• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Heh history is often a mishmash of facts and accepted propaganda. At least the one widely disseminated. He's been branded a traitor by nationalistic interests and that assessment will live on in parts of the collective memory, irregardless of the facts.

Actual history is pretty good thank you. The meme arguments your uncle repeats isn't history. It's a random recieved narrative.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it multiple times. You're go to is framing this as just Russia vs US which is nonsense.

I'm failing to see how pointing out that book is hardly authoritative is rude. It's especially not rude given that earlier you told me to read a book and then offer that as your expert advice.

You can't posture as a dismissive expert and then offer trite like that up.

It is Russia vs the USA. Lol. Snowden is now a defector and probably feeding information to the FSB. He is a stooge of our adversary.

Sorry next time I'll recommend you read The Bew Tsar. I'm sure you'll find some degrading information about the author.

Nov 11, 2017
I don't think he's a hero, and I don't think he's a villain (based on the leak alone. ) I think a hero would do the right thing, do it prudently, and then accept the consequences. Knowing that accepting the consequences for his actions is part of the sacrifice, and to show his conviction that what he did was righteous. By running, I feel as though he has a sense of guilt or entitlement. And we don't really know what kind of asset he currently is or has been within Russia. History will judge him for the entirety of his actions.
If the consequences for doing something good are so extreme that most people wouldn't dare to do it, then the person who does is very brave and the law must be changed.

Nov 11, 2017
It's not about suffering, it's about obeying the law; the part we should all agree on that no one is above it. And not potentially turning yourself into a puppet for an adversarial government for the sake of some "liberty." Keep in mind there are those who have sacrificed their very lives for this country only to be forgotten time, let alone be called heroes.
I don't think we should set the hero bar at 'executed or imprisoned for life by his gov't'.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
What should be clear from this thread is the American state could do pretty much anything and as long as you frame it as anti-russia its populace will cheer it on.
Oh please. Russia is really irrelevant here. They are just doing what that always do, stand in front of something the US wants.

Again, not a single one of you has provided evidence for your assertions. This is the best you've got. Let me repeat this to you, not even your own state peddles the bullshit you do.

Basically.

I mean I don't have to provide evidence. A KGB general saying yes the FSB likely has their claws in him is good enough for me. And multiple US officials have said that they will likely extract data from Snowden. I don't care how many times you stick your head in the sand and repeat yourself.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about suffering, it's about obeying the law; the part we should all agree on that no one is above it. And not potentially turning yourself into a puppet for an adversarial government for the sake of some "liberty." Keep in mind there are those who have sacrificed their very lives for this country only to be forgotten time, let alone be called heroes.

Where care I find your other work? The Federalist? The Washington Examiner? The New York Times?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't have to provide evidence. A KGB general saying yes the FSB likely has their claws in him is good enough for me. And multiple US officials have said that they will likely extract data from Snowden. I don't care how many times you stick your head in the sand and repeat yourself.

"Likely".

If you want to claim something as fact there has to be evidence for it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
By 'the russians', do you mean a dude that has been living in the US for over 30 years, gave up intelligence of his own to the American government and has been an American citizen for over 15 years? Because i don't see how this guy represents the Russians or why his words are any more credible than Snowden's. Or how he has any knowledge of what the FSB is doing currently.

But even if we were to assume good faith and magical knowledge, it has nothing to do with whether Snowden intended to go to and stay in Russia or whether he was stranded there and had to make do. Which was my point in the first place, if you follow that exchange.

It's how the spy game has worked for decades. You get one of theirs they tell you everything they know and vice versa. You think they'd suddenly become wholesome with Snowden? When the Russian President is a former KGB officer? Seriously?

Oh and Eddie stayed in the Russian Consulate for a few days in Hong Kong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...37cf9a-0e39-11e3-a2b3-5e107edf9897_story.html

I guess he accidentally stayed there too, totally didn't mean to.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
"Likely".

If you want to claim something as fact there has to be evidence for it.

If you get a former intelligence operative of your enemy you pump him dry of everything he knows. It's been that way forever.

It's common sense, like not putting your hand on a hot stove.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
It's not about suffering

If it wasn't about suffering people here, including yourself, wouldn't have mentioned it. Obviously to some extent it is.

it's about obeying the law

He already broke the law in releasing these documents did he not? So what you're saying is that you can't break the law ever so he just shouldn't have gotten into this situation.

Liberalism, and all political theories since the 17th century, have been based on resistance theory. Liberalism was created by an intellectual in exile. The state you're in was created because some rich guys were upset that they weren't considered full gentry and fought against that with arms against their legitimate state.

the part we should all agree on that no one is above it.

Bad laws should be ignored. Liberals only pretend to not think this because most of the laws they think are bad have already been dealt with.

And not potentially turning yourself into a puppet for an adversarial government for the sake of some "liberty."

I'll take the state treating its people better over games of geopolitics thanks.

Keep in mind there are those who have sacrificed their very lives for this country only to be forgotten time, let alone be called heroes.

How is this relevant at all? Meanwhile, I'm not too interested for sacrificing, again you're bringing up suffering, for a country. I think helping people is more important than helping a state.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actual history is pretty good thank you. The meme arguments your uncle repeats isn't history. It's a random recieved narrative.

I should have clarified. The generally accepted narrative is indeed what i meant. The utter destruction of Native American legacy and way of life is a clear and present example of what history written by only one of the parts involved looks like. There is a plethora of documentation showing the struggles of the native peoples, but what good does it serve outside of the historian circles? For all effects and purposes, their voices and historical perspective have been mostly erased.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never said that it was fact. Its a consensus at this point. Maybe he should come back and clear his name?

So there are no established facts and you've just decided to peddle the propagandised version because "consensus". Great stuff.

If you get a former intelligence operative of your enemy you pump him dry of everything he knows. It's been that way forever.

It's common sense, like not putting your hand on a hot stove.

He handed all documents to journalists. He didn't take anything with him when he left Hong Kong.

Was he interviewed by Russian authorities? No doubt. Is he working with them and/or did he hand over files? There is zero evidence to suggest that he has done.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I should have clarified. The generally accepted narrative is indeed what i meant. The utter destruction of Native American legacy and way of life is a clear and present example of what history written by only one of the parts involved looks like. There is a plethora of documentation showing the struggles of the native peoples, but what good does it serve outside of the historian circles? For all effects and purposes, their voices and historical perspective have been mostly erased.

Saying lol history is written by the victors actually exacerbates the anti-intellectualism in the popular reception of the past.

History proper is written by skilled and philosophically oriented scholars doing good work. We should be telling people to listen to the field, not lumping historians in with Bill O'Riley.

And I've been on this site and GAF long enough to know that is more or less how people think here.

Meanwhile, if you don't think popular narratives about native peoples pretty much everywhere in the West have gotten better in the last 30 years or so I don't know what to tell you. And that's all percolated down from Anthropologists and Historians.

Oh please. Russia is really irrelevant here. They are just doing what that always do, stand in front of something the US wants.

Uh, did you understand what I wrote? It had nothing to do with Russia and everything to do with popular framings and how Americans think about things. Russia itself doesn't matter.

Regardless of what you're aware of doing, that's basically what you, and most Americans, do. I kept on telling you that you can't reduce this down to Russia Vs America and all you could do was respond with that's all it is.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Snowden is a Libertarian.

There are no Libertarian heroes.

Libertarianism is an ideology devoid of moral force and has adherents who are mostly comprised of asberger's and autistics whose sole concern is the misguided application of order on a chaotic universe.

That's not a slam, but an accurate description - those types of people enjoy the wishful thinking of simple and clean systems in a world filled with grey and ambiguity. It explains why most of them become computer scientists or enter technical fields and avoid biology or literature.

Really?

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
But, he wouldn't. He's a White College educated probably Rich Male. A few years in a cushy White Collar Prison. Manning was tortured because she was in the Military. The US doesn't execute spies.
Yeah Snowden's case is beyond high profile and he has a good amount of support. This notion that something is destined to happen to him within the US prison system is unfounded.

So there are no established facts and you've just decided to peddle the propagandised version because "consensus". Great stuff.

No, I'm saying there's good reason to believe he has had info extracted from him because most relevant minds on the topic agree that he has likely had info extracted from him.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are certain topics here on Era where the liberal atmosphere of this place goes out the windows and nationalist colours start shining through, those threads where you can tell who's American and who isn't with precise accuracy of 90% or more. And usually I avoid those threads.
But in the case of Snowden, it's just disheartening to read these comments about someone who sacrificed his freedom to pull the wool from American eyes, yet people who should better now would rather retreat back into their blissful ignorance and cling to the warm comfort of the surveillance state that was proven to violate their rights in unthinkable ways.
Baffling, but sadly not without historical precedence.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
What? He's able to turn himself in literally at any time. There's no hindsight bias. It has nothing to do with staying there then. What about now?

The hindsight bias is in your understanding of what he could have done at the time. It's absolutely there, because your argument about what he should have done hinges on what you think would have happened to him based on how other things have played out since then. Obviously what has transpired since, see the incredibly hostile attitude in this thread, just makes it clear that he really can't go back now. Can you imagine reading this thread and returning. People are calling him a terrorist.

There are certain topics here on Era where the liberal atmosphere of this place goes out the windows and nationalist colours start shining through, those threads where you can tell who's American and who isn't with precise accuracy of 90% or more. And usually I avoid those threads.
But in the case of Snowden, it's just disheartening to read these comments about someone who sacrificed his freedom to pull the wool from American eyes, yet people who should better now would rather retreat back into their blissful ignorance and cling to the warm comfort of the surveillance state that was proven to violate their rights in unthinkable ways.

I'm absolutely sure there are plenty of Americans who don't support this. The issue is that Americans will be near 100% of those that do support it.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. A martyr acts with the desire to be made to suffer to get their message across.
A hero does what's right regardless of the consequences that action might bring.
A normal person acts either with the intention of avoiding those consequences or without thinking at all.

Snowden fly on the knowledge that He won't have a fair trial, because the ones which were willfully breaking the law as He expose were the same people which controls the "justice". He made the right decission, both revealing and leaving.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying lol history is written by the victors actually exacerbates the anti-intellectualism in the popular reception of the past.

History proper is written by skilled and philosophically oriented scholars doing good work. We should be telling people to listen to the field, not lumping historians in with Bill O'Riley.

And I've been on this site and GAF long enough to know that is more or less how people think here.

Meanwhile, if you don't think popular narratives about native peoples pretty much everywhere in the West have gotten better in the last 30 years or so I don't know what to tell you. And that's all percolated down from Anthropologists and Historians.

You really are reading a lot of things i'm not saying.

I agree that history proper is doing great work. But the vast majority of people does not care or has access to it. I agree that more people should be reading it and learning from it. But proper history is not what's being sold to people. Facile, misinformed tv 'history' and whitewashed, romanticized school books are.

And history is, to a certain extent, written by the victors. As far as the collective narrative is concerned.

And you're most probably right on your last point, which doesn't negate entire centuries of whitewashing and erasure.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
because fuck obama for now handling it properly and calling him a traitor for uncovering surveillance on massive scale

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If it wasn't about suffering people here, including yourself, wouldn't have mentioned it. Obviously to some extent it is.
I mentioned it because you mentioned it. Suffering is a strange term. Your words. I do not want Edward Snowden to suffer.
He already broke the law in releasing these documents did he not? So what you're saying is that you can't break the law ever so he just shouldn't have gotten into this situation.
I'm saying this is a complicated situation and requires a lot of nuance. It's possible to break the law to do something good. But the part of the law that should be indisputable is that you answer for what you did, at the end of the day. You don't turn your back on it, especially if you hold firm to the righteousness of your actions. Is it not possible both break and follow the law? Like you said, follow the good parts, fight the bad.

I'll take the state treating its people better over games of geopolitics thanks.
I think you're misinterpreting this part. I put liberty in quotations because he avoided consequences in the US to have some relative "liberty" or non-consequence within Russia. I wasn't putting down America's liberties as an acceptable write-off. I'm pondering why he found it acceptable to potentially be a pawn in a state with contradictorial values towards those same civil liberties he wanted to protect; rather than face the American justice system.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
The hindsight bias is in your understanding of what he could have done at the time. It's absolutely there, because your argument about what he should have done hinges on what you think would have happened to him based on how other things have played out since then. Obviously what has transpired since, see the incredibly hostile attitude in this thread, just makes it clear that he really can't go back now. Can you imagine reading this thread and returning. People are calling him a terrorist.

I'm absolutely sure there are plenty of Americans who don't support this. The issue is that Americans will be near 100% of those that do support it.
What are you on about? No, I'm not talking about what he should have done then. I'm talking about what he can do now. Again this is not as black and white as you want to make it seem. Hell I'm not even sure a grand jury would convict him unanimously for his crimes.

Snowden has support from all over the world. He could still get the book thrown at him but there wouldn't be any state killings or any of that other nonsense you all keep trying to convince people of.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do get a laugh at the notion that Snowden would get a fair treatment from those he 'betrayed', while being roasted and branded a traitor in a liberal forum like Era.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I mentioned it because you mentioned it. Suffering is a strange term. Your words. I do not want Edward Snowden to suffer.

And yet, as I pointed out you again refer to some need for him to be pained by the process for it to be legitimate. It's been throughout the thread, I'm putting it that way because that's exactly the sentiment here.

He needs to suffer for the cause to be legitimate is clearly what a lot of people, including yourself in that post, have advocated for in one way or another. You may not want him to suffer, but whether or not he suffers clearly is important for how you're thinking about this.

I'm saying this is a complicated situation and requires a lot of nuance.

I agree, subject yourself immediately to the state and always accept what it does really doesn't smack of nuance to me.

But the part of the law that should be indisputable is that you answer for what you did, at the end of the day.
Which is why all the founding fathers were hunt for high treason correct?

You don't turn your back on it, especially if you hold firm to the righteousness of your actions. Is it not possible both break and follow the law? Like you said, follow the good parts, fight the bad.

Why not turn your back on it. The law isn't good because it's the law. The law is good when it's good because it's good. It has no intrinsic value. Every modern ideological system accepts this at some level.

Again all of liberalism is based on this. It was essentially made by revolutionaries that overthrew states because they knew the laws were bad and thus should not be accepted. Mindless kowtowing to the authority of the state is one of the bad laws.

I think you're misinterpreting this part. I put liberty in quotations because he avoided consequences in the US to have some relative "liberty" or non-consequence within Russia. I wasn't putting down America's liberties as an acceptable write-off. I'm pondering why he found it acceptable to potentially be a pawn in a state with contradictorial values towards those same civil liberties he wanted to protect; rather than face the American justice system.

Did he pick to go to Russia? Even then it's a question of one man's personal life vs the possible benefit for millions.

I agree it's unfortunate but America controls the state system made up of states that aren't as bad as the others. He wasn't safe there. Just because one state system is better than the others doesn't make it good.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
You really are reading a lot of things i'm not saying.

I agree that history proper is doing great work. But the vast majority of people does not care or has access to it. I agree that more people should be reading it and learning from it. But proper history is not what's being sold to people. Facile, misinformed tv 'history' and whitewashed, romanticized school books are.

And history is, to a certain extent, written by the victors. As far as the collective narrative is concerned.

And you're most probably right on your last point, which doesn't negate entire centuries of whitewashing and erasure.

I'm not giving you any sort of intentionality. I'm pointing out what the effects of this kind of rhetoric are.

And most people have some access to academic history, and could have more access if the general approach to it and academics wasn't dismissive. It's the culture that's the key problem.

And obviously received narratives are from who wants to tell the story, as distinct from the victors see the Lost Cause, but conflating that with History proper is exactly what I think is a problem.

Meanwhile I'm not saying it negates anything, but it's only going to get better through academic means.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of surprised Trump hasn't pardoned him simply to go against the Obama administration's stance. As for Snowden himself, I'm glad he exposed the program, but also it's too bad he ended up going with another violent, oppresive, and even more authoritarian regime for protection.

Also, it's entirely possible to do something heroic, and turn around and do something destructive, or being a complete scumbag in other ways.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not giving you any sort of intentionality. I'm pointing out what the effects of this kind of rhetoric are.

And most people have some access to academic history, and could have more access if the general approach to it and academics wasn't dismissive. It's the culture that's the key problem.

And obviously received narratives are from who wants to tell the story, as distinct from the victors see the Lost Cause, but conflating that with History proper is exactly what I think is a problem.

Meanwhile I'm not saying it negates anything, but it's only going to get better through academic means.

I agree with pretty much everything here but i take issue with the bolded. While it's technically correct, as in most people do have access to the internet where all this information is located, illiteracy is widespread and takes many forms. Most people, on the other hand, do not have access to the educational and finantial means that would permit them to actually learn history (or anything else really) in a more formative way. And there's also the problem of people just not caring to learn. There's little incentive for people who are absolutely stuck in the lower classes to learn any of this, though a lot of the historical knowledge that people scoff at would serve them well when dealing with politics and economics, for example. Context is everything.

But this is way off topic.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Snowden's leaks revealed local authorities utilizing the US's surveillance system to pin people with petty drug charges which were supposed to be used against "terrorism."

This is fascinating to me. My understanding was you don't need to spy when you can just arrest them and plant the evidence afterward. Like bringing a knife to a checkers match

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Where else would he go? You can't go to a European nation on friendly terms with the U.S. without getting extradited.

Its par for the course really. Frankly you're going up against a wall when trying to reason with people on this subject. China and Russia, and by some extension their people, are considered 'enemies' of the West. It's like that line in George Orwell's book, "Oceania was always at war with Eurasia." So if Snowden sought refuge (asylum which is a basic human right) with said countries then he must be an 'enemy' and traitor as well since Autocrats rule there - that is literally the logic. You can see the drastic opinions on this too in thread but outside examples are (Steve Wozniak, Apple Co-Founder called him a hero; Al Gore says Snowden revealed crimes way more serious than Snowden committed; both the Washington Post and the Guardian were awarded Public Service awards by Pulitzer for information obtained by Snowden; in contrast former NSA and CIA chief Michael Hayden and Mike Rogers joked about putting snowden on a kill list, the NYT times called him a "thief", etc.).

As someone who considers myself 'leftist,' anti-war and believe in peace, decency, and human rights above all things, the current times and people's views on this subject I find pretty astonishing. One could extend this topic to Assange as well, since if he is extradited to the U.S. and prosecuted, it will send a message around the world that any journalist being handed information from organizations like WikiLeaks exposing state secrets will be on watch which has already become alarmingly common. (Trump's admin accidentally revealed charges against Assange, and his attorney's believe the charges are not about the 2016 election, but instead when WikiLeak's exposed U.S. war crimes in Iraq from information obtained famously by Chelsea Manning - more on that from this show by Abby Martin). Even Trump commented that the "death penalty" should be involved in regards to Wikileaks, which is pretty horrifying.

Also for anyone else on this subject, I recommend the documentary "Citizenfour" over the made up silly stuff in the Hollywood film "Snowden."

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Its par for the course really. Frankly you're going up against a wall when trying to reason with people on this subject. China and Russia, and by some extension their people, are considered 'enemies' of the West. It's like that line in George Orwell's book, "Oceania was always at war with Eurasia." So if Snowden sought refuge (asylum which is a basic human right) with said countries then he must be an 'enemy' and traitor as well since Autocrats rule there - that is literally the logic. You can see the drastic opinions on this too in thread but outside examples are (Steve Wozniak, Apple Co-Founder called him a hero; Al Gore says Snowden revealed crimes way more serious than Snowden committed; both the Washington Post and the Guardian were awarded Public Service awards by Pulitzer for information obtained by Snowden; in contrast former NSA and CIA chief Michael Hayden and Mike Rogers joked about putting snowden on a kill list, the NYT times called him a "thief", etc.).

As someone who considers myself 'leftist,' anti-war and believe in peace, decency, and human rights above all things, the current times and people's views on this subject I find pretty astonishing. One could extend this topic to Assange as well, since if he is extradited to the U.S. and prosecuted, it will send a message around the world that any journalist being handed information from organizations like WikiLeaks exposing state secrets will be on watch which has already become alarmingly common. (Trump's admin accidentally revealed charges against Assange, and his attorney's believe the charges are not about the 2016 election, but instead when WikiLeak's exposed U.S. war crimes in Iraq from information obtained famously by Chelsea Manning - more on that from this show by Abby Martin). Even Trump commented that the "death penalty" should be involved in regards to Wikileaks, which is pretty horrifying.

Also for anyone else on this subject, I recommend the documentary "Citizenfour" over the made up silly stuff in the Hollywood film "Snowden."

Yeah, Citizenfour is great, and a lot of why I'm sympathetic.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
He ran off to China then Russian and became a Russian stooge, he's just more indirect than Assange is.

Oct 25, 2017

What if it is a complicated situation where there is no clear right or wrong? Just a lot of actors all trying to manipulate world events? That is actually what historical precedence would suggest.

The main problem I have with the people who 100% defend Snowden is that they are simplifying things in a way that I see as extremely dangerous.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's how the spy game has worked for decades. You get one of theirs they tell you everything they know and vice versa. You think they'd suddenly become wholesome with Snowden? When the Russian President is a former KGB officer? Seriously?

Oh and Eddie stayed in the Russian Consulate for a few days in Hong Kong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...37cf9a-0e39-11e3-a2b3-5e107edf9897_story.html

I guess he accidentally stayed there too, totally didn't mean to.
Interesting. So maybe it wasn't so much of an accident that he ended up in Russia after all, he was already comfy at their consulate in China. Yeah, I'm not buying into the hero narrative at all. Dude was an asshole. I knew Wikileaks and Assange were doing some bs from the getgo, and I have the same sense for this guy.

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
Guy is a traitor.

People acting like he gets to stay in Russia without giving them anything is ridiculously naive. We've seen what Russia does to traitors or journalists who speak out against Putin.