• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's tons of examples of this in movies and shows, it even has it's own meme page!
knowyourmeme.com

Mexican Filter

Mexican Filter or Mexico Filter refers to parodies of a trope in American film and television in which scenes taking place in Mexico are often shown through a sepia or yellow-colored filter. The cliche began garnering attention in the early 2000s, increasing over the following years through...

An example of this is the opening scene from Spectre, which is in Mexico.
higuf49m65d11.jpg

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul do this. It's kind of annoying. I guess it's shorthand for Mexico though.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Racism, xenophobia, history of similar behavior
It's the perfect filter for that country.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it had to do with giving a visual cue to audiences to explain the story is currently in Mexico. Then some filmmakers took it as a artistic representation entirely and just copied it then applied it to everything because they thought it looked cool.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Because you have been kidnapped by the drug cartel and it looks scary and otherworldly.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Traffic was the worst about this, though at least America was drenched in blue, instead of just being unfiltered.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was thinking the same thing recently when watching Ozark. It doesn't bother me though

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I used to watch all the CSI shows, each one would run a different color filter (green for the original in Vegas, yellow for Miami, and blue for New York). Those were the days.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
But here in Mexico we have tons of ecosystems. Jungles, forest, beaches, desert, mountains. It's a huge country.

Mexico is not as big as the USA, but we are the 13th largest country in the world.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's more annoying than the piss filter? The random ass Latin American surnames.

There's Hernandez, Morales, Gutiérrez, Martínez, López, Ramírez, I can go on. Nah, let's name some motherfucker Guerro.

Better yet, let's create a fictional town, like Las Cruces de Santo Pueblito down in some part of "MEXICO". Just open up Google Maps, you lazy ass screenwriters, here, let me help. You want something near the US? Ciudad Acuña, you want something near the southern part of Mexico? Penjamo, you want something close to Belize? There's La Misteriosa in Campeche. I did this shit just looking at random points in Google Maps.

I just want to create a story placed in Bunkerton, Ohio, with police detective Joun Blasterson and his deputy Reeck Willbergnemheim.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I think Breaking Bad is the most iconic example of this.

I'm pretty sure they did it because Albuquerque and Mexico look so similar that they needed some sort of visual cue to let the audience know when events were taking place outside of the main setting. Since so much of the supporting elements of the plot revolve around Mexico, using text or establishing shots to show where people were would have been too much whiplash.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
But here in Mexico we have tons of ecosystems. Jungles, forest, beaches, desert, mountains. It's a huge country.

Mexico is not as big as the USA, but we are the 13th largest country in the world.
It's a damn shame. Mexico is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, it's got a little bit of everything.

Guadalajara is an absolutely gorgeous city, I wish I'd gotten to see more of it while I was there a few years back.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn shame. Mexico is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, it's got a little bit of everything.

Guadalajara is an absolutely gorgeous city, I wish I'd gotten to see more of it while I was there a few years back.
Similar to how Iran is depicted as one big desert country.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Artists trying to convey a feeling/tone? I feel like this is a crossover thread with gaming's side of the weekly chromatic aberration topic.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

And parts of Canada are further south than the north-eastern United States. Our summers can hit over 100 F. But when you think of Canada, you think cold, and snow.

People associate Mexico with warm weather. Warm weather often means warm camera filter in the visual language of TV and film. Same reason blue colour filters are used in cold locations.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's a visual shorthand for "ugly foreign poverty". Can't make a place look nasty without an extra layer of piss.

And yes, the racist attitude behind it is just as bad as I phrased it.

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
It also pisses me off that Hollywood thinks there are chickens running around everywhere in Latin America. Like, wtf, do they think poultry just roams free in the streets?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Post above yours explains why it could be considered that.
There's seriously a chasm of difference between stereotyping a climate and biome and stereotyping cities as being dirty/foreign...

If it has to do with the latter then sure, but the post I quoted didn't make that connotation. It was talking about deserts.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yellow = Warm
Blue = Cold
Green = Jungle, Amazonian
etc.

Not hard to understand.

Here's a scene in the Dominican Republic

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
artists copy good ones. Soderbergh did the color tint (for different locations) in traffic (being mexico very yellow) and every other followed.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's tons of examples of this in movies and shows, it even has it's own meme page!
knowyourmeme.com

Mexican Filter

Mexican Filter or Mexico Filter refers to parodies of a trope in American film and television in which scenes taking place in Mexico are often shown through a sepia or yellow-colored filter. The cliche began garnering attention in the early 2000s, increasing over the following years through...

An example of this is the opening scene from Spectre, which is in Mexico.
higuf49m65d11.jpg
I've seen this point many times but it ignores the fact that almost the entire movie has a yellow filter, including in London and Italy.

spectre2015-0544.jpg

spectre2015-0844.jpg

spectre2015-1110.jpg

spectre2015-2254.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not really.
The filter is setting a tone,
this especially helps when you have sets and elements that really aren't on location but easily fakes a blend.

This is insanely common for tv.
Stuff like SEAL Team and Hawaii Five-0 will show a real-life establishing shot with a filter applied and then cut to stuff filmed in America with the filter applied to fake it.
Afghanistan gets a tanish grey filter
Mexio a deep yellow tint
Southeast Asia and Brazil had green tints

In 5-0's case the show is set in Hawaii so they heavily used filters to sell the same location as multiple different settings.
Hawaii as Mexio

Hawaii as North Korea

Last edited:

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I'm willing to call out racism when I see it as well, but how is a stereotyping landscape racist?

Because it's trying to other a place where certain cultures exist. Really very easy.

However, that doesn't have to be the case with the use of a yellow (or golden) color filter to signify climate. I see an obsession among some people that visual art has to be presented "naturally". When someone uses the term "piss filter", they are showing how shallow they are and how little they care for artistic expression (and possibly that they are dehydrated). They have an extremely narrow view of what art can be and wish to limit how others express themselves. Rather than say they don't prefer a yellow tint, they link the color with a liquid body waste making sure their audience understands that it's gross to use that kind of tint and anyone that doesn't think so must actually like urine and is consequently gross.

In color theory warm tones are typically used for warm climates or to create a specific mood. It can be done in a racist way, of course, but yellow filter for warm climates is a very old visual shortcut. The shortcut is often used in film because one does not always have the opportunity to shoot outside of single location but the story takes place across more than one diverse location. Accordingly filters are used to quickly establish a different location.