• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Who the fuck thought the Matrix would change cinema forever and influence pretty much every action film for the next ten years?

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked at Will Smith's imdb page and it's crazy how many mediocre movies he has made in the last 15 or so years. What a waste.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, how many roles does this guy turn down?

Nobody got it worse than Sean Connery. He was offered Gandalf in LOTR, with a sizable percentage on the gross, fifteen percent, which would've netted him $450 million after all was said and one. Like Will Smith he turned it down because he didn't understand the material (somehow). He was so beat up over it he didn't reject the next time somebody offered him a nerdy film: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Movie was so bad and such a box office bomb that Connery ended up retiring from acting over it.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, how many roles does this guy turn down?

Actually, I do remember reading his explanation in this article, but I wonder if there was any reluctance to take on a role that saw his character degraded and dehumanised. He typically likes to play uncomplicated heroes. From the article:

The actor was offered a role in Quentin Tarantino's Oscar-winning film but declined due to differences in "creative direction."

When casting was underway for Quentin Tarantino's film Django Unchained, Will Smith emerged as a frontrunner for the starring role.

But the actor would not end up accepting the offer.

In The Hollywood Reporter's annual Actor Roundtable, Smith explained why he turned down the opportunity.

"It was about the creative direction of the story," Smith said. "To me, it's as perfect a story as you could ever want: a guy that learns how to kill to retrieve his wife that has been taken as a slave. That idea is perfect. And it was just that Quentin and I couldn't see [eye to eye]."

The decision wasn't made quickly. Smith met with the director and the two talked about the film for hours. However, Smith said he could not move past his view of the movie's overarching theme.

"I wanted to make that movie so badly, but I felt the only way was, it had to be a love story, not a vengeance story," Smith said.

The actor was cautious of the film's violence. Smith said the only way he would have agreed to make the movie was if Django Unchained centered on a love story, "not a vengeance story."

"We can't look at what happens in Paris [the terrorist attacks] and want to f— somebody up for that. Violence begets violence. I just couldn't connect to violence being the answer. Love had to be the answer," Smith explained.

With Smith's exit from the project, Jamie Foxx ultimately took the lead role.

Django Unchained went on to win two Oscars in 2013, with Tarantino winning Best Original Screenplay and Christoph Waltz taking home Best Supporting Actor.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
In fairness I don't blame him balking if he's being honest. If I was an A-list rising actor and I heard "360 degree cameras" from directors untested in action I'd be nervous af too.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US

tumblr_nvgw569Gfb1sa4s16o1_250.gif

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, i do remember him buying some fancy motocycles and cars, but you're right. i do recall him donating his initial matrix money to the production or something to that effect.
The the Stuntmans and trainers since they actually had such a huge central role in that movie.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Keanu is awesome as Neo, but I think about the Brandon Lee idea all the time. I'd love to peek into that timeline.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way the Wachowskis are bad pitchers. The studio took a massive risk on greenlighting The Matrix, a script that most people didn't understand, directed by two people who'd only made one movie previously. They pitched the concept perfectly to Joel Silver and WB.

I mean, if they pitched it as "we spin the camera around you frozen in time" that wasn't a bad pitch in that a) it got the film made, and b) that pan around shot was perhaps one of the most gratuitously parodied scenes of the 2000s. It clearly was influential, and along with the "bullet time" stuff probably the most lasting impression the films made.

But as an actor I can imagine thinking that it's a terrible pitch.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool. I doubt the pitch was as bad as he's making it seem.

Would have loved to see how that changes the movie. Reminds me of a lot of the early casting decisions in the Godfather, not that The Matrix is nearly as important or good, but just one of those things like ... What if Dustin Hoffman had played Michael Corleone and Lawrence Olivier had played Vito Corleone or if Deniro had played Michael instead of playing young Vito in Godfather II... Just, what things would be different?

Ain't it fucked that the studio wouldn't cast Will and Laurence together in leading roles?

Yeah... Although, in 1997, or whenever the Matrix was being pitched, I'm sure the studio was worried about it seeming like "A black thing," or, alternatively, that it would be portrayed (maybe rightly? Maybe wrongly?) as white people v. black people film... Given that the primary antagonists are intentionally generic clone-like people wearing suits who are aggressively trying to assassinate the protagonists. Like, I can see how the studio might be weary of two upstart directors handling a subject like that effectively. Hell, even today, 20+ years later there's not a lot of movies with two black leads.

Last edited:

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
There's no way the Wachowskis are bad pitchers. The studio took a massive risk on greenlighting The Matrix, a script that most people didn't understand, directed by two people who'd only made one movie previously. They pitched the concept perfectly to Joel Silver and WB.
The Wachowskis are great at pitching. I mean, they got Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending funded. That's insane.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't say it was.
Oh my god, that fucking pitch, lmao. I hope that was the exact pitch.

He said he turned down MiB initially because of that, not the Matrix.
Lol. Did you finish the video? He turned it down because it wasn't a great pitch by new directors not because he thought it was an alien movie.
Did you actually watch the video?

sorry I wasn't clear – I meant, his agents/people didn't tell him that The Matrix wasn't another "alien movie", otherwise why the pre-amble? honestly I think they didn't really help him out here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The Matrix is a tough pitch when you don't have the movie itself as context. Hard to blame Smith or the Wachowskis here.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of Will Smith doing kung fu is pretty funny. Guy's too gangly or something. Keanu, on the other hand, is pretty convincing as a martial artist.
That is honestly the first time I've ever seen that opinion expressed. Speaking strictly for at the time (haven't seen John wick or that Tai chi one) but yeah he was considered fine when you look at the fact he wasn't a martial artist but he was still pretty stiff overall.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
sorry I wasn't clear – I meant, his agents/people didn't tell him that The Matrix wasn't another "alien movie", otherwise why the pre-amble? honestly I think they didn't really help him out here.
He was just giving an example of when he turned down a movie and it turned out well for him in the end because he was convinced to do it anyway, compared to the time he turned down The Matrix and he made Wild Wild West instead..

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, while I think Will Smith is a better actor than Keanu Reeves, Keanu was better for the role.

Will Smith would have likely added more of his own personality to the role and turned it into a vehicle for himself. Keanu, perhaps through his own lacking acting ability, kind of nailed the whole "detached person" angle that I felt Neo was supposed to be.

Yeah. It is basically the Arnold as Terminator thing.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
lol this whole video reeks of bullshit. I highly doubt the only thing The Wachowskis pitched him was a stoner's impression of bullet time.

I look forward to Smith's made up recollection of Tarantino pitching him Django next.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but think about the music video of him and Sisqo dancing with all the agents.

And what if Keanu went on to do WWW.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of Will Smith doing kung fu is pretty funny. Guy's too gangly or something. Keanu, on the other hand, is pretty convincing as a martial artist.

Gangly? Nah. He should have just bulked up like he did for Ali and one-punched KO'd anyone who tried to do those fancy fighting moves on him.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The Wachowskis are great at pitching. I mean, they got Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending funded. That's insane.

That's what I'm saying!

I'm their biggest fan but even I think Jupiter Ascending was garbage, how they did get such a big budget for it!? lol...

I'm sad they seem like they're semi-retired these days. They could only pitch so much... :(

EDIT: I don't know why I said 'semi', I think they're literally retired with no projects in the works...

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
I lost it when he said Wild Wild West. That comedic timing. At least WWW should his junk, that was something.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

This breaks my heart, but then again Ian McKellen nailed the role.

Actually, I do remember reading his explanation in this article, but I wonder if there was any reluctance to take on a role that saw his character degraded and dehumanised. He typically likes to play uncomplicated heroes. From the article:

Yeah there are a couple of moments in the film I couldn't see Will pulling off, Will is charismatic, but Foxx is a better actor across the board imo. Wonder why a guy like him would avoid such characters though...

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested to hear his take on turning down Django Unchained. Jamie Foxx was by no means bad, but I think the whole film would have been elevated with Will Smith in such an atypical role for him, with the innate charisma he has.
I mean will still has a brand. Playing a slave turned bounty hunter killing white people isn gonna sit well with your white viewers who still see you as the fresh prince. Jamie foxx isn't Will Smith levels of mainstream notoriety. Disney isn't asking him to be the Gentry

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Let's be honest, Django wasn't even the main character of his own movie despite being the titular character.

It's not like he made a horrible choice there. What has Django done for Jamie Foxx's career, exactly?

Murderopolis

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2019
I don't think the point is necessarily that the pitch was bad. Just that Smith didn't get it. It was strange. I mean, they got a massive budget and an all star cast for a reason.

This happens to a listers all the time. They miss out on great roles they regret. Its easy to say you made a mistake in hindsight.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, Django wasn't even the main character of his own movie despite being the titular character.

It's not like he made a horrible choice there. What has Django done for Jamie Foxx's career, exactly?
So the character with by far the most screen time isn't the main character? Don't get me wrong, Waltz has a lot of screen time as supporting cast, but trying to say Django wasn't the main character is plain dumb.

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much. Django is the sidekick to christoph waltz and Waltz then kills Candie. Django as a role is kind of beneath an A list actor like Foxx or smith but that's just my opinion. You get a young up and coming actor like John boyega etc to play djanho

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
hmmmmm

I know it's historically "adequate" for the era, but kinda feels off the way they portrayed the wachowskis in the artwork.

Nov 12, 2017
Don't forget that the Wachowskis hired multiple comic book artists to storyboard every single shot of the movie, years before.

Will is being a little disingenuous in implying all he knew about The Matrix was the "stopping in mid air" camera tech.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
lol this whole video reeks of bullshit. I highly doubt the only thing The Wachowskis pitched him was a stoner's impression of bullet time.

I look forward to Smith's made up recollection of Tarantino pitching him Django next.

Embellish a bit to tell a funny story? Sure. However there's no reason for Will to bullshit the pitch though. They probably explained the basic premise of the Matrix but spent the majority of the pitch trying to explain the revolutionary tech/type of action Will would be doing as the star. Any interview/oral history about the Wachowskis from that time showed that they were awkward. If they didn't show Will their 600 page comic or have Joel Silver in the room I'm sure something could have gotten lost in translation.

Smith recollection about turning down Django probably boils down to him not wanting to be in a movie where "Nigger" is said 100+ times.