell was asked on Wednesday whether he would support a proposal put forth by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) to tax millionaires at a 70 percent tax rate on income exceeding $10 million, the audience for a Davos panel about tech and global inequality burst into laughter before he could answer.

Dell, founder and head of Dell Technologies, first responded by saying he's more comfortable allocating significant resources through his private foundation than handing over that money to the government. But then he answered more directly.
They think it's funny.

Last edited: