• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
hetmq6dw5ym6ds3ei5rh.png

Is this some inside joke I'm missing? People changing their avatars for this lol. In terms of aesthetics, King K.Rool is an abomination of design. Although the Smash artists cleaned him up some.

He barely registered in pop culture like a Bowser or even a Ridley. Did Smash fans just want another villain? And, for the record, I'm a Smash fan. Again, Ridley I get since Metroid only had one rep, or two if you wanna play around with Zero Suit as another entry.

DK has two entries, actually three since Mario originated in DK, right? I know I'm stretching it here. And I'm sure Funky will be a echo fighter of DK too. No surprise there.

What's the appeal here?

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
He's a goofy villain from a beloved series, plus it's cool to have villain reps from more series, same reason I'd love Black Shadow or Blood Falcon to be in

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't been seen in such a long time despite being an icon for the original DKC series. Excited to see him again, plus he has kickass music.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
He's a fun wacky character, perfect for Smash. Sure as hell beats yet more boring generic anime swordsmen.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Are people not allowed to like characters? He was the notable DK villain from the Donkey Kong Country games that many people enjoyed growing up.

Let people be excited for stuff lol. We don't have to tear down every instance of excitement,

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
He's a fun wacky character, perfect for Smash. Sure as hell beats yet more boring generic anime swordsmen.
True. Sakurai really loves FE.

Are people not allowed to like characters? He was the notable DK villain from the Donkey Kong Country games that many people enjoyed growing up.

Let people be excited for stuff lol. We don't have to tear down every instance of excitement,

I just didn't know he was that beloved. Even back in the day, he seemed like a trash tier throwaway villain.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I think it's a European thing. He's got the European comic/cartoon vibe all over him.

Edit: speaking as a European that is.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's the antagonist of Donkey Kong 64, a beloved game full of beloved characters. Plus he was in DKC.

Oct 25, 2017
He barely registered in pop culture like a Bowser or even a Ridley.

Bowser, sure. But way, way more people know who K. Rool is than fucking Ridley. Pretty much no one outside of Metroid diehards knows Ridley.

K. Rool is a popular villain from a really beloved series of games. It shouldn't be a surprise that people want to see him in Smash.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
He's a good choice and the Ridley/K.Rool stuff came from the lack of villains. Smash Fandom memes characters into serious candidates.

It only becomes toxic when fans act like Sakurai should be fired for not including someone. Waluigi is next, if he's not already there.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think he's any less noteworthy than Ridley for you to be okay with one and not the other

In fact I find both cases very similar: villains from popular franchises that had cool boss fights. Doesn't need more than that in a game where even wiifit trainer is a fighter option

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he's any less noteworthy than Ridley for you to be okay with one and not the other

In fact I find both cases very similar: villains from popular franchises that had cool boss fights. Doesn't need more than that in a game where even wiifit trainer is a fighter option
True. Ridley seemed like a gimme for fans that would not shut up about lol.

His DK64 design is serviceable, though.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
He symbolizes the Rare Donkey Kong Country games / DK64. He's a unique villain and had interesting possibilities for a moveset.

I can see that if you either didn't play those games due to not having the game or a Genesis/Megadrive growing up, or you were just born years after those games came out you might be wondering why. But I think that anyone who has played and appreciated DKC at least back when it first comes out gets it.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
hetmq6dw5ym6ds3ei5rh.png

Is this some inside joke I'm missing? People changing their avatars for this lol. In terms of aesthetics, King K.Rool is an abomination of design. Although the Smash artists cleaned him up some.

He barely registered in pop culture like a Bowser or even a Ridley. Did Smash fans just want another villain? And, for the record, I'm a Smash fan. Again, Ridley I get since Metroid only had one rep, or two if you wanna play around with Zero Suit as another entry.

DK has two entries, actually three since Mario originated in DK, right? I know I'm stretching it here. And I'm sure Funky will be a echo fighter of DK too. No surprise there.

What's the appeal here?
How do you find the fact that people are actually equally, if not more excited for a side member of a one-off SNES RPG that never appeared in another game, OP?

Hey at least K. Rool has sales and iconic status to back him up!

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His a lizard, a king, a captain and a evil scientist
What's not to love?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He has a goofy personality and his boss fights in the DK games were all radically different which lends itself to a good moveset,

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
How do you find the fact that people are actually equally, if not more excited for a side member of a one-off SNES RPG that never appeared in another game, OP?

Hey at least K. Rool has sales and iconic status to back him up!
Geno, right?

Would make a good assist trophy. Don't see him as roster material.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's Donkey Kong's greatest villain who was ignored after Rare was brought out. He was a fun villain who just went up and disappeared. He's nostalgic for people who played Donkey Kong Country or Donkey Kong 64. He's just as iconic as Ridley, hell it's fair to say he was more iconic then Ridley. Ridley was just the bigger meme.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Hes genuinely one of my favorite Nintendo or video game characters in general. Awesome boss fights in all three DK games
. Awesome music. Dude is just cool. I hate that hes become "meme" material these days though.

Status
Not open for further replies.