• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I've played quite a bit of Monster Hunter and really like it. I was watching a stream and the person playing couldn't stand the lock on and how it didn't stay on the monster. I couldn't think of a good reason why but maybe there is one. Is it just like that to make the combat feel more involved?.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It' because the person playing had the lock on set to target cam instead of the full lock on. By default the lock on keeps the camera focused on the monster.

Brau

Senior Artist
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I only use the lock to reset the camera to the monster. Don't depend on it. Even when using now or guns.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Because you'll get the Dark Souls problem when you inevitably end up between the monster's legs and your camera freaks out.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Like in Bloodborne, using the camera lock is a really bad idea. Melee combat up close with huge monsters and a camera lock is a recipe for motion sickness.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The lock on is like that because paying attention to your surroundings is just as important as knowing where the monster is.

Also, don't use the lock on. Just rely on your own ability to move the camera.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
There's no reason to use lock on, it was only a feature due to 3ds not having an extra analog stick to control the camera.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't suggest using the lock on, but that's just me. I find that it harms more than it helps.

Yep I'd actively suggest against it. It was only introduced as an antidote to The Claw on systems without a right-stick and I've seen a fair few complaints from beginners about lock-on that could straight up be resolved by turning it off.

RippleField

Nov 13, 2017
Because you fight monsters which are much larger than your character and are frequently dashing and flying and flailing in all directions, you want to be aware of what it's doing at all times but keeping it locked into the center of the screen would make the game hell to control in most situations, the optimal solution is to manually turn the camera where you need it and have a button to quickly turn towards the monster when you lose track of it.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
Target lock on is really good for monsters with lunging attacks in multiplayer hunts. Snapping onto the monster after it's jumped across the screen (nerg) with target is much faster than using the right stick.

Oct 25, 2017
Because it was never supposed to have a lock on, and people asked for it anyway. Manual camera control is as important as moving your character in MonHun.

Yep I'd actively suggest against it. It was only introduced as an antidote to The Claw on systems without a right-stick and I've seen a fair few complaints from beginners about lock-on that could straight up be resolved by turning it off.
Right stick still does not allow you to attack, move and move camera at the same time though. In terms of having full control of the game, the claw still is superior.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I absolutely abhorred the lock-on camera when I played the beta, because I felt like I had zero control over my positioning or being able to see my surroundings relative to the monster and my position, something that's extremely important in a MH game, especially when you want to target specific parts.

The target camera, also available in the game, is definitely the more superior option as it allows quick focus to where the monster is, but doesn't wrest control of your positioning and camera movement from you. And honestly it's way preferable to having to keep controlling the camera with the right stick all the time too.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The target camera is where its at.

It allows you to find the monster but it doesn't make the camera spaz when you are fighting underneath it or the monster is bouncing around frantically. The game benefits from being able to control your direction so a rotating camera can really wreck your ability to move around and aim at where you want to it. There might also be instances where there are multiple monsters and you need to control the camera in such a way that you can be wary of both while maintaining full control of you character's movement without fear of left turning into right as a monster leaps over you in an instant.

I always miss the target camera in From's games.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I agree with most posters here that it's better to not use lock-on at all, *except* for if you're using the insect glaive. Makes all those air combos easier to control without you having to readjust the camera on the fly.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
MHW has locking?
j/k, but really, only use it to focus camera as you need to target individual body parts of the monster yourself anyway :)

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Go with the target camera which just centers the view on moster once, and use right analog is the best way to play.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lock on is shit in MHW, so i never use it (thank god for a second analog stick). I preferred it in previous MH games.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played MHW, but generally you shouldn't rely too much on lock on. You need to focus on the specific part of the monster that you want to break

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with most posters here that it's better to not use lock-on at all, *except* for if you're using the insect glaive. Makes all those air combos easier to control without you having to readjust the camera on the fly.
I can see that but now I have gotten used to it and I wouldn't want it on the ground. Not that I spend much time on the ground. I feel you have more control in the air as well. The last combo hit for example you want to hit so you land in a safe spot. Not in front or beneath the monster.

Rivuz

Oct 27, 2017
Lock on is shit in MHW, so i never use it (thank god for a second analog stick). I preferred it in previous MH games.
You can change it from the options menu to be like it was in previous mh games. With R3 you choose which monster to follow, then with L1 the camera will just quickly turn toward it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then the full lock is garbage and doesn't stay on the monster.
You don't want it to. Target lock is the correct way to play.

I'm really not being elitist when I say that either. You'll find the game to be far easier with manual camera control and just tapping L1 to re-center on the monster as needed. With full lock on it's super difficult to work out your positioning.