• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Clerks, Beavis and Butthead, arcades/video games going mainstream, Jackass, Pauly Shore... I'm sure missing a ton here.

why was the 90s so filled with pop culture of kids bored with nothing to do but fuck around? Was the youth largely apathetic at the time? Or what exactly was going on?

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Bro, their internet was slow as fuck. For the first half of the decade they didn't even have internet. Imagine the boredom. IMAGINE IT!

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if I'd say videogames were mainstream, it was still seen as a pretty geeky thing to do.

Also, we had way less videogames to play unless your family was well off.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Economy was fairly strong for most the 90's. Rent was comparatively cheap (my one bedroom apartment in Austin right near UT campus was literally only $300 a month), and ambition was generally pretty low among Gen-Xers at the time. These are broad generalizations, obviously, and not true everywhere of course.

Oct 30, 2017
you ever been 8 years old in 1997 and have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon than to watch a Cubs game on WGN?

that was basically the bulk of the 90s for me.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's a matter of perspective.

What do kids do now instead of "fucking around"? Streaming on Twitch and Tiktok? I honestly don't see a very "productive" youth in this day and age. When I was a teenager, in the 90's, all my friends and I hustled, and had jobs, and bands and pretty much always had something going on. I mean Beavis and Butthead aren't real. Clerks is a work of fiction. The Jackass guys turned fucking around into a TV show then Hollywood movie. Pauley Shore was HUGE movie star. Hard to call him "bored" when he worked constantly. I just look at my teenage nephew and his lazy ass friends, and they literally do nothing. Like none of them have jobs. None of them are involved in any artistic pursuits or anything like that. They basically just stream themselves on Instagram hitting dabs all day, or stream themselves playing video games, and I just feel like in the 90's kids/teenagers were way more productive because we didn't have the internet to just occupy our brains 100% of the time.

I guess you're just saying "Why were kids portrayed as "bored" in the media"...and that's mostly because the adults who wrote that stuff think that kids are lazy because every generation feels like that about the generation that's younger then them. Because as an adult you have to work all day and you see all the freedom kids have and how they do nothing with that freedom like you feel like you would if you had their freedom, but in reality it's because they're kids and they're probably broke and you can't really go out and do much if you don't have money.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
summer in the 90s was boring as hell with no internet and old games

we lived too far from anyone and eventually my only friend moved away, my parents never did anything with me and were always at work or with their friends

tv was just repeats over and over, no way for me to get any new media, too young to work

my childhood was mostly defined by boredom

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Clerks, Beavis and Butthead, arcades/video games going mainstream, Jackass, Pauly Shore... I'm sure missing a ton here.

why was the 90s so filled with pop culture of kids bored with nothing to do but fuck around? Was the youth largely apathetic at the time? Or what exactly was going on?

Apply this to the entire 90s. Spoiler alert it's white privilege.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Teenagers are always bored. Ours was just the first to make portrayals of it popular. But not even that really because there are tons of old movies and shows with teens just hanging out somewhere not doing anything.

OP
OP
Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Teenagers are always bored. Ours was just the first to make portrayals of it popular. But not even that really because there are tons of old movies and shows with teens just hanging out somewhere not doing anything.

right but is almost like the decade was defined culturally in the media or in retrospect as this era of indifference. Large swaths of youth hanging out doing... nothing?

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I don't miss is waiting for public transport and having nothing to do, now you can read anything on your phone.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
withdrawals from the 80s cocaine benders

But it was 90s grunge, punks, freaks aesthetic. Detached, nihilistic. Kinda like how the 2000s emo aesthetic would be hurting inside, emotional, and the 2010s/2020 aesthetic is outrage or hyperbolic emotive..... "I'M LITERALLY DYING" "SCREAMING RN" (as you're sitting emotionless behind a phone). The aesthetic in the 90s was to be nihilistic, detached, who cares, which comes across as 'bored.' As Yaboosh mentioned, the latchkey generation... Both parents at work, so you let yourself into the house (common today, but less common then in the suburbs... seen as a generational change, the First Lady wore a powersuit, not a dress and was testifying about the importance of universal healthcare), cable TV was in a lot of homes so you vegged out watching top 10 MTV, listening to the radio, sitting around, existing in places. That ended up getting carried into movies like Mallrats, shows like Bevis and Butthead.

I can say now as a child of 80s/90s I'm never bored. I feel lucky to have been a kid without some set schedule of activities every day. Like, I didn't have ... yknow baseball practice at 830am, soccer at 11am, playdate at 2pm, dinner at X's house at 4pm, repeat, on the weekends duriing the summer we did *nothing* So, I did the normal chores, and then made fun with kids around the neighborhood basically every day from 9am to 6pm or so. I'm thankful for that now. My brother in law was born in... 1999 I think and my in-laws talk about his schedule back as a kid, like, travel hockey getting up at 530 and travelling to Albany for a hockey tournament starting at 930 through to 430 or something... and then baseball, soccer, etc. And my wife similar with dance, gymnastics, softball, etc. I played YMCA basketball from like age 7 to 13 or so, and I loved that, but I'm glad it was just one activity... One game on Saturdays for like 2mos a year.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

This, really. There was this image that communism had ended, Western democracy was working perfectly without any need to get involved with it, climate change seemed far away, and politics was only for boring careerists

So why bother fighting for anything?

(also letting boring careerists run our countries, without paying attention to what they're actually doing, is probably why we are where we are now)

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
you needed money to do anything and you didnt have entertainment at your fingertips.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
right but is almost like the decade was defined culturally in the media or in retrospect as this era of indifference. Large swaths of youth hanging out doing... nothing?
Yeah, pretty much. The internet was in its infancy, no one had cellphones, and cable tv (no Tivo) was the best you could get. Media wasn't nearly as interactive as it was now, almost nothing was on demand or interactive.

Without cell phones, it was difficult to connect with people on the go. Once you were out of the house, you were unreachable, so you tended to hang out with people because you had no clue what else was going on (unless you already had plans).

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
-The internet technically existed but no one had it yet, and those that did had to wait forever to load anything
-Video games existed but the number of games that came out back then were incredibly small compared to today, you might go months in between getting new games.
-TV existed but you had no control over what was coming on when. Missed Saturday morning cartoons? Enjoy midday golf. Home sick? Cool, I hope you like Nick Jr and The Price is Right.

Also if you're looking at pop culture, I feel like most kids in media live in the suburbs where you need a car to go to ANYTHING (which you don't have because you're a kid).

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that I've realised and am very thankful for is that I grew up in the relatively small window (1991-2010?) where kids could be kids, and didn't have to cope with the sense of impending doom by either nuclear war (pre-1991) or climate collapse (post-2010). That has to have some lasting mental effects on kids.

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
I wasn't bored in the 90s. Had internet, go out with friends, comics, concerts were cheap gas was cheap

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand how any of that conveys boredom or anything out of the ordinary, though that probably just how different life must be for kids now.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No generation defining war, no proper internet, the counter-culture movement that rolled their eyes at the american dream/9-5 job/white picket fence.

Everything felt kind of aimless and directionless for many young people in the 90s.

It was kind of a "fuck it, nothing matters" decade.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Because their rock music was more depressing.
nTW6fYeHh_gbn20NyPMqbjOs43g=.gif

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think daily life was too different at least until internet, just that malls and alternative folk got trendy and several pieces of media had success with that. Even late 90's it took a while for internet to disseminate into a large percentage of the population and didn't really feel different until post-2000. I lived in middle of nowhere back then though.