• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From Pokemon CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara during the Q&A Session.
The Let's Go games are the next step for players brought in by Pokemon Go to continue with the series, which s why the catching / interface models are the same. The 2019 game will move the handheld experience forward. We have been working on this game since before the Switch released and it will not be influenced by Pokemon Go.
Another statement via Forbes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ext-year-will-be-worth-the-wait/#7407835d4bee
The new title coming out in the second half of 2019 will be a completely different game from Pokémon Let's Go. It is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokémon series to look forward to.

The game will give a good understanding of what an evolved Pokémon game looks like after it has continued to succeed the traditions of Game Freak.

We want to make Pokémon fans say "this is what I've been waiting for" by delivering a brand-new product packed with gameplay elements and plenty of new Pokémon to encounter.
Q&A with Junichi Masuda via European press.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-borrowing-from-pokemon-go-and-lets-gos-story
Interviewer
How do you think the core RPG players will react to the Let's Go games? I know Pokémon Go was immensely popular but it had quite a mixed reaction amongst more 'hardcore' players - how do you appease those players and is it more a case that they should wait to 2019 for the game they're after?
Masuda
So the first thing I can say is that... I've been the director on the main series Pokémon RPGs - most of them, up until now - and there are a lot of kind of core tenets or rules of the series that I've never broke up until now, for example the whole idea of the flow of going into a battle against wild Pokémon, reducing their health and then catching them. That was one of the things that we just never wanted to change but, with these games specifically, I wanted to create a new experience for kids and with this time I decided to shift that towards more of a kind of casual, lighter experience. So that's one of the things I wanted to do.
All that is required is to read the bolded, so I hope this clears up any confusion on it potentially impacting Gen 8. It won't.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just the first quote would be enough to make people willingful to understand that they wouldn't have any impact. If they keep claiming so, it's because they don't want to understand, and have other objectives.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before, but given the last couple gens, I simply don't trust them. They need to earn that.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...he doesn't say that.

I also don't buy both games not borrowing features from each other. Co-op and that Pokéball accessory are so going to carry on to future games.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I believe most of us know about this already and yes, at the very least I know that Let's Go is an exception and not the rule. What concerns us about Let's Go is that it is part of a trend that started way back around XY more or less about dumbing down every aspect of Pokémon, it does not exist in a vacuum.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
You mean what they have been saying from the start is true, Pokémon isn't doomed to become a game for toddlers and people have been overreacting at everything and anything? Shocking.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just hope it's not simply a 3ds looking game. I want to see what a Switch Pokemon game can truly be .

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean what they have been saying from the start is true, Pokémon isn't doomed to become a game for toddlers and people have been overreacting at everything and anything? Shocking.
You'd be surprised at how many people seem to think this game will be influenced by Let's Go. It is pretty shocking, but also sad.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People have been complaining about the simplification of this series looooong before we knew about Let's Go.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, they for sure will use the same models in the next game, so dont expect the next one to look much better.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Based on Masuda's comments, Sun and Moon probably isn't an entry game in his terribly out of touch mind either.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the general complaints lobbied about Pokemon Lets Go and the franchise in its current state, I don't see what you're trying to say. If it was solely the motion control pokeball throw and whatnot, I doubt there would be nearly as much complaining, or rather, a far more focused, yet narrow complaint that would've died down pretty quickly. Yet that isn't even the case of why people keep voicing their disappointment.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was during a Let's Go interview my dude. "Go" is a brand. And even in this regard, it means the same thing. You also should read the rest of what is stated which further debunks this.
If he was talking about Let's Go he would've mentioned Let's Go. Jesus Christ are people so close minded enough to write this game off that they're willing to misinterpret every single interview.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering the general complaints lobbied about Pokemon Lets Go and the franchise in its current state, I don't see what you're trying to say. If it was solely the motion control pokeball throw and whatnot, I doubt there would be nearly as much complaining, or rather, a far more focused, yet narrow complaint that would've died down pretty quickly. Yet that isn't even the case of why people keep voicing their disappointment.
Isn't it obvious? I'm debunking a very strong misconception on this website. This isn't about either or not you think Let's Go is good for the series or not. This is stating that Gen 8 is not influenced by it in any way.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

At the very least saying that it's not going going to be an "entry level" games shows that they're at least hearing and understanding what people are upset about with the last few games.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It won't but that doesn't mean that the 2019 game will be more difficult. The casualization trend started years ago, LGPE won't affect it.

Pokemon 2019 will have the same level of handholding and difficulty as Sun/Moon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If he was talking about Let's Go he would've mentioned Let's Go. Jesus Christ are people so close minded enough to write this game off that they're willing to misinterpret every single interview.
Except he did in the second quote by Forbes...

The new title coming out in the second half of 2019 will be a completely different game from Pokémon Let's Go. It is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokémon series to look forward to.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He is talking about the 2019 game. He's saying that the 2019 game (the "real" Pokémon game) will not be impacted by Let's Go.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean somebody things will cross over but yeah. Gen 8 will be the continuation of what they have been doing with Gen 7.

Also I big part of their wording with Let's Go is because they obviously want everyone to buy the game despite it actually being mostly for Go players. Why limit sales by saying it's for the Go crowd when you can say it's for everyone?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Proof of the pudding is in the eating. I don't really trust anything Gamefreak says at this point.

I hope the existence of Let's Go means they can take the training wheels off the 2019 game, and maybe even bring back stuff like Battle Frontier... but I'm not holding my breath.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
It won't but that doesn't mean that the 2019 game will be more difficult. The casualization trend started years ago, LGPE won't affect it.

Pokemon 2019 will have the same level of handholding and difficulty as Sun/Moon.
Exactly. I'm sure there are people that legitimately think that Gen VIII will be affected by GO and this topic addresses those concerns nicely, but I'm pretty sure that most people are worried about 2019 continuing to be more simplified, linear and with extra handholding and of course LGPE is not doing any favors at all.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it obvious? I'm debunking a very strong misconception on this website. This isn't about either or not you think Let's Go is good for the series or not. This is stating that Gen 8 is not influenced by it in any way.
Very few people were worried about let's go itself directly affecting gen 8. What we're worried about is that the same philosophy that led them to believe that the current piss easy mainline games are to complex for newcomers is going to mean gen VIII continues being watered down compared to earlier gens

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Proof of the pudding is in the eating. I don't really trust anything Gamefreak says at this point.

I hope the existence of Let's Go means they can take the training wheels off the 2019 game, and maybe even bring back stuff like Battle Frontier... but I'm not holding my breath.
Why do you consider them liars?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I'm sure there are people that legitimately think that Gen VIII will be affected by GO and this topic addresses those concerns nicely, but I'm pretty sure that most people are worried about 2019 continuing to be more simplified, linear and with extra handholding and of course LGPE is not doing any favors at all.

Saying it won't be an entry level game directly addresses those concerns.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This would be reassuring except the fact that lets go even exists is a sign they think something like gen 7 isn't entry level
I don't consider Gen 7 "entry level" in the way this game is trying to be, aka non gamers like people's spouses, or family, and I'm someone who use to camp Notorious Monsters in FFXI for 30+ hours straight staring at a monitor all day.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The concern is still warranted because-
Not really. Again, Sun and Moon were not supposed to be "entry points", no less than any other Pokémon game (bar Let's Go).

Nah, I see it as them now saying they can tone down the handholding an tutorialising because they now have a seperate game to handle that.
Up until now they had to make the games easy to get into for new players because every instalment could be someone's first Pokémon game but now they can just point those people towards Let's Go.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NNL17JD.png

Yeah I don't buy it.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I personally think my post still stands.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish you were right, but not all of us are so sure.
I'm not sure either but the fact they explicitly said it's not an entry level game shows that at the very least they understand core players frustrations with the last few games. Time will tell if they properly address them or not.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why do you consider them liars?
Not what I said, but interesting that that's the conclusion you jumped to.

I don't trust them to understand what people like me want out of a Pokemon game. Will 2019 be 'the game that I've been waiting for?' I personally doubt it, but I suppose we'll see.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, and they just said the 2019 game "is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokémon series to look forward to".
So why are people panicking, again?
what does that mean to them? For all we know "a game that we want longtime fans to look forward to" is just a game that has new Pokemon to Gamefreak.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
what does that mean to them? For all we know "a game that we want longtime fans to look forward to" is just a game that has new Pokemon to Gamefreak.
It says it's not an entry game. Let's Go is the first of its kind, so it means the other titles in the series had to be the entry point before as there was no alternative. So what I take from it is that Gen 8 won't have the same limiting factors.