• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Speaking of which, I was honestly disappointed that you can't dismember bad guys with your lightsaber. It turns out you can, sort of. "We'll use it in select cases," senior designer Justin Perez told me, before clarifying what he meant. Basically, droids and spiders and the like can have their legs and arms (if applicable) lopped off, but not humanoids. Blame the Disney branding folks for that one, it seems.

In fact, speaking with Tatyana Drewry Carvin, a Story Artist on The Clone Wars - Season 7, we were told that these sort of rules about what you can or cannot do when it comes to removing parts of people with a lightsaber are common in Star Wars properties, alluding to the fact that this seems to be a Lucas Arts edict.

"One of the rules we were given was to always hide the cut in case of decapitation. And never show blood," Drewry Carvin said. "The burn of the lightsaber is supposed to cauterize it instantly."

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ponda-baba-arm.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
this was a thing in the old Jedi Knight games right? I think it really helped to sell lightsabers as being an intimidating weapon

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It was inevitable really, the films also shy away from showing it. Just look at the way Kylo slashes Finn at the end of TFA, that should have cut him in half but somehow it didn't. That's probably also why the prequels has Jedi fighting generic robots or insects where they could freely slash away without scaring kids. This is a game for kids after all.

Even in Jedi Knight 2 the dismemberment was fairly rare unless you fiddled with the command console.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But it's okay to cut Snoke completely in half, and linger on his corpse in a later scene?

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is obvious. Star Wars games are gonna shoot for the T Rating. Lopping off stormtrooper heads was never going to happen in this game.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The irony of the thumbnail for the video showing Luke getting his hand chopped off.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was inevitable really, the films also shy away from showing it. Just look at the way Kylo slashes Finn at the end of TFA, that should have cut him in half but somehow it didn't. That's probably also why the prequels has Jedi fighting generic robots or insects where they could freely slash away.

I mean, nowadays I guess they might do. Luke's hand and the bottom half of Darth maul might not agree that they always have though.

Edit:Snoke as mentioned above too. I guess videogame Devs have a tendency to make things like that more visceral though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LucasArts? In a new sense? Because Kotor had it, Jedi knight, and Force Unleashed 2 all had it. Which were all LucasArts.

Edit: Kotor may not have had it. I can't remember exactly.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lightsabers seem so pointless in the Disney Star Wars universe. It's such a violent weapon that is literally made to cut off limbs.... lol

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, even the movies have very much shyed away from showing a bunch of gruesome dismemberments. It's meant to be a huge dramatic moment when it happens.......so to have Jedi running around and slashing every human into two pieces means you would kinda lose that effect.

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how a new Republic Commando game would fare. You could knife fools and their blood would splatter on your visor before being wiped off by your helmet's futuristic windshield wiper. I guess it was always only green alien blood and droid oil though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The droids probably exist for you to dismember and light sabers probably exist to cauterize the wound upon and avoid japanese style horror blood fountains, upon cutting dudes up.

If we would have an R rated Star Wars flick, Vibroblades would have been used.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, nowadays I guess they might do. Luke's hand and the bottom half of Darth maul might not agree that they always have though.

Edit:Snoke as mentioned above too. I guess videogame Devs have a tendency to make things like that more visceral though.

I think seeing it on screen in big cinematic moments is one thing, but applying full dismemberment to a hack and slash Star Wars game is probably a bit much. You will be slashing thousands of humans in this game, it would look a bit silly if you saw arms flying off every two seconds. In ROTJ when Luke is hacking away at Jabba's goons there is no dismemberment either, there's a limit to how much you can show that before it gets dumb.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly unfortunate. Dismemberment could be used as a point of morality, where the more you engage in brutal execution, the closer you move to the dark side.

Disney shying away from the gore in general kinda removes the sense of lethal in combat. The scene where Anakin slices off Dooku's hands still makes me wince. Lightsaber duals should feel dangerous.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember, was the dismemberment on by default in Jedi Knight/Academy or did you have to use console to turn it on?

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
this was a thing in the old Jedi Knight games right? I think it really helped to sell lightsabers as being an intimidating weapon

I don't think it was in the early games.
There was a cheat you could use in Outcast & Academy.
I imagine someone will make a mod for the pc version, but those of us on consoles will be shit outta luck.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember, was the dismemberment on by default in Jedi Knight/Academy or did you have to use console to turn it on?

It was a cheat. It's pretty funny how people are misremembering this, in lots of places the narrative is forming around how things were different in the good ol' days and how Star Wars are draconian now. Uhh... nothing changed folks.

And the reason JO and JA had the dismemberment cheat was because at that time, Raven had done a gore system for SoF2.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

It was on by default but it only happened rarely, sometimes when duelling you would cut off the opponents hand during the killing blow, for example. Using the console you could turn it up to a cartoonish level.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to see here folks. It's basically always been this way. The franchise was always marketed as a family friendly affair(in the games and movies)

The_Lump

Oct 28, 2017
Who cares

Seriously

Game looks great but we are hung up on stupid nonsense like this

A lot of people care, clearly. And that's because it matters. The detail and richness of the Star Wars universe is what the entire franchise has been built upon. Turning around at this point and saying "the details don't matter" is understandably disappointing to a lot of fans who fell in love with that detail.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't there only been like three dismemberments in all of the SW movies? Also remember that scene with Luke fighting Jabba's goons and like no one got cut in half?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't there only been like three dismemberments in all of the SW movies? Also remember that scene with Luke fighting Jabba's goons and like no one got cut in half?

you mean only humans? not including aliens, the wompa or darth maul I can think of from the first 6 movies:
-Vader cuts Lukes hand off
-Luke cuts Vaders hand off
-Dooku cuts off Anakins arm
-Samuel L Jackson decapitates someone
-Anakin cuts off hands and then decapitates Dooku
-Mace Windu loses a hand
-Obi wan cuts Anakin into pieces

Oct 27, 2017
you mean only humans? not including aliens and the wompa I can think of from the first 6 movies:
-Vader cuts Lukes hand off
-Luke cuts Vaders hand off
-Samuel L Jackson decapitates someone
-Anakin cuts off someones hands and then decapitates Dooku
-Mace Windu loses a hand
-Obi wan cuts Anakin into pieces
Gotcha so really only 6 that happened during specific story beats, so I don't really see an issue with this game not having people getting cut into pieces every time you fight an NPC.

Like do people not realize that would make the game a hard-M rating which would be kind ridiculous for a kids property like Star Wars?