• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a good looking SNES style JRPG by a major publisher. it also has great music.

I'm hoping OT was an experiment, because it's not a "great" game. It's a good game, and I have no regrets about purchasing it, but it could/should be so much better than it is.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all the main points. The game has a whole lot of stuff going for it. It succeeds on so many fronts that I think it will be regarded as a classic within a few years. Yes, there's stuff that could be improved, but that's generally true of every game that is 50+ hours.

Are people seriously pulling out the "SWTCH HAS NO GAEMS!" meme again? Seriously?

Thanks for doing god's work in here lol.
This shit is getting ridiculous.

There's always room to come up with insane theories on why a game on a Nintendo system is popular other than the game's actual quality.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Did I say otherwise?

well, you said "I see the "Switch has no games" warriors are already here.", & went on to quote over-all sales figures, so, in a way, yes, you kinda did. people are simply pointing out the fact that ot's benefiting from a lack of exclusives, which has nothing to do with how the switch is doing, overall :) ...

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's single player games in general, but JRPGs in particular have a passionate base of users and the vast majority of them buy the games at or very near launch. Legs of JRPGs tend to be very short.

Interesting, well thanks for the detailed response.

Anyway, I wouldn't deter anyone from picking this up, but I think the reviews were a little generous because the gameplay is great but the story and loop grew tiresome and began to impact my overall enjoyment.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Ocotopath Traveler is in the same situation Tales of Symphonia was on Gamecube. The system is starved for JRPGs and it came out at the right time when people wanted one.

Not really. Switch recently got Ys VIII and that apparently was the best selling version in a similar timeframe as the PS4 and Vita versions. I wouldn't be surprised if this also happened with Shining Resonance.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing and nostalgia. That's pretty much the combination now.

The writing's still poor, but I don't really expect good writing from video games anymore so, *shrug*

As a relative layman who's still played a number of classics, I'll call BS on that. J-RPGs, by and large, have always had serviceable writing at best, even the old ones, and many of them are essentially anime trope-land. Good writing in games in general is a fairly rare occurrence. Not every game is Fallout 2 (first example that comes to mind), far from it, especially in the realm of J-RPGs. I have enjoyed the story of some J-RPGs, but I've never played them for their writing, I'll tell you that much.

Also, let's not act like Octopath doesn't bring its fair share of modern systems and innovations. Its combat system wasn't the norm back in the day (beyond being turn-based), same for its story and character progression. Like yeah, there's Live A Live and... what? And it might be 2D-inspired, but it's drop dead gorgeous, using the latest engine and 3D effects. Just because it's got pixel art doesn't automatically make it a nostalgia-fest.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
It's always easy to create an excuse than to swallow the bitter pill that is Octopath Traveler is a great game, therefore people bought it.

Amazing music, beautiful graphics, open-ended JRPG trend-bucking aside, yeah, it only sold cause there's nothing else to play on the Switch?

Get real.

Square, We. Want. More. Of. These. Games. (Also, how about some Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Souls, Mana remakes? I'd pay top dollar.)

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's a great summary

the last point is so crucial. the battle system is so engaging because each encounter is like a test to see how far you can take a certain strategy.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Pretty good summary, Nintendo should just do the marketing of all of BD 11's games from now on ^^

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ocotopath Traveler is in the same situation Tales of Symphonia was on Gamecube. The system is starved for JRPGs and it came out at the right time when people wanted one.

I wish the system was starved for JRPGs 'cause then less competition. :)

For a system that only about 1.5 years old at this point, it has a crazy amount of JRPGs. It has two major first-party releases (Xenoblade 2 & Octopath) with a standalone expansion for Xenoblade 2 coming in a few weeks. It's getting some multiplatform games like The Lost Child and Atelier Lydie (i.e. these aren't ports because they're coming out on Switch at launch). It has ports like Ys 8, Disgaea 5. It has a ton of indie RPG support. Most platforms would kill to have this kind of support at this stage of their lives.

Do you know what JRPG support the PS1 had in the United States at the 1.5 year mark? Beyond the Beyond, Persona 1, and Suikoden 1. That's it. Now Suikoden & Persona are decent games that spawned much better sequels, but yeah, the Switch is well on its way to having one of the strongest JRPG libraries of any console to date.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so you're telling me calling a JRPG:

"Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel",
"Blade Arcus from Shining EX", "
"Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman",
"Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy",
"Kingdom Hearts II.8HD Final Chapter Prologue - Birth By Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage",
"
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth1"

may have worked against these games' favor???

Who could've seen that!!!

FAKE EDIT: Not a JRPG but who but the most hardcore of fans can even tell me by heart the names of the Guilty Gear series? How do you even pronounce Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2?? Christ!

I'm gonna assume that particular game's title is just tongue-in-cheek (I had to look it up to confirm it was real), but Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman might be the single greatest title in all of entertainment. It's a work of art by itself.

Though I've always been a fan of Infinite Undiscovery myself. And the entire Kingdom Hearts series is on its own plane of existence at this point. I've always loved solving fractions in my game titles.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Wow, all the subtle/stealth attacks on Switch in this thread

Well staying on topic, it did have a Demo which a lot of people played and for many they loved the game immediately, it's beautiful unique graphics/art style, the deep combat/gameplay, and it's on a popular system, so I think that about covers it for now ;)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree and I think the people thinking the game's repetition will sour people fail to see that the freedom is gives you as a trade off is much more valuable. Yes it's a shame there's not more interactions, or that the chapters progression feel samey, but I'm willing to bet the open ended nature of the progression is much more important in the eyes of the general consumer. Especially since the battle system is so good and you do all those tricks that make you feel clever.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the entire Kingdom Hearts series is on its own plane of existence at this point. I've always loved solving fractions in my game titles.
The biggest problem with Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days' name, besides it being difficult to remember, is how its supposed to be fucking pronounced! No one but the hardcore fans know. It is Kingdom Hearts three five eight slash two days? Is it Kingdom Hearts three hundred and fifty eight divided by two days? Is it Kingdom Hearts three hundred and fifty eight over two days? Is it Kingdom Hearts 179 days? Which is it!?

People just call it that KH game for DS.

I'm gonna assume that particular game's title is just tongue-in-cheek (I had to look it up to confirm it was real), but Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman might be the single greatest title in all of entertainment. It's a work of art by itself.
Personally I think "Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel" takes the cake. Qoga and Ar Ciel are made up words and Knell while is a word its just the onomatopeia of the sound of bells... its like they were trying to make a game title thats difficult to remember and write. And all of this on top of the name Ar Tonelico, as if it was easy to remember or famous enough by itself....

Last edited:

Majorgamer10

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I actually purchased the game after playing a pretty good demo experience, but what really sold me was how it let me finish out the part that I was at. It was such a tip of the hat that I just don't feel that often in such a tight lipped industry and seemingly paranoid industry. IS IT SECRET!!!? IS IT SAFE!!!!????

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
#2 is what did it for me. I'm far from a purist, as I honestly can't remember how many JRPGs I've completed in my 2+ decades of gaming, but I'm sure the number is under five. I do, however have quite an appetite for nostalgia and really really appreciate a developer nodding to the classics while evolving on their formulas in ways.

I really appreciate the "retro-plus" angle and, given the Switch's relative shortcomings in the power department, I think that is the niche that a lot of third parties should shoot for when exploring Switch projects.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
It's good to see old school jrpgs be successful in this day in age. I hope your game, cosmic star also did well!

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I think all of the points are spot on, but I do feel like some of the things the OP gives the game credit for aren't actually that great, but I agree with the gist of it.

Also, a couple of hours to unlock all of the cast? I'm like 10 hours in and only have 5 of the 8 characters. Although I got bored with the format so I went exploring into higher leveled areas, even then that only accounts for like 1 hour, maybe 2 hours.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The look and the gameplay of the game really gave me a FF3/6 vibe. That was enough for me to buy it.

I think it also benefits from being on Switch.

The Switch is the perfect console for rpgs. The hybrid nature and instant suspend/resume really makes it so much easier to pick up and play rpgs for short bursts. And you can plug it into the tv if you want a long ass session on the couch.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, you said "I see the "Switch has no games" warriors are already here.", & went on to quote over-all sales figures, so, in a way, yes, you kinda did. people are simply pointing out the fact that ot's benefiting from a lack of exclusives, which has nothing to do with how the switch is doing, overall :) ...
I would argue the Switch also does not have a lack of exclusives, unless games stop existing outside of their release months.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
As a relative layman who's still played a number of classics, I'll call BS on that. J-RPGs, by and large, have always had serviceable writing at best, even the old ones, and many of them are essentially anime trope-land. Good writing in games in general is a fairly rare occurrence. Not every game is Fallout 2 (first example that comes to mind), far from it, especially in the realm of J-RPGs. I have enjoyed the story of some J-RPGs, but I've never played them for their writing, I'll tell you that much.

Also, let's not act like Octopath doesn't bring its fair share of modern systems and innovations. Its combat system wasn't the norm back in the day (beyond being turn-based), same for its story and character progression. Like yeah, there's Live A Live and... what? And it might be 2D-inspired, but it's drop dead gorgeous, using the latest engine and 3D effects. Just because it's got pixel art doesn't automatically make it a nostalgia-fest.
Octopath is very much inspired by older jRPGs like SaGa Frontier (or really, the Romancing SaGa games more generally), and I can promise you that the nostalgia isn't from the lighting effects.

I played jRPGs for their writing up until about the end of the PS1 era. After that I was more pleasantly surprised if the writing wasn't a trash fire (and looking back on it, simultaneously realized that the writing for most jRPGs was... also a trash fire). And well, it's part of why I've largely abandoned the jRPG, and it's also why I find myself frustrated, constantly reading effulgent praise for b-movie scripts in video games.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It's currently tracking a bit under what Steam did in a similar time. So not a big hit, but on the other hand, for a year+ port, the extra sales is appreciated.
Shame it's not doing better. I'll definitely be getting it later this year, just have to clear my backlog a bit.

Hopefully it will have nice legs.

I think you hit the nail in the head when you said people don't want actual retro games, they want something to match their memories. Do you plan on doing something more like that in your next game in terms of presentation?

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Very well said. There's really nothing out there like it that I'm aware of and I'd love to see more new takes on old formulas. When done right it's like the best of both worlds.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being honest, it was the first time in more than ten years that I was satisfied with something from Square-Enix.

And it's funny that's something that resembles the old days from Squaresoft.
This device team has been cranking out magic for SE for almost a decade. The made the DS remakes for 3 and 4, and then they made 4 heroes of light (very underrated) and the bravely series. They do great stuff check it out. 4 heroes of lights pop-up book art style is great.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, marketing, production values being good for what the game is (voice acting, the game looking good), feeling like one of those games a lot of people are nostalgic for without having to have the same time commitment to play them... there is a lot of reasons for it to do well.

I wish the system was starved for JRPGs 'cause then less competition. :)

fuck
*rushes to the eshop*

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I would argue the Switch also does not have a lack of exclusives, unless games stop existing outside of their release months.
It's already been argued in this thread that Switch exclusives don't even count inside their launch month.

"of note"

Anyway, everyone should buy Octopath Traveler and Cosmic Star Heroine.

>complains about lack of JRPGs
>doesn't buy them anyway

YA'LL

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's currently tracking a bit under what Steam did in a similar time. So not a big hit, but on the other hand, for a year+ port, the extra sales is appreciated.
Good games will shine through, and I've heard nothing but good things about your game. I'm sure it will continue to perform well over time. I was going to wait for the physical copy, but I think I'm just going to go with digital of CSH.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
What else is there to get? Um, how about the other 5 games that are switch exclusive in the top 20.

5 out of the top 10, 6 out of 20 and the argument is what else is there to get? It's been answered. New people bought switches and bought octopath and some old games. Maybe it pushed them over the top. You always get to one game and it's one too many you can't overlook.

And Japanese RPG is such a distinct taste I don't think you can really convince people. They wanted it or were close to buying but I've overlooked many RPGs, drought or no.

I suspect switch has cultivated people who love Nintendo games and Japanese RPGs: the enthusiast crowd who will know abouy the latest 2d jRPG from square with no final nor fantasy in the title. Ain't really pressed for shiny shoot bang because they have a few ways to game.

Good for Nintendo. Shed their typical labels.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The look has a lot to do with it.

If this just looked like any other RPG Maker RPG, even if it was from SE, it would get nowhere near the attention it got.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Tennis is not an exclusive release of note despite topping the NPD chart in it's launch month, because it has Mario and it was expected to sell well.

This is what passes for logic and reasoning in this thread.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so you're telling me calling a JRPG:

"Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel",
"Blade Arcus from Shining EX", "
"Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman",
"Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy",
"Kingdom Hearts II.8HD Final Chapter Prologue - Birth By Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage",
"
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth1"

may have worked against these games' favor???

Who could've seen that!!!

FAKE EDIT: Not a JRPG but who but the most hardcore of fans can even tell me by heart the names of the Guilty Gear series? How do you even pronounce Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2?? Christ!

I believe it's more or less literally just "Guilty Gear Ex-Erd Rev 2"? It's surprisingly simple, unless I'm wrong, hah.

The biggest problem with Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days' name, besides it being difficult to remember, is how its supposed to be fucking pronounced! No one but the hardcore fans know. It is Kingdom Hearts three five eight slash two days? Is it Kingdom Hearts three hundred and fifty eight divided by two days? Is it Kingdom Hearts three hundred and fifty eight over two days? Is it Kingdom Hearts 179 days? Which is it!?

People just call it that KH game for DS.

Personally I think "Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel" takes the cake. Qoga and Ar Ciel are made up words and Knell while is a word its just the onomatopeia of the sound of bells... its like they were trying to make a game title thats difficult to remember and write. And all of this on top of the name Ar Tonelico, as if it was easy to remember or famous enough by itself....

It's "over 2 days", which is maybe the weirdest possibility.

I still say ZHP wins... but you can also just shorten it to ZHP. I remember it being annoying to buy, though; IIRC GameStop's site wouldn't give you it as a search result unless you actually typed "Z.H.P." instead of "ZHP"?

EDIT: nope I was wrong, your comment was apt, it's days over two

EDIT2: shit, it's "three five eight days over two", I'm not sure how I remembered it completely wrong

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty interesting analysis, thanks for the insight. I think the idea of making you feel smart, but it's actually intended by the game, is a good observation.

I'll add my own (serious) take: I think part of the game's success is that it hits a good balance of being anime but not too anime. It's anime enough and has enough cute girls that it will attract that crowd, which buys a lot of JRPGs these days. But it's not too lewd or tropey that it will put people off, like Xenoblade 2 (of course Xenoblade 2 did pretty well, but there's definitely a sizeable contingent of people who won't touch it because of its lewdness). I think Octopath Traveler hits a balance such that it can appeal to both groups of people.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's more or less literally just "Guilty Gear Ex-Erd Rev 2"? It's surprisingly simple, unless I'm wrong, hah.

It's "over 2 days", which is maybe the weirdest possibility.

I still say ZHP wins... but you can also just shorten it to ZHP. I remember it being annoying to buy, though; IIRC GameStop's site wouldn't give you it as a search result unless you actually typed "Z.H.P." instead of "ZHP"?

EDIT: nope I was wrong, your comment was apt, it's days over two

EDIT2: shit, it's "three five eight days over two", I'm not sure how I remembered it completely wrong
WAIT! So its actually Kingdom Hearts three hundred and fifty eight days over two? Days goes before "over two"? **checks** Holy shit you're right! I was trying to be funny by pointing out how no one but the fans know how to pronounce it so I wrote some common examples genuinely thinking one of those was the correct one. Turns out neither were! Wow!

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully it means people legit want more turn based jrpgs and thus none of them are stuck in localization hell going forward.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
People miss playing a good old school jrpg

Jrpgs for me are what made me love playing games

Last edited: