• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Then why do they have the polar opposite view on climate change to the one pushed in Manbearpig?

If it's "impossible to overstate" the influence, how come the majority of them are on the other side of the issue?
On one issue?

Let's look at millennial voting numbers and general involvement in politics for the last decade as another data point. Let's look at online discussion norms and how South Park episodes shaped criticism towards other issues and promoted "both sides are the same" in earnest.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Then why do they have the polar opposite view on climate change to the one pushed in Manbearpig?

If it's "impossible to overstate" the influence, how come the majority of them are on the other side of the issue?

Honestly her hyperbolic opening statement is the biggest problem I have with the tweet. And then a few hours after it she starts walking it back by saying she didn't mean the show itself...

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
On one issue?

Let's look at millennial voting numbers and general involvement in politics for the last decade as another data point. Let's look at online discussion norms and how South Park episodes shaped criticism towards other issues and promoted "both sides are the same" in earnest.

It's the issue you brought up and said caused the hashtag! And now you're saying it doesn't matter?!

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
It's the issue you brought up and said caused the hashtag! And now you're saying it doesn't matter?!
Reread this entire conversation. I brought up a viral reddit post that was being shared. No where did I say this was the only issue OR THE SOURCE OF THE HASHTAG and not once did I say it didn't matter.

Are you responding to my posts or an argument in your head?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
It's impossible to overstate how much people on the internet thinks South Park has a bigger influence than it possible can.

Anyway, I think it's done to criticize South Park, and I can absolutely see a lot of the trash internet culture developing that way alongside watching South Park. I still like the show for myself, but I don't typically defend it too ardently.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Reread this entire conversation. I brought up a viral reddit post that was being shared. No where did I say this was the only issue and not once did I say it didn't matter.

Are you responding to my posts or an argument in your head?

I'm responding to you saying that Manbearpig is the evidence that South Park has an "impossible to overstate" influence on young people, when in fact, young people believe the opposite.

But ok, you want to talk about another issue?

2008 had the highest youth vote turnout ever. They also, along with Gen X and Gen Z, outvoted the boomers for the first time in 2018.

Why did this happen if South Park got into their heads and told them it was pointless?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
They apologized for the Manbearpig episode

edit: damn beaten by seconds lol
Did they ever apologize for comparing transitioning genders to getting race-changing surgery or transforming into a dolphin? Because even back then I knew that episode was really, really not ok.

Fuck them for that take and the entire PC Principal season that white dudes who say the n-word on Twitter felt empowered by.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think south park is anything but just matt and trey wanting to be contrarians for the sake of it because they have no real life experience or interaction with the issues they tackle and the problem comes from the bunch of middle class white kids who take their word as gospel because it seems cool

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Did they ever apologize for comparing transitioning genders to getting race-changing surgery or transforming into a dolphin? Because even back then I knew that episode was really, really not ok.

Fuck them for that take and the entire PC Principal season that white dudes who say the n-word on Twitter felt empowered by.

probably not, these guys are fucking trash and I do recall hearing them having transphobic shit in this most recent season.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Centrist?
South Park is one of the most left leaning TV show in the 21st century and this coming from someone who has voted multiple times for the most left wing party in a social democracy.
I don't know how you can say that. "South Park Republican", a term for young right-leaning voters inspired by the show, exists for a reason. And though Matt and Trey call themselves libertarians, they've participated in Republican events and certainly fall on the side of many, many flat-out Republican view points.

South Park been center-right since the inception. They very, very seldom "lean left" outside of gay rights (which is fucking generous) and the PSP episode.

They typically show both sides and land in the middle or they straight up lean right. I remember in the early 2010's seeing people make this claim and get shot down.

Kind of hard to call South Park "left leaning" in 2020 after the last 5 seasons or so.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
South Park has pretty inconsistent politics that lean reactionary and nilhistic. Not really a left wing show at all.

It's extremely fortunate it's influence isn't "impossible to overstate" honestly.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I'm responding to you saying that Manbearpig is the evidence that South Park has an "impossible to overstate" influence on young people, when in fact, young people believe the opposite.
Provide the quote where I said that exactly. You seem more interested in creating false arguments to respond to than responding to my actual posts.

Hell, even quote me where I said the word "manbearpig" in this thread, outside of this post right now.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You agree that it damaged our culture...?
As someone who got made fun of for years due to something made up on the show, yeah. Also, the number of stupid quotes I've heard from South Park fans imitating Japanese people when I mentioned I lived there was racist and obnoxious. I think a lot of Americans don't process a lot of the shitty stuff they took from South Park, because it's comedy.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I fell off the moment I saw the previews for the transgender athlete show and haven't looked back.

In retrospect, much as I still think past seasons hosted some of the best comedy on television, I often ponder how much South Park contributed to my past apathy towards politics and the like. (Of course, it'd hardly be the only factor: I practically lived under a political rock until 2016.) It's been difficult revisiting stuff like the PC season and ManBearPig knowing what I do now.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
South Park is the Fight Club of television in that it raised a generation of people completely unable to process a target of satire, creating heroes out of all the worst possible characters, and endlessly quoting their lines unironically while completely missing the point.
This wouldn't ordinarily be the fault of the show but Matt & Trey have repeatedly shown a cruel, nihilistic streak that you only get by turning into a multimillionaire and having zero skin in the game, converting their efforts at satire into a superficial at best game of throwing strawmen at each other from a position of unassailable privilege. The tweet is 100% spot on in the corrosive effects this has on culture.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
South Park broke a generation of television viewer and have left them emotionally broken, cynical and calloused to people around them, but it isn't the only thing that did everyone in. 9/11 shifted everything. That was a defining moment for generations in which reverberations will be felt for decades upon decades. The what if would be fun to play (what if 9/11 never happened, would South Park have become more political and less wacky the way we see it today? Dunno) but ultimately pointless.

it is what it is tho. The damage is done. South Park isn't alone in doing the damage, but it can't be denied how it defined culture, a generation of people and comedy.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Provide the quote where I said that exactly. You seem more interested in creating false arguments to respond to than responding to my actual posts.

Hell, even quote me where I said the word "manbearpig" in this thread, outside of this post right now.

You said;

It's not hard to acknowledge that South Park played a role in a lot of people's take on issues.

and then posted the reddit comment.

Do you disagree with the reddit comment, or agree with it?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
While I don't think South Park is free of blame when it comes to political apathy, it's important not to ignore politics itself as at least a partial driver of that.

I'm 33, and the first election I voted for was for Obama. I've voted for every election since, and will vote for whoever gets the democratic nom in 2020, whether it's Elizabeth Warren, Michael Bloomberg, or a random golden retriever that joins the race. I care about the political process, but I can also understand that don't. And if you asked me for all the reasons why they may be indifferent, South Park would probably be towards the bottom of the list.

There will always be people who think they're above politics. And while I'm sure some of those are SP fans, the people in my life I know that always boil down their argument to "Eh, they're both the same" are people who are a decade or so older than me and, to the best of my knowledge, aren't especially big fans of SP.

Anecdotal, I know. But while I agree with the tweet in question - that the show has remained comfortably smug in both sides-ing issues and seeing sincerity as the enemy - I still struggle to conjure up much anger for it given all the other things in the world that can and do inspire apathy. And that despite all these things, many young people still seem incredibly passionate and invested in progress.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So you are trying to say "Darryl M R I cannot find you posting any arguments about manbearpig in this thread" ?

No I think you posted something that wasn't very thought out that South Park was influential enough to make young people climate deniers and are now trying to backtrack.

The pedantry over ah but I didn't say the words myself isn't very compelling honestly.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
No I think you posted something that wasn't very thought out that South Park was influential enough to make young people climate deniers and are now trying to backtrack.

The pedantry over ah but I didn't say the words myself isn't very compelling honestly.
No I think I posted a viral Reddit post, and clearly stated that this was a viral Reddit post being shared under that thread. Not once did I say that I shared 100% of the same exact arguments. But I see that you rather create narratives in your head and respond to them, as evident in this thread, than respond to my actual post, so I think we are done here.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what made a generation of young people cynical and angry, distrustful of institutions and traditional politics.

Was it the collapse in living standards and rising levels of debt

Was it the illegal wars based on lies that killed millions of people and continue to rend the world's wounds open for decades

Was it the accelerating climate crisis destroying the planet, burning, drowning, choking and poisoning us all that leaders deny is happening, and when they don't decline to do anything about since it would be too expensive

Was it the return of fascism, white nationalism, ethnic cleansing, concentration camps and xenophobia

Was it the biggest financial collapse since the Great Depression, where insane hyper accelerated greed destroyed the homes and livelihoods of the middle class

No, in fact, it was a cartoon

On point post.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
No I think I posted a viral Reddit post, and clearly stated that this was a viral Reddit post being shared under that thread. Not once did I say that I shared 100% of the same exact arguments. But I see that you rather create narratives in your head than respond to my actual post, so I think we are done here.

Alright no worries.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SP has done good and bad. Probably more good than bad. But it's hard to see past its lowest points, for sure.

M & T are definitely socially left though, even if they've had some shitty and uneducated opinions over the years.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't South Park.

The problem is people identifying with a cartoon that consists of a kid feeding another kid pieces of his parents in Chilli and smearing shit on walls as a business venture.

Stupid people can't grasp that you can enjoy the show while not modeling your own life after it.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
the show was portraying that and teaching that sarcastically as comedy. was I supposed to take it seriously? lol.

also, this show ended in 2004 or 2005 in my mind, so I probably shouldn't be talking.

Last edited:

whalenapp81

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what made a generation of young people cynical and angry, distrustful of institutions and traditional politics.

Was it the collapse in living standards and rising levels of debt

Was it the illegal wars based on lies that killed millions of people and continue to rend the world's wounds open for decades

Was it the accelerating climate crisis destroying the planet, burning, drowning, choking and poisoning us all that leaders deny is happening, and when they don't decline to do anything about since it would be too expensive

Was it the return of fascism, white nationalism, ethnic cleansing, concentration camps and xenophobia

Was it the biggest financial collapse since the Great Depression, where insane hyper accelerated greed destroyed the homes and livelihoods of the middle class

No, in fact, it was a cartoon

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
i dont think south park is anything but just matt and trey wanting to be contrarians for the sake of it because they have no real life experience or interaction with the issues they tackle and the problem comes from the bunch of middle class white kids who take their word as gospel because it seems cool
I don't know how anybody can take the show so seriously all the time. The fact that it's children doing these things should be the first sign that it's "heavy satire"

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
ITT: South Park didn't have a cultural influence and you are stupid for thinking culture affects people's world view, actually

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Blaming South Park is the exact kind of facile bullshit that the left too often does to let itself off the hook for being partly responsible for young people not having faith in institutions anymore.

And I say this as somebody who is very much on the left.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Pera Talks With You is like the anti South Park. A love of the mundane little thing in life, earnest enjoyment of what makes you happy and just being in general awe at the world and people around us. Basically everyone should watch Joe Pera Talks With You to grow back some of your soul.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Centrist?
South Park is one of the most left leaning TV show in the 21st century and this coming from someone who has voted multiple times for the most left wing party in a social democracy.
You should watch It's Always Sunny to see what actual left leaning television under the guise of offensive humor looks like. Not the centrist trash that is south park.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I like how people are cosigning a post that doesn't address a single thing in that twitter thread.

Almost as if this is the playbook for people who want to pretend South Park can't possibly be criticized for the stances it has historically taken for the entirety of its decades-spanning time on the air.

Last edited:

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
She has some pretty bad takes and this is one of them. It's not like South Park's politics are amazing and it probably affected some people, but ehhhh