• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which option do you think Nintendo is more likely to go with?

• Option 1: Iterate next FY. Around XB1 in a portable, better than a base PS4 when docked.

Votes: 245 20.3%
  • Option 2: Successor before the end of 2022. Around PS4 in a portable, just under a PS4 Pro docked.

Votes: 425 35.2%
  • Nintendo won't release a more powerful Switch, will try something else when Switch stops selling.

Votes: 537 44.5%

• Total voters

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of discussions all over the internet about how Switch will be in an awkward place next year. This just doesn't line up with my thinking, because Switch is currently in it's 3rd year and will be in it's 5th year within 6 months of next gen console's launch.

Whether a more powerful version of the Switch comes before 2022 or not, I think the current Switch won't be left out of cross-gen ports more often once these new consoles hit. Next year is largely going to be without other next gen consoles on the market. Both PS4 and XB1 sold about 4 Million consoles in their launch holiday, even if PS5 and XBnext sell 5 Million next calendar year, they won't hit 10 Million until fall 2021, 3rd party multiplatform games that are not cross-gen, won't come until at least holiday 2021 and Switch will be halfway through it's 5th year at that point.

In my eyes Nintendo has 2 very clear options with the Switch going forward:

OPTION 1: They can copy the 3DS product line and release a Pro model of the Switch next year. This is closely following the 3DS' timeline, with a 2DS launch in 2013 and the New 3DS line launching the following year in 2014. Nvidia will be using Samsung's 7nm process node at this point and that allows for performance similar to the XB1 in portable mode, and better than PS4 performance when docked. At least in theory. This also opens the door to an iterative process, something Iwata seemed to indicate he was planning to do with the platform, meaning that every 3 years or so, Nintendo would release a more powerful Switch model, setting up a 2nd iteration of the Switch in 2023.
(Just to give an idea about performance, I'm estimating 1TFLOPs portable, 2TFLOPs docked, or 768 cuda cores at 650mhz portable or 1.3ghz docked)

OPTION 2: They can wait until Holiday 2021 - Holiday 2022 and release a Switch somewhere close to a portable PS4 and segment their platform, roll the dice on this new device being a success.
(~1.4TFLOPs portable, ~2.8TFLOPs docked. 1024 at 700mhz portable or 1.4ghz docked.)

Either way, they will address the PS5/XBnext generation before it really has a large chance to get off the ground this time, the PS4 was in it's 4th year when the Switch launched and had already reached 60 Million consoles by the end of the month that Switch launched in, if it had launched 2 years earlier, PS4 would have only shipped about 22 Million consoles. What I am saying is not that Switch 2 has a chance to outsell PS5 if it launches only 2 years after the PS5, what I am saying is that Switch 2 will be closely tied to next generation, whether Nintendo chooses option 1 or 2, and the current Switch will have no issue selling itself next year or even the year after, as multiplatform cross-gen ports shouldn't dry up until at least the year 2022.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be fine because there are already two consoles with better graphics on the market. If better graphics were a primary incentive for lots of people not to buy a Switch, wouldn't they already not be buying it? Are "even better" graphics really going to sway minds that are already inclined toward Switch?

And, Switch will get updates in a couple of years to close the gap further.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's simple really.

The concerns about the difficulty of Switch getting PS5/Scarlett ports is overblown because it already gets very few PS4/XBO ports and those aren't the games selling the system.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I like about Nintendo -and especially the 3DS- is we get some really odd, cool games. I kind of hope we see less ports and more weird stuff due to the ps5 and next Xbox, and if the da line is anything to go by then this will serve them very well.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be fine because there are already two consoles with better graphics on the market. If better graphics were a primary incentive for lots of people not to buy a Switch, wouldn't they already not be buying it? Are "even better" graphics really going to sway minds that are already inclined toward Switch?

It's not just "graphics", it's having hardware capable enough to receive ports from Scarlett/PS5

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Of course its gonna be fine - Nintendo portables arent really affected by other homeconsoles.
Where else are you gonna play Animal Crossing ?

Nintendo is gonna be able to get more aggressive with the pricing of hardware and software by next year as well.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I like about Nintendo -and especially the 3DS- is we get some really odd, cool games. I kind of hope we see less ports and more weird stuff due to the ps5 and next Xbox, and if the da line is anything to go by then this will serve them very well.

Yep, a solid base+cheaper development costs (and hardware that makes PS3/X360 games possible, games that still look good today). That is why Switch will be fine even after PS4/XB1.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
z0m3le

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

It's about 3rd party console support more than anything else.
It's simple really.

The concerns about the difficulty of Switch getting PS5/Scarlett ports is overblown because it already gets very few PS4/XBO ports and those aren't the games selling the system.
Minecraft, Fortnite, DQ11S are all heavy hitters on Switch and they help to keep interest in the Switch going. If 3rd party multiplatforms dried up completely, Switch would just be another Nintendo portable, but because it can play console games, it can get games found on these other platforms, making it interesting to a larger market.

Not one of the three options, successor in 2023.
Historically Nintendo doesn't wait until a console is in it's 7th year for a successor to hit the market.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Sony & MS need to release some Switch-type device that doens't run games itself it just serves to stream them from your console to your bed.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Minecraft, Fortnite, DQ11S are all heavy hitters on Switch and they help to keep interest in the Switch going. If 3rd party multiplatforms dried up completely, Switch would just be another Nintendo portable, but because it can play console games, it can get games found on these other platforms, making it interesting to a larger market.

Historically Nintendo doesn't wait until a console is in it's 7th year for a successor to hit the market.
It would be 6, not 7.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's not just "graphics", it's having hardware capable enough to receive ports from Scarlett/PS5

That's the point. It's unlikely that a Switch 2 would be cabable enough to receive ports from Scarlett/PS5 even if the hardware is comparable with a PS4.

Games will be either based on the Switch and scale up to PS5/Scarlett after or not release on Switch at all.

Atleast japanese games (Aside Capcom and SE blockbusters) will probably focus on the Switch, even if there's no Switch 2.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

With increased ports from previous gens, indies, etc. The Switch and future Nintendo systems don't need aaa support to have "3rd party support". Switch isn't getting too much of that now anyways. It's a difference of a handful of games a year.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Because it's a portable system first, and other consoles are not portables, lol.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
To be honest, I'm expecting (or I wish maybe) an higher end TV-only version at some point.
An hybrid console was a logical choice to create a unified software ecosystem, but I don't see why the should limit themselves to a single form factor in the future, as long as the ensure full software compatibilty with lower-end models.

Edit. I'll add they will likely try to counter act PS5/XB2 lanch with software releases. For example, possibly a new 3D Mario and BOTW 2 by fall 2020.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
At worst, it just won't get 3rd party games but 1st party is pulling the majority of weight for Switch anyway. Switch (and probably Switch Pro and Switch 2) won't be able to get next gen only games. Or at least it is quite improbable.

OP
OP
z0m3le

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
With increased ports from previous gens, indies, etc. The Switch and future Nintendo systems don't need aaa support to have "3rd party support". Switch isn't getting too much of that now anyways. It's a difference of a handful of games a year.
The Switch has some of the best 3rd party support we've seen in a Nintendo console in a long time, but it's successor will have better support out of the gate because of the Switch's success, as long as it is possible. That is how the industry works and we've seen it with both the 3DS and Wii U.

It's not about what devices are cooler to support (at least for everyone not named EA), it's about reaching a bigger market and making more money. The Switch "successor" will have more support than a previous generation of it's hardware.

Luck

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Option 3: "New" Switch iterate next FY. But still below capabilities of XB1 in a portable as well in docked modes.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
It's simple really.

Yep and even the best selling third party games seem to be indies that can run on a toaster. Stuff like Cuphead, Celeste, Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I voted Switch pro; that's been my position from the beginning.
The current Switch is at a sweet spot in terms of power, and a real hybrid console, in the sense that it remains close enough to the other machines to receive a port of Witcher 3 with the only concessions being visuals (well worth it for some of us). I expect that Nintendo will take advantage of the intercompatibility between mobile chips to update their hardware every 3 years. And like mobile phones, there will be back compatibility along with some level for forward compatibility.
For instance, Witcher 3 will be Switch "pro enhanced", and Cyberpunk would be Switch "pro exclusive". But the less ambitious games will continue to release on the OG model for the years to come.
If Nintendo doesn't want the Switch to become just another handheld, they need to stay close enough to their competitors; at least that's how I see it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Because they got the best Nintendo games on the market?
Personally i'd still love those games to be on a more powerful Nintendo home console so we would get graphics that don't feel like a gen behind but they're almost at the point where that doesn't matter as much anymore. Maybe two gens.

I buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games or exclusives. Not for multiplats.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Square Enix went out of the way to develop a 3DS specific version of DQXI. Unless they're dumb(and it's not impossible) the Switch will be a priority for the series.

In general the Japanese support the Switch is already getting are either series that are reliant on Nintendo systems or series that had Vita/PS4 releases, which was a similar gap to what Switch/PS5 will be.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i could see a repeat of the wii era where they rest on their laurels and... boom, there is no smart "next move". so for that reason i'd rollout switch 2.0 sooner rather than later, like 2021. if tech allows

i wouldn't consider it cutting switch 1/lite's life short as people will still be buying the shit out of them for evergreens

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think it will be fine too, there's a 2 year cross over gap where previous-gen games are still getting ported (engines are scalable) for "impossible" ports to be made, and there are plenty of xbox 360 games that I want remasters for like the Bioshock trilogy, RDR1, GTA V etc that still needs porting. By the time 3rd parties stop supporting Switch will be roughly the time Switch 2 comes out to pick up the slack. Also, first-party games won't disappear any time soon.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully technology is on the right track to get PS4 quality handheld / PS4Pro docked by around 2022.
I'm not too savvy with that though, so maybe others might be able to shed light.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The Switch already has a hard time keeping up with the PS4 gen, even after massive downgrades.
It's going to get much worse once the PS5 is out.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, Nintendo just got a game from 2015 and people are loving it. I think other people excessively worry about Nintendo not keeping up with the new generation. Few people are playing the switch because of shiny new graphics.

They want on the go gaming not tethered to a TV. If a few devs make great new games, the switch can exist outside of the new generation.

I don't think new more powerful hardware will make or break them. It'll be nice for a small group of players.

OP
OP
z0m3le

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix went out of the way to develop a 3DS specific version of DQXI. Unless they're dumb(and it's not impossible) the Switch will be a priority for the series.

In general the Japanese support the Switch is already getting are either series that are reliant on Nintendo systems or series that had Vita/PS4 releases, which was a similar gap to what Switch/PS5 will be.
Most of the reason Switch is currently left out of current gen games is because of the game card pricing and 64GB cards either not being ready or being much higher priced.

Still, Wii U saw completely new series that never hit Nintendo consoles before, as did the 3DS. Yakuza 1&2 for instance, and Monster Hunter, even a Persona spin-off made it to the 3DS and one is coming to the Switch. The 3rd party support should continue to improve as game card capacities become cheaper and larger over the next 5 years, it shouldn't be unrealistic to see 128GB game cards reach a similar price to where the current 32GB Switch cards are now, meaning it would have more space than a single PS5 disc.

I also think that a more powerful Switch could receive a FF7R port, as the original announcement said it would come to Playstation first, but Square is very open about bringing over any IP they can get on the system, including testing to see if FF15 in it's full console version was possible on the Switch, and said that had they used UE4, it might have been.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Switch has some of the best 3rd party support we've seen in a Nintendo console in a long time, but it's successor will have better support out of the gate because of the Switch's success, as long as it is possible. That is how the industry works and we've seen it with both the 3DS and Wii U.

It's not about what devices are cooler to support (at least for everyone not named EA), it's about reaching a bigger market and making more money. The Switch "successor" will have more support than a previous generation of it's hardware.

I don't see how this is a response to my post

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The switch pro will just be a regular switch with more ram to increase resolution and fps in old games, nothing of this PS4/PS4 pro thing

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's simple really.

Pretty much. People aren't buying the Switch for crappy Ports.
Most indie games are running just fine and of course Nintendos own output is the key factor for hardware sales.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

It will definitely not get every game or close to it. Remains to be seen how many games next gen will push the zen to its limits and require ssd speeds to function properly. Gpu is the easiest thing to scale.

New ARM cpus are really good, they could get well above jaguar performance with existing tech. Will still probably be a large gap though.

And knowing Nintendo the chip they are working on (I assume custom this time, Nvidia has no good candidate in their Tegra pipeline publicly) will definitely have significant compromises for profit reasons.

OP
OP
z0m3le

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a response to my post
I was responding to this part mostly:
"Switch isn't getting too much of that now anyways. It's a difference of a handful of games a year."
My point is that Switch will see more 3rd party support, and it will continue to get closer to day and date support too. That should allow for 3rd party system sellers to start standing out like we saw in the past with SNES or more recently with Microsoft's 360 console.

Jan 2, 2018
My hope is that because the Switch will have strong enough userbase (will probably surpass the XBO by a large margin by the time next gen is out),3rd part publishers will not develop ports for it,but actually dedicated versions of their big games. Think of a Wii to 360/PS3 situation,but in a good way.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was responding to this part mostly:
"Switch isn't getting too much of that now anyways. It's a difference of a handful of games a year."
My point is that Switch will see more 3rd party support, and it will continue to get closer to day and date support too. That should allow for 3rd party system sellers to start standing out like we saw in the past with SNES or more recently with Microsoft's 360 console.

Ok. Even if it sees more, I don't think it changes anything. From 5 games a year to 10.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's like saying the DS will be fine once PS4 launches. Oh course it will. Why would it not?

OP
OP
z0m3le

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It will definitely not get every game or close to it. Remains to be seen how many games next gen will push the zen to its limits and require ssd speeds to function properly. Gpu is the easiest thing to scale.

New ARM cpus are really good, they could get well above jaguar performance with existing tech. Will still probably be a large gap though.

And knowing Nintendo the chip they are working on (I assume custom this time, Nvidia has no good candidate in their Tegra pipeline publicly) will definitely have significant compromises for profit reasons.
Nvidia does have the GTX 1050 and 1050ti GPU that could be brought down to 7nm, 640 cuda cores or 768 cuda cores on 7nm should be more than usable at the clocks i listed in the OP. Nintendo could go with their own CPU like they have in the past, but just having Nvidia put in a standard A76 should be very capable of handling next gen software, at least it should be closer than the current Switch's CPU is to the current base PS4.
Ok. Even if it sees more, I don't think it changes anything. From 5 games a year to 10.
How many big 3rd party games release a year? We are also talking about the "Successor" coming out at the beginning of next generation, rather than in the second half of this current generation. That changes support, not to mention that 3rd parties were not going to widely support it during it's first year, where as next Switch should see that doubling of support happen day 1 and increase over it's life time as long as sales of the hardware are promising.

Also, it's not like 3rd party games don't sell on the Switch, there have been a lot of 3rd party million sellers on the Switch.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
At worst, it just won't get 3rd party games but 1st party is pulling the majority of weight for Switch anyway. Switch (and probably Switch Pro and Switch 2) won't be able to get next gen only games. Or at least it is quite improbable.

People said the same thing about current Switch, and now we have games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Overwatch, Dragon Quest XI, Witcher3, Hellblade, Outer Worlds, etc. on Switch.