• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
South Park is trending #2 after Batman on Twitter right now but I am pretty confused to what the fuss is about.

Was there just a controversial episode drop or something?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Quick glance at the trend shows me a woman with a lot of followers expressed a critical opinion of it.

So now we're off to the usual races.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Someone complaining that South Park is responsible for major cultural damage. And a bunch of people, including the usual right wing types, responding about how bullshit that is.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it wasn't good when I saw Posobiec and Paul Joseph "making lefties nervous" Watson were among the top.
South Park isn't getting "cancelled" you morons. It's only ending when Trey & Matt are tired of it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Quick glance at the trend shows me a woman with a lot of followers expressed a critical opinion of it.

So now we're off to the usual races.
I'm reminded of when Era was starting off and was still being raided by straight up unabashed Nazis, and you had a South Park thread say it's okay to use blackface when you're mocking Kanye West because he deserves it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
South Park is trending #2 after Batman on Twitter right now but I am pretty confused to what the fuss is about.

Was there just a controversial episode drop or something?
Isn't that every episode? South park is a centrist's dream that loudly screeches about how caring about things is bad and makes fun of anything not part of the status quo.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that every episode? South park is a centrist's dream that loudly screeches about how caring about things is bad and makes fun of anything not part of the status quo.

Centrist?
South Park is one of the most left leaning TV show in the 21st century and this coming from someone who has voted multiple times for the most left wing party in a social democracy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to sometimes tell why something is trending 'cus when you click the trending tab, it's sometimes hundreds of tweets where other people confused as well. The only relevant thing seems that Dana Schwartz tweet but that's bringing up an old article and her Tweet thread doesn't seemed to have been triggered by anything specific.

With that said, if this is the reason it's trending: she ain't wrong.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A friend of mine was just complaining to me that her husband only gets his political news from South Park. That seems to be far too common.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The left is denouncing it and the right now defends it

Thats basically the gist of the trend

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
South Park did a lot of the heavy lifting of turning my otherwise intelligent friends into "both sides suck so why care" alt-light nihilists. I never got the impression that was South Park's intent necessarily, just a side effect nonetheless.

May 26, 2018
South Park did a lot of the heavy lifting of turning my otherwise intelligent friends into "both sides suck so why care" alt-light nihilists. I never got the impression that was South Park's intent necessarily, just a side effect nonetheless.

Well. The big purpose of humor is to normalize things. To generate release via comfort or apathy; to let your guard down when it's done with the subject.

Whether that's things we all have in common which we don't know we have in common and worry about, or things that society has deemed unacceptable for some reason.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I wonder what made a generation of young people cynical and angry, distrustful of institutions and traditional politics.

Was it the collapse in living standards and rising levels of debt

Was it the illegal wars based on lies that killed millions of people and continue to rend the world's wounds open for decades

Was it the accelerating climate crisis destroying the planet, burning, drowning, choking and poisoning us all that leaders deny is happening, and when they don't decline to do anything about since it would be too expensive

Was it the return of fascism, white nationalism, ethnic cleansing, concentration camps and xenophobia

Was it the biggest financial collapse since the Great Depression, where insane hyper accelerated greed destroyed the homes and livelihoods of the middle class

No, in fact, it was a cartoon

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting watching people trip over themselves by providing whataboutism of other factors that influenced social and political apathy with young people. It's not hard to acknowledge that South Park played a role in a lot of people's take on issues.

Even the viral tweet continues to say that she doesn't blame the show itself. But it contributed to a culture where insecure and fragile youth gravitated to a show for their stances, because it was comfortable and edgy.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
The popular Reddit post about South Park, it was brought up within the trending hashtag.

EQrOGfnUcAEC7kL

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
While South Park has been influencial in the last decades the good it has done compared to the harm far outweighs the criticisms. I know its not a popular opinion but they nailed the execution of representing both sides in a negative and positive life, while also being so absurdist yet so grounded in reality I'm actually kinda shocked no one has really taken a step back and thought to them selves that yeah, things really do need to change wholesale.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
There was a news story about some high schoolers that were suing to prevent a trans girl from participate in girl's sports recently. It was posted to reddit, and naturally, people brought up the trans athlete episode of South Park, as if they some sort of prophet that was 100% correct on every issue.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
South Park's climate denialism has been utterly uninfluential on young people though.

The climate strikes last September were the biggest in world history.
Millennials grew up with South Park. From my understanding, Millennials did not lead the climate strikes. Millennials make up "young people"

Oct 25, 2017
While South Park has been influencial in the last decades the good it has done compared to the harm far outweighs the criticisms. I know its not a popular opinion but they nailed the execution of representing both sides in a negative and positive life, while also being so absurdist yet so grounded in reality I'm actually kinda shocked no one has really taken a step back and thought to them selves that yeah, things really do need to change wholesale.

I think the telltale sign of how things don't feel like they're changing is that they did a second episode tackling the Catholic Church abusing kids, 16 years after the original.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Millennials participated in the climate strikes, and overwhelmingly believe in climate change science as a cohort. The Green New Deal was proposed by a millennial!
Yes they participated. And? It is undeniable that large groups of millennials were influenced by South Park. No one is saying all millennials. And yes, I would hope if there is a non-apathetic millennial in office who wasn't influence negatively by South Park, they would push for climate action.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Centrist?
South Park is one of the most left leaning TV show in the 21st century and this coming from someone who has voted multiple times for the most left wing party in a social democracy.
I wouldn't necessarily call South Park left-leaning, but more Right Critical. They constantly mock and parody right-leaning thoughts and tendencies, but also the entire show is in that 'point of view'? The biggest example that comes to mind is one of the more recent season finales where everyone having a gun actually does work since it's a stalemate of everyone not shooting each other because they're all armed. It appeals to the left because it's a criticism of the right, but I wouldn't necessarily call it left-leaning.