• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
that ssd you linked can only do 2GB/sec seq read.

The SSD I link is using standard PCIE3 SSD controller and something inside the configuration which will be totally different in Sony case. The only things comparable to this SSD could be NAND Flash every other things will be custom from the SSD controller optimized for fast read speed, a secondary CPU inside the SSD, some hardware decompressor, some SRAM and maybe a custom bus and a specialized filesystem internal to the SSD.

A SSD is much more than NAND Flash, again Cerny have talk about a highly customized SSD and the SSD patent lead to something very different than current SSD in PC and tailored for gaming purpose like SSD in datacenter are very different than SSD inside PC and goes much faster.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well people are claiming speeds over 4GB. Or basically even PCIE4.0 speeds.
AMD's StoreMI allows using seperate storage (or even RAM) for cache. Sony could easly put 120-250GB of Gen4 storage or few GB of RAM for that purpose.
It depend's how creative Sony want to be.
Check benchmarks how beneficial StoreMI is even to standard HDDs and it was 1gen tech.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I believe sony said they're using pcie 4 ssds no? That's tons different from just rla regular sata SSD.

Also saying ssds don't make a difference in games that constantly need to stream data? That's... Interesting. Especially considering consoles typically are running with less ram and need to stream more.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I believe sony said they're using pcie 4 ssds no? That's tons different from just rla regular sata SSD.

Also saying ssds don't make a difference in games that constantly need to stream data? That's... Interesting. Especially considering consoles typically are running with less ram and need to stream more.

Sony said they use a highly customized SSD, in April faster than anything on PC. This is not sure at all the bus is PCIE, it could be PCIE4 or customized.

www.resetera.com

PS5 - a patent dive into what might be the tech behind Sony's SSD customisations (technical!)

This will be one for people interested in some potentially more technical speculation. I posted in the next-gen speculation thread, but was encouraged to spin it off into its own thread. I did some patent diving to see if I could dig up any likely candidates for what Sony's SSD solution might...

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sony said they use a highly customized SSD, in April faster than anything on PC. This is not sure at all the bus is PCIE, it could be PCIE4 or customized.

www.resetera.com

PS5 - a patent dive into what might be the tech behind Sony's SSD customisations (technical!)

This will be one for people interested in some potentially more technical speculation. I posted in the next-gen speculation thread, but was encouraged to spin it off into its own thread. I did some patent diving to see if I could dig up any likely candidates for what Sony's SSD solution might...

I'd be cautious on the "faster than anything on PC". Cerny already pulled a similar trick with the "supercharged pc architecture" for PS4.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Will next gen consoles have even faster loading times than PCs?

Because they will have SSD's as standard, whereas some PC users still use regular HDD.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
The SSD I link is using standard PCIE3 SSD controller and something inside the configuration which will be totally different in Sony case. The only things comparable to this SSD could be NAND Flash every other things will be custom from the SSD controller optimized for fast read speed, a secondary CPU inside the SSD, some hardware decompressor, some SRAM and maybe a custom bus and a specialized filesystem internal to the SSD.

A SSD is much more than NAND Flash, again Cerny have talk about a highly customized SSD and the SSD patent lead to something very different than current SSD in PC and tailored for gaming purpose like SSD in datacenter are very different than SSD inside PC and goes much faster.

Yeh and all Nand isn't equal, the QLC nand in that drive you linked is the slowest and cheapest type of nand.

AMD's StoreMI allows using seperate storage (or even RAM) for cache. Sony could easly put 120-250GB of Gen4 storage or few GB of RAM for that purpose.
It depend's how creative Sony want to be.
Check benchmarks how beneficial StoreMI is even to standard HDDs and it was 1gen tech.

Most ssd's come with dram caches, probably why they didn't include any in that review.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how well it works with gaming but it does wonders on my MacBook Pro.
Any increase in speed is welcome.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be cautious on the "faster than anything on PC". Cerny already pulled a similar trick with the "supercharged pc architecture" for PS4.

In that comment he was referring to some of the tweaks made to the GPU arch in PS4 - which at the time were a step ahead of what was typical on PC (in terms of async compute resources for example). If taken to refer to raw power, it would be incorrect, but that's not what he was talking about, even if of course there is a whiff of the marketing department off a comment like that.

With the SSD commentary, I think we should be very specific about what he said also - he indicated it was faster in raw bandwidth that what was available in the PC space, which at the time the comment was made would suggest faster than PCI3.0 units. So it could still be PCI4 - for example. His comment didn't claim it would be faster than anything then in the pipe for PC, or since released. But we will see in the end what it is, or isn't. I think for now we can pretty safely assume something better than PCI3 units - beyond that, who knows.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
In that comment he was referring to some of the tweaks made to the GPU arch in PS4 - which at the time were a step ahead of what was typical on PC (in terms of async compute resources for example). If taken to refer to raw power, it would be incorrect, but that's not what he was talking about, even if of course there is a whiff of the marketing department off a comment like that.

With the SSD commentary, I think we should be very specific about what he said also - he indicated it was faster in raw bandwidth that what was available in the PC space, which at the time the comment was made would suggest faster than PCI3.0 units. So it could still be PCI4 - for example. His comment didn't claim it would be faster than anything then in the pipe for PC, or since released. But we will see in the end what it is, or isn't. I think for now we can pretty safely assume something better than PCI3 units - beyond that, who knows.

Exactly the comment was made in April before SSD PCIE 4 release.

Like Gofreak said it was more advanced in term of feature and async compute than what was available on PC at this time and there is a huge difference with the AMD GPU, Here the technology out the Nand Flash itself can be fully customized by Sony. If Sony did not use PCIE bus, this could be completely customized out the NAND Flash and read the patent some of the solution have nothing to do with speed of NAND Flash but remove some of the bottleneck of NVme SSD like CPU bottleneck, filesystem and OS created for HDD, SSD controller made for equal read speed and write speed...

This is not a new subject SSD in datacenter are highly tailored compared to SSD on PC.

Last edited:

Ekimo

Nov 21, 2017
Since the PS5 will be using new AMD hardware it will also be able to benefit from PCIE 4 SSD speeds. I use a PCIE gen3 nvme SSD on my PC with a read/write speed of about 2,5gigs. PCIE gen4 can be almost twice of that which is crazy fast.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
/thread
The baseline for data-access-speed dictates the design possibilities of the game.
And why do we have games in 2019 like DMCV that force you to go through several loading screens to do the most basic and expected actions like retrying a mission? I mean, if that assumption was right DMCV would have been designed to address the slow loading times of consoles, but it wasn´t. BTW, the amount of times the game has to load makes it so that even on PC with a SSD it becomes a very tiring experience. Same with Bloodborne, which I´m singling out just for being a console exclusive which is infamous for its´ loading strategy. Surely the game could have made some changes in its´ design to make that problem less prevalent and being an exclusive it should´ve been tailored for the PS4 specific nuances. So, what makes you think that this time for real developers are going to embrace new design principles to take into consideration loading times/numbers? Do you really expect that devs which are not famous for being very-tech savvy/focused (such as FROM) are now going to change their tools and processes to take advantage of SSDs?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i thought this is obvious. SSD will be the standard baseline, as such developers can create games without 'data streaming issues' associated with platter drives.

PC users might have been using SSD to boot their OS or running games on it but let it be known, games, even games exclusively on PC, were not developed with SSD in-mind because well, the majority of PCs are still running on platter disks.

And why do we have games in 2019 like DMCV that force you to go through several loading screens to do the most basic and expected actions like retrying a mission? I mean, if that assumption was right DMCV would have been designed to address the slow loading times of consoles, but it wasn´t. BTW, the amount of times the game has to load makes it so that even on PC with a SSD it becomes a very tiring experience. Same with Bloodborne, which I´m singling out just for being a console exclusive which is infamous for its´ loading strategy. Surely the game could have made some changes in its´ design to make that problem less prevalent and being an exclusive it should´ve been tailored for the PS4 specific nuances. So, what makes you think that this time for real developers are going to embrace new design principles to take into consideration loading times/numbers? Do you really expect that devs which are not famous for being very-tech savvy/focused (such as FROM) are now going to change their tools and processes to take advantage of SSDs?

do you understand what 'baseline' means?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You're not understanding. Those are games that were designed to account for slow loading, but the fact is, consoles load slow for what they're trying to do. You can only duplicate so many assets.

You can only have so much information loaded into the RAM at one time, so the way those games work, they have to constantly have something completely dumped in order to have the new stuff added in. They can't stream it all in fast enough so they have to separate the different parts into separate loaded instances, in order to account for the HDD. This is to do the stuff they want to do at all. Separating instances literally is designing while accounting for having a slow HDD.

The fact that they have so many loading screens is because they have a lot of stuff to load for what they want to do. Bloodborne could have just not had a hub world, but that's not what FROM wanted to do. But that kind of extends beyond "designing for your hardware" into "completely changing your game's core experience loop," which they probably felt the load times were worth experiencing in order to have.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Consoles are baseline for game manufacturing, if the whole baseline has custom high powered SSDs imagine the effect, no loading screens, more space for non repeated content, custom installations etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Replaced the HDD in my PS4 Pro because I couldn't stand the loading times in MHW after playing it on my PC.
In this game it's a night and day difference, although my PC still loads faster.
I never want to see another HDD in my life again.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Replaced the HDD in my PS4 Pro because I couldn't stand the loading times in MHW after playing it on my PC.
In this game it's a night and day difference, although my PC still loads faster.
I never want to see another HDD in my life again.

If you want to know why that is you can go ask Sony why on earth they put a SATA II connector in their system after SATA III had already been standard for some time. Seems like such a strange, miniscule cost-saving measure. Any SSD will be bottlenecked, even if it is much better than the base hard drive.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

They will because it will become standard .
Of course not every dev will take full advantage of SSD but that goes for everything else also .
Also BB still had to work with the slow HDD in the PS4 it being exclusive don't change that .
Plus SSD are the future they going to have to upgrade there engine at some time or the other .

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to know why that is you can go ask Sony why on earth they put a SATA II connector in their system after SATA III had already been standard for some time. Seems like such a strange, miniscule cost-saving measure. Any SSD will be bottlenecked, even if it is much better than the base hard drive.
The Pro actually has a SATA3 connector, but doesn't use the full bandwidth. It's just so stupid.
But it was worth it anyways.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not every dev will take full advantage of SSD but that goes for everything else also .
Also BB still had to work with the slow HDD in the PS4 it being exclusive don't chnage that .
Plus SSD are the future they going to have to upgrade there engine at some time or the other .

Also despite their engine being so brutally outdated, it still loads super snappy with an SSD on PC, such as with any dark souls game. Seriously you can barely read one item description.

The Pro actually has a SATA3 connector, but doesn't use the full bandwidth. It's just so stupid.
But it was worth it anyways.

Oh my gosh I remember that!! I believe it's a firmware thing due to the base PS4 or whatever. Made me even more mad lol.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Weird topic. My SSD made loading games blazing fast on my computer - and the PS5/Scarlett is going to implement way newer technologi (PCIE4.0 or higher) which makes my SSD disc read speed look extremely slow. This is going to be a game changer.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly the comment was made in April before SSD PCIE 4 release.

Like Gofreak said it was more advanced in term of feature and async compute than what was available on PC at this time and there is a huge difference with the AMD GPU, Here the technology out the Nand Flash itself can be fully customized by Sony. If Sony did not use PCIE bus, this could be completely customized out the NAND Flash and read the patent some of the solution have nothing to do with speed of NAND Flash but remove some of the bottleneck of NVme SSD like CPU bottleneck, filesystem and OS created for HDD, SSD controller made for equal read speed and write speed...

This is not a new subject SSD in datacenter are highly tailored compared to SSD on PC.

There were some tweaks. Tweaks =/= Supercharged. You can't call a supercharged PC architecture 8 jaguar cores ductaped together with a mid tier GPU that had some customisations from the upcoming R7 series.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
jeusus, people are still fucking salty about the "supercharged PC architecture" termage during the PS4 meeting like 6 fucking years ago? its just standardized easy to use x86 architecture in an APU! They explained what it meant at the time, but people keep acting like its a friggen controversy when it never was

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
jeusus, people are still fucking salty about the "supercharged PC architecture" termage during the PS4 meeting like 6 fucking years ago? its just standardized easy to use x86 architecture in an APU! They explained what it meant at the time, but people keep acting like its a friggen controversy when it never was

It just means "Don't take those statements at face value".
Hence the "faster than any SSD on PC" statement. Because it doesn't give a concrete point of data. Any SATA SSD ? or Nvme too ? PCIe 3.0 ? 4.0 ? Read ? Write ?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
There were some tweaks. Tweaks =/= Supercharged. You can't call a supercharged PC architecture 8 jaguar cores ductaped together with a mid tier GPU that had some customisations from the upcoming R7 series.

Maybe not, but you might call other aspects of it 'supercharged' vs AMD GPUs of the time...

I'm not sure what the hairsplitting over language is though, or what the point is - is it that we shouldn't accept the comparison Cerny made in relation to SSD bandwidth, with available PC parts - a much more limited, specific and qualified comparison - because of a subjective evaluation he made previously that is arguable or disagreeable?

Hence the "faster than any SSD on PC" statement. Because it doesn't give a concrete point of data. Any SATA SSD ? or Nvme too ? PCIe 3.0 ? 4.0 ? Read ? Write ?

Ah, ok.

So he said read bandwidth, IIRC, and in the timeframe he was talking about, you wouldn't be including PCIe4. Given it was unqualified, I'd take it to mean a comparison of read bandwidth of PCIe3 SSDs.

Of course, take everything with a grain of salt until its out and confirmed, but until we've info to the contrary to whole-hardheartedly disbelieve that either.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What counts is to know if it's useful for a PS4 Fat/Slim user to swap his base drive for an SSD. And the answer is yes. Even a fully encumbered SATA2 lane will be ten times faster than what a mechanical drive can cough. It's user-replaceable in 5 minutes under warranty, and you can put the base drive in a 5$ USB3 case to use it as an external storage for the console, keeping on the SSD what you play frequently or what gains the most from it. And gains will be visible even with a 2016 entry level drive from Crucial or Samsung.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not, but you might call other aspects of it 'supercharged' vs AMD GPUs of the time...

I'm not sure what the hairsplitting over language is though, or what the point is - is it that we shouldn't accept the comparison Cerny made in relation to SSD bandwidth, with available PC parts - a much more limited, specific and qualified comparison - because of a subjective evaluation he made previously that is arguable or disagreeable?

It doesn't mean Cerny's lying no. But it means what Cerny says must be taken with caution if it doesn't provide concrete data nor details.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Except the Xbox has been, but right now Sony just confirmed the new console, so people are talking about that.

Your conspiracy bullshit is tiresome dude. Like, coming from someone who gets really tired of Sony fan boys personally, you're being worse. This is silly.

I am with you 100% on this. I'm tired of it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

your missing the point. im saying the term wasnt innaccurate for how they described the advantages of using it in fixed box. and in the same way, how they are setting up SSD's in a fixed box will make even more of a difference. It has nothing to do with being misleading how some people are arguing it to be. Customized SSD's in consoles acting as standardized units for developers to take full advantage of from the start will bring a seachange of advantages to game design, and that is just a fact. And so this whole thread is based on a false pretense.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
your missing the point. im saying the term wasnt innaccurate for how they described the advantages of using it in fixed box. and in the same way, how they are setting up SSD's in a fixed box will make even more of a difference. It has nothing to do with being misleading how some people are arguing it to be. Customized SSD's in consoles acting as standardized units for developers to take full advantage of from the start will bring a seachange of advantages to game design, and that is just a fact.

It means the term was vague and could be interpreted in many ways.

It is, you are mistaken supercharged PC architecture with supercharged PC.

I explained after: Even if you go for the architecture itself, save for the GPU enhancements/tweaks, the rest was pretty straightforward... sometimes even backward (Jaguar CPUs, SATA II ports).

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It means the term was vague and could be interpreted in many ways.

I explained after: Even if you go for the architecture itself, save for the GPU enhancements/tweaks, the rest was pretty straightforward... sometimes even backward (Jaguar CPUs, SATA II ports).

Talking about the architecture he was talking about the GPU to be precise, the APU, the 8 GB of GDDR5.

www.gamasutra.com

news

news

He talked about use an APU, async compute, 8 ACEs, bus Onion + volatile bit* and having 8 Gb of GDDR5 RAM unified memory. He never said Jaguar CPU are great or anything about HDD.

* All of this were on PS4 before PC

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i thought this is obvious. SSD will be the standard baseline, as such developers can create games without 'data streaming issues' associated with platter drives.
PC users might have been using SSD to boot their OS or running games on it but let it be known, games, even games exclusively on PC, were not developed with SSD in-mind because well, the majority of PCs are still running on platter disks.
do you understand what 'baseline' means?
I posted 2 examples where devs didn´t change anything in their games to address HDD´s low speeds now that HDDs are the baseline, so what makes you think they will now do so to take advantage of SSDs when those become the baseline? Why will disk access speed suddenly become such an important factor?

You're not understanding. Those are games that were designed to account for slow loading, but the fact is, consoles load slow for what they're trying to do. You can only duplicate so many assets.
No, they weren´t. In fact they were designed in a way that forced you to be loading content from the disk a lot of times, that´s why there are many complaints about this aspect for both of those games.

The fact that they have so many loading screens is because they have a lot of stuff to load for what they want to do. Bloodborne could have just not had a hub world, but that's not what FROM wanted to do. But that kind of extends beyond "designing for your hardware" into "completely changing your game's core experience loop," which they probably felt the load times were worth experiencing in order to have.
But that´s precisely what people are saying that will happen now, that devs will design their games to take advantage of the fast access speeds. Yet you yourself are declaring that this is not the case now in Bloodborne: That game should´ve been designed with HDD limitations in mind. It even has the advantage of being exclusive for PS4 so it should´ve been able to take advantage of specific characteristics only available in PS4. But we got a game with frequent and extremely long loading times. So tell me, why should we think that From will design their next game with this in mind? Surely, loading times will be reduced because SSDs are faster, but if for example you force a central hub or a big spread world with quick travel you´ll still be forcing a considerable amount of loading screens. From have already shown that is not something they consider when designing their games, no matter the baseline, even when designing exclusively for a single platform, so we shouldn´t expect any more advantages than those directly related to the intrinsic capabilities of SSDs.

Also BB still had to work with the slow HDD in the PS4 it being exclusive don't change that .
Again, look at BB. It was developed exclusively for PS4, yet the design didn´t consider for a second the slow access speeds of HDDs in the game´s design. The standard is now HDDs and we have many games that don´t consider the slow speeds of HDD by forcing the game to load frequently.
With next gen, the standard will be SSDs, ok. But why will devs take into account loading strategies if they aren´t doing it now when it is much more critical? I see it more probable for devs to keep doing what they´re doing and just use the wider bandwidth to stream more or more-intensive content, to a point that it may even get to offset the speeds of SSDs so we ultimately get a similar experience to what we have now (this is elucubration on my part). No new design principles will be developed to change how games load content even if the new standard are SSDs.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
because consoles aren't PC's? they've been in the dark ages due to cost cutting, so for consoles, and as a console player, it's going to be a big deal. the fact they'll be standardised within the hardware should let devs utilise it fully too.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after 5 years console gamers can finally catch up with PC gamers in terms of loading.
good for them.
Major publishers and Sony/MS first party studios move at a pace set by consoles, so this change will be an industry wide change. Even if the hardware has been available, so there's no catching up, its a change in approach for all of gaming.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? It makes quite the difference on PC.

I swapped from a classic HDD to M.2 and this shit is blazing fast. Windows boot in 10 seconds and loading are barely there in games.

ffmafia

Oct 28, 2017
I recently put my WoW install from my HDD to my SSD and Load times between zones/hearthing/porting went from 45 seconds on average or so to 10/11 seconds at most

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
One thing about the SSDs in new hardware is that it will make buying physical discs less onerous, as the install time will be reduced. You'll still have the inevitable day one updates, though.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
After I don't ex
Major publishers and Sony/MS first party studios move at a pace set by consoles, so this change will be an industry wide change for all of gaming. Even if the hardware has been available, console limitation mostly inform game design.

When people will understand this and Mike Ybarra talk about it and said people with SSD on PC will see things goes faster too without changing of SSD. People on PC with SSD will see some improvement on game made with SSD design compared to game without it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Well this is rich.

Unfounded, ignorant cynicism.

SSDs as the baseline have huge implications for game development. Games can literally be freed up immensely in how they are designed without always having to account for slow laptop hard drives that have been commonplace for over a decade. No more elevators. No more weird long corridors to hide loading. No more literally having to limit player speed because the game can't load in assets quick enough. Having an SSD today doesn't change design decisions made with slow hard drives in mind. With those out of the picture, things can change dramatically. Your actual experience can now change. Calling it nothing but a bullet point is astoundingly ignorant, which is like...really funny.

This makes you wonder if multiplatform devs actually do make console SSD's the baseline. Because if the game also needs to run on PC, you'd have to take in account the fact that the majority of PC's are still running HDD's.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Because it was one of the first bits of info Sony put out about PS5 and people fell for the hype.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It makes a big difference with PC rigs now, but it'll be more of a prominent feature with consoles because that will dictate the new baseline (since both NextBox and PS5 will feature one).

Instead of games being built for the ground up around traditional HDD's and then loading speed times with SSD being a side benefit, games will instead be designed specifically around SSD speeds, which could open up new opportunities and focuses in game design.

Side note, the rumours aren't just that the PS5 will have SSD, but that its speeds will be far higher than what is typical of SSD set ups in PC's today, so there's that too.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This makes you wonder if multiplatform devs actually do make console SSD's the baseline. Because if the game also needs to run on PC, you'd have to take in account the fact that the majority of PC's are still running HDD's.

No I don't think first gen games will be optimized for SSD, wait two years afer consoles release and we will see games made with SSD in mind.

EDIT: Out of exclusives game