• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched the film with my gf tonight because of this thread. Thanks to the OP I was really thinking consciously about the "editing" (it goes so far beyond the usual movie editing that cuts between discrete frames). My mind was melting thinking about the logic of the multiple time periods and locations it was amalgamating into what appear to be single scenes. Great film.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
That last GIF looks like one of Jupiter's bands.
Gorgeous OP. Such a trippy film. If only it wasn't so exhausting to watch!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The final work for history of movies II class at my fine arts college was writing about the edits and story flow of a modern movie.
While everone used the usual suspects I used the Royalton scene in speed racer. I got a 9 out of 10 (he was pretty harsh with scores), so seems my teacher really thought i wrote a good piece of hpw this scene and movie expanded the medium, he actually hadnt watch the movie until he had to read my project.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing post. Pretty much exactly why I love this movie, such a perfect marriage of incredible filmmaking in service to the storytelling. The way all the techniques they've used build up to the final race is incredible.

The only misstep in this movie is the sprittle and chimchim gag right before the credits. Other than that it's wonderful.

I loved the shit out of Scott Pilgrim too and wouldn't be surprised if Edgar Wright got some inspiration from Speed Racer when making it.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Thanks OP, great post. I'm unashamedly a fan of the film. I had heard of the anime, but never seen anything more than a few clips, but this damn movie blew my mind back in theater.

I was so far on the edge of my seat during the last race, whispering - go, speed, go under my breath.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for reminding me to pick up the soundtrack vinyl from Mondo.

Hot damn do I love Craig Drake.

4-SpeedRacer_1024x1024.jpg

I still watch the first and last races from time to time. They just grab you.

Still waiting for a 4K release with the best audio quality they can muster. Still busy out the Blu Ray now and then.
That really is an awesome package, here's the front cover in higher resolution.

Speed_racer_FC_no_spine_1024x1024.jpg

https://mondotees.com/products/speed-racer-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The final work for history of movies II class at my fine arts college was writing about the edits and story flow of a modern movie.
While everone used the usual suspects I used the Royalton scene in speed racer. I got a 9 out of 10 (he was pretty harsh with scores), so seems my teacher really thought i wrote a good piece of hpw this scene and movie expanded the medium, he actually hadnt watch the movie until he had to read my project.
That really is an awesome package, here's the front cover in higher resolution.

Speed_racer_FC_no_spine_1024x1024.jpg

https://mondotees.com/products/speed-racer-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp
That cover is amazing!

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Was shot at just under 2k, but the HDR and more importantly the WCG will make it insane!
The upgrade I want more is the BD has lossy 5.1 audio.
Warner need up upgrade it to DTS-HD on UHD.
Couldn't they render all the effects at 4K+? Would be more money than WB wants to spend on this bomb, but still.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they render all the effects at 4K+? Would be more money than WB wants to spend on this bomb, but still.
There's no point, they'd have to re-edit the entire movie.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Even successful movies don't go through this. Stuff that was shot in 2K or edited in 2K (i.e. digital intermediates) will stay that way.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Visually amazing - otherwise average.

Personally i fee it should have been much shorter and tighter. Since Reloaded as directors they've always struggled to cut stuff that's unneeded: they're too indulgent and seem too attached to unnecessary content.

It is damn gorgeous to look at though. And when it clicks you get the sense of what could have been if they'd polished the script and pacing as much as the visuals.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I should watch it again, but I remember being turned off by it, despite the dazzling spectacle. I don't care for films that take style over substance to such an extreme. Comparing it to Guernica is interesting, but Picasso used that style because it captured the feeling of chaos and emotional fragmentation that comes from extreme human tragedies. Speed Racer captures some motorcar racing with everyone's favorite monkey sidekick. Not to say a movie about that subject matter couldn't be enjoyable, but it just dragged.

Reminds me a bit of Enter the Void. Both films have completely unique visuals, but not much else to say.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame the industry didn't moved forward in the direction of this type of experimentation and distinctiveness, instead it accepted the mere (continuation) of rehashing and repetition, an issue that always plagued cinema, but today is particularity aggravated, especially with the association to past brands and past achievements by much more competent filmmakers.
Speed Racer is not a film I particularly like, but its undeniable rich and an example of the great talent of the Wachowski's.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
I now realize that with Speed Racer the Wachowskis repeated the gag from Path of Neo where they stop the game to explain what's going on with the ending.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Speed Racer is absolutely one of the most wildly innovative tour de forces in film editing ever made

There are things that I just wish were slightly better about it. Like its obviously a live action children's cartoon, but I wish it was a slightly better one

But that first race is still fucking jawdropping start to finish

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this this weekend, I've been wanting to see it since it's release but I never made it happen for some reason.

I am in love. It is absolutely spectacular in it's own type of way. It's got problems for sure, but I already want to watch it again. It's instantly shot up into my favorite films. And along with it's visuals which go along with this, it's an incredibly true adaptation, but with it's own twists that make sense. I used to love the cartoon, and the care they put into this movie to evoke it is startling.

It's a shame how underrated it is. This thread rules. Thanks for this OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this this weekend, I've been wanting to see it since it's release but I never made it happen for some reason.

I am in love. It is absolutely spectacular in it's own type of way. It's got problems for sure, but I already want to watch it again. It's instantly shot up into my favorite films. And along with it's visuals which go along with this, it's an incredibly true adaptation, but with it's own twists that make sense. I used to love the cartoon, and the care they put into this movie to evoke it is startling.

WE GOT A CONVERT!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
My heart skipped a beat thinking maybe, just MAYBE, they announced a 4k Dolby Vision release.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

FmwPkaO.jpg

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Hah! Oh I could not be happier to be here, I just can't believe it took me so long. I would give anything to see this movie in theaters. People need to push for that. I'm sure in this day and age, if we got enough people talking about it, we may actually could get a temporary re-release. It's gotta have a decent-sized cult following.

I wish I could take over the Academy and give this movie all the oscars. Just...all of them. I really am in love.

Oct 25, 2017
Hah! Oh I could not be happier to be here, I just can't believe it took me so long. I would give anything to see this movie in theaters. People need to push for that. I'm sure in this day and age, if we got enough people talking about it, we may actually could get a temporary re-release. It's gotta have a decent-sized cult following.

I wish I could take over the Academy and give this movie all the oscars. Just...all of them. I really am in love.
I mean, this was one of FOUR Speed Racer threads made this year, I think I did the 10th anniversary and "it's on Netflix" ones. Had to amount to something.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Found this thread because of the RT thread. This is an effing great read, OP. Unf. I will forever stan this film.

Oct 26, 2017
Great post, crashed my mobile browser a couple times but totally worth it! The visual examples did a superb job of demonstrating your points and driving them home - pun intended. Well done!

Another film from the same year which took visual risks and wasn't well-received is Ang Lee's Hulk.

I'd love to read more posts from you, OP.

Edit: oops, that's from 2003!

Last edited:

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Great post, crashed my mobile browser a couple times but totally worth it! The visual examples did a superb job of demonstrating your points and driving them home - pun intended. Well done!

Another film from the same year which took visual risks and wasn't well-received is Ang Lee's Hulk.

www.resetera.com

Nine years ago, back in 2009, the self-proclaimed King of the World unleashed the blue cat alien people, better known as the Na’vi, to the world. Somehow, the world took to these creatures to the tune of nearly 2.8 billion dollars at the box office. Miraculously, James Cameron had done it again...

Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Found this thread because of the RT thread. This is an effing great read, OP. Unf. I will forever stan this film.
Hah thanks!

In the past I've written a few articles for a now-defunct website, I mirrored a couple of them here:

jettfilmrunner.wordpress.com

Barry Lyndon: How Stanley Kubrick Painted With Light

Napoleon is one of Stanley Kubrick’s most famous unfinished projects. It was to be his next film after 2001: A Space Odyssey, and for two years he fastidiously conducted research of the era, which …

Master and Commander: An Uncompromising Vision on the Far Side of the World

ADMIRALTY ORDERS To Cpt. J. Aubrey ‘Intercept French Privateer ACHERON en route to Pacific INTENT ON CARRYING THE WAR INTO THOSE WATERS …Sink, Burn or take her a Prize’ Based on the long-running bo…

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if it looks good or it looks like trash...

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this film is a masterpiece seemingly doomed to be criminally underrated and underappreciated. It was so far ahead of its time, and still completely holds up visually because of how stylized it is. I really wonder what would have happened if it had come out even 5 years later.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I fucking love the OG series and the movie is one of my favorites. Very underrated. I need the blu ray.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
ResetERA loves this movie so much so I gave it a watch, hoping it would be amazing. I could barely keep my eyes open. It was so remarkably bad. I don't understand how you guys love it so much.
best way to watch it is high above your eyeballs, muted with some music over it. It's a great movie to have on mute at a party as well.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this again on blu Ray as we finally got a proper 65 inch entertainment setup. God it's fucking incredible. The score is like way too fucking good too. It's so fun and ambitious. Man everything about this movie being overlooked is such a huge shame.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
The other night I was bored and not feeling anything I was finding streaming. I plugged in an old hard drive and was scrolling through my movies just going "nah, nah, nah, nah" until I finally came across my copy of this, it felt like the moment Spritle and Chim Chim opened the candy cabinet on the plane and I knew I had to watch it. First time I had watched in a couple years at least. Still love this movie so much.

Oct 26, 2017
Hah thanks!

In the past I've written a few articles for a now-defunct website, I mirrored a couple of them here:

Barry Lyndon: How Stanley Kubrick Painted With Light

Napoleon is one of Stanley Kubrick’s most famous unfinished projects. It was to be his next film after 2001: A Space Odyssey, and for two years he fastidiously conducted research of the era, which …

Master and Commander: An Uncompromising Vision on the Far Side of the World

ADMIRALTY ORDERS To Cpt. J. Aubrey ‘Intercept French Privateer ACHERON en route to Pacific INTENT ON CARRYING THE WAR INTO THOSE WATERS …Sink, Burn or take her a Prize’ Based on the long-running bo…

Barry Lyndon! That's such a perfect example for a similar write-up! Can't wait to read it!