• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why is Die Hard 2 the best in the series?

• The airport is a better location

Votes: 42 59.2%
  • Ze Germans

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Renny Harlin’s direction makes me hot and bothered

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • 1 and 3 is like the third Home Alone

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
I realise that a few like the first one, and maybe a couple like the third one.
But why do most of us love the magnum airport?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
hans-gruber2.gif

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Nah it's 5. Everyone loves 5.
This series just keeps getting better, just like Mission Impossible.

I'll agree that 90s Renny Harlin is underrated.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching Die Hard 2 over the holidays, I was surprised with how much I didn't like it. There's some good scenes, but I really didn't like what they did with McClain. They sort of fixed him in three, but they went back to 2's all knowing/ supehero McClain with 4 + 5

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From best to worst:

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Die Hard

Die Hard 2

Live Free or Die Hard

The one we don't talk about

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because of totally awesome quotes like this, "Hey Lorenzo, let me ask you something: what sets off a metal detector first? The lead in your ass or the shit in your brains? "

Silly John, shit doesn't set off a metal detector.

1>3>2>.................4...............................fuck 5 and fuck whatever that prequel is they've been threatening.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
What put me off Die Hard 2, even though it was competent as a basic redo of the first film was the unnecessarily grim part where a commercial plane full of passengers is destroyed. It's overly dark for a fun action film, and casts a downer note over the rest of the film.
Other than that it's fine. But too much of a repeat of the first film, Vengeance went the right route of switching up the format a lot.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
which is the one with the apple dude crushin on mcclane's daughter? That is not the best one.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Die Hard 2 is low key the best sequel and I've been saying it for years. It's the only sequel that actually remembers that the first movie happened and it's the only movie that bucks the "surprise, its actually a robbery" twist

Royce

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
What put me off Die Hard 2, even though it was competent as a basic redo of the first film was the unnecessarily grim part where a commercial plane full of passengers is destroyed. It's overly dark for a fun action film, and casts a downer note over the rest of the film.
Other than that it's fine. But too much of a repeat of the first film, Vengeance went the right route of switching up the format a lot.
Have to heavily disagree here. The scene is great and dares to shake the usual happy & mindless action film formula a bit.

I can definitely understand why the American audiences do not want any of that though.

OP
OP
ScandiNavy

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Have to heavily disagree here. The scene is great and dares to shake the usual happy & mindless action film formula a bit.

I can definitely understand why the American audiences do not want any of that though.
Boom! There's an important piece of the puzzle.
Some wants the happy go lucky action formula.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I really don't like the special force is in on the conspiracy plot twist. It's too ridiculous. People in special force (when they are still in the army) don't do that.

It's too far fetching. At lease the ridiculous things in Die Hard 3 have a tongue in cheek attitude.

This thread just remind me McTiernan and Renny Harlin no longer make action movies. :(

I will give you that both the escape pod and the final explosion are really great set pieces.