• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PGR 4, the racing game that was born and quickly forgotten. Many people aren't aware of what this game brought to the table for the racing game genre. Bizarre Creations punched above their weight, and I feel like now is the perfect time for people to realize what this game brought to the table.

Variable weather conditions (rain, storms, snow, ice, heavy fog)
Night Racing
Detailed Interiors
Arguably the most in-depth sound recreation in a racing game
High quality city-scapes and textures
Beautiful natural lighting
Various cars and challenges

Quebec, Canada
1258438259_5cceb3524e_o.jpg

1259284786_4909db0567_o.jpg

The game was built using high quality textures and high polygon models, but in 2007, the developers were not able to push the Xbox 360 to the limits that were found later on in the console's lifespan. Though, it is worth saying that the game was, and in many ways, still a benchmark for games. The game is crippled by low resolution.

I'm going to show you images directly from the Bizarre Creations Flickr, which are uploaded in beautiful high-resolution quality.

These cities were made using real world texture sourcing from the cities that were presented in the game which gave the cities a felling of authenticity.

Shanghai, China
1259161818_386af15069_o.jpg

1259154400_7d5bc42023_o.jpg

718273110_ff0bc57acd_o.jpg

499283848_2098d4cb04_o.jpg

1664926533_168b0d616b_x742.jpg

769209788_28454842dc_o.jpg

That's just a little bit of what there is to showcase. If this game were to receive XB1X treatment, we're in for a pretty amazing sight.

gifs:
pgr4486qzf.gif

pgr43dark8dxul0reo.gif

61jtkq0.gif

I hope this thread doesn't look like a request thread, though it kind of is. I'm just making people aware of this game.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
It's great, but has lots of hurdles keeping it from being put out today. Even more recent stuff like Forza 5 and Forza Horizon got delisted due to licensing expiring.

MS did amazing work to get things BC, but there will always be gaps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

ennzhed

Nov 2, 2017
France
It was my first 360 game and still one of my favorite arcade racer.
I desesperatly need a BC for this game.

However I wonder how this could be handled as (sadly) Bizarre Creations doesnt really exist anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game when it came out. So much work was put into it, it even had bikes.

Only.thing that disappointed me was the drop in resolution of sub-720p over 3, which gave it a much softer look.

In a lot of ways, Driveclub felt like a spiritual successor, obviously not as arcade handling wise.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Every PGR and Burnout game needs to be BC.

I'd pay anything to play Burnout 3: Takedown on the X.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Look at those beautiful stages, man. Look at that weather and BIKES.
Is there really no hope for this on BC?

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Can't speak for PGR4, but i remember playing the original back in the day on OG Xbox. It was mindblowing back then.

I wish this one would get the BC treatment. Never played it.

Yoday

Apr 8, 2018
It was my first 360 game and still one of my favorite arcade racer.
I desesperatly need a BC for this game.

However I wonder how this could be handled as (sadly) Bizarre Creations doesnt really exist anymore.
Bizarre being gone doesn't matter, it's an MS game, they hold the publishing rights. The trick is the music licencing. It will very likely never happen for that reason.

MacDragon

Oct 29, 2017
Probably more the car licensing than the music licensing, if they needed to music could be ripped out easily enough for a re-release, not so much the cars..

Though I think that's only for selling copies, I'm sure they could still do backward compat for existing discs.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Music licensing sucks, bring back original soundtracks for racing games!

I'm still pissed off that this game kicked me back to the main menu when my flaky internet dropped out.
I was in the middle of a race in the career mode!

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I love the PGR series. Bought the first one at the Xbox launch, got good at it when PGR2 launched and by the time of PGR3 I was in the top 300 to 3000 worldwide on most tracks. Then for some reason I skipped 4. Having it on Gamepass would be great, even if it's just to see if I can still race after all these years, I really loved the driving model.

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the keyed the red and black parts of the barrier to indicate the fastest racing line through the corners.

It was the only thing I remembered going to a post-mortem Q&A with the Bizarre team.

Nov 18, 2017
I've picked up another disc copy of this just incase, seeing the huge price increase of MW2 after that got a back compat update has me scared the same could happen here, if it ever gets supported.

One of the systems best racers and seeing how well Horizon 1 performed after the 1X update, the idea of this game getting one too has me drooling

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
I bought this game when I had Xbox One. I sold the console but the game is still there. Shame that there is no BC for it.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
The game was so good, the kudos system all the different challenges, bikes were even quite fun. Horizon is amazing but I really miss the more true arcade feel of PGR and the variety it had.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
PGR 4, or even 3, with X enhancements would look absolutely amazing. I need it and Midnight Club LA to get that treatment.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PGR4 had insane visuals for a relatively early 360 game. I'd love to see if running it on a higher resolution lives up to my memory of it.

And still, where the fuck is Ninja Gaiden 2