• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would watch a House of Mouse reboot in a heartbeat, but Mickey has really become more of an icon than a TV/movie character nowadays.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also worth noting on this topic: Winnie the Pooh is one of the most valuable IPs in the world as well, and the last time they put out a Pooh movie (which I believe was supposed to be top notch), it completely bombed.

Which one? I thought Christopher Robin did OK -- do you mean "made money, but way less than Disney expected", or are you referring to a different film?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
For the last couple of decades Disney seemed to have a shift in who their mascot was, Thinkerbell was put on the spotlight kinds displacing Mickey.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Which one? I thought Christopher Robin did OK -- do you mean "made money, but way less than Disney expected", or are you referring to a different film?

Era's definition of what a bomb is hilarious: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=disneyfairytale2017.htm

Did it make a lot of money? No. But it didn't bomb.

I was thinking of the 2011 animated movie, which it looks like only made $26 million domestic and just under $50 million worldwide.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=winniethepooh.htm

Christopher Robin did indeed blow that movie out of the water from a box office perspective. I'll admit I wasn't thinking of CR, because its a different kind of movie compared to what this thread has been about. For example, a big budget Oscar bait live action fictional Walt Disney biography where Mickey Mouse is a character guiding him around or something would probably be a hit, but that doesn't necessarily mean that coming out with regular Mickey Mouse animated films would be a good idea. Not saying that it ISN'T a good idea, but just pointing to the Winnie the Pooh animated movie to show that brand popularity doesn't necessarily always translate to box office gold.

Last edited:

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I see him on my tv daily even when not watching kids tv, every single Disney Parks advert has a kid running and hugging him

He basically symbolises happiness now

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017