• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would watch a House of Mouse reboot in a heartbeat, but Mickey has really become more of an icon than a TV/movie character nowadays.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also worth noting on this topic: Winnie the Pooh is one of the most valuable IPs in the world as well, and the last time they put out a Pooh movie (which I believe was supposed to be top notch), it completely bombed.

Which one? I thought Christopher Robin did OK -- do you mean "made money, but way less than Disney expected", or are you referring to a different film?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
For the last couple of decades Disney seemed to have a shift in who their mascot was, Thinkerbell was put on the spotlight kinds displacing Mickey.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Which one? I thought Christopher Robin did OK -- do you mean "made money, but way less than Disney expected", or are you referring to a different film?

Era's definition of what a bomb is hilarious: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=disneyfairytale2017.htm

Did it make a lot of money? No. But it didn't bomb.

I was thinking of the 2011 animated movie, which it looks like only made $26 million domestic and just under $50 million worldwide.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=winniethepooh.htm

Christopher Robin did indeed blow that movie out of the water from a box office perspective. I'll admit I wasn't thinking of CR, because its a different kind of movie compared to what this thread has been about. For example, a big budget Oscar bait live action fictional Walt Disney biography where Mickey Mouse is a character guiding him around or something would probably be a hit, but that doesn't necessarily mean that coming out with regular Mickey Mouse animated films would be a good idea. Not saying that it ISN'T a good idea, but just pointing to the Winnie the Pooh animated movie to show that brand popularity doesn't necessarily always translate to box office gold.

Last edited:

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I see him on my tv daily even when not watching kids tv, every single Disney Parks advert has a kid running and hugging him

He basically symbolises happiness now

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017