• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
DAhjlt9XgAIScP5.jpg

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because up to WW they weren't written well or even acceptably? The scripts sucked, the characters sucked and the stories sucked. Simple.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of reasons.

I suspect the main one aside from having Zack Snyder be the architect for it is the mismanagement of WB heads who have no idea what makes a good superhero film.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
A collection of movies that were not critically received well. It sounds simple but make good movies should be step one.

You can delve deeper into it about how it failed at that... but that's kind of the core of the issue.

**This is under the assumption that failure is WB abandoning the super connected DCEU/JL and going with stand alone films.

(and I absolutely love Man of Steel, top 5 CBM for me personally)

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Zack Snyder has never gotten the point of the stories and they gave him the key to the kingdom

I loved Watchmen as a movie but even there he missed the ultimate point, in the end.

If they had him in charge of the action bits and someone else that actually was capable of a 'bigger picture' or more narrative focused, well

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam all have been great. Let's just hope they can keep up the momentum.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well the movies outside of a couple aren't that great, but I don't think they were "failures" exactly but people are going to compare them to the MCU and the big problem there is I feel that Marvel is far more popular than DC to the average person outside of probably Batman. Like my wife who hates anything that has to do with video games, comics, fantasy settings knows who way more people in Marvel are than the two she can probably name from DC.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Putting Zach Snyder, a man who has a very nihilistic view of superheroes, in charge of their entire cinematic universe probably wasn't a smart idea.

That said, between WW, Aquaman and Shazam they appear to be finding their footing now. With Reeves' Batman film, Gunn's Suicide Squad, WW84 and Birds of Prey all on the way they seem to have a healthy slate for the next couple of years.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The producers mainly.

It's honestly quite a feat how all the Marvel movies are solid/entertaining at worst.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
1) Zack Snyder
2) WB seeing Avengers 1 make a billion and rushing straight to a team up movie

Zack Snyder is a hack who only understands surface level storylines and he basically comes across as the most stereotypical Frank Miller Batman fanboy. And, despite WB trying to get a Justice League movie off the ground during the Bale Batman era, it was incredibly apparent that WB wanted to rush to a major shared universe team up movie after seeing Marvel make bank with The Avengers. The DCEU could have been a success if they course corrected after Man of Steel, instead they doubled down on those issues and built an entire cinematic universe around poor interpretations of their most popular characters.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman and Justice League all are bad movies, WW, Aquaman and Shazam are much better but still not enough to keep it going.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
People at Warner Bros thought that making the DCEU 'grim & gritty' universe-wide was a smart idea to differentiate themselves from the more jokey MCU. Big mistake. That should have been done on a per-character basis.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The DC heroes don't work as well in a movie format. Marvel works because it's somewhat comical, DC seems to take itself super seriously and taking a comic book movie seriously seems quite difficult I think.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It's just Superman, really. The problem is Superman is the foundation everything else was built on, so it's exceptionally hard for the good work that's done to properly course-correct. The DCEU would probably be fine if they'd just done a hard break after BvS and said "everything else is in a new universe".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They're not very good. Even WW would be a mid-low tier MCU film and that's the best they have.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I have never liked Superman and I'm guessing that's the reason I liked Man of Steel. Didn't really care if it was right or wrong for him to kill and basically destroy half earth against Michael Shannon, but I I had a lot of fun watching the fights, so yeah.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Its mixed film wise

Man of Steel -Decent, with some bad funny and some epic moments
Batman vs Superman- Overlong, jumbled, saved a bit in the directors cut but is then LONGER, depiction of certain heroes not what people wanted
Wonder Woman- Saw it for the second time, I still think its great.
Justice League- I didn't/don't think ANYTHING about it. It was that bland. I feel/felt nothing
Aquaman- Not up to wonder woman standards but it's got a great cast and charm to carry it. They kept it simple stupid and the movie is better for it. A bit too long.
Shazam- Haven't seen it yet :/

I hear the TV shows are better on a whole.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Because WB was too afraid to stick with the laid out plans. Absolute worst case scenario, JL2 would have come out this year, finishing Snyder's five movie arc and WB could have changed course/tone/whatever from there and kept the same actors while having an established universe.

Instead it's pretty clear at this point WB/DC don't know wtf they're doing. They're simply hoping the solo movies will continue to be successful and well received.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Some individuals can not find the love for Man of Steel in their hearts and that's why we deserve more tragedies like Sins Past.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
what is the context of this?
Zack Snyder giving a demo on how Superman should kill the villain of the movie. Some deeper context behind the scene as a whole is that Christopher Nolan and some other people at WB were actually super against Superman killing Zod and Snyder basically kept inventing scenarios that would force Superman to kill until Nolan & company ultimately gave in. Snyder ultimately just wanted to see Superman off someone.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
They're not very good. Even WW would be a mid-low tier MCU film and that's the best they have.

I think that's okay without the legitimately bad Man of Steel/BvS basis, though. Like, Thor was not an exceptionally good movie. You don't need every single movie to be an out-of-the-park homerun if you've got a strong foundation to work from, they just need to be passable while developing the overarching narrative.

The problem was they had a weak foundation which meant no one was interested in the overarching narrative to begin with.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
DCEU fails because it doesn't have RDJ, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Jon Favreau, Samuel L. Jackson.

I know a lot of people hate the stories and writing, but I honestly believe the cast itself is bad and the core problem.

Nolan's Batman movies was awesome because he had fantastic actors in it.

But this Justice League group is mostly awful, save Gal Gadot and Jason MoMoa.

Supes Cavill sucks.

Batffleck sucks.

Lex Eisenberg sucks.

The entire Suicide Squad sucks.

Bad casting is a big problem.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first few films were kinda terrible, and WB so badly wanted to rush to the big team-up movie with JL that they completely missed that they need to make competent movies beforehand. Also didn't help that Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash were all introduced in a movie that was arguably the worst of the bunch, so those who didn't see it went into JL not knowing half of the cast, never mind knowing any of their backstory at all. It was a rushed, disorganized mess.

Now that they've moved to what appears to be stand alone DC films, they have improved quite a bit in quality.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
As someone previously stated in the last DCEU thread:

"Can y'all just leave the DCU alone?"

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
They went straight to JL after two movies. We should have had the origins for WW, Cyborg, Aquaman, and Flash before the JL movie, not after