• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm sure many of you know how much I love fighting games by now (hence the SF threads as well as my involvement in fighting game threads on ResetEra). Fighting games have been a part of my life since I was a little kid, & it helped shape me into the man I am today. But as of late, I've been noticing a few things about my schedule, namely that I can't get as much lab time in as I would like for a multitude of reasons...
  • My older sister takes the TV at the most inconvenient times. As such, I can't hit the lab with, say, SFV or MvCI.
  • I have to work on homework from time-to-time, which leads to the problem above when I'm done.
  • When I meet up with the others at locals, we may not have enough set-ups & I can't fit everything in my backpack (my TE2 barely fits as it stands with how many books I carry around).
  • I'm randomly asked by my parents to go pick up food, which leads to me waiting at a store for 10 or so minutes in fear of the food getting cold by the time I get there.
  • As someone who goes to MCU & Star Wars films on opening night, it'd be nice to have instant access to the lab whenever I'm waiting to get into the theater.
  • When I'm waiting for rehearsals to start for [insert play &/or musical here], my laptop is probably dead from classes & my phone is on its last ~20% (& I need that battery in case my parents call).
And here comes the Switch, a console that you can take anywhere, that I'm finding myself using quite a bit. But as of right now, all I have are the main Nintendo games (one of which is a not-as-traditional fighting game, ARMS) & Sonic Mania. Likewise, one of the main reasons why I have a PS4 in the first place is for the fighting games found on the platform. What I'm kinda hoping for going forward is that more fighting games show up on the platform. I know we're already getting BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle & that SFV is probably never coming to the Switch (for Sony-related legal reasons, much to my disappointment). But the likes of MvCI & DBFZ (which, to be honest, I fully expect to eventually make it to the Switch), games that should hypothetically be possible on the Switch, to make their way to the platform. I'd be more than willing to double-dip for MvCI on the system, & I'd be down for waiting for DBFZ on the Switch if it came out in a timely manner (I.E. maybe a month or two after the others at worst). Hell, I had an idea about an arcade stick that can both serve as a traditional arcade stick while the Switch is docked while also having a USB-C docking port on the stick itself whenever you have to leave the house. If nothing else, it would allow me to practice in the lab more often or compete with others (plus there's always USB A-to-C adapters & the Hori Switch stand if my idea for a Switch arcade stick never comes to pass).

And just a heads up, please refrain from going to the default "LOL CAPCOM ON SWITCH" comments. I get that they've been really slow on the Switch uptake & that their PR on that front has been less-than-stellar, but it's not like they're never gonna bother with the system. This is mainly to talk about the potential of fighting games on the Switch.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I would want a Joycon D-Pad revision or an acceptable pad substitute for me personally. But ArcSys, Namco are a great start to a good fighting game future

I'd love to see SNK do more beyond ACA ports

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I would want a Joycon D-Pad revision or an acceptable pad substitute for me personally. But ArcSys, Namco are a great start to a good fighting game future

Good point, though there is the Pokkén Pro Pad available for those who want a decent d-pad for fighting games. But with that being said, I could see that being an issue whenever you're on the go.

Chris~BigK

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
I'm in the same boat. Casual or competitive, fighting games are great pick-up and play games and easy to play wherever. I love Ultra Street Fighter II, and, aside from the split d-pad, the Switch is great for fighting games in hand-held mode. I would definitely buy classics and new games -- Street Fighter III Third Strike, Vs Series games (X-men v Street Fighter to Marvel v Capcom: Infinite), Injustice 2, and others.

Let's just get a "Fighting game" or "classic gaming" -Ready Joy-Con L :)

Edit: Can't believe I forgot DBZF. I want that on Switch really bad.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed Bandai still haven't announced Dragon Ball Fighterz for Switch. It's not that I don't have other machines to play it on, but I'd really love a handheld version. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I'm more of a casual player so I don't think the D-pad will annoy me too much.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017

I'd love for SNK to release a 3rd-party joycon with a microswitched directional stick like NGPC or NGCD.

As for OP, definitely support Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and Blade Strangers when they drop on Switch. Perhaps it will influence other companies to follow.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I love fighting games, I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. I want as many as possible that are good on the console. The Switch would be the perfect platform for 90% of the fighting games released.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For one I'm glad that BB Cross Tag Battle is coming. At least we know ASW wants to support the Switch. Although we still don't know if any of their UE-based games will ever get ported over.

Not holding my breath for anything Capcom because lol Capcom.

MogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
I think as long as there's a joycon alternative with a better dpad, I'd be more into it. Really don't want to lug around a controller on top of having to find a solution to holding up the Switch if I don't have like a desk or table.

MvCI on the go would be nice though. Struggling to find lab time as it is.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
How is the HORI Switch arcade stick? I haven't heard much about it. I was waiting on that reception to decide if I get SF2 on Switch or not.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
How is the HORI Switch arcade stick? I haven't heard much about it. I was waiting on that reception to decide if I get SF2 on Switch or not.
It's basically the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai, just for the Switch. It's a solid stick, but I'm not too fond of the Hayabusa joystick. I'd personally swap the buttons & joystick out for Sanwa parts (though I am cool with the Hayabusa buttons).

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you interested only on labbing stuff? You can at least play the NeoGeo games until other fighters arrive.

But yes, more fighting games is always a good thing for every platform. Portable is great for short sessions, played a lot of Blazblue and SFIV on the go. Besides console ports of the big FG franchises, I hope Million Arthur Arcana Blood is ported to PS4/Switch in the future as SE is supporting both systems well.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Are you interested only on labbing stuff? You can at least play the NeoGeo games until other fighters arrive.

But yes, more fighting games is always a good thing for every platform. Portable is great for short sessions, played a lot of Blazblue and SFIV on the go. Besides console ports of the big FG franchises, I hope Million Arthur Arcana Blood is ported to PS4/Switch in the future as SE is supporting both systems well.
As I mentioned in the OP, I'm also interested in having an easy set-up for locals in case we don't have enough systems to go around. Maybe I could go online, but I wouldn't wish for a terrible Wi-Fi connection on my worst enemy.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Would be cool to see people waiting on EVO to play DBFZ on stage on the PS4 training their combos on the switch

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Friendly reminder that Brook makes an adapter for using Playstation controllers on Switch, so if you already have a PS3 or PS4 stick you can get one of them and be all set for any eventual fighting games on Switch.

Zebra1L

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Im no the biggest fan of fighting games.
Ive bought ARMS for 20€ but couldnt get in to it.
But i think i would love SF V or the next SF.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Friendly reminder that Brook makes an adapter for using Playstation controllers on Switch, so if you already have a PS3 or PS4 stick you can get one of them and be all set for any eventual fighting games on Switch.
Oh I'm fully aware of the Brook Adapter, I've even recommended it to some of my friends. If we do get DBFZ &/or MvCI on the Switch, I intend on getting one so I can use my TE2 on the Switch.

Im no the biggest fan of fighting games.
Ive bought ARMS for 20€ but couldnt get in to it.
But i think i would love SF V or the next SF.
Realistically, we'll probably be near the end of the Switch's life by the time SFVI rolls by (seeing as SFV support is supposed to continue until 2020). And as I already said in the OP, Sony has SFV locked down as far as consoles are concerned.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if the Switch can run most recent fighting games, but if it can, then I hope publishers port them. Maybe DBZ and MVC are too demanding, but certainly Guilty Gear Xrd can run on Switch.

Meanwhile, I'll hope for a new Sony portable that's compatible with the PS4's library. It'd be awesome to just purchase a new quality handheld and have instant access to my PS4 fighting games.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of proper d pad makes playing 2d fighters like kof and Garou a nightmare

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed Bandai still haven't announced Dragon Ball Fighterz for Switch. It's not that I don't have other machines to play it on, but I'd really love a handheld version. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I'm more of a casual player so I don't think the D-pad will annoy me too much.

Apparently it depends on how well Xenoverse 2 does.

At least we're getting BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a Switch so I don't have any stake in this but considering the amount of nostalgia players in the Switch audience, SNK has a lot to gain to put their classic fighting game into the system. I'd very much welcome any kind of Garou revival, preferably with online matchmaking.
Capcom has SF3 Online from the PS3 that could be ported, and any excuse for people to play more SF3 is good in my book.

At the end of the day, I care more about the Switch hosting classic fighting games to revive them rather than current FGs because my purchase of choice would always be PC/PS4 over a system that will most likely not benefit from cross-play.

EDIT : also mention that 99% of the playerbase would most likely play on wi-fi instead of ethernet making the experience less than desireable

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

I tried a no name one off of Amazon that works with PS4 pads, but none of my sticks. Was so bummed. Might have to pay up for the Brook. Playing USF2 with joycons is nuts and even the Pro Controller and 8itdo ones aren't quite what I want.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know if the Switch can run most recent fighting games, but if it can, then I hope publishers port them. Maybe DBZ and MVC are too demanding, but certainly Guilty Gear Xrd can run on Switch.

Meanwhile, I'll hope for a new Sony portable that's compatible with the PS4's library. It'd be awesome to just purchase a new quality handheld and have instant access to my PS4 fighting games.
MvCI & DBFZ are both UE4 games that, to my knowledge, run at 1080p/60fps on the Xbox One. Getting them down to 720p or even 900p (with possible optimizations) could theoretically be possible for a hypothetical Switch port.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With an arcade stick. But as mentioned before, the Pokkén Pro Pad exists.

Still, Nintendo needs to get on that proper D-Pad Joy-Con sooner rather than later.

But then you're not really playing a portable anymore. I mean, you'd have to set up a specific space to use the Switch, with a table and chair, which certainly betrays the purpose of wanting to play on the go.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But then you're not really playing a portable anymore. I mean, you'd have to set up a specific space to use the Switch, with a table and chair, which certainly betrays the purpose of wanting to play on the go.
Fair point. I guess I'm too used to carrying my Hori Switch Stand around (the damn thing barely fits in my case with my other stuff).

Molto

Oct 27, 2017

A joycon with the NeoGeo Pocket Color style clicky stick or the NGCD controller would be absolutely amazing.
1010754-1010754-1010754-1-0.jpg

Also, they should port all the NGPC games to the Switch while they're at it. Pocket Rumble looks great, but might as well release the OG's.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We need a spiritual successor to one of the GOAT licensed anime fighters.

latest

But really, 3D based fighters (specially like Dead or Alive. Give me a LR port with Nintendo costumes and I'm there day 1) would do great on the Switch due to their low amount of special motions and generally button mash gameplay (for the newbies at least) that would feel better on the Joycons than a full 2D game. I do feel that the second someone makes an original 3D fighter IP on the Switch that plays well with the Joycons is going to make a pretty damn good killing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people saying the Switch needs a D-pad Joy-Con to be good for fighters. And while I wouldn't mind it as an option for those who want it, I don't really think the Switch needs it for fighters. The Analog sticks of the Joy-Con have a very short travel range, so they're much closer to an arcade Joy-Stick than a traditional analog stick, thus they're better for 2D movement than a traditional one. Plus, with HD Rumble, the Joy-Con can also potentially simulate the microswitch-like tactility of an arcade joy-stick as well.

I'd argue the Switch is possibly the best platform for fighting games at the moment thanks to the Joy-Con's built-in multiplayer support, and the Switch's tabletop mode, which mimics the feeling of an arcade cabinet.

Zebra1L

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Realistically, we'll probably be near the end of the Switch's life by the time SFVI rolls by (seeing as SFV support is supposed to continue until 2020). And as I already said in the OP, Sony has SFV locked down as far as consoles are concerned.[/QUOTE]

Yeah what a shame. But you are right, i guess. Then maybe on Switch 2. Ive loved it back in the days when i was a kid to play Super Street Fighter with my brothers.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I think the portability of the Switch would do wonders to many gamers who already play these games in any other plataform, hell, I've played so many fighting games on my Vita... it would be perfect.

But, we really need an alternative for the left joycon. Yes, Pokken controllers, Arcade Sticks, ok, but we need a good way to lab theses games on the go.

Does Nintendo not allow third party joycons? At least not yet? Or it's just lack of interest from the manufacturers?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
More fighting games on Switch would be cool (although the joycons aren't ideal) but I don't think they would realistically gain any traction from the type of crowd that is hardcore into them.

Also, boy I don't identify with the need/desire to play video games all. the. time. 10 minutes waiting for food at a restaurant? Waiting at a theater? No shade, I'm just not on that level.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A lot of people saying the Switch needs a D-pad Joy-Con to be good for fighters. And while I wouldn't mind it as an option for those who want it, I don't really think the Switch needs it for fighters. The Analog sticks of the Joy-Con have a very short travel range, so they're much closer to an arcade Joy-Stick than a traditional analog stick, thus they're better for 2D movement than a traditional one. Plus, with HD Rumble, the Joy-Con can also potentially simulate the microswitch-like tactility of an arcade joy-stick as well.

I'd argue the Switch is possibly the best platform for fighting games at the moment thanks to the Joy-Con's built-in multiplayer support, and the Switch's tabletop mode, which mimics the feeling of an arcade cabinet.
It wouldn't work the exact same way since HD Rumble wouldn't necessarily limit your movement with the left stick for the sake of accuracy, it'd only give you something close to the feedback you would get from those SNK control sticks.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
More fighting games on Switch would be cool (although the joycons aren't ideal) but I don't think they would realistically gain any traction from the type of crowd that is hardcore into them.

Also, boy I don't identify with the need/desire to play video games all. the. time. 10 minutes waiting for food at a restaurant? Waiting at a theater? No shade, I'm just not on that level.
I get that the restaurant part is a first world problem, but the waiting-for-rehearsals thing is a real issue considering that my MacBook Pro is usually dead by then (& my charger has seen better days, so I can't take it out of the house).

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still disappointed Arika went for the exclusive route with their EX fighting game. Waited more than 15 years for another one in their series and it's not even coming on PC or other platforms in this day and age. :<

The Dragon Ball Fighter Z would have been cool too. I dislike the small buttons though on the Joy-cons. Playing SF 2 on it didn't feel too great.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm still disappointed Arika went for the exclusive route with their EX fighting game. Waited more than 15 years for another one in their series and it's not even coming on PC or other platforms in this day and age. :<

The Dragon Ball FighterZ would have been cool too.
As I said in the OP, I'd be genuinely surprised if we don't get DBFZ on the Switch. Though I don't really expect it on the same day as the others.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I'd double dip on DBFZ is there was a Switch port. The convince of always being able to play it would be too good to resist.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the OP, I'd be genuinely surprised if we don't get DBFZ on the Switch. Though I don't really expect it on the same day as the others.
I expect it too, with the growing popularity of the platform and they also brought Xenoverse 2 to it. I just thought it's odd why Arika doesn't bring their game to the Switch when there isn't too much competition in the fighting genre on this system. I mean, who wouldn't want to play with some crazy, but niche characters like