• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
MCC has been fixed for quite a while, I play it pretty regularly. Like I said, I have less issues with MCC than I have with H5. When is the last time you booted it up?

Sorry I reply so late, I missed your comment. I play MCC almost on a daily basis.

I have 2.783 hours played in MCC (Sad, I know), recently completed LASO on all games, been onyx in H5, and I was lvl 50 back in the H3 days.
I know what I am talking about,

Here is my service record.

Yeah thank fuck they don't charge us for armor colors.

I have to be honest. I have no clue where Bungie would have taken Halo after Reach. At least 343 tried to continue Halo on a path where the wind was set by Bungie.

Feb 9, 2018
I'm a little late getting back into this discussion, but here goes.

I agree with Favyn's overall point that the best way to innovate in Halo is through things external to the player, i.e., the sandbox and interactions with it, rather than through core player attributes like movement and default abilities. The biggest thing that frustrates me with Halo 5 is the Spartan Abilities. It fundamentally changes the pacing and flow of the game. By changing the Spartans from "walking tanks" to "fighter jets," Halo 5 abandoned the slower, more methodical pace of combat in previous games in favor of a twitchier high-mobility experience, and in doing so made Halo 5 not feel very much like a Halo game. I cannot say I'm a fan. At my age I simply have a hard time keeping up with the fast pace and maximalist design of the game in multiplayer. I'm good at classic Halo, but I can't seem to do nearly as well in Halo 5. In recent months I grew so increasingly frustrated with Halo 5's multiplayer that I stopped playing entirely, and I haven't touched it in seven weeks, though I still play the MCC regularly.

Halo Infinite really needs to go back to basics for the core player attributes. No Spartan abilities, and preferably no sprint as a default ability (and hopefully the decline of the "mobility shooter" has discouraged 343i from emulating that subgenre again). In general, if the gameplay needs to evolve it should do so in the ways Fayvn suggested: new additions to the sandbox, new interactions with them, and the like. The Campaign can evolve through level design, encounter design, and even general improvements to the AI. If the MP needs to evolve, then it ought to do so through innovations in map designs and game modes. For example, I'd like to see ideas from Invasion and Warzone expanded upon, with a dash of Battlefield added, to produce a truly massive large-scale Big Team experience that supports at minimum 16v16, if not more, with appropriately large-scale maps to go with it (as opposed to the constrained, congested maps in Warzone, which weren't any bigger than Blood Gulch in terms of playable surface area).

I wanted to talk more specifically about some other things brought up in this thread, but that'll have to wait. I have to be to work soon.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Copy pasting my post from the Halo OT

You guys should read the Gears 5 campaign impressions.

The short version is, they are going semi open world. There will be hub sections with fluid (hop on and off) vehicle traversal, side quests, secrets, etc. You are encouraged to explore because it has lite RPG elements in that you can upgrade your JACK robot with skills ranging from giving your team shields, stealth, zapping enemies, picking up ammo etc. You can also find easter egg and "relic" weapons which are variants of existing weapons with added functionality/perks. Ie a 2 bullet firing Longshot or a hipfire focused boltok. You can store any weapons you find on the Skiff you use to travel the world.

The series still preserves its tight cover based arenas and cinematic set pieces. And as you may or may not know, the core multiplayer is the tried and true classic gears gameplay, but with added modes including some with hero abilities.

The best summary I saw was that Gears 5 shakes up the formula and evolves the series forward while not sacrificing what made Gears great.

And I really REALLY hope Coalition and 343 have been sharing notes because this sounds like EXACTLY what Halo Infinite could be.

Foster exploration in campaign. Shake up the formula but preserve those tight gunfights and big vehicle sections. Keep the core multiplayer classic Halo but allow for fun new modes to shake things up.

Hell I wouldn't mind a damn near carbon copy of the campaign structure. In Gears 5 you travel the world in a skiff vehicle. What if in Halo 5 you use the Pelican (from the trailer) to travel from location to location. You can store weapons you find to customize your loadout for each mission. You can find and pick up vehicles to use as well.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Copy pasting my post from the Halo OT

You guys should read the Gears 5 campaign impressions.

The short version is, they are going semi open world. There will be hub sections with fluid (hop on and off) vehicle traversal, side quests, secrets, etc. You are encouraged to explore because it has lite RPG elements in that you can upgrade your JACK robot with skills ranging from giving your team shields, stealth, zapping enemies, picking up ammo etc. You can also find easter egg and "relic" weapons which are variants of existing weapons with added functionality/perks. Ie a 2 bullet firing Longshot or a hipfire focused boltok. You can store any weapons you find on the Skiff you use to travel the world.

The series still preserves its tight cover based arenas and cinematic set pieces. And as you may or may not know, the core multiplayer is the tried and true classic gears gameplay, but with added modes including some with hero abilities.

The best summary I saw was that Gears 5 shakes up the formula and evolves the series forward while not sacrificing what made Gears great.

And I really REALLY hope Coalition and 343 have been sharing notes because this sounds like EXACTLY what Halo Infinite could be.

Foster exploration in campaign. Shake up the formula but preserve those tight gunfights and big vehicle sections. Keep the core multiplayer classic Halo but allow for fun new modes to shake things up.

Hell I wouldn't mind a damn near carbon copy of the campaign structure. In Gears 5 you travel the world in a skiff vehicle. What if in Halo 5 you use the Pelican (from the trailer) to travel from location to location. You can store weapons you find to customize your loadout for each mission. You can find and pick up vehicles to use as well.

I am 100% down for a mix up just like that. Keep the core gaemplay there but give us a chance to do new things within the world for once. Halo's linearity hamstrings it a bit even though levels can be quite grand. Giving us some freedom of choice on the Campaign side of things is what I really want. God of War's Campaign structure for example would rule in a Halo game. We shall see what 343's been up to and my hope is they do something new with this Halo. If I want to play a traditional Halo campaign the MCC collection has preserved those.