• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
For context, Council of Geeks is a reveiwer show that takes a look at Doctor Who as a series and analyises it and today he came out on a episode on the Doctor Who Episode - Vincent of the Doctor and details what it means to him as well as how fantastically written it is as an episode.

As for my own personal thoughts on the episode, like COG - i will freely admit that i have never had depression in my life but i have known pepole that have suffered through it and deal with it. When i first watched this episode - i liked it - i thought the beautiful episode but i think as this episode has gotten even better with age especially with the current age of the internet and how Doctor Who tackles depression. I think it's a fantastic episode that will always be a touchstone in Matt Smith's Run as the Doctor.

I am wondering what you think of the episode and if you think it is a good telling of Vincent Van Goph and his life story.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My headcanon is that Van Gogh commited suicide BECAUSE the doctor showed him the future and he feel disolated to be trapped in a place and time that hated him and didn't had an awesome museum

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Fun fact about Vincent and the Doctor: It's the first episode of Doctor Who that the BBC aired that carried a helpline number over the end credits. I'm not sure if it's the only one anymore, I think there was an episode in series 11 that carried a helpline number too. But it really demonstrates how ambitious the episode was, tackling a serious subject matter that you wouldn't really expect to find in a family adventure show.

It's also one of the main reasons I had to snort in derision at anyone in 2010 who claimed Series 5 was the death of the show, and there were a lot of people claiming that at the time.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
One of my favourite episodes of all time.

That entire season was fantastic. The absolute height of New Who.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I disliked it then and time hasn't helped soften it to me at all. It doesn't help that I just don't enjoy anything Richard Curtis has written since the late 1980s, and this fell straight into his now usual overly-mawkish tedium.

As someone with depression it didn't speak to me, and I certainly would never want it to speak for me.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Fun fact about Vincent and the Doctor: It's the first episode of Doctor Who that the BBC aired that carried a helpline number over the end credits. I'm not sure if it's the only one anymore, I think there was an episode in series 11 that carried a helpline number too. But it really demonstrates how ambitious the episode was, tackling a serious subject matter that you wouldn't really expect to find in a family adventure show.

It's also one of the main reasons I had to snort in derision at anyone in 2010 who claimed Series 5 was the death of the show, and there were a lot of people claiming that at the time.
Yeah, honestly Series 5 i would argue is one of the best seasons of New Who in retrospect

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I disliked it then and time hasn't helped soften it to me at all. It doesn't help that I just don't enjoy anything Richard Curtis has written since the late 1980s, and this fell straight into his now usual overly-mawkish tedium.

As someone with depression it didn't speak to me, and I certainly would never want it to speak for me.

Completely agreed as someone who was in an especially dark place at the time, it was merely OK at best for me, mediocre at worst. It's also got probably the most obvious example of the Moffat era zero effort weak antagonist problem that seriously hurt the show in my eyes, with the dorky, laughable CGI in particular being very distracting.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of the few good episodes of Matt Smith's tenure as The Doctor, even if I don't think it's all that when it comes to handling depression. The rest of the season was loathsome.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Vincent episode really is incredible.

Edit: Was thinking of series six not five.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the episode that first actively started to turn me off of this run of Doctor Who. It felt like it was nakedly trying to pull on my heartstrings just a little too much or something

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't particularly fond of the climax. It was a little too campy for me, or whatever the word is I'm looking for there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have as much of a reaction to this one as most people did because I saw it AFTER it already entered into the pop lexicon and thus already knew what its "deal" was in advance, but even I have to admit it's probably the strongest episode of Matt Smith's run.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I kinda feel the same way. It really didn't feel like a good representation of depression. However, I do feel there are good parts scattered throughout. I think they do communicate well the idea that you can't just "fix" someone by cheering them up for a day. I liked Amy trying to goad Van Gogh into the sunflowers, lol. The ending is the weakest part though, for sure. Far too mawkishly "triumphant".