• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Iron sights or the changing of the animation for zoom on weapons in Halo was a change for the sake of change (per 343i's M.O.)
it not make sense for a Spartan to bring a weapon to their face because of how thier armor interacts with weapons. And since 343 "cares" about the 'lore' this isn't needed.

Also ADS on automatics does affect the spread for the weapons.

The only reason the animation was changed is to facilitate the design of new warzone MTX shit and to bring in flavor of the month shooter fans.

And if me wanting them to make a Halo game without inane changes like that is gatekeeping... Then I'm fine. Because cod fans have a new game every year (that caters to them) they can go play.

Halo players have to deal with the shit changes that were meant to bring in a wider audience after that audience leaves. And we've been dealing with that shit since Halo reach.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Iron sights or the changing of the animation for zoom on weapons in Halo was a change for the sake of change (per 343i's M.O.)
it not make sense for a Spartan to bring a weapon to their face because of how thier armor interacts with weapons. And since 343 "cares" about the 'lore' this isn't needed.

The only reason the animation was changed is to facilitate the design of new warzone MTX shit and to bring in flavor of the month shooter fans.

And if me wanting them to make a Halo game without inane changes like that is gatekeeping... Then I'm fine. Because cod fans have a new game every year (that caters to them) they can go play.

Halo players have to deal with the shit changes that were meant to bring in a wider audience after that audience leaves. And we've been dealing with that shit since Halo reach.
Preach

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Yup.

Halo's biggest problem is that it started making gameplay changes catered around appealing to an audience that will leave the game in a month or two in order to play the next shooter that comes along. Halo basically stopped dancing with the date they brought to the dance.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
As Ragnarok said, thematically smart scope doesn't make sense, it's a weird decision that feels very much "we need to make it look more like CoD"

Abby from Brooklyn GiantBomb has said she likes ADS and thinks hip-fire only is weird, and I imagine this sentiment exists with a decent amount of people who've become accustomed to CoD/BF gameplay.

For me the biggest concern would be scopes granting some benefit not present in the older games. If they're purely visual for people that like that feel, no issue there.

As long as we can still parkor around the map, gun in hand, no animations getting in the way, that's basically all I'd wager most people want (of those that dislike the changes in 4/5)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In a roundabout way Halo CE kind of feels fresh again simply because so many modern FPS games play identical now, Halo included.

Halo, Destiny, Titanfall, Call of Duty, and Battlefield do not feel the same to each other. They don't play identically either?

(i do agree ADS should be modified tho)

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark

Exactly! Remove ads, remove sprint, and just give us Halo 2-3 with the Halo 5 netcode.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Halo, Destiny, Titanfall, Call of Duty, and Battlefield do not feel the same to each other. They don't play identically either?

(i do agree ADS should be modified tho)

In how many of these games is there a split second TTK, and in how many of these do you hold the left trigger to ADS? How many of these have sprint be a part of the gameplay?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what I want out of this series anymore. I used to spend waaaaay too much time shit talking Reach and H4 in HaloGAF threads and now I'm largely apathetic. H1-3 style multiplayer is no longer fashionable and I don't care about the overwhelming majority of AAA shooters these days. I haven't consistently played the series in like six years and a ton has changed since then.

I want 343 to experiment like mad. No more old-school Halo that your average FPS population barely remembers and certainly not the abomination that all of H4 turned out to be. Give me something weird and unique. I wouldn't be surprised to see Infinite MP turn into something like Overwatch — there's plenty of lore to pull characters from with the variety of weaponry to back it up. Campaign is apparently a reboot, might as well do the same with MP.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of those play similarly to each other, but you have to not have played some of them for any decent length of time to believe that they're all very similar.
Ive played them all extensively. Halo 5 plays much more closely to those titles than it does to the original 3 Bungie games. And thats because at the foundation of all of those games is sprinting and ADS.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what I want out of this series anymore. I used to spend waaaaay too much time shit talking Reach and H4 in HaloGAF threads and now I'm largely apathetic. H1-3 style multiplayer is no longer fashionable and I don't care about the overwhelming majority of AAA shooters these days. I haven't consistently played the series in like six years and a ton has changed since then.

I want 343 to experiment like mad. No more old-school Halo that your average FPS population barely remembers and more and certainly not the abomination that all of H4 turned out to be. Give me something weird and unique. I wouldn't be surprised to see Infinite MP turn into something like Overwatch — there's plenty of lore to pull characters from with the variety of weaponry to back it up. Campaign is apparently a reboot, might as well do the same with MP.

While I want Infinite to go back to MP roots....

I will say I was VERY disappointed with the initial Reach leaks/gameplay

What I saw was a more tactical art style, a non-numbered Halo title, etc... I was expecting a bigger departure and I woulda been fine with that (after all, we still had Halo 3 on that same generation)

Instead we got another Halo title.

If they can make it fun a bigger departure for Infinite could be fun. After all, we'll always have MCC.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I feel like the most unique thing about Halo is the Vehicular combat integration. And while that is an awesome thing to have, I do miss some of the other more unique factors.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In how many of these games is there a split second TTK, and in how many of these do you hold the left trigger to ADS? How many of these have sprint be a part of the gameplay?

Jesus.

What's next? Gears of War, Uncharted, and Max Payne all play exactly the same?

GTA, Saints Row, Crackdown, identical now?

Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Mario 64, identical.

Ive played them all extensively. Halo 5 plays much more closely to those titles than it does to the original 3 Bungie games. And thats because at the foundation of all of those games is sprinting and ADS.

"Plays more closely" is very different to "identical".

The movement of the games feel different, the gunplay feels different, the combat philosophy is different, the map layout is different.

You can compare Battlefield 4, Black Ops 4, and Rainbow Six Siege and all 3 have a distinct feeling.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck dude, they play nothing alike. Titan fall and cod, yeah, they are from the same developer. But Halo. No way.
They play nothing alike the more granular you look at them.

Something like Apex Legends and Battlefield for instance feel SO different. But at the same time how does a combat encounter work there?

Sprint around the map. Find enemy. Hold left trigger. Fire, trying to stay on target. Rinse repeat. For both games. TTK and shooting mechanics differ a bit.

Halo is the one shooter that feels a little more unique in that regard because you retain perfect accuracy in hipfire and while jumping around. There is also a very satisfying little metagame within the shooting where you are trying to wittle their shields down and then aim for the head for the one shot. With all the changes to recent Halos, this has always remained what sent them apart. Every combat encounter felt like a dance. The TTK was set in such a way that encouraged team shooting. Something not many other shooters, if any, encourage as much as Halo.

Saying Halo 5 feels closer to CoD than Halo 3 is just stupid though.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck dude, they play nothing alike. Titan fall and cod, yeah, they are from the same developer. But Halo. No way.

I'm probably going to catch so much shit for saying this. But if you took a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being First Person Adventure (Metroid Prime), and 10 Being First Person Shooter (COD).

Then you'd see Halo slipping more and more over to the 10 side of the scale over the years. Halo CS, 2, and 3 and ODST all felt like great FPS games, but with strong FPA elements to them. Reach and on have all felt like more FPS games with no FPA qualities.

Bad opinion, I know.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont see how you could agree cod and titanfall are similar but the others arent. Especially when Apex was made by the same people as well. Halo absolutely now has more in common with those games than it does with the original 3. And its because the foundational gameplay has been altered to fit that of other contemporary shooters like Cod.
Jesus.

The movement of the games feel different, the gunplay feels different, the combat philosophy is different, the map layout is different.

You can compare Battlefield 4, Black Ops 4, and Rainbow Six Siege and all 3 have a distinct feeling.
Yeah thats more accurate I suppose. I would agree theyre not completely identical. But they certainly have a base foundation that plays very similar to eachother (sprinting around, clambering, aiming down sights, quick twitch shooting, etc).

I'm probably going to catch so much shit for saying this. But if you took a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being First Person Adventure (Metroid Prime), and 10 Being First Person Shooter (COD).

Then you'd see Halo slipping more and more over to the 10 side of the scale over the years. Halo CS, 2, and 3 and ODST all felt like great FPS games, but with strong FPA elements to them. Reach and on have all felt like more FPS games with no FPA qualities.

Bad opinion, I know.
Nah its not a bad opinion. I agree with you.

They play nothing alike the more granular you look at them.

Something like Apex Legends and Battlefield for instance feel SO different. But at the same time how does a combat encounter work there?

Sprint around the map. Find enemy. Hold left trigger. Fire, trying to stay on target. Rinse repeat. For both games. TTK and shooting mechanics differ a bit.

Halo is the one shooter that feels a little more unique in that regard because you retain perfect accuracy in hipfire and while jumping around. There is also a very satisfying little metagame within the shooting where you are trying to wittle their shields down and then aim for the head for the one shot. With all the changes to recent Halos, this has always remained what sent them apart. Every combat encounter felt like a dance. The TTK was set in such a way that encouraged team shooting. Something not many other shooters, if any, encourage as much as Halo.

Saying Halo 5 feels closer to CoD than Halo 3 is just stupid though.
No its not but given that youre making outright false claims in this thread I guess this is the type of discourse I would expect from you. Halo 5 and 3 play nothing alike given how slow and floaty Halo 3 is compared to 5. Honestly out of the 3 original games Halo 3 was like the one game that was furtherst from 5 that you could have possibly picked too given how slow that game is.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i hate fun too.

Of course I don't hate fun. There are things I liked like groundpound, but I also recognize that Halo 5's controls got too convoluted for some people. It's better to simplify it somewhat. Halo should be easy to learn, difficult to master. Halo 5 was not easy to learn. It needs to be streamlined especially when it's going to be Kb&M as well. Halo 5's movement does not work well on keyboard as is. It was very much designed for gamepad only.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Couldnt disagree more. Halo, cod, titanfall, alex, and , destiny all play incredibly alike.
Lmao. Ok bud.
In all cases you are holding a controller and press buttons to play in that regard I agree they are all identical.

Ttk in all of these games is different to each other. Weapon sandbox style is different.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No its not but given that youre making outright false claims in this thread I guess this is the type of discourse I would expect from you. Halo 5 and 3 play nothing alike given how slow and floaty Halo 3 is compared to 5. Honestly out of the 3 original games Halo 3 was like the one game that was furtherst from 5 that you could have possibly picked too given how slow that game is.

Are you seriously saying you think Halo 5 is closer to Call of Duty than it is to Halo 3 (or any Halo for that matter)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Right.... And all racing games play alike, platformers too, action games and RPG's as well lol.
I quantified what it was that made it closer to one than the other, and what's truly lol worthy here is by your own hypothetical halo 1-3 would be exactly like cod which entirely misses my argument but I suppose its easier to come in with over the top hyperbole.
Lmao. Ok bud.
In all cases you are holding a controller and press buttons to play in that regard I agree they are all identical.

Ttk in all of these games is different to each other. Weapon sandbox style is different.
See above. Your general broad catch all isnt close to capturing my argument.

Also I'm not your buddy frand

Are you seriously saying you think Halo 5 is closer to Call of Duty than it is to Halo 3 (or any Halo for that matter)
Absolutely. I wasnt even aware that was that radical of an opinion to hold. People seriously underestimate how significantly impactful sptrint, clamber, and abilities are to the core gameplay. They make entirely nothing like the original halo games

Man I was beginning to miss the hordes of bad takes in old HaloGAF threads, this shit really brings me back
Says the poster who was trying to argue ads has no effect on gameplay (and would be wrong in every game in the halo franchise)

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
ads is about the only thing 5 has in common with CoD lol

edit. unless you are comparing to advanced warfare I guess.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quantified what it was that made it closer to one than the other, and what's truly lol worthy here is by your own hypothetical halo 1-3 would be exactly like cod which entirely misses my argument but I suppose its easier to come in with over the top hyperbole.

See above. Your general broad catch all isnt close to capturing my argument.

Also I'm not your buddy frand

Absolutely. I wasnt even aware that was that radical of an opinion to hold. People seriously underestimate how significantly impactful sptrint, clamber, and abilities are to the core gameplay. They make entirely nothing like the original halo games

Says the poster who was trying to argue ads has no effect on gameplay (and would be wrong in every game in the halo franchise)
Adding Zoom on the AR had an effect on gameplay
Adding Zoom on the AR in Halo 1-4 would have had the same effect.

Adding ADS to the BR had no effect on gameplay. ADS stands for Aim Down Sights. 343 in Halo 5 made the decision to forgo the digital link to add holographic sights to the weapons. Purely cosmetic

Cmon son how many times do I have to post this. Do you at least understand what I am getting at?

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017

Adding ADS to the BR had no effect on gameplay. ADS stands for Aim Down Sights. 343 in Halo 5 made the decision to forgo the digital link to add holographic sights to the weapons. Purely cosmetic

Cmon son how many times do I have to post this. Do you at least understand what I am getting at?

The point you're making has been said far too many times tbh. I watched more of this guys videos and I don't think he even knew other halo games had bullet magnetism

Halo plays nothing like COD TF or destiny like what are people even talking about in here

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But it wasnt there in Halo 1-4, and it does have an effect. So in either scenario when you say things like "its just cosmetic" and "it didn't effect gameplay" youre not really using the right language.

Your second point, that is NOT just cosmetic lmao. Bullet spread changes when you are aiming down sights vs aiming from the hip. Trying to make this about appearance of a digital link vs no digital link does not alter the fact that when we talk about design decisions in gaming, cosmetic means no effect on the actual gameplay. ADS on assault weapons has a real, tangible and measurable impact on the way those weapons behave. To call them cosmetic is just plainly, 100% objectively wrong (not to mention how hilarious their claim was about it being concerned with immersion within the universe despite that decision going against the lore of the universe).

I get what you are saying, the problem is what you just posted is what you mean to say, which is fundamentally different than laughing at people who keep telling you ADS is not cosmetic (like 343 claimed), or that it was different from halo 1-4 because the only ADS in those games were with weapons with scopes (which makes far more sense). Just own up that the way youre making this argument is not actually what the conversation is about nor what you actually mean when you say ADS on auto weapons is purely cosmetic (or when you say there is no impact on gameplay). Because thats just wrong.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it wasnt there in Halo 1-4, and it does have an effect. So in either scenario when you say things like "its just cosmetic" and "it didn't effect gameplay" youre not really using the right language.

Your second point, that is NOT just cosmetic lmao. Bullet spread changes when you are aiming down sights vs aiming from the hip. Trying to make this about appearance of a digital link vs no digital link does not alter the fact that when we talk about design decisions in gaming, cosmetic means no effect on the actual gameplay. ADS on assault weapons has a real, tangible and measurable impact on the way those weapons behave. To call them cosmetic is just plainly, 100% objectively wrong (not to mention how hilarious their claim was about it being concerned with immersion within the universe despite that decision going against the lore of the universe).

I get what you are saying, the problem is what you just posted is what you mean to say, which is fundamentally different than laughing at people who keep telling you ADS is not cosmetic (like 343 claimed), or that it was different from halo 1-4 because the only ADS in those games were with weapons with scopes (which makes far more sense). Just own up that the way youre making this argument is not actually what the conversation is about nor what you actually mean when you say ADS on auto weapons is purely cosmetic (or when you say there is no impact on gameplay). Because thats just wrong.

Ugh I'm gonna stop trying to get through with you. I understand I'm trying to clarify the wording of ADS and zoom and its not getting to you so I'll stop.

Just answer me this.

Do you think ADS on the Battle Rifle/DMR/Pistol, the way its implemented in Halo 5, affects gameplay in a different way than traditional zoom on the Battle Rifle/DMR/Pistol did in Halo 1-4? I mean beyond the cosmetic differences between games of how the zoom looks. Does zooming in Halo 1-4 with those specific weapons act differently than it does in Halo 5?

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus.

My point was not that they were exactly the same, my point was that all these shooter share a lot of DNA, so it understandable to someone that isn't really a fan of said shooters, that once you learn the basic of sprint to encounter, hold L and aim then hold R. The differentiating factors become smaller. I think it's easy to see how people feel they are similar/the same if say, they grew up on doom/quake/halo/etc. all of which don't follow that formula. (At least until halo 4/5).

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I'm gonna stop trying to get through with you. I understand I'm trying to clarify the wording of ADS and zoom and its not getting to you so I'll stop.

Just answer me this.

Do you think ADS on the Battle Rifle/DMR/Pistol, the way its implemented in Halo 5, affects gameplay in a different way than traditional zoom on the Battle Rifle/DMR/Pistol did in Halo 1-4? I mean beyond the cosmetic differences between games of how the zoom looks. Does zooming in Halo 1-4 with those specific weapons act differently than it does in Halo 5?
I don't know how he's struggling to understand what you're saying lmao.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Man I was beginning to miss the hordes of bad takes in old HaloGAF threads, this shit really brings me back

How is it a bad take to say that a game with sprinting, sliding, mantling and universal ADS feels closer to COD than a 12 year old Halo game? The reason Halo is in the shutter is partly due to copying these very mechanics.

Of the OG trilogy Halo 3 is by far the slowest and most boring to play.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly! Remove ads, remove sprint, and just give us Halo 2-3 with the Halo 5 netcode.

Have you played Halo 2 Anniversary MP? It's basically this, and MCC is pretty much "fixed" now. Shame it didn't launch like this, and shame it didn't get any new maps. Definitely check it out if you haven't.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Can you explain how ADS is a "foundation" of Halo 5?

My point was not that they were exactly the same, my point was that all these shooter share a lot of DNA, so it understandable to someone that isn't really a fan of said shooters, that once you learn the basic of sprint to encounter, hold L and aim then hold R. The differentiating factors become smaller. I think it's easy to see how people feel they are similar/the same if say, they grew up on doom/quake/halo/etc. all of which don't follow that formula. (At least until halo 4/5).
Halo 5 is not a game based around "hold L to aim then hold R".

Hipfire is just as useful and just as necessary as it has always been.

Literally the only tangible change that Halo 5's "ADS" introduced was an increase in the effective range of autos.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What are you talking about? I think you missed the point of my post lol.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Just answer me this.

The problem lies in calling zooming cosmetic at all. What you mean to say is that because ADS was also featured in previous Halo games that adding this same feature to other weapons in 5 makes this merely cosmetic rather than distinguishing anything significant in gameplay. But that still doesn't make it cosmetic. ADS has tangible effects in previous Halo games as well.

My issue is adding this in to all weapons regardless of whether they have scopes to them, and then adding in an additional step to fights for all weapons (auto weapons) is just adding in full ADS to the game as opposed to having it exist for weapons with scopes. And as you yourself said, this has little impact on the game so why is it in except to appease CoD fans? Do auto weapons NEED to have us ADS or is it another mechanism designed to appease fans of contemporary shooters?

I don't know how he's struggling to understand what you're saying lmao.
I understand what hes trying to say, the problem has always been what hes actually saying and what he means aren't actually the same thing.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
The problem lies in calling zooming cosmetic at all. What you mean to say is that because ADS was also featured in previous Halo games that adding this same feature to other weapons in 5 makes this merely cosmetic rather than distinguishing anything significant in gameplay. But that still doesn't make it cosmetic. ADS has tangible effects in previous Halo games as well.

My issue is adding this in to all weapons regardless of whether they have scopes to them, and then adding in an additional step to fights for all weapons (auto weapons) is just adding in full ADS to the game as opposed to having it exist for weapons with scopes. And as you yourself said, this has little impact on the game so why is it in except to appease CoD fans? Do auto weapons NEED to have us ADS or is it another mechanism designed to appease fans of contemporary shooters?

I understand what hes trying to say, the problem has always been what hes actually saying and what he means aren't actually the same thing.
He's saying that compared to previous Halo games the Zoom and the ADS are functionally the same thing and the difference is just cosmetic.

The only thing that's new is that every weapon can zoom in now which I am also not a fan of. Now maybe they wouldn't have added that ability to ARs or SMGs if they didn't change the look to ADS, we don't know. But if they were going to allow those weapons to scope in anyway there wouldn't be as much blowback as there was if looked like a normal Halo zoom.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Halo fan since OG launch here. Thousands of matches on each game.

While I'm sympathetic to those who want traditional play, with the advent of a working and functional MCC, you can easily play any version you want. I get this complaint when they took H2 servers offline or H3 wasn't BC, but like, if you want to play that, just go play that.

The H5 MP is an excellent modern console FPS. The micro transactions people mention were completely optional and only applied to a tack-on mode. I have everything and never bought a single pack. They did eventually sink that mode under the accumulated weight and unbalancing, but Warzone was a good experiment.

Expecting a game to stay frozen in time is silly. And boring. It doesn't mean every change will be good. But they cannot make Halo games just for nostalgic 30-50 year olds reliving their younger days. It's franchise suicide. You just cannot do it and have it be the tentpole they need/want it to be.

H2 can be H2 and H3 can be H3 and H6 can be something different, and that's ok, and most likely, better for a healthy future for the franchise. Just play the earlier games if you want. It's the beauty of their caring about maintaining the back catalog and making the games easily available.

What killed Halo momentum wasn't ground pound or sprint or Prometheans. It was the botched MCC launch---for like two years - coupled with the Xbox getting slaughtered in general. But good on 343 for fixing it. Then followed by the forced-squad H5 campaign, which was the decision that ruined that game. (Led to many of the other campaign problems.)