• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason they're not is those who are interested in fighting games, some have a PC, most have a PS4. Few have Switches.

BBXT will work on Switch because it has a strong non-FGC appeal with the Persona and especially RWBY characters.

The only reason I don't own a PS4 and went PC only was because of the junk fee for online play. While PC tends to have lower userbases, I think they disproportionately are online warriors more.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The reason they're not is those who are interested in fighting games, some have a PC, most have a PS4. Few have Switches.

BBXT will work on Switch because it has a strong non-FGC appeal with the Persona and especially RWBY characters.

The only reason I don't own a PS4 and went PC only was because of the junk fee for online play. While PC tends to have lower userbases, I think they disproportionately are online warriors more.
Wouldn't DBFZ also fall into that strong non-FGC appeal category?

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't work the exact same way since HD Rumble wouldn't necessarily limit your movement with the left stick for the sake of accuracy, it'd only give you something close to the feedback you would get from those SNK control sticks.

Well yeah, it wouldn't beat the accuracy of a real arcade stick, but it be better than playing with a regular full size analog stick without the same feedback.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Err since when has this been true. USF2 sold shipped 450 k probably more by now, Pokken will be in the same range if not higher. The SNk games have sold a few 100k (though that's obviously not all fighting games). Obviously arms is a bit different but it still sold over a million. This all earlier into the switches lifespan. Core or not I can't imagine this is much if at all different to the PS4 at this point in it's lifespan.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Err since when has this been true. USF2 sold shipped 450 k probably more by now, Pokken will be in the same range if not higher. The SNk games have sold a few 100k (though that's obviously not all fighting games). Obviously arms is a bit different but it still sold over a million. This all earlier into the switches lifespan. Core or not I can't imagine this is much if at all different to the PS4 at this point in it's lifespan.
Also, didn't the likes of SFV being PS4-only on top of PS4 being the leading platform help result in most of the FGC going to PS4?

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
Came in expecting to read "two joycons on one console". It's not the best way to play, but it works in a pinch. And there's no better way to introduce someone to the console than to break of a piece and give an acquaintance or stranger a fully functional, standalone controller.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Aye aye, but fighting games have small communities and are a genre that's not easy getting into.
I love my fighting games, and fortunately the PS4 has a nice library of those games but the current joycon is far from ideal on the Switch.
Also, handheld mode is great but wireless connectivity might not be ideal for a lot of gamers looking to minimize lag.

I really wish I could play all my games on the Switch though, it's so convenient.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tried a no name one off of Amazon that works with PS4 pads, but none of my sticks. Was so bummed. Might have to pay up for the Brook. Playing USF2 with joycons is nuts and even the Pro Controller and 8itdo ones aren't quite what I want.

I can confirm that the Brook adapter works with my first gen TE, and my HRAP V4 Hayabusa.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A fighting game being on switch is an immediate plus. I wouldnt buy stuff like Blazblue Cross Tag Battle if it wasnt on the switch.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
BB Cross Tag and DBZF are coming. (probably)

Maybe we'll get more after, with more niche titles like Pocet fighters (and a few smash games and smash clones depending on your definition of a fighting game)

I do wonder if bigger name games will come though. I imagine some will be worried about latency or controller issue.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the latency and wireless issues are a big reason for FGC types to not get their fighters on the Switch. Wireless is really bad for fighters. Wireless usage is bad enough on PS4 (why PC often has stronger online communities than their volume of sales would show)

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Where the fuck is Pocket Rumble
It's been "almost done with certification" for the past six months.

But yes, I would love more fighters on Switch. Nintendo portables have always gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to fighters for whatever reason, and it would be great to practice combos on the go. Pokken is great, but I'm hoping for more.

Also re: Arika's game, I think it just comes down to the fact that they probably don't have money to port it anywhere else, since this its being made entirely in-house and they've admitted they don't have a huge budget for it since it's basically just a labor of love.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the latency and wireless issues are a big reason for FGC types to not get their fighters on the Switch. Wireless is really bad for fighters. Wireless usage is bad enough on PS4 (why PC often has stronger online communities than their volume of sales would show)

The Switch supports wired controllers just as well as the PS4. Your argument doesn't make sense.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get a Vita if you want fighting games on a portable platform. The dpad is an added bonus.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
BB Cross Tag and DBZF are coming. (probably)

Maybe we'll get more after, with more niche titles like Pocet fighters (and a few smash games and smash clones depending on your definition of a fighting game)

I do wonder if bigger name games will come though. I imagine some will be worried about latency or controller issue.
Isn't the Switch better optimized for UE4 due to Nvidia making the chipset?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Ultra Street Fighter II was such a disappointment. It's so close to being a really awesome port, but Capcom had the nonsense idea of removing features from HD Remix and adding boss characters that you can't disable online.

Really not a huge issue. Most FGC types would use a direct connection anyway. Just look at Smash Wii U and how competitive players play online, the majority definitely went out and bought ethernet adapters. It's also tolerable to have some wireless users if the netcode is good (GGPO or similar).

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'd love a Bloody Roar. Long time no see !
But I fear about controllers. I didn't enjoy it on SF2, even with pro controller. I guess I'll pass on fighting games on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Port begging refers to derailing a thread, it does not apply to threads where it is the actual subject of discussion.
oh alright, I guess he good. In that case I think the default would need to be better because it looks like the Switch has buttons for the directions which seems weird so if you want to play fighting games you would need the Pro controller or a stick if they make sticks for the Switch.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
oh alright, I guess he good. In that case I think the default would need to be better because it looks like the Switch has buttons for the directions which seems weird so if you want to play fighting games you would need the Pro controller or a stick if they make sticks for the Switch.
Pokken controller, Brooks adapter for sticks/pads, and the Hori arcade stick are all options that are already available.

Pro controller is a bit iffy since the D-Pad is hit or miss, some have good D-Pads, others don't. But I usually use the analog stick if I do use a pad (mostly a stick player).

But then you're not really playing a portable anymore. I mean, you'd have to set up a specific space to use the Switch, with a table and chair, which certainly betrays the purpose of wanting to play on the go.
Still very beneficial though. I'd love to say, bring MvCI on the Switch to tourneys so I can practice in the corner without having to drag around a monitor and a console along with my stick. I used to use my Vita for practicing TAC input timings while waiting for my match in UMvC3 too.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You do realize that wired arcade sticks & fight pads are a thing for the Switch, right?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'd love a Bloody Roar. Long time no see !
Ditto.

I'm sure 8ing would love to go back to it, too. But that is yet another Hudson property that got rolled into the house of Konami.

Anyway...definitely count me in. I'll be buying Switch versions of fighters whenever I get the chance, simply for the reasons stated above. Just give me a left Joycon with an actual dpad (or better, click stick as suggested above)!

Oct 27, 2017
Well Blade Strangers is coming early next year, it got a test release in Japanese arcades recently. I know Ono has said he'd like to make a Nintendo vs. Capcom fighting game. Capcom has the talent, Nintendo has the money. Not saying it'll happen, but it could. Would be really cool.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I legit would buy a copy of DBFZ, Tekken, and MvCI on the Switch for portable practice. It'll look hilarious with my stick being larger than the console but I'd still go all in if the ports were gameplay perfect. I'd actually consider modding my stick to put a battery charger and a mount in my stick for maximum shenanigans.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Without any good D-pads the only fighters I could play are Smash and Rivals of Aether.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I really want Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch. Hell, more often than not, it's starting to seem that the switch supports more controllers, or as about as many, as the other mainstream consoles. There's an arcade stick, hoping for a Hori Fight Commander soon, so really I'm good to go. Literally, was thinking about a Portable Marvel vs Capcom Infinite the other day, I put a ton of time on the vita game, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

mvci-switch.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Without any good D-pads the only fighters I could play are Smash and Rivals of Aether.

The switch as a crap ton of after market controllers right now. I'm sure more would be on the way.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Street Fighter II was such a disappointment. It's so close to being a really awesome port, but Capcom had the nonsense idea of removing features from HD Remix and adding boss characters that you can't disable online.

Really not a huge issue. Most FGC types would use a direct connection anyway. Just look at Smash Wii U and how competitive players play online, the majority definitely went out and bought ethernet adapters. It's also tolerable to have some wireless users if the netcode is good (GGPO or similar).

FGC types would, but non-FGC types wouldn't, and most FGC types already have a PC or pay for PS4. Also most fighting games don't use GGPO unfortunately. Arcsys games are still last-gen in terms of their netcode.

The big advantage the Switch would have is the wireless nature of it. Could be useful while waiting at a tourney- I could see it being adopted that way.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I really want Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch. Hell, more often than not, it's starting to seem that the switch supports more controllers, or as about as many, as the other mainstream consoles. There's an arcade stick, hoping for a Hori Fight Commander soon, so really I'm good to go. Literally, was thinking about a Portable Marvel vs Capcom Infinite the other day, I put a ton of time on the vita game, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

mvci-switch.png

maxresdefault.jpg

The switch as a crap ton of after market controllers right now. I'm sure more would be on the way.
Oh yeah, UMvC3 on the Vita was actually a damn good port. I'm surprised that the PS4/XB1/Steam port never got its replay mode or hitbox viewer (at least MvCI got the former).

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is great for non-traditional fighters like Pokken, ARMS, and eventually Smash. I'd love to see more things along those lines. I don't really see myself getting many "normal" fighters on it, mainly because of the controls. Both official controllers are terrible for fighters.

The portability thing is huge, though. If I end up getting one of those Mayflash adapters, that might make it more worthwhile to have for local MP. It's super easy to move a switch around, obviously.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Oh yeah, UMvC3 on the Vita was actually a damn good port. I'm surprised that the PS4/XB1/Steam port never got its replay mode or hitbox viewer (at least MvCI got the former).

I put a great deal of hours into the game. I actually got good at resets because of the autoblock feature touch pad players had.
Last gen was amazing for handheld fighters, in my opinion... Between the vita and 3ds...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Me too but honestly I don't want (personally) touch of death air dash anime fighters :( I want Tekken, SF, KOF, etc.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I put a great deal of hours into the game. I actually got good at resets because of the autoblock feature touch pad players had.
Last gen was amazing for handheld fighters, in my opinion... Between the vita and 3ds...
I'd be totally down for a late port of MvCI on the Switch. Maybe throw in the Season 1 DLC characters for the Switch version, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for that (if the Switch ever ends up getting the game). As I said in the OP, I could use the extra lab time.

Me too but honestly I don't want (personally) touch of death air dash anime fighters :( I want Tekken, SF, KOF, etc.
  • Tekken 7 can't even hit 1080p on the base PS4.
  • SFV & KoFXIV are PS4 console exclusives.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Neoxon I don't need the newest games, necessarily. Also they can always make custom versions as it was the norm before handhelds reached relative parity with home consoles, Game Boy had Samurai Shodown, Killer Instinct, World Heroes, Battle Arena Toshinden, etc.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry about the bump, but AlecKoKuTan made this in the MvC Discord, & it kinda illustrates why Mahvel on the Switch would be perfect for mobile lab time compared to the existing alternatives. The same logic would apply to DBFZ or basically any other fighting game that could feasibly/legally get on the Switch.

mvci-portable-options.png

Last edited:

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Ima put a Brook Universal Fighting Board in my HORI PS3 arcade stick soonish so yes more fighting games are very welcome.

Especially DBFZ

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ima put a Brook Universal Fighting Board in my HORI PS3 arcade stick soonish so yes more fighting games are very welcome.

Especially DBFZ
Do they make PS3-to-Switch adapters? I know there's a PS4-to-Switch adapter, but one for PS3-to-Switch would be perfect for my Eightarc Onyx.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Looking forward to getting BB Crosstag for Switch.

But yeah like the guy on first page says- I'd really, really welcome a more casual 3d fighter. I get tired of trying to keep up and lab on these hardcore 2d fighters. I got family, job, kids, etc just no time to git gud. Just want to hop online & mash some buttons. So hoping for more casual 3d arenas

edit- oh yeah eventually we'll get Smash (hopefully) which will hit my spot

Last edited: