• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does tackling real life issues reconfirm FF7's GOAT status?

• Yeah

Votes: 62 26.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 24 10.3%
  • Probably not

Votes: 146 62.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
While Mako supplies energy, it comes at a terrible cost. Mako comes from the planet's very soul -- the Lifestream. By draining the Earth of Mako, Shinra is killing the Earth. Shinra's environmental impact spurs the creation of the eco-terrorist organization Avalanche, which hopes to stop Shinra from killing the planet

Today's Class Divide

The poor in Midgar itself are, in a very telling moment, representative of minority groups often oppressed by massive governmental and business forces. It is telling that Avalanche is led by Barret, a black man, and Tifa, a woman. The members of the group consist of a fairly diverse group of characters. It is hard not to draw comparisons to real-life social groups, where minorities' basic rights are kept from them thanks to a corrupt, uncaring system. They only notice said minority groups when it affects their cash flow, as is the case in Final Fantasy VII.

Climate Change

The most visible manifestation of climate change, however, comes in the form of Final Fantasy VII's Weapons. The Weapons are giant monsters summoned to defend the planet. They end up bringing ruination to Shinra in a rather karmic sense of the word. They are ancient beings, empowered by the planet, that spread destructive force throughout the world. And they're only awakened thanks to mankind's interference.

That message hits far harder in 2020, where climate change has increased the quantity of erratic storms, the ice caps rapidly melt and businesses, rather than adapt and help save the planet, only push the limits of nature ever further.

"Final Fantasy VII" also emphasizes the farcical nature of capitalist democracy. Karl Marx writes, "The executive of the modern state is but a committee for managing the common affairs" of the rich. Similarly, in the early stages of the game, the mayor of the planet's capital confides in the player matter-of-factly, saying, "Actually, I'm mayor in name only. The city and everything in it is really run by Shinra, Inc. My only real job is watching over Shinra's documents."

Additionally, "Final Fantasy VII" encourages skepticism of corporate news that recognizes coverage reflects the class interests of ownership. For instance, at one point a TV broadcast portrays AVALANCHE in a particularly unfavorable light, quoting the president of Shinra and the mayor of the capital without including any sort of progressive rebuttal. At another point a central character questions the accuracy of a report, saying, "Shinra, Inc. owns the paper, so you can't rely on that information."

Capitalism, fake news, the environment, is there a game more important next year? A few months old but good article.

I forgot how incredible this game was, need to mentally prepare myself again by listening to the soundtrack.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I first played FFVII in 2012, and I replayed in in 2018 and the music still blows me away

Hearing the new versions in the remake makes my spine tingle so much it's close to shattering

Last edited:

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
well for me it is the most important game but mainly due to the fact that it is my favourite game to date.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The game is great, the story is great, but trying to paint it as the gold standard of class divide and environmental crisis, even within the Final Fantasy series, is absurd.

We also don't even know how it will work in the remake. Reminder that they made Zack Fair a war criminal who cut foreigners to pieces just to get a promotion for his job, and then we were supposed to feel sad that the fascist company turned on him after they turned on everyone. You're asking too much of current Square-Enix to have an ounce of class consciousness.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nothing that has been released so far focuses on those issues. In fact, I do think some themes will be toned down compared to the original.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Never thought about it that way but damn that game predicted a lot of stuff, on the fake news end we could use a p2 remake, since that game also deals with neo nazism >_>

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I think TLOU2 and Cyberpunk will also have some strong message.

Most important game of 2020 might be Half Life Alyx becuae it will show the full potential of current VR technology.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Agree with the article, I remember reading it. I think it's important that it's not setting out to do these things though, they're just contained within the story. The fact that these heavy themes were in the original, and that I was a young child when I played it, probably influenced my perception of those subjects as a child. I remember being so mad at Shinra and the Turks. "But these guys didn't do it! You can't say that!" - the realisation that this kind of thing was not confined to video games was a moment of growth for me.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
More meaningful? Climate change and class divide were old news by 1997, not something on the horizon.

If anything it's kind of annoying that we have done fuck all about these issues in the past 20 years, and I don't know if a remake of a videogame is going to help.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
It's just gonna be a shallow backdrop for cool action shit and fun character moments. Would be neat if I was wrong, but I also don't mind if I'm right.

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I don't think the remake will explore this themes. Looks like everything will be even more animesh than in the original. I'm one of the biggest fans of the seventh fantasy, but I have 0 hope in they will respect the essence of the original.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Is just a videogame my dude

Is not gonna change anyone's mind and isn't more important because you try really hard to make it "socially responsible" lol.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I genuinely am one hundred percent sure it is not the most important game of 2020. You give it way too much importance, it seems.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I don't think what it offers is comparable to academical literature on the subjects it explores but I think we're demanding too much from a game with such a wide reach.
More importantly I think FF7 messages, do penetrate in most cases. I sincerely think I'd be a somewhat different person were it not for FF7. Not saying it formed my whole personality but it for sure informed it, and very early on might I add.

It's not exploring these subjects deeply but it's coming at it from the right direction and I think that's important enough. Not being a treatise on modern states and capitalism does not invalidate that the game does indeed tackle these.

That said, there's no "most important" game of 2020.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
How many derivative articles like this are going to be written I wonder.

f5rB5Nz.jpg

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it has got a pretty relevant story. It is my most anticipated game anyway...well Cyberpunk 2077 is the other - that looks incredible as well.
More meaningful? Climate change and class divide were old news by 1997, not something on the horizon.

If anything it's kind of annoying that we have done fuck all about these issues in the past 20 years, and I don't know if a remake of a videogame is going to help.

Climate change was barely in mainstream consciousness in 1997....I mean even now there sure is a lot of talk, but action is pretty low level.

Oct 31, 2017
From what I can remember of ff vii it didn't really have a deep take or provide tangible approaches to the modern issues of today. It really comes off as more of a setting or thematic element than deep political discourse. In this way, ff vii fails to be impactful in the same way someone like Greta Thunberg is for example.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, if they play it well and in a sensible manner it can still feel very relevant.
Not as much as you think, but still a lot.

They can also turn up the "Shinra is a totalitarian classist government" up to 11, with drones (like the ones seen at TGS), fake news (Pres. Shinra accusing Avalanche of working with Wutai) and propaganda (the fake promotional video that played at the E3 booth) and so on.

The one thing i fear is that they'll lean in too much into the Sephirot storyline which will make the Shinra one feel a lot weaker, which would be a shame considering that in the original game you tought that the company would be the villain for the entire game.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Climate change and class divide are just as important topics today as they were in 1997. It's not like climate activists weren't a thing back then. Only difference is that the message reaches more ears today because of the urgency caused by humankind's absolute, total inaction for the cause.

As for class divide, the problem is exactly the same and still heavily ignored by, of course, the upper class who doesn't want to lose a cent from their pockets to help the needful ones.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
i mean, the original dumps any kind of real-world action to become jrpg/anime god killing pretty quickly and i'd argue it cares more about cloud than it does any environmental message.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's not even a full game. There is no way SE can make this game live up to it's potential knowing it's only a tiny fraction of the games story.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, the original dumps any kind of real-world action to become jrpg/anime god killing pretty quickly and i'd argue it cares more about cloud than it does any environmental message.
I don't agree, the whole plot, while yeah it involves JRPG tropes, is about the planet crying and fighting to survive. It's about everyone fighting to suck out as much energy from it as they can. The weapons themselves are considered the planet's last line of defense.

Heck, it's the lifestream (planet) that stops Meteor after all.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think Square is a bit too conservative with how women are treated in XV or DQ's composer to take this games message to heart, it's pretty much the generic heroes journey against the big bad corp that is destroying something.
It's a nice message though & aged very well, something like Marines fighting Aliens or Demons has as much substance as a puddle, FF7 at least has some depth.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tlou 2 will have something to say and is probably equally as important if not more.
Cyberpunk 2077 if the writing holds up will have something to say and the themes will be important in todays world .

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are gonna be too busy jerking off to Tifa and Aerith to care about the writing and themes.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Those issues are important and while i appreciate how ff7 discusses them, they were relevant in 1997 as well. Its likely that most people who played it then were on average much younger than those who are playing it now so i suspect it will just seem more relevant because those are issues adults pay much more attention to.

I doubt other games discussed such as tlou2 or cyberpunk will have messages as meaningful however, as they have already bungled their attempts at lgbt representation before release (tlou2 bury your gays and cyberpunk with the weird trans fetishism)

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I don't agree, the whole plot, while yeah it involves JRPG tropes, is about the planet crying and fighting to survive. It's about everyone fighting to suck out as much energy from it as they can. The weapons themselves are considered the planet's last line of defense.

Heck, it's the lifestream (planet) that stops Meteor after all.
aye but that's a weird message to give if you're hoping people get up off their ass and do something.
i mean it's very very true the planet will survive and flourish without us but it's our activism that will save us, not magic jrpg mumbo jumbo.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is great, the story is great, but trying to paint it as the gold standard of class divide and environmental crisis, even within the Final Fantasy series, is absurd.

We also don't even know how it will work in the remake. Reminder that they made Zack Fair a war criminal who cut foreigners to pieces just to get a promotion for his job, and then we were supposed to feel sad that the fascist company turned on him after they turned on everyone. You're asking too much of current Square-Enix to have an ounce of class consciousness.
This feels like an essential quote I'd expect to see in a post release analysis. Well done. I do agree with all points.

Holding FF7 up as a game that speaks to our current climate in every sense is not such a good idea.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I still remember when Barett was all excited about discovering oil in Advent Children, lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
FFVII Remake looks great and I do appreciate that its story elements are urgently relateable, but it's way too invested in being a stylish entertainment product to really make a mark on larger culture, I think...

What I'm trying to say is that maybe the game dips its hands in a few too many shonen tropes to be taken completely seriously?

Nov 13, 2017

Honestly, this.

Does the game have relevant themes that parallel the real world? Sure. Are most players going to be absorbing those themes instead of focusing on the anime, waifus, and swords? Absolutely not.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i admit will be interesting to see how the game "tackles" certain elements in 2019 (edit: 2020, derp)

but original game was essentially about how messed up Cloud is +stuff happens

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of you remember the ending? This game was 100% about the environment. It's not a stretch at all.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original game didn't explore these themes as much as it should have, so here's hoping the Remake does.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issues that FF7 tackles are relevant now, moreso than when the game was released but 2020 is still a ways away and there are a lot of promising titles coming that year so in my opinion the jury is still out if it will be goat. I just hope it's not an 18 hour linear trek through Midgar because if it is, I might skip it or just wait for the eventual "collection".

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It will be about as meaningful as Cyberpunk with its themes of corporate greed shaping society but I think people should set their expectations straight with how a modern FF will tackle these issues lol.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

zack was not a war criminal, but i agree that chapter was horrible in crisis core they treated the war as just a mission with even fun moments its bizarre, you even fight more monsters than soldiers to not feel bad, and zack doesnt start to question shinra after it. If they explore this in the remake i hope its not portrayed like that. The story of zack has lots of potential, because he sees and learns what shinra does and rebels from the inside, but i think you will not see many ff7 fans that defends crisis core story mistakes.

I also agree that the original has 1 inconsistency with the way they treat coal energy. FF7 is a very popular game that portraited enviromnental and class struggle and revolutionary action i cant think about many games that talk about that, i also question if square will handle the topics in a good way today, but the remake looks fantastic so far and they are taking a deeper look at avalanche, midgar and shinra and this is the center of those points in the original game, they also say there's avalanche cells globaly then those topics will not be restricted only in part 1. Lets wait and see, but about the original i think its a fantastics game even if they dont dive to deep in those points.