• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
My explanation is that Sony is afraid of native PS5 game save exploits (remember Twilight hack?). By uploading save to a server they can verify save data.

For current system they reuse code which comes from Vita to PS4/PS3 data transfer (Transfarring as Kojima sees it :D)

They could have done an API for PS5 games for a safe data import without PS4 copy but I guess it was not a priority because in a year nobody will remember this thing.

As for Microsoft there never was much interest in One hacking. I would like to see a Linux on SX though.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't understand the issue. I just download my ps4 saves from the cloud onto my PS5?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a lot of guessing for a definitive title.

Also I don't think the saves for third party games go through Sony... Like Crash 4 saves would go through Activision's servers, right?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
This has been covered before and if I'm remembering all the details correctly:

PlayStation games can only access save files with the games primary identifier and a small number of secondary IDs. Due to translations and various editions a lot of games use all their secondary IDs in their PS4 releases. Because the number of secondary IDs the new SKU has to include to support save importing is above the system limit by the time the PS5 SKU comes out you have a choice:

1) import saves from X and Y versions but not Z. A really poor user experience.
2) have the user export their save to a server you control, tagged with their PSN ID, and pull it down in the new version of the game.

The import itself is trivial, it was the lack of access to the files that is the issue

Last edited:

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
PS4 save data can be imported through USB.
Yes, I know. I was just pointing out that, as Sony needs to upload saves for verification, that's something that (automatically) happens on Xbox too, and it doesn't make the entire process so difficult. The problem on Sony's side is two-fold: first, many cross-gen games are different SKUs rather than a single one, so you need to actually transfer saves, and second, PS4 doesn't automatically upload saves to the cloud for everyone.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
My understanding is that both ps4 and ps5 versions of games are basically different SKU's, whether xbox uses smart delivery and 1 SKU for all platforms.

Both strategy's have there advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage of the way playstation is doing it, is mostly that games can be smaller(1 set of assets), best example maybe is Control on next gen. XbseriesX/S its 42.5 GB of SSD space , PS5 about 25.79 GB. Kraken sure also takes a part here ofc.

Advantage of the xbox way is that savefiles work immediately.

Could be wrong ofc but this seems the most likely.

OP
OP
Rikimaru

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
This has been covered before and if I'm remembering all the details correctly:

PlayStation games can only access save files with the games primary identifier and a small number of secondary IDs. Due to translations and various editions a lot of games use all their secondary IDs in their PS4 releases. Because the number of secondary IDs the new SKU has to include to support save importing is above the system limit by the time the PS5 SKU comes out you have a choice:

1) import saves from X and Y versions but not Z. A really poor user experience.
2) have the user export their save to a server you control, tagged with their PSN ID, and pull it down in the new version of the game.

The import itself is trivial, it was the lack of access to the files that is the issue
This could be a reason too, I guess.

But Sony could extend PS5 system limit then by just adding PS4 ids to PS5 games maybe?