• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the studios pitched Will and the Wachkowski's didn't want him in the first place so gave him a half-assed pitch. Dunno?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue Keanu is in a better place career-wise than Will is.
100% not. Besides John Wick Keanu is in January dump/direct to Redbox territory. I don't think he ever got involved in Scientology so he's better off than Smith in that area at least.
MV5BYzkwMmY4NTAtZDcyYy00ZDQxLWFmMTAtYjFkZDhkNzEwODgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI0MTA1MTM@._V1_SY1000_SX700_AL_.jpg

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody got it worse than Sean Connery. He was offered Gandalf in LOTR, with a sizable percentage on the gross, fifteen percent, which would've netted him $450 million after all was said and one. Like Will Smith he turned it down because he didn't understand the material (somehow). He was so beat up over it he didn't reject the next time somebody offered him a nerdy film: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Movie was so bad and such a box office bomb that Connery ended up retiring from acting over it.

Funny enough Sean Connery also turned down the matrix. The Morpheus part was pitched to him twice and they wanted him in the role opposite Will Smith. He didn't understand it at all and passed. This was also the script with out the human batteries. They say between this and the Lord of the Rings thing Sean Connery missed out on two of the biggest paydays ever.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they (wrongly) assumed the tech and 'cool shit' type stuff would be what would attract him to the role?

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty much. Django is the sidekick to christoph waltz and Waltz then kills Candie. Django as a role is kind of beneath an A list actor like Foxx or smith but that's just my opinion. You get a young up and coming actor like John boyega etc to play djanho
I agree with this. When people state you could have cut every part of the movie after Waltz dies, they are saying this because Django was not really the protagonist of the movie.

Honestly didn't need an A-lister to play the role.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
100% not. Besides John Wick Keanu is in January dump/direct to Redbox territory. I don't think he ever got involved in Scientology so he's better off than Smith in that area at least.
MV5BYzkwMmY4NTAtZDcyYy00ZDQxLWFmMTAtYjFkZDhkNzEwODgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI0MTA1MTM@._V1_SY1000_SX700_AL_.jpg

Doesn't mean shit. He takes on all kinds of movies big and medium size budget he finds interesting because he can. He ain't hurting for money and I don't think he gives a crap about fame or the public eye.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't mean shit. He takes on all kinds of movies big and medium size budget he finds interesting because he can. He ain't hurting for money and I don't think he gives a crap about fame or the public eye.
We're talking careers not personal happiness. I don't care about either of these people but Smith has the better career at the moment.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that he probably would have messed it up. It would have been a very different movie, at least.

Thanks, Will.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot picture him as Neo.

Then Val Kilmer was going to be Morpheus? Jesus Christ.....

I think it was best he didn't do the movie, lol.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough Sean Connery also turned down the matrix. The Morpheus part was pitched to him twice and they wanted him in the role opposite Will Smith. He didn't understand it at all and passed. This was also the script with out the human batteries. They say between this and the Lord of the Rings thing Sean Connery missed out on two of the biggest paydays ever.

No way? Is that legit?

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
No way? Is that legit?

Yes there's a bunch of articles on it. They wrote the Morpheus role with him in mind. He missed out on two of the biggest paydays back to back with matrix and lord of the rings. Think about the money Keanu Reeves made off of The Matrix. Sean Connery was a bigger star at the time and would have gotten a bigger cut.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

It means everything in regards to the context that poster was responding to. Career wise for Will and Keanu at this point Will is definitely in a much bigger position. Not that either of them are hurting. Personally Id rather watch John Wick over the new Aladdin, but Im not in any way confused on which will pay more.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes there's a bunch of articles on it. They wrote the Morpheus role with him in mind. He missed out on two of the biggest paydays back to back with matrix and lord of the rings. Think about the money Keanu Reeves made off of The Matrix. Sean Connery was a bigger star at the time and would have gotten a bigger cut.

Jesus man, no wonder he's so bitter lol

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus man, no wonder he's so bitter lol

The reason he did that League movie was because he missed out on those two paydays so he took the next big thing that was pitched to him thinking it would turn out the same.

I can understand turning down The Matrix because you don't understand it but I don't understand how he didn't understand Lord of the Rings

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I meant more in terms of quality overall. I know that Will's movies have grossed more, but none of Will's roles are more iconic to me than Neo in the Matrix, for instance. Will's most iconic role(s) is/are the Fresh Prince or Agent J. Which are both great roles, but not quite Neo-tier. Or hell, even Wick-tier, but that is more arguable, admittedly.

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
There's that line in the movie where Morpeus says to Neo "you have the look of a man that accept what he sees because he is expecting to wake up".

I think that sums up Keanu's performance. His understated acting played into the dream-like perception that Neo had with the world around him. The movie plays heavily on existentialism, humanism and other ideaologies while focusing less on character development and personal story-telling. Having an actor who overreacts to everything that happens to him would be tiresome to the viewer and distract from the themes.

Not defending Keanu's acting at all, but most of the other actors towed the line when it came to this muted performance - at least those who exist in some form within the matrix. Hugo was amazing though.

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
That Matrix pitch is strange, though I have to wonder what else they said. Surely they gave him a rough rundown of the plot. Though maybe at the time he thought that was too weird or esoteric to be good.

I had to go look that Sean Connery stuff up and apparently he said of LotR, "I never understood it. I read the book. I read the script. I saw the movie. I still don't understand it." Wow, what an idiot. Even after reading and seeing it... what could possibly be confusing? It's like the most straightforward fantasy I can think of.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reason he did that League movie was because he missed out on those two paydays so he took the next big thing that was pitched to him thinking it would turn out the same.

I can understand turning down The Matrix because you don't understand it but I don't understand how he didn't understand Lord of the Rings

It seems strange to us nerds but a lot of people out there just do not get fantasy/sci-fi.

Even whens its spoon fed to them like Star Wars, they still find it weird and stupid.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.....So I did Wild Wild West. lol

Will Smith and Val Kilmer? Or even Sean Connery? It would have been so different. If Will did play, wonder if Jada would have been Trinity?

Had no idea Sean Connery turned down Gandalf's role either. That was a huge payday he missed.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
[ ] this is a fantastic thread, first of all.

[ ] i do think a will smith / val kilmer matrix would be a lot different but ultimately less compelling. will smith would have made it his personal vehicle, marketers couldn't resist with some type of song or catch phrase to build around, and i don't think he had learned how not to ham it up in every performance by that point. and laurence fishburne is a damn shakespearean actor where val kilmer is specifically not. Do recall that The Saint came out right around here and Kilmer was positioned to stay in this quasi sci fi genre, but his Morpheus would've been much different (more John The Baptist and less Mr. Miyagi)

[ ] this sean connery stuff is sad but not surprising. how does anyone not know why he doesn't understand LoTR? not his speed at all.

[ ] i too want to visit the 'brandon lee lives' timeline. that would be fuckin wild.

[ ] please give me more of these stories of actors talking about how they turned down roles with 20/20 hindsight. fascinating to think about.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I agree that he probably would have messed it up. It would have been a very different movie, at least.

Thanks, Will.

I do not think so. Will Smith is a very talented dude; he has this ability to be really charming and lighthearted or very stoic, intense and badass.

Actually, I am really curious in his take on Neo. The Matrix is not really a movie with any humor.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
TIL Keanu gave away upwards of 80 million dollars of his Matrix paycheck to the special effects , make up crew. Fucking wow

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
None of them had (Before or after the Matrix) the same star power that Will had at his peak and don't get me wrong. I love all of those actors (Carrie is like "meh")

This was Carrie's career pre-The Matrix (she also starred in a Canadian series called, no joke, Matrix, without a "The")

Thank god Sean Connery was not Gandalf he would have been shit compared to Ian McKellen tbh.

The only scottish man in Middle Earth lmao.

Um, Pippin?

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Thank god Sean Connery was not Gandalf he would have been shit compared to Ian McKellen tbh.

The only scottish man in Middle Earth lmao.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Keanu: Estimated net worth: $350m
Will: Estimated net worth: $300m

Wow, surprised.

There's no way in hell that's accurate. Keanu's awesome, but in terms of hits he really only has Speed, The Matrix Trilogy and the 2nd John Wick movie. Will has Bad Boys, ID4, MIB, I Am Legend, Hancock and the list goes on. He also has Fresh Prince and at one point an extremely popular music career. Will was a king in Hollywood for a pretty long stretch of time. And I don't think there's anything suggesting that he burned through money like some stars have.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have to say things worked out, I couldn't really imagine Matrix without Keanu and Will had Ali and other movies after Wild Wild West.

I mean, he's better off without it anyways. Sure it's a good film but do the actors have anywhere near the career or money that Will has now?

I mean Keanu? He literally has the John Wick movies that are hits in the theaters and enjoyed by both critics and fans.

Meanwhile Will's last movie was a netflix movie (Bright) and now he's going back to make a new Bad Boys movie.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if i was will smith in the 90s (which was the cream of the cream of the crop) i probably wouldn't be sold on the concept either. even if it were pitched better i'd still be "eh, i dunno, maybe..." amidst other options

hindsight is always 20/20, you can laugh at wild west being a "good choice" but you never really know at the time

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It seems strange to us nerds but a lot of people out there just do not get fantasy/sci-fi.

Even whens its spoon fed to them like Star Wars, they still find it weird and stupid.
Yeah. Fantasy just isn't everyone's jam. My dad worked at a movie theatre when Star Wars came out in 1977 and said he hated it. The only movie he'll go out of his way to see is Creed.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way in hell that's accurate. Keanu's awesome, but in terms of hits he really only has Speed, The Matrix Trilogy and the 2nd John Wick movie. Will has Bad Boys, ID4, MIB, I Am Legend, Hancock and the list goes on. He also has Fresh Prince and at one point an extremely popular music career. Will was a king in Hollywood for a pretty long stretch of time. And I don't think there's anything suggesting that he burned through money like some stars have.

Reeves made 250M from the Matrix series alone because he had B.O. profit sharing points. Not sure if Will did that or just flat rates.