• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

For those of you in Firewall Land.

I remember it wasn't that hard. That wasn't my suggestion. My mother did that. I somehow remember the reason that is probably because Joe Hisaishi told her the importance of putting the name on the media, and she took that seriously. And also, SEGA accepted that readily.

So Sega was super chill about it and Kushiro's mom was demanding! Sweet story, huh?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Ancient is a family company. His mother Tomo Koshiro co-founded it, and his sister Ayano Koshiro does character and graphic design.

May 21, 2018
I always reasoned it was there because his music was absolutely staggering for its time. It's a 'warning' to the player (which indicated that Koshiro was about to engage in an aural assault on you, the player) -- and one you'd never forget.

Thankfully now, we have the true reason behind it. 😄

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Ayako Koshiro definitely has a lot of input in Ancient's overall design works, alongside her brother. The positions they hold in the credits roll are less set-in-stone than you'd expect.

Anyway, it's good that SEGA valued his individual worth as a musician, seeing as it helped both of them in the long run.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, how does this grimy techno soundtrack keep getting sweeter and sweeter?
Check out this interview with Ayano explaining the design of SoR2 if you never read it before:
shmuplations.com

Streets of Rage 2 – 2015 Developer Interview - shmuplations.com

Yuzo Koshiro’s lasting contribution, the Streets of Rage 2 OST. V. Imagining Streets of Rage 4 —If someone told you you could have carte blanche to make a Streets of Rage 4, what kind of game would you make? Koshiro: 4? (laughs) —Anyway you wanted it. (laughs) Koshiro: Really? And what if I said I’d

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
ActRaiser's music is better than Streets of Rage anything.

We need to talk about that more.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Always so cool that it was such a family affair for them back then making those games. Mother knows best and all that hah!

Streets of Rage 1 title screen w/music

So damn moody and smooth. The entire series has so many tracks that were just mind blowing to me as a kid and definitely effected my musical tastes from very early on.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have always liked Yuzo Koshiro since his compositions for the first YS game I realized that the guy understand music for videogames in a level that not many composers could reach

That being said, he alwayd find a way to blow my mind, for example Im shocked on how well he arranged the psycho soldier theme for Smash, the composition was designed in a way that sas remniscent to 80's music, like the one from the original game, but still make it feel like it belonged to a modern game like smash

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
But why did the non Sega games, like Super Adventure Island and Actraiser, didn't have his name on the title screen?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I always thought they credited him like that because of how amazing the music was. The fact that the composer was mentioned on the title screen really stood out to me at the time and I was just a kid. I'd never seen a game's music referenced on the title screen, it actually made me pay particular attention to the soundtrack.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Because they weren't as bangin' as Revenge of Shinobi or Streets of Rage (although that's debatable about SAI, I fucking love that soundtrack).
Although I also prefer those MegaDrive soundtracks, I find Actraiser's ost heavenly. The best 16bit rendition of classical music style for sure.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Check out this interview with Ayano explaining the design of SoR2 if you never read it before:
shmuplations.com

Yuzo Koshiro’s lasting contribution, the Streets of Rage 2 OST. V. Imagining Streets of Rage 4 —If someone told you you could have carte blanche to make a Streets of Rage 4, what kind of game would you make? Koshiro: 4? (laughs) —Anyway you wanted it. (laughs) Koshiro: Really? And what if I said I’d

Thanks for the link, this is great stuff!

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
shmuplations.com

—Ah, you were the one responsible for Adam's disappearance?
Koshiro: Yes, that was me. (laughs) I don't remember exactly how it happened, but of course I asked Sega for permission first.

From that article. So we find the truth!