• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Waluigi is too busy studying at home, accompanied by non-stop lofi hiphop playing in the background. Let him be.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Er, I was going to answer, "Because Jimmy T already exists and he's a superior 'look-alike' of Waluigi", but then I read Crushed post:

Waluigi is actually Jimmy T in disguise

Big red noses
Long thin mustache
Long limbs
Pointy shoes
Jimmy T is canonically wearing a wig and sunglasses, so we never see his natural eyes and hair
Old friends with Wario
Most of Jimmy's microgames are based on sports with the framing narrative being about dancing and partying, Waluigi is mostly defined by sports and party games and has only ever been an antagonist in a DDR game

Wario wanted a sports partner but didn't want to make it weird by having to explain his Diamond City crew to the Mario people, so Jimmy volunteered to blend in with the "Waluigi" persona, which is all an act where Jimmy imitates Wario. He just wears makeup over his nose and chin and shapes his mustache to point up.

wake up sheeple

And I can't help but like this theory. Lol

Waluigi like Daisy must be contained to Mario spin off titles like Mario Party, Kart or sports games. He must never escape his containment.
But Daisy originated from a mainline Mario(Super Mario Land) and appeared in another one recently(Super Mario Run). Waluigi proper seems to be currently stuck in the party/sports spinoffs.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I mean, WarioWare is Wario's job. Why would he bring his spouse to work?

Waluigi's got his own stuff to do in the day-to-day. They aren't codependent like Mario and Peach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDanimal

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
It that a joke thread
4799.jpg

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
OK, Theory Time.

Waluigi Is Don Flamenco from Punch Out. After his repeated defeats at the hands of Little Mac, he's now middle aged, years of boxing have taken a toll on his face, decided he needed to go blow off some steam. He ends up seeing his old friend Mario who used to ref some of his fights and joins in some tennis matches.

It was here that he met Wario and fell in love with the Cosplay lifestyle. He starts Cosplaying as a weird Luigi the same way his new buddy acts as a weird Mario. He's not part of their acting troupe, but he gets invited out to their sporting events.

He and Wario have a relaxed relationship. They do their own things and hang out and play sports when they both need to blow off some steam

screen-shot-2018-06-21-at-5-36-24-pm-1529617038.png

latest

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its because Waluigi has no education or experience in game development. He bombed his interview and also happened to be a bad fit for WarioWare Inc.'s workplace culture, so Wario had to show him the door.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the truth:

Nintendo has a quality assurance team whose goal is to make sure that all of the characters and worlds stay consistent. It was established after the early Wii era...people like Miyamoto noticed around 2009-ish that Nintendo contractors like Camelot / Alphadream / Intelligent Systems were getting a little too liberal with their interpretations of the Mario IP...so now they watch over everything and establish standards.

It's this team that prevents Waluigi from appearing outside of sports games.

Thank you for passing this knowledge on! I had a feeling something like this happened in the background, but it's the first I've heard of it.

Do you know if this quality assurance team has control over internal productions like Mario Kart? I was wondering if Diddy's absence in Mario Kart 8 would've had anything to do with it.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
It's strange because despite being paired up in sports games he isn't really Wario's Luigi equivalent. Is Wario and Waluigi related like Mario and Luigi? He has no presence at all in either Wario Land or Wario Ware. Wario's universe seems to almost exist entirely seperate from the Mario series.

I don't really mind this though. It makes Wario feel more unique that he is the main character of his own cast of characters.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure the game isn't called Waluigiware. It's not rocket science.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly WarioWare's entire cast and design is just a bizarre outlier in one hundred ways, is there even anything close to a mainline Mario series reference other than the fact Wario is Wario, but also some weird biker instance of Wario? I mean outside of microgame references, In-WarioWare-Universe, it's all this weird level of fan fiction bizarro world where Mario and any extended cast might as well not exist.

I love that WarioWare is technically part of the Mario universe. I'm still hoping that a WarioWare character shows up in a main Mario title one day. A great missed opportunity would have been Orbulon being one of the residents of the Moon Kingdom.

May 5, 2018
That quality assurance team post is a good answer as to why Waluigi isn't in Warioware.

Though I've always wondered why the Warioware characters are always cold shouldered in the Mario Spinoffs. I'm sure the quality assurance team is a good answer too because we got games Donkey Kong Country characters like Funky Kong in Mario Kart Wii and K Rool in The Wii Sluggers game. But those were in the mid to late 00's and that team has made sure to keep Mario characters in Mario games and Mario spinoff characters in their spinoff-verses.

I would like it if Nintendo was upfront on the Warioware/Mario connection (or lack thereof) by saying the Wario in the Mario games is a different Wario to the one from Warioware. Also they'd say Waluigi is his #1 man in the Mario verse but Waluigi, Mario, Luigi and the whole Mushroom Kingdom don't exist in the Warioware verse.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh most definitely. If you look at Nintendo credits very closely, you can spot them.

Here's Nintendo's quality assurance team for Warioware Gold:

5G9HAiy.png

(Thank these guys for no Waluigi in Warioware Gold)

Here's Nintendo's quality assurance team for Mario Tennis Aces:

egdhPex.png

And here's Nintendo's quality assurance team for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:

KAhfvks.png

You never used to see these kind of credits in older Nintendo games...because there was no desire to oversee productions for consistency. Early Nintendo (through the Wii / DS era) used to experiment a lot more with characters and worlds...now their brands are so valuable that they choose to rein in developers.

Wow, that's really unfortunate to see it happen. A lack of experimentation with the Mario IP has been really noticeable lately too. Character rosters are very conservative in spinoff games like Mario Tennis and the Mario RPGs. I'm somewhat amazed something like New Donk City even got approved for Mario Odyssey after hearing about this.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Here's the truth:

Nintendo has a quality assurance team whose goal is to make sure that all of the characters and worlds stay consistent. It was established after the early Wii era...people like Miyamoto noticed around 2010-ish that Nintendo contractors like Camelot / Alphadream / Intelligent Systems were getting a little too liberal with their interpretations of the Mario IP...so now they watch over everything and establish standards.

Do we know of any specific examples of Nintendo being unhappy with the interpretation of their characters?

I can't help but think of Smash Bros.'s odd interpretation of the Mario universe, such as post-apocalyptic World 1-1 or Giga Bowser. Either they don't mind, or Sakurai is too valuable to deny him anything.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Warioware is set long after Waluigi dies in a tragic pelvic thrusting accident where he thrusted himself off a cliff, and Wario is too depressed to play sports and go on adventures anymore

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh most definitely. If you look at Nintendo credits very closely, you can spot them.

Here's Nintendo's quality assurance team for Warioware Gold:

5G9HAiy.png

(Thank these guys for no Waluigi in Warioware Gold)

Here's Nintendo's quality assurance team for Mario Tennis Aces:

egdhPex.png

And here's Nintendo's quality assurance team for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:

KAhfvks.png

You never used to see these kind of credits in older Nintendo games...because there was no desire to oversee productions for consistency. Early Nintendo (through the Wii / DS era) used to experiment a lot more with characters and worlds...now their brands are so valuable that they choose to rein in developers as company policy.

Which role are referring to here? There have been character supervisors long before the Wii era. Yoichi Kotabe was the character supervisor for the first WarioWare game for example.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Here's the truth:

Nintendo has a quality assurance team whose goal is to make sure that all of the characters and worlds stay consistent. It was established after the early Wii era...people like Miyamoto noticed around 2010-ish that Nintendo contractors like Camelot / Alphadream / Intelligent Systems were getting a little too liberal with their interpretations of the Mario IP...so now they watch over everything and establish standards.

Well, nothing really changed in regards to Waluigi then.

Wow, that's really unfortunate to see it happen. A lack of experimentation with the Mario IP has been really noticeable lately too. Character rosters are very conservative in spinoff games like Mario Tennis and the Mario RPGs. I'm somewhat amazed something like New Donk City even got approved for Mario Odyssey after hearing about this.

Diddy is in Mario Tennis Aces, so it's not like they're that consistent. Forget about other DK characters though, as Donkey Kong Country is back to being a valuable brand. They didn't use DKC characters in Mario spin-offs besides DK back during the Rare era either.

And New Donk City has only name cameos.

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, nothing really changed in regards to Waluigi then.

Diddy is in Mario Tennis Aces, so it's not like they're that consistent. Forget about other DK characters though, as Donkey Kong Country is back to being a valuable brand. They didn't use DKC characters in Mario spin-offs besides DK back during the Rare era either.

And New Donk City has only name cameos.

What kind of shocks me about New Donk City though was that I thought Miyamoto had blocked the developers from using a DK cameo in Mario Galaxy 2?

I think Diddy has definitely been grandfathered into the Mario spinoffs after so many appearances since Gamecube. I don't expect the other Kongs again like you said.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell Wario and Waluigi were cock blocked by the quality assurance team in mario rabbids.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
You can tell Wario and Waluigi were cock blocked by the quality assurance team in mario rabbids.
Yeah it's so weird for Waluigi to be the mustacheless big brute one, and Wario the nimble and mischievous one. I guess they were going for height instead, and had to choose in the existing units anyway?
ww.jpg

Waluigi is a bit too unique so he has to be adapted to fit into other franchises. Would Waluigi fans still accept a "changed" Waluigi?
For example in Wario Ware he could be a fashion designer, or a famous theater actor, or a waiter in a french restaurant (the kind of jobs that would have the "tall thin weird man" stereotype in japan), drop the violent behavior in favor of another flaw like pedanticness or.pettyness or strictness.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
He's not a real video game character

He was created to fill out a roster in a party game. He might as well be a life-size cardboard stand-in

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the truth:

This is what I meant when I made my post, it wasn't sarcastic.
Thank you.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For example in Wario Ware he could be a fashion designer, or a famous theater actor, or a waiter in a french restaurant (the kind of jobs that would have the "tall thin weird man" stereotype in japan), drop the violent behavior in favor of another flaw like pedanticness or.pettyness or strictness.

In truth, Waluigi is a world-renowned spinal surgeon, with a PhD in multiple fields. It's precisely because of his wealth and social status that he's invited to play tennis with someone as famous as Mario, despite not being a famous hero like the others.

He views violence as beneath him, which is why he will never be in Smash.