• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair on console the platform tends to get better with each console lifecycle, so you don't see the same progressive iteration there.

I don't use Steam but on Playstation there's not actually a lot that I feel I want, that I don't have in terms of operating system functionality. I'd really like to be able to gift games to my friends, that seems like quite a rudimentary feature with obvious benefits to the platform holder, but that aside I don't want for much. If someone told me they were improving the sound track feature on PS4, I can't say I'd care. Maybe I'm being silly, but why would you even buy a soundtrack on these platforms and not a music distribution platform like Amazon, Itunes, or simply listening to them on Spotify?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Most don't really care to compete directly with Steam, they're just trying to carve out and maintain their portion of the market with minimal investment.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
What's the cut for steam on soundtracks? As someone else noted, many "smaller" ones often show up on bandcamp (buy the kentucky route zero soundtrack!), the cut on there is 15%.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Steam UI is a great idea but horrible execution for me, and it didn't address the biggest problem with the platform. And neither did the addition of a separate soundtracks section rather than soundtracks awkwardly being handled as DLC for their given game.

Steam has a curation problem. Valve aren't short of the cash to properly moderate their own platform and cull the masses of terrible asset flip games that hit their platform daily. The fact that some of the homophobic, sexist, racist content on Steam even manages to get through the net and onto the service is a disgrace.

Most of this stems from the admirable effort of Greenlight to attempt to open up game publishing to as many as possible. But it's clear neither Greenlight or its successor are working, and Valve are clearly unwilling to put the effort in to make them work and keep their platform consistently high quality.

And all of this isn't even going into the frankly ludicrous cut Steam takes from all game sales simply through the virtue of having a defacto monopoly on digital distribution.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Steam UI is a great idea but horrible execution for me, and it didn't address the biggest problem with the platform. And neither did the addition of a separate soundtracks section rather than soundtracks awkwardly being handled as DLC for their given game.

Steam has a curation problem. Valve aren't short of the cash to properly moderate their own platform and cull the masses of terrible asset flip games that hit their platform daily. The fact that some of the homophobic, sexist, racist content on Steam even manages to get through the net and onto the service is a disgrace.

Most of this stems from the admirable effort of Greenlight to attempt to open up game publishing to as many as possible. But it's clear neither Greenlight or its successor are working, and Valve are clearly unwilling to put the effort in to make them work and keep their platform consistently high quality.

And all of this isn't even going into the frankly ludicrous cut Steam takes from all game sales simply through the virtue of having a defacto monopoly on digital distribution.

You mean the same cut Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple and Nintendo take? Why do all these threads end up the same way?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I am by no means a fan of e.g. Origin or Uplay, because their UI is even worse than the already shitty Steam UI but oh boy have those stores improved over time.
GoG is improving constantly and even the EGS is in a much better state than it was even 12 months ago.
Origin and Uplay have been getting worse over time, from the perspective of someone that adds their games to Steam as "non-Steam Games" to take advantage of features like Steam Input (to use a controller of my choosing) and Steam Link/Remote Play (to stream to other displays).
They used to integrate fairly seamlessly, but now the experience is much worse. Origin even removed features that made it integrate well (quit Origin once the game exits).
EGS games used to work just fine without the client but now requires that games are launched via it directly.

Steam's most recent update only made the platform worse, if you want soundtracks try a music streaming service
Steam is horrible and feels and looks like a 2000s era store though. I actively avoid using it.
You forgot to say that Steam is "bloated" with features like these, and that you prefer more "lightweight clients" like EGS - even though EGS actually runs horribly on lower-spec systems, while Steam is fine.

EGS looks miles better. Steam's UI is really outdated outside of the new library layout. Even Uplay is cleaner and more modern.
Wait until you have more than five games on either service and you'll start to appreciate Steam more.
The EGS library is already terrible to navigate if all you did was claim the games they've been giving away over the past year.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
why would you want some music from Steam instead of wanting it to be available elsewhere...?

Anyway, I do feel other platforms have done many updates especially GoG

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
You mean the same cut Sony, Microsoft, Google, Apple and Nintendo take? Why do all these threads end up the same way?

EDIT: Okay, it's not worth arguing over. I don't need an anxiety trigger from people jumping down my throat because they disagree with my interpretation of a multimillion dollar gaming platform. Do and say what you wish.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair on console the platform tends to get better with each console lifecycle, so you don't see the same progressive iteration there.

I don't use Steam but on Playstation there's not actually a lot that I feel I want, that I don't have in terms of operating system functionality. I'd really like to be able to gift games to my friends, that seems like quite a rudimentary feature with obvious benefits to the platform holder, but that aside I don't want for much.
Steam has had gifting for a long time afaik. It's just restricted for cross region gifts so that people don't abuse region pricing.

Maybe I'm being silly, but why would you even buy a soundtrack on these platforms and not a music distribution platform like Amazon, Itunes, or simply listening to them on Spotify?
Amazon and iTunes don't offer lossless music and also can't include art/liner notes. The only comparable platform is Bandcamp and Steam is often a cheaper solution because of pre-order bundles, sales, etc. I'm not gonna go out of my way to buy a soundtrack on Steam, but for the ones I already have, this is a pretty big improvement in usability.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you have no other way to listen to music on your computer Steam can let you do that now...

I can't believe it took them this long to stop treating soundtracks like DLC to be honest. I'm always happy when devs allow more people to legally buy soundtracks for their games. (Although to be honest most people just take the music from the files lol)

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Steam specifically is the fact that the overwhelming torrent of games added yearly (9000+ last year alone) ensures lower discoverability for most indies and AA projects.

Steam's infrastructure and sales also promote a race to the bottom philosophy. Very few people buy games full price on Steam and many refuse to until the inevitable heavy sale discounting takes effect. For these developers it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Don't ever discount your game? Enjoy minimal profits that are eaten into by Valve's cut whilst your game sinks into the annals of history alongside the 98 other games released that day.

Discount your game heavily? Great, you sold more copies because now people are willing to fork over their cash. But your profit margins are now much lower, still with that 30% Steam cut eating into them.

Come on, really? There are a million ways of improving discoverability built-in into Steam. Most of the "asset flips" are effectively invisible to normal users since they don't get to the top new releases page. And all the stuff about race to the bottom, etc. can be found elsewhere. Indies having to discount their games to 1 dollar on the Switch in order to get featured, ring a bell?
Free games every week on EGS, leading to people just waiting for games to be free there instead of buying them. And the stuff about "very few people buy games full price on Steam..." would require some receipts if you have them, by the way.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Very few people buy games full price on Steam and many refuse to until the inevitable heavy sale discounting takes effect.

Uhm?
This is wrong on so many levels.

MHW base sales were huge at release and MHW Iceborn sales are still huge.

RDR2 is in the top selling list since its release and only had 20% off.

Daemon X Machina is in the top selling list as is the newest Dead Cells DLC.

Temtem was there at release.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Can't believe that this thread isn't about the Steam Music feature anymore.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Steam's infrastructure and sales also promote a race to the bottom philosophy. Very few people buy games full price on Steam and many refuse to until the inevitable heavy sale discounting takes effect. For these developers it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

This is nonsense, there are full price releases topping the charts all the time. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Maybe OP should have focused more on that instead of putting a ridiculous "steam is literally the only one updating their store!" disclaimer
This is the internet, people will latch onto the hyperbole first if there's one around and here we had a spicy one for sure.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Steam stagnated for years before early last year when Valve "for some reason" really started to hit the ground running.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
why would you want some music from Steam instead of wanting it to be available elsewhere...?
It downloads FLAC files to your PC. You can do whatever you want with them.
This update now makes soundtracks their own category rather than DLC items for games that you had to own first.
It puts them all in one location, adds better integration and a nicer display for albums, instead of having to manually pull the files out of the game directory.

But Steam stagnated for years before early last year and Valve for some reason really started to hit the ground running.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or trolling any more.

This is why so many PC gamers abandoned ResetEra entirely.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe OP should have focused more on that instead of putting a ridiculous "steam is literally the only one updating their store!" disclaimer
This is the internet, people will latch onto the hyperbole first if there's one around and here we had a spicy one for sure.
Well, here in ERA when someone makes a thread about a new Steam feature, it is mostly ignored.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
.The problem with Steam specifically is the fact that the overwhelming torrent of games added yearly (9000+ last year alone) ensures lower discoverability for most indies and AA projects.
Steam has over 40k games but when a game gets removed people notice right away, while on EGS Oxygen Not Included and EGS exclusive Paranoia gets removed and nobody notices for literal weeks.

Having significantly less games than your competitor doesn't automatically mean you'll have better visibility when your store's discovery tools are horrendous.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
But Steam stagnated for years before early last year when Valve "for some reason" really started to hit the ground running.

SteamLink 2015
SteamLink App for TVs 2017
SteamLink App for Mobile 2018

Proton 2018

New SteamChat 2018

SteamTV 2018

New Update of SteamPlay 2018.

Steam Publisher/Developer Pages 2018.

SteamVR 2015

SteamBroadcast 2014

Steam Controller Customization 2015

New 18+ Policy for the store 2018.

Sure. "For some reason (EGS) helped making all of that. All that stagnation.

In B4 "I do not use all of these features!"

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
They also charge for you playing online and do not tend to improve at Steam's rate. PSN discoverability is still very shit.

Yes, they charge for online play. That's kinda neither here or there though, when the point really is that they're all drowning in ecosystem money relative to the other publishers that are trying to stand up a platform late game against the foothold Steam already has.

They absolutely do improve at (and above) the rate of Steam however, even if the nature of the generational resets means that they can also lose some of the progression during generation changes. Steam's main two UI revamps (Big Picture and the recent UI refresh) were stuck in development seemingly forever, with not a lot to show for the time upon release. XB1 is on like, it's 4th major UI overhaul so far? Each with notable library and platform feature accompanying them.

There are definitely things Steam has pushed forwards on that the consoles lack, but this thread is citing something like sonudtracks moving from being DLC, to purchasable stand-alone. Meanwhile I can subscribe to a service and stream games direct to my mobile from either console platform without requiring my own hardware to facilitate it. There's stuff like Mixer being built directly into the UI seamlessly, with the ability to share the controls with your viewers. There's platform-wide LFG functionality for all games. Hell, MS even has Gamepass, plus Game Bar and a ton of other advancements on PC all materializing over the last few years from the ground up. To act like Steam is making all these major improvements within their ecosystems and other platform holders aren't comparatively requires being extremely selective.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Why do some people have such hard-on against options?
Yeah it's super weird. Reminds me bit of the Netflix on Switch discussion tbh "why would I want it when I can already use other devices for it?". Though personally I'd be more likely to listen soundtracks on Steam than watch Netflix with Switch. This seems like a fine addition, that will definitely get some use even if not from the majority of active Steam users. It's still another useful feature in the service for those who want it, nothing has been lost because of it. So the negativity is surprising.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until you have more than five games on either service and you'll start to appreciate Steam more.
The EGS library is already terrible to navigate if all you did was claim the games they've been giving away over the past year.

I have so many games on both. EGS design looks better. Steam is hideous.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure gloating that they are so far ahead of everyone is really a fair comparison when they have essentially an unlimited stream of money, and I would imagine quite a few employees to focus solely on Steam.

Epic Games has like 2-3 times more employees, Ubisoft has like 20 times more, EA has around the same, Blizzard like 10 times more... And guess what all of them have unlimited money like Valve. Shocking right :D

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I don't use Steam but on Playstation there's not actually a lot that I feel I want, that I don't have in terms of operating system functionality. I'd really like to be able to gift games to my friends, that seems like quite a rudimentary feature with obvious benefits to the platform holder, but that aside I don't want for much. If someone told me they were improving the sound track feature on PS4, I can't say I'd care. Maybe I'm being silly, but why would you even buy a soundtrack on these platforms and not a music distribution platform like Amazon, Itunes, or simply listening to them on Spotify?

Ask indie devs who don't get spotlight on console manufacturer events how they feel about console stores :D

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's super weird. Reminds me bit of the Netflix on Switch discussion tbh "why would I want it when I can already use other devices for it?". Though personally I'd be more likely to listen soundtracks on Steam than watch Netflix with Switch. This seems like a fine addition, that will definitely get some use even if not from the majority of active Steam users. It's still another useful feature in the service for those who want it, nothing has been lost because of it. So the negativity is surprising.

It's because of the framing of the topic id wager

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SteamLink 2015
SteamLink App for TVs 2017
SteamLink App for Mobile 2018

Proton 2018

New SteamChat 2018

SteamTV 2018

New Update of SteamPlay 2018.

Steam Publisher/Developer Pages 2018.

SteamVR 2015

SteamBroadcast 2014

Steam Controller Customization 2015

New 18+ Policy for the store 2018.

Sure. "For some reason (EGS) helped making all of that. All that stagnation.

In B4 "I do not use all of these features!"

Even your list has a giant gap from 2015 to 2018.

Yes Valve has done stuff. But I am just arguing they have suddenly done a lot of front facing stuff very quickly in the last year. And its been great to see Valve be more public and communicative.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Yes Valve has done stuff. But I am just arguing they have suddenly done a lot of front facing stuff very quickly in the last year.
A lot of the 2018 thing (and well current 2019 thing) is based on continuous improvement on some of the previous projects that keeps improving (such as Steam Link progression).

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Steam is the only PC-based platform that has consistently added features and functions that meaningfully improve the experience of gaming on PC. GOG is making an interesting move with Galaxy that has potential to do the same. Every other competitor seems content with the bare minimum of functionality while some of them can't even pass that lowest of bars.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
MHW base sales were huge at release and MHW Iceborn sales are still huge.

RDR2 is in the top selling list since its release and only had 20% off.
Regarding MHW, that doesn't mean all of those sales were directly from Steam, as the post suggested. I'm not claiming I'm in any majority but I certainly don't buy day one/pre-release games from Steam when I could get them up to 20% off elsewhere.

For RDR, I'm not sure if the top selling list only counts games bought from Steam directly or not.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea and have been wondering this for awhile. EA, Ubi etc have so much money while their platforms are terrible in comparison.

A30% cut is so huge a number I really don't think investing in your platform is a bad deal.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Lol, the title offended some people.

I agree OP, it's not even close. I don't care about soundtracks (at the platform) but Steam ecossystem is insane.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

Yes Valve has done stuff. But I am just arguing they have suddenly done a lot of front facing stuff very quickly in the last year. And its been great to see Valve be more public and communicative.
More like 2015 -2016

Jan(?) 2017 - Steam Input
Jun 2017 - Steam Direct
Aug(?) 2017 - OpenVR
Mai 2018 - Steam Link for Android
Aug 2018 - Proton

2017 was also the year we first got glimps of one of that quickly released stuff last year like the revamped library, cf
People weren't just clamoring for it, we have known about this update since at least early 2017 from both files in the beta cf :

and Valve presentation at Indigo 2017

It just got released at valve time, after the curator page got updated at the end of 2017 and the steam chat in June 2018.

It very much is a "coincidence" just like, say, Quantic Dream games coming to PC after EGS came to be.