• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say, I didn't want to romance anyone in Andromeda, and then I simply... didn't.

Funny because I just played Andromeda earlier this year and as Male Ryder, none of the female crew members appealed to me outside of the human interest so it was definitely more of a stretch than the original 1-3 where I romanced Tali and then Jack (who they gave one of the worst romance endings too in the game šŸ˜”).

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bioware's games have too many romance options already, it's like no one is in a relationship and they just wait for the protagonist to start courting them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, you made your troll thread too obvious now

For what it's worth, incels being mostly white is in the second line on Wikipedia.

Incels (a portmanteau of involuntary celibates) are members of an online subculture[1][2] who define themselves as unable to find a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one, a state they describe as inceldom.[3] Self-identified incels are largely white and are almost exclusively male heterosexuals.[4]

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering you can do the lesbian girl as a male Vivienne should be a little more poly.

That's not true. Sera will not let you romance her if you're a guy. She's strictly into women.

Like Inquisition has moved pretty firmly away from making everyone bisexual or romanceable no matter what, they're pickier than ever where they might not romance you depending on your race even :

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You are completely missing the point again

Or do u not understand where I as a black person am coming from or you just don't care
Er, I was pretty much defending your opinion, OP. I'm saying there should be an effort to make worthwhile black female romance leads, unless you specifically and ONLY are talking about Vivienne, which didn't seem to be what the original post was about.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Er, I was pretty much defending your opinion, OP. I'm saying there should be an effort to make worthwhile black female romance leads, unless you specifically and ONLY are talking about Vivienne, which didn't seem to be what the original post was about.

I thought I was clear about that but if I wasn't my bad

Her being the only black woman in the game and being most games they are underrepresented in especially as Romantic options

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
"A black female character displaying agency and expressing clear preference?! Not on my watch! She should be wholly subject to the whims of me, the mighty player. That would be way more progressive you see."

If the thread title had been "Can we talk about Vivienne?" And OP had bloated his first two posts into an 800 word essay, hitting the exact same points, I doubt you would have responded like this. Since it's not spelled out for you, it's easier to just dismiss as a bad thing.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
as a brazilian i'm sure i'm ignorant about what people outside here consider black or not (and fully aware i'm considered black to anyone else, which is great by me) but wouldnt josephine count as a black romance option anyway? she sure doesnt look white or even "mixed" like isabella to me

vivienne is her own person with her own romances. you still have an option with Josephine (and she's pretty great), unless you don't consider her black in which case tough luck i guess.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
In DA 2 characters actually had no preference and you could just romance anyone regardless of gender. Gives the player more choice but can also carry some unfortunate implications about sexual preference being a choice.
No you couldn't, both Varic and Aveline were companions that were not romanceble, heck, Aveline even specifically chose to romance someone else that she uses you to try and setup. ANd the devs have stated the romance options in DA2 are not playersexual but canonically bi. 4 Bi people existing isn't that weird.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"A black female character displaying agency and expressing clear preference?! Not on my watch! She should be wholly subject to the whims of me, the mighty player. That would be way more progressive you see."
Since we're pointing out how this post is bad, I'd also like to highlight that you framed this as if the OP is trying to present themselves as progressive by promoting issues they don't care about, the OP nakedly shows that the OP is motivated by personal connection and interest:
I just bought this game not to long a go and I was kind of excited to see a black woman as part of the story and ally

As a black man I wanted to make her my characters partner in the game to find out I can't is a big wtf

It annoys me because almost every other character in the game has that option

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
In DA 2 characters actually had no preference and you could just romance anyone regardless of gender. Gives the player more choice but can also carry some unfortunate implications about sexual preference being a choice.
Or y'know, they're bisexual
none of the romanceable party members display a clear preference when it comes to gender expression

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No you couldn't, both Varic and Aveline were companions that were not romanceble, heck, Aveline even specifically chose to romance someone else that she uses you to try and setup. ANd the devs have stated the romance options in DA2 are not playersexual but canonically bi. 4 Bi people existing isn't that weird.
Four Bi people isn't weird but when they're the only romance options and never mention their bisexuality in dialogues it sounds a lot more like a retcon from biowares site.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
as a brazilian i'm sure i'm ignorant about what people outside here consider black or not (and fully aware i'm considered black to anyone else, which is great by me) but wouldnt josephine count as a black romance option anyway? she sure doesnt look white or even "mixed" like isabella to me

vivienne is her own person with her own romances. you still have an option with Josephine (and she's pretty great), unless you don't consider her black in which case tough luck i guess.

I too am curious as to how OP regards Josephine as a POC romance option. Don't get me wrong, OP's "I should fuck whomever I want in my video game!" stance is easily not a healthy one, but it's still interesting how ethnicity might be factoring in here.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
You were never able to romance every character in a DA game. These romances are quest lines that cost time and resources to make, they can't make every party member an option. It would be pretty stupid anyway, since it would make the game a harem simulator where none of the companions could have their own story.

That was a response to the complaints after Origins where people wanted same-sex options, and probably also a result of the game being rushed (easier to make everyone bi than make separate gay options). Many complained about that. Then they made straight, bi and gay characters in Inquisition. They listened, and did their best to include different sexual orientations in the game.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
What are you quoting

Why give me the option to increase my approval rating with her

You give gay people their option to romance why not black people . You and a few other posters are trying to push some false narrative I think
I'm not quoting, I'm falsely paraphrasing to make a point.

The game has a character who you don't get to bump pixels with. There are sound reasons for this. She's in love with someone else and she has very clear preferences on who she considers worthy of her attention. This ties in with her overall demeanor and personality and gives the character a sense of agency.

However you say that since the character in question is a black woman they should take that agency away from her so the game can have a bangable black woman.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If the thread title had been "Can we talk about Vivienne?" And OP had bloated his first two posts into an 800 word essay, hitting the exact same points, I doubt you would have responded like this. Since it's not spelled out for you, it's easier to just dismiss as a bad thing.

Well if the OP realized there is a plot reason for her lack of interest in the MC and not thrown out the whole "I should be able to fuck her if I want to" the thread may have drifted in the direction OP claims to have been going for

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been fun if you could romance her, but just never be able to succeed. Would have been more realistic.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Well if the OP realized there is a plot reason for her lack of interest in the MC and not thrown out the whole "I should be able to fuck her if I want to" the thread may have drifted in the direction OP claims to have been going for

There goes that false narrative again and putting words in my mouth

Keep trying tho

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I guess that's a very important point to determine, and I'll plead a lot of ignorance on that since I come from a very mixed family (including a Brazilian stepmother).

I think my view was more "African" black, with ethnically African features related to lips, nose, eyes, and hair, of which gaming has struggled with in general. I know a lot of games (especially in create-a-characters) just feel that giving you a few generic face options and a "sliding" skin shader is enough to count as representation, especially if they just use those same tools on NPCs. Done poorly, it's just a tan, or borderline blackface.
22668-9-1489435866.jpg

(it's a start...)

That might be a different discussion for a different day, though. A LOT of studios have done excellent work making characters that are clearly defined by ethnic features and traits, rather than just defaulting to a "default" model and just making the skin darker.

I know that, from my playthrough of Origins and DA2, I never really saw Isabela as black, but I did see her as a darker skinned woman of color (if that makes sense). Someone else could very well disagree with me on that. I know when I saw Vivienne, I clearly saw her as a very prominent, well-designed, and ethnically realized black woman, compared to almost everyone else in the whole game.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Four Bi people isn't weird but when they're the only romance options and never mention their bisexuality in dialogues it sounds a lot more like a retcon from biowares site.
-Isabela is bi (down with a foursome of different genders) in DAO
- Fenris it is heavily implied that he had a sexual relationship with his former master (though that's not consensual so it's iffy on this one) and can have sex with Isabela if you don't romance either of them.
-- Anders flirts with you in DAO Awakening (I know he does it if you are a woman, don't know if same for a man) and also has a former lover that turns up in DA2 that was his teacher and a man.
-Merril is just sweet and seems pretty innoccent so it's hard to point out if she even has a sexual history previously.
All those characters have shown some bi preferneces (apart from Merril who doesn't show either way previously) outside flirting with the player character. It's not really playersexual, as they don't turn straight or gay by the player characters choices, they are still bi and have history.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I'm not quoting, I'm falsely paraphrasing to make a point.

The game has a character who you don't get to bump pixels with. There are sound reasons for this. She's in love with someone else and she has very clear preferences on who she considers worthy of her attention. This ties in with her overall demeanor and personality and gives the character a sense of agency.

However you say that since the character in question is a black woman they should take that agency away from her so the game can have a bangable black woman.

No what I am saying that as a black person why isn't she a option to romance while other sexuality s have one

You are absolutely wrong in what you think

As a black person I feel I do not have representation while others do

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
-Isabela is bi (down with a foursome of different genders) in DAO
- Fenris it is heavily implied that he had a sexual relationship with his former master (though that's not consensual so it's iffy on this one) and can have sex with Isabela if you don't romance either of them.
-- Anders flirts with you in DAO Awakening (I know he does it if you are a woman, don't know if same for a man) and also has a former lover that turns up in DA2 that was his teacher and a man.
-Merril is just sweet and seems pretty innoccent so it's hard to point out if she even has a sexual history previously.
All those characters have shown some bi preferneces (apart from Merril who doesn't show either way previously) outside flirting with the player character. It's not really playersexual, as they don't turn straight or gay by the player characters choices, they are still bi and have history.

Anders is a playboy in Awakening. He talks about his "women and wine". That was a retcon in the second one. His whole character was kind of weird in the second one because he was possessed by Justice I guess.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There goes that false narrative again and putting words in my mouth

Keep trying tho

Here you go chief

That's still bull to me she should be an option to romance for the playable character

Now I am forced to romance other people who I don't care about

Shes not interested in you, and you think that doesnt matter and you should be able to do it anyway. "I'm not owned, I'm not owned" and all that jazz

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Here you go chief

Shes not interested in you, and you think that doesnt matter and you should be able to do it anyway. "I'm not owned, I'm not owned" and all that jazz

Ignoring you because I have awnserd this over and and over again

I will not play into this false narrative read the thread and my replies to people who think like you

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I guess that's a very important point to determine, and I'll plead a lot of ignorance on that since I come from a very mixed family (including a Brazilian stepmother).

I think my view was more "African" black, with ethnically African features related to lips, nose, eyes, and hair, of which gaming has struggled with in general. I know a lot of games (especially in create-a-characters) just feel that giving you a few generic face options and a "sliding" skin shader is enough to count as representation, especially if they just use those same tools on NPCs. Done poorly, it's just a tan, or borderline blackface.
22668-9-1489435866.jpg

(it's a start...)

That might be a different discussion for a different day, though. A LOT of studios have done excellent work making characters that are clearly defined by ethnic features and traits, rather than just defaulting to a "default" model and just making the skin darker.

I know that, from my playthrough of Origins and DA2, I never really saw Isabela as black, but I did see her as a darker skinned woman of color (if that makes sense). Someone else could very well disagree with me on that. I know when I saw Vivienne, I clearly saw her as a very prominent, well-designed, and ethnically realized black woman, compared to almost everyone else in the whole game.
I think even BioWare have stated that the problem with DAO and DA2 was that there were severe problems with lightening in engine, which meant that sometimes the skin colours were really wack as well. If you look at Isabela in DAI multiplayer she does look a lot more like she's more ethnically black.
latest

If we go by the lore she's got the same ethnic history of coming from Rivain (which is were Vivianne's family is originally from) but doesn't know who her father is, so she could be mixed.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I think simply asking for more black romance options would have gone over better than you asking to be able to romance a woman who clearly has no interest in you but another person. From that angle, I get what you are saying and I agree with you.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really confused by how people are trying to spin the OP.

I understand and agree. It's a problem in fantasy games and representation. It's more that there aren't very many black or other POCs in these games. It makes Vivienne stand out.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring you because I have awnserd this over and and over again

I will not play into this false narrative read the thread and my replies to people who think like you

Eh dont worry about the ignore, this was a low effort troll thread anyway and you clearly weren't looking for discussion

"Representation in romance options for straight black men is very bad in Bioware games" would have generated discussion, but hey that took me 3 seconds to come up with and time is money

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
OP, I think simply asking for more black romance options would have gone over better than you asking to be able to romance a woman who clearly has no interest in you but another person. From that angle, I get what you are saying and I agree with you.

How many games give black people romance options. My op clearly states that I point out being black as a main point

These people trying to make this into something it's not are strange. It's probably mostly white people projecting in this thread

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it, honestly. You're upset you can't fuck the only black woman in the game? I mean, sure, be upset there isn't a more racially diverse cast but this just seems ... idk.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Crazy. Hopefully the posters feel good telling a real person he can't look forward to more representation in a game because the digital character isn't into him (the team coded her to not have a romance option).

This is a healthy and normal perspective.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
I thought I was clear about that but if I wasn't my bad

Her being the only black woman in the game and being most games they are underrepresented in especially as Romantic options

The underrepresentation of quality, non-token POC in games is absolutely a conversation worth having.

It's also not the conversation that was presented in your (now edited) OP and subsequent replies about being "forced" to romance other people. It may be what you meant, but don't go complaining about false narratives because folks reacted to what you said and not what you meant.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
No what I am saying that as a black person why isn't she a option to romance while other sexuality s have one
If you've played the game then you know why. Her having clear preferences is a part of her personality and her being interested in someone else is a core part of her story.

That's why. It's pretty simple.

I 'unno. Maybe it's just your phrasing. If your post had been simply "I want a bangable black woman in Dragon Age/Bioware games" then I would have happily dismissed it as regular thirsty gamer stuff, but hanging the whole thing on the one character who happens to be a black female displaying character agency... yeah, little bit weird. Not super weird. Maybe 1/3 of an eye-roll weird.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
The underrepresentation of quality, non-token POC in games is absolutely a conversation worth having.

It's also not the conversation that was presented in your (now edited) OP and subsequent replies about being "forced" to romance other people. It may be what you meant, but don't go complaining about false narratives because folks reacted to what you said and not what you meant.

Well I as a black person cant romance another black person in a game so if I want to use the romance option to see how it works or plays out
then I have to try it on other people

While every other sexuality , race and preference has there's

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I just bought this game not to long a go and I was kind of excited to see a black woman as part of the story and ally

As a black man I wanted to make her my characters partner in the game to find out I can't is a big wtf

It annoys me because almost every other character in the game has that option

Late entry for the entitlement of the year -award.

"This character should be interested in my character in a video game because I think so".

That is both sad and incredibly... sad.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Because she thinks she is too good for you. She's high and mighty and that's her character.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
If you've played the game then you know why. Her having clear preferences is a part of her personality and her being interested in someone else is a core part of her story.

That's why. It's pretty simple.

I 'unno. Maybe it's just your phrasing. If your post had been simply "I want a bangable black woman in Dragon Age/Bioware games" then I would have happily dismissed it as regular thirsty gamer stuff, but hanging the whole thing on the one character who happens to be a black female displaying character agency... yeah, little bit weird. Not super weird. Maybe 1/3 of an eye-roll weird.

Nah you are interpreting it wrong and I've noticed a lot of white incel projection in this thread

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Because she thinks she is too good for you. She's high and mighty and that's her character.
Bingo - she's also aiming to become Divine which is why she joined the Inquisition in the first place. She wants power, and the Divine is a position were you have to be celibate, she's not going to risk her chances of getting it by the rumours of being the Inquisitors' side piece.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well I as a black person cant romance another black person in a game so if I want to use the romance option to see how it works or plays out
then I have to try it on other people

While every other sexuality , race and preference has there's

As a black dude, I hear where you are coming from. But also, fuck Vivienne she's basically the house nigger. It's why my Inquisitor always clashes with her. She'd see the oppression of mages continue because she's able to carve out a nice piece of power for herself. I really dislike her.

That's not to say she isn't excellently written.

Because Vivienne is the worst person in Thedas after Loghain.

Someone else knows what's up.

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory Generalizations
As a black dude, I hear where you are coming from. But also, fuck Vivienne she's basically the house nigger. It's why my Inquisitor always clashes with her. She'd see the oppression of mages continue because she's able to carve out a nice piece of power for herself. I really dislike her.

That's not to say she isn't excellently written.

Someone else knows what's up.

Yea I think most POC know where I coming from mostly white people out of touch on this one with their incel culture

I have been noticing slowly her attitude sucks but haven't beaten the game yet liking it so far

Status
Not open for further replies.