• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
ResetERA loves this movie so much so I gave it a watch, hoping it would be amazing. I could barely keep my eyes open. It was so remarkably bad. I don't understand how you guys love it so much.

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who loves the film, if I'm to play devil's advocate, the film could be perfect by cutting a bunch of screen time from Spritle and Chim Chim's obnoxious antics.

I've wanted to show my wife Speed Racer for years, but can already feel myself cringing next to her as she looks over at me during those scenes.
Cutting anything with Chim Chim would only hurt the movie.

Love that monkey.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty, probably not for you. As far as I'm concerned the first 20 minutes is all you need to watch to know if you'll end up liking Speed Racer or not. It absolutely gets better as the movie progresses, but it's not going to suddenly turn into a different movie.
Thank you. Not for me than.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I adore this movie.

I could watch the last couple of minutes of the movie... from when he restarts his car till the very end.

Exhilarating and emotional.

Oct 25, 2017
Op, you made the movie so much better than I found it. I just double checked, and I watched the first 23 minutes before I had no interest in watching any more. Is it something that picks up later, or if I don't like the start, will I not like the rest.
The beginning and end are the best parts. If neither do nothing for you, it's not gonna happen.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent OP. One of the best movies ever made. And one of my only favorites that I'm confident will be discussed in academic circles even 50 years from now.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I adore this movie from the bottom of my heart. It's the best anime adaptation we have ever had and likely will ever have, because instead of adapting the source anime to traditional Hollywood cinematography it went out of its way to adapt traditional Hollywood to anime. Like the OP says, it was so visually striking and like nothing else that came before it. The movie is as close to literally Speed Racer in live action as we'll ever get, which is an amazing feat that I doubt would be easily replicated.

Understandably, despite that, if you care nothing for Speed Racer you aren't likely to enjoy the movie either. But I love it and therefore love the movie.

God, what an amazing movie. I need to see it in 4k one day.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is one of those rare instances where the OP is more entertaining than the movie itself. Though I'm not a fan of the film, bravo for putting all that work in for this thread. It was a highly enjoyable read and it's always cool to see someone else's perspective. Gives you a better idea and a reminder that we all see movies differently.

With that said, I would buy a 4k just for the visuals alone.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Great OP.

Can you create one for Scott Pilgrim vs the World next? I think Speed Racer May have somewhat inspired the effects work and jump cuts/transitions that Edgar Wright used in his movie.

I thought about Scott Pilgrim immediately too. :)

And how I wish the Wachowskis did a live action Dragon Ball movie...

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who loves the film, if I'm to play devil's advocate, the film could be perfect by cutting a bunch of screen time from Spritle and Chim Chim's obnoxious antics.

I've wanted to show my wife Speed Racer for years, but can already feel myself cringing next to her as she looks over at me during those scenes.

I've tried to watch this movie multiple times due to this community but those scenes sucks. I know it's a kids movie but it really makes it hard to get through.

I'll try again and just skip over those parts.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of watching it in 3D in the cinema, ruined the movie for me for years until I gave it another go.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
snywJmk.gif

All the toys in the world, and a good old fashioned punch does the trick.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
When I first watched this movie in the theater, I really was just kind of meh on it. But as the years have gone on and the older I've gotten the more I really appreciate it.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OP. Your analysis is so good, and I'm not joking about this, that it makes me understand better why I dislike this movie. The very core of Speed Racer is taking original source material that was already derivative and unreal and cranking those qualities up past 11. I can appreciate the artistry that went into that, and I can see how some people would like it, but I sure don't.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
sGHqWLE.gif

This shot stayed with me ever since the first and only time I've watched, it's beautiful. Pretty much forgot everything else. I really need to revisit this movie now that I'm more interested in aspects such as editing and cinematography.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Good post, but I still hate this movie. I saw it in the theater and hated it. Later after the GAF crew kept praising about it so much I bought it on blu ray from the $3 bin at Wal Mart and gave it a second chance, but nope, still hated it.

I understand what the brothers (siblings?) were going for, and I think the soundtrack is good and the cast did a nice job given the movie they were tasked with acting in, but it's just too busy and messy and garish for me. The way it's directed it interrupts every scene of meaning with short intercut mini scenes that frustrate me and takes me right out of any moment. It's live action mixed with CGI but completely unbelievable to me. As a film it just does not work for me, and trying to watch it is a headache inducing chore every time I give it a chance.

I'm glad some people can appreciate it, but for me it's just a terrible failure of a movie.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit that when the movie was released I fell asleep during it and never tried again, but I really think I should at this point

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
If a 4K/HDR is ever released for this, I'm running out and buying an OLED with it.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the humor in the movie was straight up cringeworthy but it is for sure a pretty movie. Even the fight scenes looked cool.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's a beautiful movie, but to its detriment it highlights that the show barely had enough plot for 22 minutes let alone a movies worth.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it it's every month with this thread. The movie's visually stunning but damn

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adore this movie, in fact, im gonna pop the Bluray right now, thanks OP!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
As a Trackmania fan, it was always impossible to see the movie with anything but love.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
This film continues to grow on me. If I had just a passing interest in movies, this would seem just a weird film. But over the years I've grown to appreciate different artforms/cinematography/editing even more and this film is one of the most spectacular showcases of originality in film there is. You've written many of my own thoughts jett. Wonderful OP. Love FilmCritHulk's thoughts on the film too.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But Speed Racer puts its own spin on it and uses speed lines not just to accentuate motion, but also to transition from one scene to another, and more:

nujGjSE.gif

After contract negotiations go sour, villain Royalton, who has complete control over the results of motorsport racing, threatens Speed and his family with total ruin, accurately predicting that he won't even finish his upcoming race, which the film then seamlessly transitions to afterward. Here speed lines are actually used for more than just motion and scene transitions. As the scenery swirls around Royalton, this motion accelerates in tandem with the background morphing into speed lines and the increasingly aggressive tone in his speech, resulting in the dramatic tension in the scene being bumped up a notch.

When I first watched this movie, this was the transition that I noticed. When I watched the movie again, I saw the other transitions and how they carried you through the story, especially with the race at the beginning. The Wachowskis did it effortlessly and clearly. It's something I want to see again because it's goddamn beautiful.

The final race is just pure ecstasy and really captures the feeling of being in the "zone." And it's a feast for the eyes

gCJbr.gif

Patrick Willems did a piece on Speed Racer's hyper reality

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I loved this movies use of colors, I wish more movies went that route these days instead of the trend of Orange/Teal color grading and being all dark and dreary.

Just wish they'd have been able to do the movie at a higher resolution, just think what it could look like if they did it at like 4k or higher.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
It's truly one of the best looking movie of all time. Pure unadulterated fun to boot with. I love this movie to death. It is such a shame so many people don't get it.

Great deconstruction op.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Thanks for reminding me to pick up the soundtrack vinyl from Mondo.

Hot damn do I love Craig Drake.

4-SpeedRacer_1024x1024.jpg

I still watch the first and last races from time to time. They just grab you.

Still waiting for a 4K release with the best audio quality they can muster. Still busy out the Blu Ray now and then.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I really like this film but think the colors are not handled with great care here. Some shots look like 2000s desktop wallpaper art in their garishness. It works great in scenes involving medium/close shots of actors but falls apart in establishing shots.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
By itself, Speed Racer's scene construction and editing might fly under casual viewers' appreciation. But it's not the only movie that does what it does. Ang Lee tried to do the same thing with his Hulk movie and it just doesn't have the flow or style that Speed Racer achieves. So not only does Speed Racer try to be distinct, it does it right.

I was going to say more comic and cartoon adaptations could learn to be as authentic as Speed Racer, but I would add to that that all movies could learn from Speed Racer.

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's an awesome OP, thanks!
I definitely have to rewatch it on 4K sometimes, I watched it such a long time ago and didn't pay full attention

Alethiometer

alt account
Banned
May 29, 2018
We really need more movies like it. More Hollywood producers should take notes and experiment with how they edit and shoot their movies. All the recent blockbusters are so creatively bankrupt when it comes to visuals :(

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but I remember very clearly loving the CGI but hating all the live action stuff, which looked really bad. There's such a disconnect between the two. You can see it in the pictures posted in the OP. The film's visual style is just not consistent. It has two visual styles, only one of which actually looks great.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
ResetERA loves this movie so much so I gave it a watch, hoping it would be amazing. I could barely keep my eyes open. It was so remarkably bad. I don't understand how you guys love it so much.
Any single shot is visually interesting. Enduring the actual film is a futile exercise. It beats you into submission.

I like the Speed Racer anime. As a film, not so much. The rehashed content leaves you unsurprised, bored by the whole experience. I kept waiting for something novel to happen. Never did.

Conceptually, many of the scenes are compelling. But the use of green screen makes everything feel so weightless. It came off more Wacky Races than Speed Racer. Tatsunoko by way of Hanna-Barbera.

It's nice you guys like it. A well earned 40% fresh.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The first hyperbolic thread on ResetEra that I fully agree with. The movie is a masterclass in visual storytelling!

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
The prettiest film I keep falling asleep to.

Since I never got into Speed Racer, I never got its fan service.