• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was wrong with the old one from 2012?

Searching for a game in a specific series with bazillion entries, DLCs and microtranscations is just way too much, and it's even worse if the DLCs you're looking for is from a video game with a long ass title:

KyMOBeo.jpg

You can't even know the DLC's names unless you pause for 5 seconds or press on the DLC to know if it's the one you're looking for, it's such a badly designed search engine it makes me dread going to the store.

Who on earth thought that searching by scrolling letters was a good idea how the hell is this acceptable in 2018?

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say I'm fine with the search engine (and I am mostly since I use the website more than the console version of the store >_>) but yes that is very annoying and it would be nice if they fixed it somehow. Either bring back the old type in one or make it so DLC doesn't show up (so just go to the game and get to the DLC from there or some shit)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they should classify results by what is games, what is dlc, what is microtransaction, etc. My 2 bits

Oct 25, 2017
The store actually used to be pretty good back on the PS3 before they introduced the PS4 store style re-design.

Now the best way to buy games is through the web store and then going to your library on the console. You can even remotely start downloads on the web store if you're playing on your primary PS4.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
While we're on the topic of the PlayStation store I'd quite like if during sales you could filter for season passes relating to games you own or have played.

That way it'd be easy for me to check if there was a cheap season pass for a game I've got and want to go back to.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just after they showed off P.T demo and said it was on the store it literally took me about a half hour to find via search.
Today's PSN search was brought to you by the letter P and the letter T, which psn decided to show me everything featuring those letters except the actual demo.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The playstation store in general is always terrible for me. The search, the loading, it's a messy environment. I hope they change it.

ebsy

Feb 25, 2018
It's a terrible experience on the console. The web version isn't much better. Search definitely needs an overhaul.
(e.g. try searching for 'god war' it won't find 'God of War' I never realized how lazy Steam search made me!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
playstation_store.jpg

I miss this store so much. They had to go and fucking ruin the PS3 one with the PS4 store as well.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Try and find ZHP for PSP on the store. (The web one obv, not PS4)

Edit: Actually nevermind, they finally fixed that. For literally years it didn't show up in the search.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Click on ANY dlc for the game you want, click on the game page option, view all the dlc in full detail from there.

Don't use the huge list in search results...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the example in the OP is more an issue with Ubisoft's awful naming conventions than anything else. Although yeah, the PS Store should handle it nicer.

Maybe they should classify results by what is games, what is dlc, what is microtransaction, etc. My 2 bits
They actually kinda do this. Full games have a "Game" tag next to them. Everything else is dlc.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Where would Sony get the money to invest in improvements to the PSN service though? They're not a charity y'know.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the store is borderline useless on PS4 for me. I just end up buying stuff using the PC browser. I recently tried to find Watch Dogs 2 on the store and it was a nightmare.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god yeah it's awful. A little while back I was helping a friend new to PS4 get a specific theme (and it was for a game they don't own, so had to find it manually via the store to access it) and it was pretty much impossible to find. I eventually had to google search it and link the store page to them that way instead.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that this is an acceptable answer but... this is exactly why I use the web store to purchase anything.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seriously that UI segment makes me feel like I might need another pair glasses after I'm done searching....

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's even worse is when I want to redownload something for my Vita or PS3 and there's no way to filter my purchases.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
I think its not broken so it doesnt have to be fixed, at least I find everything sooner or later or just use the web store

They could change it, yeah maybe. If they should or want to change it... Well thats up to Sony. I guess they think its faster this way with the controller.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The whole store needs an overhaul.

I hate to pick games and see all new and get 50000 avatars and bs.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's funny OP, because the same example you used for R6 Siege is what made me think the same thing, like, how much DLC do I have to sort through to find the actual product, especially with the vital writing In the name cut off. Even if you specifically search the title and add season 2 you get a ton of DLC listed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's terrible on the console. I pretty much exclusively use the web store for PS4 purchases/searches.

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said, 99% of the time, I use the website.

Hope they take another crack at the store.

I haven't used switch or Xbox stores. How are those?

Oct 30, 2017
Searching letter by letter is such a goddamn design fail. I have no idea how anyone looked at it and said "yep! That's acceptable for end users! Release it, save!"

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
This is the reason why I use the website all the time. It is just so much easier. I almost never visit the actual store on the PS4. It's really bad.
Easy to remember too, so at least there is that. store.playstation.com

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I was actually quite baffled it was letter by letter. I have never seen any store or website offer searches this poorly before or since. Kind of surprising, considering how well most of the PS4 was managed

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I was just thinking that today. Baffling there isn't something like "show games only" or some simple filter like that.

It's so bad.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The scrolling letters thing actually looked cool until I realized it probably has something to do with my PS3 choking on the store.

The screenshot problem is not that, though. The primary search should just not cover DLC by default, or at least not the ones matched just by game title. OP's diagnosis sounds correct to me.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah its ridiculous, not only is it weird you have to pick each letter vertically instead of using the system keyboard in every other menu on the system but searching something ends up giving cut off results. Honestly the whole system was bad. I had the most difficult time finding new themes and avatars I liked because they make it so hard to find what you are looking for. And lets not get started on the fact that you can only use 1 filter instead of the normal multiple that websites have let you do for decades.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Funnily enough I actually really like it! But I think I only ever search for obscure stuff that has only one or two entries so I never considered how annoying it must be to end up with a gazillion different results.

I really love the app on my phone, I use that most of the time.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a lot more wrong with it than just the search engine. :/

I wish they let us search our owned games. Rather than an endless download list.

Status
Not open for further replies.