• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I find it interesting.

Anyway, TIL is Today I Learned, one of Gamespot's 'sister' pages on Facebook which has 1.4 million followers.

The video is quite old, posted on 8 February.
https://www.facebook.com/GameSpotTIL/videos/10160179276255436/
The World Health Organization plans to add "gaming disorder" in its list of mental health conditions.
More info here: http://bit.ly/2lHESAe

It has been viewed 2.4 million times by now. I saw it on my feeds, shared by my non-gaming relative.

Thoughts?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Maybe the author sees Nintendo as synonymous with gaming?... I dunno... I would consider that a compliment.

Either way, if the point of your thread is to defend Nintendo or expose the platform bias of the author, then i think that's a little petty, tbh.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one seems to agree there. Just ended up as free advertising for Nintendo lol

Though as for why they used the Switch there specifically, they're trying to say people are outside gaming instead of doing important stuff? I dunno.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
OP, you should not be this emotionally invested in Nintendo. That is the only thing I am seeing from this topic

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a big deal. You're reading too much into it. Switch is just the hot thing right now, so it helps get views.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Because it is the latest and hottest console to have been released? Why don't you tell us how you really feel OP?

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Because it's a newer console that is emblematic of the current generation of Nintendo, and therefore popular gaming culture.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Images of a "recently" released console will drive more clicks?
The Switch is the one that has the most recent ad footage of "people playing" which is still fresh in people's mind, so they strike the iron while it's hot.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No one seems to agree there. Just ended up as free advertising for Nintendo lol

Though as for why they used the Switch there specifically, they're trying to say people are outside gaming instead of doing important stuff? I dunno.
Huh, you're right. Tbh, I haven't read the comments section.

Because it is the latest and hottest console to have been released? Why don't you tell us how you really feel OP?
I don't get what you're saying here.

Images of a "recently" released console will drive more clicks?
The Switch is the one that has the most recent ad footage of "people playing" which is still fresh in people's mind, so they strike the iron while it's hot.
You can use the Switch as the thumbnail, sure. But you can still use the other gaming platform in the actual video.

Something like 33% Switch, 33% PS4, 33% Xbox.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Maybe all they could get hold of was a switch since the employees can't bring their other consoles to work :p

What about PC/3ds/mobile etc.

In any case, i think it's just because the Switch is hot right now and when you make a news story like that you take the latest and hottest just to get more clicks.

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
A bit ironic that they're using Nintendo... it's one of the gaming platforms least focused on addictive microtransaction behaviors (think gachas and loot boxes), which is the more harmful component of gaming...

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Maybe the author sees Nintendo as synonymous with gaming?... I dunno... I would consider that a compliment.

Either way, if the point of your thread is to defend Nintendo or expose the platform bias of the author, then i think that's a little petty, tbh.

What about PC/3ds/mobile etc.

In any case, i think it's just because the Switch is hot right now and when you make a news story like that you take the latest and hottest just to get more clicks.
All I'm saying that it's a tricky video.

It could lead to people bad judgment towards the Switch as an 'evil' gadget.
But as others said, it could also lead to a free advertisement for the Switch.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I were to make a video like this, I'd likely include shots from just about any major console, not only the ones currently available but also a lot of others that are recognizeable to the general public: Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1, NES, and so on. That's just me though.

Anyway, I don't think it was a malicious choice per se, probably more of a "everybody is talking about the Switch so it's probably the best way to get attention" situation. I don't think it'll sway people too much on the issue in favor of Xbox or PlayStation, and as such I see these scenarios basically:
1) The person watching is already "against videogames" because they can cause addiction. Well, not including other videogame consoles will not suddenly make this person think "oh well, Switch is literally cancer for my kids so I'll buy an Xbox instead".
2) The person watching does not believe that videogames are harmful (not to him/her or the people around him/her anyway). Such a video will mosty certainly not sway their opinion simply because of an editing choice.
3) The person watching is neutral/ignorant about this issue. I guess subconsciously people could see that Nintendo Switch is connected to something "negative", but if the video sways you into thinking that videogames are bad, as per point #1, I don't think this person would then run out and buy a PlayStation because that one wasn't featured here.

The only scenario I can legit see as bothersome is if the person watching this video learns that gaming can be a dangerous addiction, maybe they'll still buy a console to themselves or kids or whatnot, but will want to control usage if talking about a kid. Anecdotal, but I've seen people reason like that: undecided whether to buy a new Switch or an Xbox One/PS4, opted for the second not only because it's cheaper, but because they wouldn't let their kids bring the Switch outside of the house anyway. So if you're worried that your kid may not give enough attention at school, it's a possibility you may not wanna buy them a 3DS/Switch since they could theoretically play at school with them. And such a video heavily showcasing a Switch to prove an addiction point could help solidifying that point. Other than that, I don't see potential effects.

Anyhow, I'm sure I've spent more time thinking about this and articulating this message than the authors did when they decided to include the Switch in the video.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I'm saying that it's a tricky video.

It could lead to people bad judgment towards the Switch as an 'evil' gadget.
But as others said, it could also lead to a free advertisement for the Switch.
they should have listed down every console with its evil power level .
too bad they didn't. now ill have to destroy my switch.

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
Seem super low effort. I mean it's just the switch trailer with some scrolling words underneath,

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If I were to make a video like this, I'd likely include shots from just about any major console, not only the ones currently available but also a lot of others that are recognizeable to the general public: Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1, NES, and so on. That's just me though.

Anyway, I don't think it was a malicious choice per se, probably more of a "everybody is talking about the Switch so it's probably the best way to get attention" situation. I don't think it'll sway people too much on the issue in favor of Xbox or PlayStation, and as such I see these scenarios basically:
1) The person watching is already "against videogames" because they can cause addiction. Well, not including other videogame consoles will not suddenly make this person think "oh well, Switch is literally cancer for my kids so I'll buy an Xbox instead".
2) The person watching does not believe that videogames are harmful (not to him/her or the people around him/her anyway). Such a video will mosty certainly not sway their opinion simply because of an editing choice.
3) The person watching is neutral/ignorant about this issue. I guess subconsciously people could see that Nintendo Switch is connected to something "negative", but if the video sways you into thinking that videogames are bad, as per point #1, I don't think this person would then run out and buy a PlayStation because that one wasn't featured here.

The only scenario I can legit see as bothersome is if the person watching this video learns that gaming can be a dangerous addiction, maybe they'll still buy a console to themselves or kids or whatnot, but will want to control usage if talking about a kid. Anecdotal, but I've seen people reason like that: undecided whether to buy a new Switch or an Xbox One/PS4, opted for the second not only because it's cheaper, but because they wouldn't let their kids bring the Switch outside of the house anyway. So if you're worried that your kid may not give enough attention at school, it's a possibility you may not wanna buy them a 3DS/Switch since they could theoretically play at school with them. And such a video heavily showcasing a Switch to prove an addiction point could help solidifying that point. Other than that, I don't see potential effects.

Anyhow, I'm sure I've spent more time thinking about this and articulating this message than the authors did when they decided to include the Switch in the video.
Thank you very much. This is the sort of response I was expecting. And you're probably right, maybe it's simply just a low effort from them as said below.

Seem super low effort. I mean it's just the switch trailer with some scrolling words underneath,
I'm aware that it's a Switch trailer but I didn't realize that it's all coming from one trailer. I thought it's a compilation of Switch trailers.

I guess this is the real answer. It's just a low effort content. The authors didn't really put much thought into it.

Oct 26, 2017
You can use the Switch as the thumbnail, sure. But you can still use the other gaming platform in the actual video.

But no-one really cares, it's just an entertainment product. Having every console and gaming platform featuring in the video would add nothing as it doesn't add to the point of the video. When I see posts and threads like this, it seems to me that people seem to think of these products as some sort of religion. Any unequal coverage is often seen as a personal attack.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
But no-one really cares, it's just an entertainment product. Having every console and gaming platform featuring in the video would add nothing as it doesn't add to the point of the video. When I see posts and threads like this, it seems to me that people seem to think of these products as some sort of religion. Any unequal coverage is often seen as a personal attack.
Honestly, it never crossed my mind. You should see my post/thread history before judging me.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Gamespot isn't exactly known for fair coverage of Nintendo news, so it's no surprise that such a negative story that could lead to a negative stigma focuses on Nintendo systems, instead of also including current market leaders.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Because it's literally a video of people playing games everywhere, almost obsessively.

This seems like an incredibly trivial thing to be questioning the intent behind.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Because the majority of people won't get so defensive to get mad about this.

Most people wouldn't think about it at all.

There's no conspiracy here.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because these videos are thrown together and Nintendo's Switch ads were the easiest and longest new footage of people physically playing games rather than having to edit footage from other videos in.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a conspiracy!

24588758._SX540_.jpg

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
A blast from the 90' s for me. JK. So many bad memories about gamming being a bad thing if played more than a hour per day.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
What is with the hostility towards the OP, have any of these people even watched the video? It is the Switch trailer underlined with info on gaming disorder. Ofc this is odd, even if it is just a lazy effort for clicks.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much. This is the sort of response I was expecting. And you're probably right, maybe it's simply just a low effort from them as said below.

I'm aware that it's a Switch trailer but I didn't realize that it's all coming from one trailer. I thought it's a compilation of Switch trailers.

I guess this is the real answer. It's just a low effort content. The authors didn't really put much thought into it.

Well, I'm glad I contributed! I'm having a blast at some of the meme posts but yeah, you didn't really get many relevant answer unfortunately. It was an interesting thing to point out.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
What is with the hostility towards the OP, have any of these people even watched the video? It is the Switch trailer underlined with info on gaming disorder. Ofc this is odd, even if it is just a lazy effort for clicks.

If you're bothered that every gaming platform isn't given proportionate time in a video based on some supposedly objective metric, please take a step back and look at your life.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Because non-Switch owners doesn't want their favorite consoles to get associate with the story. So they are normalizing this instead of feeling weird that there is literally no sign of the two consoles with the highest platforms instead.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This perception is delusional.

It's just using a publicly available videogame commercial laying over a news story, there is no anti Nintendo Switch conspiracy here. It's no different than a news story about hacked computers likely showing PCs from a Dell commercial, or about cell phone addiction using Apple or Samsung commercials or showing kids using iPads in a news story about the harmful affect of too much screen time. "Oh! but there's no Kindle Fire 7" HD or Heiwei ZenSlate Pro... they're only showing iPads!!!"

Also, take a step back and address that you're forming a personal persecution complex centered around a media corporation.

Because non-Switch owners doesn't want their favorite consoles to get associate with the story. So they are normalizing this instead of feeling weird that there is literally no sign of the two consoles with the highest platforms instead.

Do you actually believe this?

Did you really use "normalizing" ... when talking about a story from the World Health Organization classifying a new disease... A gamespot some average enthusiast publication covering it? A videogame console being used in a story about videogames from a videogame publication is not ... fucking sexual abuse or race crimes. It's already normal ... nobody has to normalize anything when it comes to videogame websites using videogame media when talking about videogame stories. What, are Switch owners (which I am one...) ... victims in this... or something?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.