• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gflTuwL.gif

First post was spot on but damn this really sums it up

even the ones people enjoy like Aquaman and Shazam look terrible. Can't understand why people would want to watch them.

Wonder Woman is legitimately one of the best cape flicks of all time. It's also a pretty damn good WW1 and Greek Mythology film in its own right as well.

But Patty Jenkins is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest of their filmmaking choices.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched it again recently and while I love the first half I don't think the second half is very good and the ending is really bad.

I loved the ending, but I guess I'm in the minority. I was really let down when it played like it wouldn't end with a showdown between Diana and Ares... and when it did I was ecstatic (I love WW2009 the animated film). And their fight was awesome to me. Better bad guy than most cape flicks.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"People continue to live in their effing dream world" when they say DCEU is a failure and talk crap about Zack Snyder, who's visual imagery and the way he treats characters is something that other CBM creators are afraid to try!
Zack Snyder is shit. Like, I'm all for a superhero movie where Superman is seen as an unstable alien god and all, but Batman vs. Superman is just a trash movie.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They picked a person who does not like superheroes, but likes dark edgy power fantasies, as their main architect. A person who reads comics but somehow does not understand them and only sees the surface. You know, the director of Sucker Punch.

I watched Sucker Punch a few days ago because when it was in the theatres, I missed its run and it looked neat.

Absolutely terrible movie.

Zack Snyder, why?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is some humour to be found that the Shazam! director actually forgot to put the DCEU Logo into the film.

It's a shame that Shazam! is the best one of the bunch and it's also the one people watched the least.

But they'll roll out for Aquaman though so we are possibly geting a likely to be terrible Trench movie later down the line. Thanks for that I guess. I can assume it will bad considering I've seen what WB has done to The Conjuring.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Scripts sucked, director sucked, actors sucked (except JM and Shazam ones), and so on.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
A big reason it failed for me personally, is that they thought Doomsday and The Death of Superman would make for a good starting point in the universe, when it should have been the culmination of their "phase 2 (or 3)" equivalent. Just another casualty of their Veruca Salt "I want it now!" approach.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
MoS and BvS sucked.

JL is the funniest comedy of the decade, entirely by accident. Its legit my guilty pleasure and I've seen it more times than quality Marvel movies.

WW, AQ and Shazam are good. I like Aquaman best of all.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
There are a multitude of reasons, really.
-Terrible management from WB such as not releasing the Ultimate Edition of BvS in theaters, and instead releasing a choppy mess with huge plot points cut.
-The entirety of Justice League... mandatory run time under two hours, reshoots with mustachioed Superman, fired director resulting in terrible green screen and unfinished CGI.
-One major casting mistake in Jesse Eisenberg.
-Suicide Squads costume design

I am a fan of DC comics and I still enjoy the movies with all these problems, but it's hard to say I haven't been disappointed with how WB has handled it all. The last Aquaman and Shazam were both incredible though so hopefully they are back on track. Joker looks interesting and I want to see what Birds of Prey will be.

Ben Affleck was the best on screen Batman. It's a shame we will never get to see him up again Deathstroke.

May 9, 2019
The DCEU was being treated as an elseworld which was the first wrong step.

1. Why would you start the DCEU with an older Batman? Do you know how many money making stories they skipped over? This was by far the dumbest idea. Can you imagine multiple movies leading up to Under the Red Hood? Money would've been flowing out of WB pockets.
2. Putting Wonder Woman in the time piece genre was a mistake and takes away a lot from her mythology. It was a success but look at the retcons they had to do to her character already.
3. Superman was just divisive and split the fanbase which wasn't what he needed.
4. Adapting two stories that require years of development and continuity knowledge from both Bats and Supes was idiotic and supports my first point. Both these stories are endgame stories.
5. Hiring directors with poor vision. David Ayer was at a fault the minute he tried to make a movie out of the New 52 SS. James Gunn so far is smart enough to take cues from the Post-Crisis 80s run which is still the only good SS run.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
And how do you establish a DC Universe without a solo Batman film? Made casting Ben Affleck a mistake too, imo, just because of his age. They already had to recast their biggest movie property before he got his own film.

Well, based on what we know now, the original plan was just BvS -> JL1 -> JL2 -> JL3 which would have a post-apocalyptic Earth, so it's very unlikely they'd have new movies at this point. They didn't seem to be expecting their "shared universe" to go beyond 5 years or so.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BvS being poorly made and the antithesis of fun was a massive blow to the DCEU. With that said, after WW, Aquaman and Shazam I think that DC movies are in a much better place now than they were a year or two ago.
The directors for their upcoming films have better track records than in the past, so it'll be interesting to see if they can turn things around in the next two years.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wonder what else you want to know about how the DCEU failed.

BvS being poorly made and the antithesis of fun was a massive blow to the DCEU. With that said, after WW, Aquaman and Shazam I think that DC movies are in a much better place now than they were a year or two ago.
The directors for their upcoming films have better track records than in the past, so it'll be interesting to see if they can turn things around in the next two years.
Every time i see your avatar, I keep thinking how awesome it will be to have a movie starring them.