• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jacky127

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
PlatinumGames might not be the best developer out there, but it's definitely one of the most unique ones.

Their products may have issues here and there, but damn, few developers can pull off the action-packed gameplay and that special vibe as in games like Bayonetta, MGS Rising, Wonderful 101, Nier: Automata...

Imagine every PlatinumGames title is a Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo Switch exclusive?

scalebound-625x352.jpg

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Some people don't want to be bought. Also it would suck for the industry.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone rooting for studios to be acquired exclusively all of a sudden?

It's terrible for consumers like us!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't need to buy them. They don't seem to have a problem getting games made by them (except MS) so why bother?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Not sure Microsoft would be interested when they canceled the game Platinum was making for them. That said, you could ask this for any 3rd party dev.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
I just want them to get a publisher that allows them to make their own IP (that's not a mobile game like the one they're making), and continue making quality content. Once they actually go to work on their main projects, and not stuff like TMNT, Korra, etc. They make some of my favorite games.

Oct 25, 2017
Plz god no. I love that Platinum bounces around different publishers and releases all these different games that have their style of course but different nonetheless

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Acquiring studios often back fires as talent walks out after. See Rare and pretty much every EA acquisition ever. Better to just make deals with studios and let them deal with talent turnover.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So many seem to hate non exclusive devs. It's kind of crazy.

I'm still sad ninja theory is now a console exclusive developer.

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
Great, so Platinum's games can be held back by Sony and Nintendo's lackluster hardware? I've said it before and I'll say it again. 30FPS for their style of style action games is beyond unacceptable. Thank god Switch emulation is making quick progress because I hate knowing that Bayonetta 3 will likely be 30FPS on the Switch even though Bayonetta 3 wouldn't exist without Nintendo.

I'm happy having the definitive versions of their games on PC. Thank god they're not owned by any of the console manufacturers.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't want either of those.

What's with all these acquisition threads. why do we want this again?
List wars and tribalism. There's no other reason.

Platinum works with so many different publishers in the industry that its independence allows for them to make more products than if they were restricted to one platform holder or platform. More people get the chance to experience more high quality games. Who loses here?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Acquiring studios often back fires as talent walks out after. See Rare and pretty much every EA acquisition ever. Better to just make deals with studios and let them deal with talent turnover.

That's only really a issue for western studios, not so much Japanese studios that rarely lose their talent. Which is why when it happens it's big news.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Because PG isn't up for sale?
They'd need to be willing to be bought by somone in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
They like their independence which allows them to work on whatever.
Probably smarter to just fund an exclusive if they want one every few years.
Sony gets a couple without spending a dime with SE's policy

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
2019 e3 Xbox conference

Phil: We at Xbox are proud to announce our newest studio acquisition, Platinum Games!

*Crowd goes wild*

Phil: The team at Platinum would like to announce their newest game, Halo Wars 3.

*resetera burns to the ground*

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
It would suck to not have Platinum be on every piece of hardware.

To answer your question though, I imagine that Sony and Microsoft aren't really looking to acquire studios and Microsoft isn't going to pick up the studio that was making Scalebound and made them look like the bad guy. In fact, if it wasn't for Scalebound, I have no doubt that they would have been a prime candidate for MS's shopping spree.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Some developers like their independence. Platinum is a studio that doesn't have any issue finding work. They've currently got games in development that are being published by Nintendo, Square and Cygames. They've also been looking to pursue their own IP.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum has explicitly stated that they value their independence and are really only open to working with publishers in the future if those publishers let them work on IPs they want to work on.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wonder why people assume studios are always openly willing to be bought.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
All 3rd parties should be bought out and next E3 the big 3's conferences should only consist of announcing which studios they acquired.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo? Get ready for a much smaller publisher like Bandai Namco or Koei Tecmo buying Platinum before any of those three.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo? Get ready for a much smaller publisher like Bandai Namco or Koei Tecmo buying Platinum before any of those three.

more likely Cygames. they have two games on development by Platinum.. and they are eager to spend money.

plus nintendo has a 10% ownership of their mother company

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I was honestly creeped out when people clapped at Microsoft buying 5 studios, Ninja theory among them. It was like "wait, why are you people clapping?! THIS ISN'T GOOD NEWS!"

I hope Platinum are never bought.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
They don't want to be bought. And besides, most of their games would most likely fit within Nintendo than with either Microsoft or Sony.

Nov 2, 2017
All 3rd parties should be bought out and next E3 the big 3's conferences should only consist of announcing which studios they acquired.
Lol. MS really making gamers crazy with their studios announcements as we have seen so many threads asking these useless questions. We should asking more new big games that are exciting to look forward, not new studios as owning them does not guarantee you big games as you could do without that also by contracting and giving enough funds like Sony does with independent studios.