• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Days Gone just looks boring overall. RE2R is a remake of a classic and also one of the best games of 2019.

Yeah this is it really, summed up better than what I said. Since I posted I think people are examining far too much what is/isn't derivative as far as zombie games are concerned when that is missing the forest for the trees in my opinion. We won't know for sure until the end of this week obviously but DG has looked mediocre at least more than RE2 looked before its launch and indeed RE2 was far from mediocre.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Yeah this is it really, summed up better than what I said. Since I posted I think people are examining far too much what is/isn't derivative as far as zombie games are concerned when that is missing the forest for the trees in my opinion. We won't know for sure until the end of this week obviously but DG has looked mediocre at least more than RE2 looked before its launch and indeed RE2 was far from mediocre.

Missing the forest would be ignoring that DG has quite a few different enemies, not only hordes, that interact witch each other that can be used to your advantage, that there are different weapons also to give you options. It also seems to have weather affect gameplay, what you or enemies can do.
Everything oriented to have options in gameplay.
It is like saying botw is mediocre because it has you standard white blonde guy on a horse, your generic forest, desert, mountain locations, and not exactly advanced combat.

However i understand people are waiting for execution, once the game releases, if those premises are well done and offer a compelling game. But that is one thing, and the downplaying is another one

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was the last big budget survival horror game prior to Resident Evil 7? Survival horror gets a lot of play in the indie scene with stuff like Lost in Vivo but in the AAA sphere it doesn't get nearly as much push. There's The Last of Us and The Evil Within and that's kinda it? Where as story based crafting open world exploration games are far more numerous are far more common, even if they don't usually feature seas of zombies.
Dead Space 1 and 2. You've already named TEW1 and TEW2 as well as TLoU. Where are all these open world games that follow the formula that you're referring to? I can think of Horizon and Days Gone. Can think of many more that fit that framework, maybe now Assassin's Creed an FarCry but I'm not sure if those are ones that fit the framework but rather feature some elements.
Because it's not true. RE2 remake is the first actual survivor horror game with over the shoulder perspective in the series. It's the first game where item management was meaningful outside of the classic ones.

It's the game that survivor horror fans needed since like 2003. One can argue that RE7 did something similar but it's easily not the same gameplay philosophy.

Thanks to RE2, the industry are now looking to a bigger based survival horror experience like something feasible.

About Days Gone, i have no opinions. I'd rather play it before doing any judgement.
Does Dead Space 1+2, RE4+5+REV1&2, TEW1+2, and TLoU not exist? RE2 is not what I would consider a pure horror game, Alien or Outlast are much purer in that sense. RE2 is more of an action survival game with horror elements. Just my opinion though.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As I said in my post, I think any zombie in most of these games would pose a tangible threat if it was that close to you in a super tight corridor.
Not in the way they pose a threat in Remake. There's a very tangible threat to the zombies in REmake because unlike a lot of other games, you can't fall back on versatile melee weapons or in the case of the last of us, your fists depending on the type of zombie. Days Gone for example, relies on a hoard system, single enemy damage is lower by default.

Missing the forest would be ignoring that DG has quite a few different enemies, not only hordes, that interact witch each other that can be used to your advantage, that there are different weapons also to give you options. It also seems to have weather affect gameplay, what you or enemies can do.
Everything oriented to have options in gameplay.
These are incredibly commonplace elements in open world games these days, so much so that an open world game without these kinds of elements sticks out and feels kinda behind the times.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think it's so easy to overlook what REmake 2 did for the "zombie outbreak" premise after its release, but i still can feel the energetic burst of enthusiasm whenever they showed the game for the first few times.

The truth is: Zombies haven't been scary for quite a while now.

If a content creator tries to make them menacing, it usually goes against the classic premise of "how can you kill what's already dead", with slow, decomposing and unstopabble undead creatures. It's more about extremely violent, more intelligent, capable and the "strong in hordes" archetype for the modern take of actual zombies.

The 2019's interpretation of this classic and simply, overused, trope was nothing nothing short of brilliance.

I've said this before, but while i do prefer the original REmake over the second game (for very specific and different reasons), i wouldn't think twice before saying that this new version of RE2 is the best zombie title ever made, in the sense that it has by far the very best portrayal of the classic "living dead" without hesitation.

Just considering the amount of attention to detail in their models, care and complexity within the animation work, all the satisfying feedback with the cutting edge real-time damage system, the noises they make, how they play dead and won't stop even without several limbs, just wow. They simply made the slow and usually badly used concept of zombies the most unique, and refreshing part of the game, that's kinda nuts. To consider that the classic undead trope can be scary again, it's goddamn impressive.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
For me its the variation in the enemy design even with it being a remake. Like look at Mr.X next to the licker or next to Birkin, there is just more interesting designs that are not considered zombies at that point in comparison with what ive seen of Daysgone (and no an infected bear is not interesting).

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Not in the way they pose a threat in Remake. There's a very tangible threat to the zombies in REmake because unlike a lot of other games, you can't fall back on versatile melee weapons or in the case of the last of us, your fists depending on the type of zombie. Days Gone for example, relies on a hoard system, single enemy damage is lower by default.

These are incredibly commonplace elements in open world games these days, so much so that an open world game without these kinds of elements sticks out and feels kinda behind the times.
Not always, and even less well executed that is meaningful to have different gameplay approaches.
Having weather impact, weapons, enemy behaviour and different types, and make all those things interact is not that common, but isolated usually.

Don't know if DG will succeed there, but i think that is what they are trying to do, a more organic openworld. We will see.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Resident Evil IS an established IP that has pushed the envelope forward several times.

It doesn't get to be judged by the same standards as another new and unproven IP.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they are almost completely different game genres. The market is flooded with open world action games and a lot of them feature zombies. Yes, Days Gone is a bit different from the open-world multiplayer zombie survival games, but it shares a lot of similarities with them.

Comparatively there are very few games like Resident Evil and there hasn't been a game in the style of Resident Evil 2 in a long time therefore it's a fresher experience to players, despite being a remake.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Dead Space 1 and 2. You've already named TEW1 and TEW2 as well as TLoU. Where are all these open world games that follow the formula that you're referring to? I can think of Horizon and Days Gone. Can think of many more that fit that framework, maybe now Assassin's Creed an FarCry but I'm not sure if those are ones that fit the framework but rather feature some elements.

Does Dead Space 1+2, RE4+5+REV1&2, TEW1+2, and TLoU not exist? RE2 is not what I would consider a pure horror game, Alien or Outlast are much purer in that sense. RE2 is more of an action survival game with horror elements. Just my opinion though.

Didn't played the TEW games, but anything else listed is completely different of the classic RE notion of survival horror's item management + level design + puzzles.

I wouldn't say classic REs or RE2 remake are pure horror either, and i agree that Alien or Outlast do this pure horror job better. That's the thing, the classic survival horror Capcom style are not exactly horror, it's another league entirely, and RE2 remake was the first game in almost 2 decades to nail this design notion and even improve it in some areas. RE7 had some of it but doesn't even compare.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 is a remake of a loved game, it doesn't come as tired because it has the benefit of being a re-imagining of a game from an era where the genre was new.

Days Gone from afar looks like a knockoff of Last of us that is coming shortly before the actual sequel to The last of Us comes out, so from a general audience people look at it and go "why would i get this when TLOU 2 i coming soon?"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
dont ppl say Days gone looks like a tired open world game, the zombie part isnt necessarely the problem no?

Scipio

Apr 18, 2019
This "zombie games are played out" thing is just a bubble. People out there still love it.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have days gone pre ordered due to a massive sale, so I will play it.

But I must say, absolutely everything about it is looking dow right copy and paste. It seems there is no creativity in any of its artstyle or characters.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I'm actually more interested in why are there people trying to convince this forums that Days Gone will be a thing.

Like, we (in a huge generalization) love Platinum games and mock Ubisoft open world games to the point of both things being almost a meme. Platinum games don't sell at all and Ubisoft games sell millions without effort; I think it's pretty much established that we aren't the audience for games like Days Gone yet for some reason some people feel appalled by that.

The game will sell like pancakes when it's released, just don't expect high praise for it here.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
oh don't get me wrong, I expect Days Gone to do really well. I'm just not interested in it.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm actually more interested in why are there people trying to convince this forums that Days Gone will be a thing.

Like, we (in a huge generalization) love Platinum games and mock Ubisoft open world games to the point of both things being almost a meme. Platinum games don't sell at all and Ubisoft games sell millions without effort; I think it's pretty much established that we aren't the audience for games like Days Gone yet for some reason some people feel appalled by that.

The game will sell like pancakes when it's released, just don't expect high praise for it here.
Maybe you should respect that people in this place may like Ubi games , and praise them,and dislike Platinum or From games. Also Nintendo games sell millions without effort and are well received here, so it is nothing impossible.
I'm fact you don't need to mock a game you don't like. Is quite embarrassing really.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I really dont get it. I understand that zombies are pretty played out in pop culture but before resident evil 2 I cant even remember the last game I played that had zombies in it. I guess MGS 5 sort of counts.

Scipio

Apr 18, 2019
I dont think anyone thought that this AAA Sony game wasnt going to sell well, its just not a very interesting idea regardless of sales.
This still proves that such "lack of interest" thing in zombie games is just a bubble (and this is the point of the thread, not the quality of the game)

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed, be aware that people have different opinions and some of us don't wanna participate in viral marketing stuff like changing icons or spamming simply because some games are not for everybody.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Days Gone also had a super bizarre reveal where the trailer was split into two halves at e3 2016 where half of it played mid way through the press conference and the other half played at the end. IIRC the rumor was RDR2 was supposed to be revealed but got pulled last minute due to a real life tragedy that had just happened. True or not it being the "final surprise" at that years e3 press conference probably further soured people on the game.
Wow, one of the most bizarre thing i heard this year. I also think that the reveal kinda tried to surf on the last of us peak, and some of the audience where turned off by that.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I like my zombies slow and sparse in games, that's why i prefer old Resident Evil style of horror. Nothing against Days Gone, i might check it out if the reviews are good.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
There was a bunch of people who hated on Nintendo daring to release multiple 2D platformers on 3DS and Wii U even though I played half of these and found them different. And even I thought some were not worth checking out.

I think DG is my equivalent of perception of Chibi-Robo Zip Lash by someone who hates platformers, though more on thematic level. There's a big bunch of zombie games, it's safe to say each one has its own gimmicks. DG's only unique selling point is, from what I gather, systems interactions, which doesn't sound easy to make fun. RE2 remake is based on something people already liked, even if I did not, so I can see its point already.

Speaking of points:

This still proves that such "lack of interest" thing in zombie games is just a bubble (and this is the point of the thread, not the quality of the game)

Incorrect. It was pointed multiple out it's a bubble, but the point of the thread seems to be its internal mechanics, not its reach.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, one of the most bizarre thing i heard this year. I also think that the reveal kinda tried to surf on the last of us peak, and some of the audience where turned off by that.
How so? TLoU2 hadn't even been announced by the team Days Gone was revealed and TLoU itself had been released years prior, even including the Remaster. This theory doesn't really add up.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Resident Evil 2 was a breath of fresh air after getting so used to being a one man zombie slaying machine. Low Health, Low Ammo, and no guarantee you'll get lucky and kill your enemies. Those types of games are rare nowadays.

I don't know enough about Days Gone but from what I've seen just the sheer numbers of enemies the game will be much more predicable with how it handles and that's not as exciting.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't nostalgia for me, because I never played RE2 on PS1 back in the day. RE2 is everything I wanted from it. Scary, tense, slow, very limited item management, linear, brilliant interconnected level design, boss fights and fun gunplay in my eyes.

Days gone just makes me want to sleep. the boring looking open world, the boring looking protagonist, crafting etc. The horde system doesn't do anything for me.

Scipio

Apr 18, 2019
There was a bunch of people who hated on Nintendo daring to release multiple 2D platformers on 3DS and Wii U even though I played half of these and found them different. And even I thought some were not worth checking out.

I think DG is my equivalent of perception of Chibi-Robo Zip Lash by someone who hates platformers, though more on thematic level. There's a big bunch of zombie games, it's safe to say each one has its own gimmicks. DG's only unique selling point is, from what I gather, systems interactions, which doesn't sound easy to make fun. RE2 remake is based on something people already liked, even if I did not, so I can see its point already.

Speaking of points:

Incorrect. It was pointed multiple out it's a bubble, but the point of the thread seems to be its internal mechanics, not its reach.
Well, Robin said that explicitly

Edit: I'm talking about "zombie games are played out" thing

You don't have to look too hard to hear people pipping up about their lack of interest in Days Gone, how zombie games are played out and that it's a tired trope at this point

Last edited:

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought the RE2 new one was a tired premise as well.just done with zombies and post apocalyptic settings. Give me new ideas and lesser used settings.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The issue with Days Gone isn't that the gameplay looks derivative, it's that it looks bland and derivative. Nothing about it looks exciting or solid.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Is there any game, not an RTS, that's accomplishing what Days gone is doing with crowd/horde AI?

Last edited:

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Because it's an exclusive.

State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall 1 suffered a lot of unfair criticism as well, the only difference is that they were for Xbox.

There is obviously some advantages to being exclusive. One of the disadvantages is that people usually are considerably more harsh on their criticism when your game is in a platform that they aren't engaged or don't even own.

Oct 25, 2017
At then end of the day, I think people are often not good at explaining themselves, or just don't feel like elaborating on things or thinking about them hard enough to explain themselves.

What I mean is, clearly the "zombie" part, on its own, isn't an issue. RE2 gets praised a lot, and so does the last of us. And people are super excited for the last of us 2. Despite people complaining about zombie fatigue, that's not really what it's about and never has been. It's always just about what you do with the zombies. It's all about context. Always is. Imagine if, for whatever crazy reason, the next 3D Mario game was themed around zombies. Now obviously that isn't going to happen, but if it did, do you think people would have "zombie fatigue" with that? Unlikely given the context of it would be so weird and different from anything we've seen from both Mario and zombie fiction. It would essentially become original by putting two relatively unoriginal concepts together.

Now, sure, they may be some people out there that truly are over zombies and will never enjoy another piece of zombie fiction again, but it's gonna be very rare and very unlikely. If you've ever enjoyed something that had zombies in it, odds are you can do it again given the right context.

So the context of Days Gone is that it just looks generic for some people. It uses its zombies in a specific way that is well trodden, its gameplay and world design are following modern trends, and it looks similar to other zombie fiction aesthetically as well. RE2 didn't have those issues. It just had some zombies in it, but everything else is relatively unique for how games often work these days. It's world/level design isn't something we see as much of now as we used to, its tone was a combination of scary and campy, and the zombies themselves work quite differently to a lot of what we see these days.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
just watch the 10 minutes e3 2017 trailer of days gone and you can see 2 unique things that you can't do or can't see in most if not all the other open world games, and that's just one trailer, the talks about re2 being more innovative then days gone or days gone being yet another open world games without anything new is just plain false or spread by people that where never really interested in the title from the beginning.

tell me another 5 open world games were enemies kill each other for self-preservation or when you can weaponize an horde of enemies against other enemies and we can have a constructive discussion...

the entire eco-system with all the variables is more than enough for days gone to says something new in the genre. (if all this system are gonna work well together)

(sorry for my english)

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Honestly? Because it's an exclusive.

State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall 1 suffered a lot of unfair criticism as well, the only difference is that they were for Xbox.

There is obviously some advantages to being exclusive. One of the disadvantages is that people usually are considerably more harsh on their criticism when your game is in a platform that they aren't engaged or don't even own.

That has nothing to do with it.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

Fanboys mostly, for some reason people forget that this is a niche site and its ok to not like the latest AAA game. Like days gone looks like a solid 75-80 meta game, but it's not really doing anything special.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Days gone just makes me want to sleep. the boring looking open world, the boring looking protagonist, crafting etc. The horde system doesn't do anything for me.
So you think the Pacific Northwest is a boring looking region of the world? It's got to be ones of the most naturally beautiful parts of the world, and it's barely ever been touched on in games which means that it has the kind of world that should be fresh to players. I would love to know what you think of normal everyday people if you think an out-of-the-ordinary person like Deacon St. John looks boring. Joel from The Last of Us looks more ordinary and uninspired in his design than Days Gone's protagonist, and nobody gives a shit about that as a reason to dismiss the game, and same goes for the crafting.

I'm guessing the takeaway from your comment is, don't aim for realism. Realism is boring.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
So you think the Pacific Northwest is a boring looking region of the world? It's got to be ones of the most naturally beautiful parts of the world, and it's barely ever been touched on in games which means that it has the kind of world that should be fresh to players. I would love to know what you think of normal everyday people if you think an out-of-the-ordinary person like Deacon St. John looks boring. Joel from The Last of Us looks more ordinary and uninspired in his design than Days Gone's protagonist, and nobody gives a shit about that as a reason to dismiss the game, and same goes for the crafting.

I'm guessing the takeaway from your comment is, don't aim for realism. Realism is boring.
Well why do you think people may not like days gone but are interested in/like last of us 1/2?

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Well why do you think people may not like days gone but are interested in/like last of us 1/2?

people were crying about zombies being played out before TLOU came out. and they were crying about 'narrative' 'cinematic' games and they were crying about sony games, they've always been crying and to say that they weren't is rewriting history.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The difference is that DG has mostly just looked incredibly generic or devoid of an interesting personality. Sony Bend has made some great games so if I see some good reviews from reviewers I like I'll give it a shot but I haven't seen anything from this game that has made me want to play it at all. It has many apparent inspirations but none of them seem to be anything I'm interested in. It may be more original than RE2 but it's also just not as interesting (at least for me).

Having said that, comparing DG to RE2 seems unfair for DG as I'm of the opinion that an open world game like DG will never have the personality and atmosphere of a linear game like RE2. I'm not even an open world game hater but I just think that's an inherent truth because of the way games are made. Damn near every moment of RE2 remake just oozes personality and atmosphere to a degree that I don't know I've ever seen from an open world game.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
people were crying about zombies being played out before TLOU came out. and they were crying about 'narrative' 'cinematic' games and they were crying about sony games, they've always been crying and to say that they weren't is rewriting history.
Who are "people", and why are putting putting words in my mouth.....hell what are you talking about.