• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
FiveThirtyEight has obtained nearly 3 million tweets from accounts associated with the Internet Research Agency. To our knowledge, it's the fullest empirical record to date of Russian trolls' actions on social media, showing a relentless and systematic onslaught. In concert with the researchers who first pulled the tweets, FiveThirtyEight is uploading them to Github so that others can explore the data for themselves.

The data set is the work of two professors at Clemson University: Darren Linvill and Patrick Warren. Using advanced social media tracking software, they pulled the tweets from thousands of accounts that Twitter has acknowledged as being associated with the IRA. The professors shared their data with FiveThirtyEight in the hope that other researchers, and the broader public, will explore it and share what they find. "So far it's only had two brains looking at it," Linvill said of their trove of tweets. "More brains might find God-knows-what."

In the paper, Linvill and Warren divide the IRA's trolling into five distinct categories, or roles: Right Troll, Left Troll, News Feed, Hashtag Gamer and Fearmonger. (These category codes are included in the data.)

Right Troll and Left Troll are the meat of the agency's trolling campaign. Right Trolls behave like "bread-and-butter MAGA Americans, only all they do is talk about politics all day long," Linvill said. Left Trolls often adopt the personae of Black Lives Matter activists, typically expressing support for Bernie Sanders and derision for Hillary Clinton, along with "clearly trying to divide the Democratic Party and lower voter turnout." News Feeds are a bit of a mystery: They present themselves as local news aggregators, with names such as @OnlineMemphis and @TodayPittsburgh, and the news they link to is typically legitimate. Hashtag Gamers specialize in playing hashtag games (e.g., #LessInterestingBooks might give rise to the tweet "Waldo's Right Here"); many of their tweets are harmless wordplay in the spirit of the games, but some are socially divisive, in the style of Right Trolls or Left Trolls. And Fearmongers, relatively rare in the data set, spread news about a fake crisis, such as salmonella-contaminated turkeys around Thanksgiving, or the toxic chemical fumes described at the beginning of the New York Times Magazine article about the Internet Research Agency.
roeder-russiantweets-2.png

A lot of interesting information about Russian trolling efforts here. The Github with the full dataset is available in the article.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see what a russian troll account looks like. I've called out a ton of flag avatar bearing, Trump supporting MAGA crazies on Twiiter, but I'm curious if those are really russian bots.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Those news feed and hashtag game categories are interesting. Wonder what kind of analysis led to their deployment. With news it's kind of understandable (report legitimate news to build trust then report fake news) but the hashtag games one isn't something I thought would have much influence over public opinion.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, Twitter should start a verification system so that all members can get blue checkmarks with the proper vetting. Then it will be easier to filter out trolls and bots. If bumble can do it, so can the social media giants.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Those news feed and hashtag game categories are interesting. Wonder what kind of analysis led to their deployment. With news it's kind of understandable (report legitimate news to build trust then report fake news) but the hashtag games one isn't something I thought would have much influence over public opinion.
My immediate gut guess is that since the trolls are real people on the clock at some Russian troll farm, that they get bored like anyone in an office setting and are just goofing off and having fun. The Russian troll version of browsing an internet forum while at work.

But I'm sure it's actually something super nefarious I'd never have thought of.

Nov 18, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, Twitter should start a verification system so that all members can get blue checkmarks with the proper vetting. Then it will be easier to filter out trolls and bots. If bumble can do it, so can the social media giants.

This.

At this point governments need to step in. It's a platform being used to spread hate speech by foreign nationals into everyone's home and pockets. Twitter are complicit.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take note of the enormous spike in the Left Troll chart. That was on October 6th, the day before Wikileaks dropped the first Podesta emails. The government hasn't alleged it yet, but it seems almost certain that there was coordination between the troll farm and hacking operations.
They don't need to allege it when the troll farm and hacking operations are both Russian-run.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
"Left troll: tries to divide the Democratic party"

Hmmm, that tactic seems familiar.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
They use video games (and movies, comics, etc.) to indoctrinate young disaffected white men. Gamergate was a huge step towards revealing how easy it is to take a bunch of self-indulgent, indolent majority rule addicted people and turn them into a weapon against everyone and anything that isn't part of their very specific identity group.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to allege it when the troll farm and hacking operations are both Russian-run.
I mean, yeah, but the IRA and GRU are separate entities. It could have been possible for both of them to be on similar missions to fuck with the election without closely coordinating timing and efforts with one another. It's definitely not surprising for them to have been in communication and working together.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine a world where twitter doesn't exist anymore..... but I wouldn't be able to find good deals from Wario64

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Speculation about news aggregators: spend years cultivating a userbase who trusts you so you can spread lies right before an election.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
At this point governments need to step in. It's a platform being used to spread hate speech by foreign nationals into everyone's home and pockets. Twitter are complicit.

I really don't think you want Donald Trump telling Twitter what it can and can't do. The only thing that will change Twitter is a better Twitter type app at some point in the future.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
My boys at Clemson doing work.

Back when I graduated in 2014 I thought the "Social Media Listening Center" was a total waste of time and money. Welp.

I can't believe this works. Getting into political arguments with strangers on the internet is actually the worst way to spend any amount of time.

Oct 30, 2017
During the election I always wondered by such a large percentage of Pro Trump and Pro Bernie social media messages sounded so alike. They tended to be vile , hateful, and just plain crass so much of the time. As if by the same people who's only goal is to shit on Hillary.