• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
That their decision matters more, especially when most video games design female characters for men. It can be nice to have female characters not designed for men. I'd like their opinion on whether or not it would change too much about Vivienne for them to be changed for a romance option for guys which is what you seem to be suggesting. Also, you said black people agree with you in this thread and I would actually like to hear the opinion of black women.

I would to and I hope some would speak their opinions whether they agree or disagree

OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Deepthought_ I think you should calm down a little bit bruh. You have a legitimate complaint but the way you go about arguing with people who disagree is a little trash. Just cause some people don't agree doesn't mean they don't understand.
And trust me I get it cause I wanted to romance Vivienne myself, but I also enjoyed that she wasn't having it. She's doing her own thing.
Either way other black people are out here in this forum, you shouldn't feel like you need to keep it in. Just don't expect unanimous support, even from ERAs black community.

I'm not saying all of them would agree with me but a lot have shown that they see where I'm coming from and it's not in a bad way as some posters have tried to sell it

We are not a monolith but I feel they would understand me more even if they disagree. I have disagreed with some other black posters on things but I don't think they are wrong or trying to come off in a bad way

Just different views

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I would to and I hope some would speak their opinions whether they agree or disagree
The thing is as a woman I did appreciate Vivienne's story of being an independant woman achieving power without any real shame on her own. But I also understand that it's good to see more romance options of your own ethnicity, specially as female characters tend to be designed as "white" to be seen as desirable. So it would be really good to have a black women's opinion on it, as they'd probably have more experience to see both sides, and she is a character designed for them.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying all of them would agree with me but a lot have shown that they see where I'm coming from and it's not in a bad way as some posters have tried to sell it

We are not a monolith but I feel they would understand me more even if they disagree. I have disagreed with some other black posters on things but I don't think they are wrong or trying to come off in a bad way

Just different views
I understand you. But I just didn't care because Biowares romances are usually bad anyway.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We've been able to romance elves and qunari and all manner of aliens, but not a black woman.

This is one of those issues that goes to lack of diversity in the writing room. Writers walk into the room with their own biases, they are supported by other writers with the same biases so the needle doesn't move on certain issues, even though if the original concept called for all the scripted "white" characters to be black and the black character was white even with the exact same game script, all the same options, art direction, dialogue...etc. the game would have bombed and the lack of a romancing option for the only white woman in the game would have been highly scrutinized online in public.

I mean look at how Andromeda got roasted and the various race baiters that popped up out the ground on that.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
5 pages and no mention of the true missing romance crime....where's Scout Harding?!?!?!

I sympathize with the OP. There is a derth of black female characters in gaming to begin with and I can't think of too many that are portrayed as romanceable by the player character at all. We have Alyx Vance but there's no agency involved. We are also talking about a demographic that have a stigma of being portrayed as "not pretty" or "undesirable" which I think is a problem as well. the other side of the coin is they can get objectified as some sort of exotic fetish that often happens with Asian and Hispanic women as well. there just needs to be more representation of black women in games in a more positive light.

Dec 18, 2017
Despite all their pretenses at progressiveness, I don't think anyone at Bioware actually cares enough about black people to make one properly romancable in their games.

There was Jacob in Mass Effect 2, but he ended up cheating on Femshep. Amazing representation for their sole black male companion so far.
I always forget that happened, and always think it was a bad internet joke when I see it. Jesus, BioWare.

Status
Not open for further replies.